ADVERTISEMENT

VB: "Two huge volleyball matches..." On. NOW on ESPN.

Watching Louisville Creighton now. Louisville looking pretty good. Very good in the middle so far.

My kid asked the question yesterday and it's valid; what's going on with college volleyball with all of these upsets?

Two things jump out to me. How many schools have these dynamic young players that are walking in and starting? Seems like the overall talent level took a huge bump in the last couple of years. The only other thing that changed was getting rid of the double. I've seen some plays where it definitely mattered but I can't speak for whether this is a larger part of what we're seeing or not.

My kid asked the question yesterday and it's valid; what's going on with college volleyball with all of these upsets?

Two things jump out to me. How many schools have these dynamic young players that are walking in and starting? Seems like the overall talent level took a huge bump in the last couple of years. The only other thing that changed was getting rid of the double. I've seen some plays where it definitely mattered but I can't speak for whether this is a larger part of what we're seeing or not.
Yeah. There are more 3-0 sweeps and reverse sweeps. In the Stanford Texas game, the serve receive was the deciding factor. Emphasis on serving as a difference maker. To be fair, a team can have the greatest PINS but get them out of system, and they are a lot more ordinary. I think for Pitt, that is why Cat serving or Dillyn serving is such a big deal.

Yeah. There are more 3-0 sweeps and reverse sweeps. In the Stanford Texas game, the serve receive was the deciding factor. Emphasis on serving as a difference maker. To be fair, a team can have the greatest PINS but get them out of system, and they are a lot more ordinary. I think for Pitt, that is why Cat serving or Dillyn serving is such a big deal.
Can't run your offense if you can't pass. This is true at every level.

One of the problems that USAV has to address is the specialization that occurs so early in club. Oh, you're tall? Go play middle, don't worry about back row. Then one day she wakes up and she's 16, everyone is her size or bigger. and now she's struggling to play outside because she can't receive a serve.

Reactions: mike412
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT