ADVERTISEMENT

VB: vs Stanford - 10/20/24 Match Info

You can warm up by watching this at 1:00 pm on ACCNX:

Oh yeah. No doubt. I’ll be turning that on at 1:30, after my Chelsea vs Liverpool that I’m watching now.

Chelsea soccer
Pitt soccer
Pitt volleyball
Steelers.

My day is full, after watching Pitt soccer last night over such things as Texas/Georgia.

But I’m weird like that.

Oh yeah. No doubt. I’ll be turning that on at 1:30, after my Chelsea vs Liverpool that I’m watching now.

Chelsea soccer
Pitt soccer
Pitt volleyball
Steelers.

My day is full, after watching Pitt soccer last night over such things as Texas/Georgia.

But I’m weird like that.
And you were rewarded with a Top Ten win by the Panthers!

Oh, and also, Eff the SEC!

images

💙💛💙💛💙💛

Granted, there's a big advantage to playing on your home court in front of an SRO crowd. And Stanford has been on the road since last Tuesday. BUT --- I have no doubt that Pitt is the better team.
Hard to find fault with any aspect of Pitt's game today; everyone played very well.
I'm sure they'll be ready for Louisville as well.
My only gripe, as I mentioned in a previous post, is the sheer number of points streamed from a camera behind the end line. The viewer "pretty much" has no idea of what's happening. I can't believe it has yet to dawn on the production people.

Reactions: ChooChoo Panther
The difference in quality between the two setters was the thing that stood out most for me. Fairbanks was so far superior that it wasn’t even a contest. I don’t know how many blocks Stanford got, but it wasn’t many. And, a lot of that was because Stanford could not read who Fairbanks was going to setup for the kill. They very seldom had two blockers squared up against our hitter. Just like good QBs look off defensive backs, Fairbanks keeps opponents guessing as to where her sets are going.

The difference in quality between the two setters was the thing that stood out most for me. Fairbanks was so far superior that it wasn’t even a contest. I don’t know how many blocks Stanford got, but it wasn’t many. And, a lot of that was because Stanford could not read who Fairbanks was going to setup for the kill. They very seldom had two blockers squared up against our hitter. Just like good QBs look off defensive backs, Fairbanks keeps opponents guessing as to where her sets are going.
Stanford hit .090, Pitt hit .351. That is a good indication of what you said.

Pitt won the match by scoring about 7 pts/set more than Stanford.....25 - 18.
  • Service errors were only a small factor in the point differential (+ 1 pt/set for Stanford) and so were the blocking stats (+ 1 pt/set for Pitt).
  • Most of the point differential was kills.....Pitt had 47 kills....Stanford 29.
  • The assist line was Pitt 45....Stanford 27.
  • Fairbanks had 35 assists....Stanford's setter....Kami Minor had only 25. Fairbanks setting.....as you suggested....was just about flawless. Both are All Americans but Fairbanks was clearly superior today.
  • To make matters worse for Stanford.....they only mustered 2 additional assists....whereas Pitt had 4 other players chip in with 10 additional assists to add to the 35 assists from Fairbanks.
When Pitt is clicking like today....the team plays like a 'Swiss army knife'.....kills, assists, serves, blocks, and digs seem to be part of the skill set of every player on the team.

Last edited:
The post game press conferences are always a great opportunity to gain insight with how Fish is thinking. Thinks the back row D is underated. Thought the "small ball" play was less than usual. Really trying to find perfection.

I think the game Friday with Louisville will be harder. Louisville is better defensively that Stanford. Really looking forward to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT