ADVERTISEMENT

VBALL - NCAA D1 Volleyball Committee ranks Pitt #4 thru 10/29/22

Top-4 at this point is a big advantage. Certainly, that committee could change their minds and re-order the top few in December anyway... But being clearly ahead of OSU, Stanford, and even Wisconsin right now is great insight into their criteria.

For Pitt, it might be as simple as Pitt beating GT and losing at Louisville while SD manages to drop at least one remaining contest. I can't imagine anyone 6-10 is going to win out.

Top-4 at this point is a big advantage. Certainly, that committee could change their minds and re-order the top few in December anyway... But being clearly ahead of OSU, Stanford, and even Wisconsin right now is great insight into their criteria.

For Pitt, it might be as simple as Pitt beating GT and losing at Louisville while SD manages to drop at least one remaining contest. I can't imagine anyone 6-10 is going to win out.
This was my point last week when the one poll had tOSU ranked ahead of Pitt. I understand schedule strength, but I never understood why teams like tOSU get rewarded for losing 3 more games than other teams like Pitt simply because those 3 games were to ranked opponents. An accumulation of losses should matter and it shouldn’t matter who they’re against. Winning matters. And in this case it seems the NCAA gets it.

I don’t know volleyball. What does it mean holding Hokies to 0.037 hitting?
What is hitting percentage? * Answer: (kills – errors)/total attacks: (K-E / TA) * Note that if a player has more errors than kills, this will be a negative number * Example: Sarah Smith has 20 kills, 5 errors and 60 total attacks. Her hitting percentage would be . 250 (20-5 = 15; 15/60 = .250

Virginia Tech's total was actually a minus percentage (-.037) because as a team, they had more attack errors than they had kills during the match.

Reactions: Pitt MD
This was my point last week when the one poll had tOSU ranked ahead of Pitt. I understand schedule strength, but I never understood why teams like tOSU get rewarded for losing 3 more games than other teams like Pitt simply because those 3 games were to ranked opponents. An accumulation of losses should matter and it shouldn’t matter who they’re against. Winning matters. And in this case it seems the NCAA gets it.

If that is the way that you want to seed your tournament then what you are telling your teams is to not schedule any difficult non-conference games under any circumstances. If you penalize Ohio State because they lost two games to the top ranked team in the country then you are telling Ohio State to never schedule a game like that.

Typically that has not been the message that the NCAA has wanted to send, in any sport.

If that is the way that you want to seed your tournament then what you are telling your teams is to not schedule any difficult non-conference games under any circumstances. If you penalize Ohio State because they lost two games to the top ranked team in the country then you are telling Ohio State to never schedule a game like that.

Typically that has not been the message that the NCAA has wanted to send, in any sport.
Schedule some tough games, sure. But sometimes you have to win them. They have 3 more losses than Pitt and one was to Pitt. If they had 4 losses instead of the 5, then maybe they’d be ahead of Pitt above. All they’ve shown is that they can mostly beat the good teams and mostly lose to the very good teams. So planting them outside of the top 5 is fair.

Reactions: Zepley09
Schedule some tough games, sure. But sometimes you have to win them. They have 3 more losses than Pitt and one was to Pitt. If they had 4 losses instead of the 5, then maybe they’d be ahead of Pitt above. All they’ve shown is that they can mostly beat the good teams and mostly lose to the very good teams. So planting them outside of the top 5 is fair.

They have wins over the teams ranked 5, 18, 10, 15, 9 and 15 in this week's poll.

By way of comparison, we have wins over 18, 6, 10 and 5.

So if all they have shown is that they can mostly beat the good teams, what, exactly, have we shown?

They have wins over the teams ranked 5, 18, 10, 15, 9 and 15 in this week's poll.

By way of comparison, we have wins over 18, 6, 10 and 5.

So if all they have shown is that they can mostly beat the good teams, what, exactly, have we shown?
We beat them and a win vs #2 and didn’t lose 5 matches.

Reactions: Zepley09
You know that Ohio State beat Louisville too, right?

Only they played them at Louisville. And only needed four sets, if you think that sort of thing matters.
What matters, Joe, are wins. And the NCAA agrees…allegedly. Pollsters may not, but that’s nothing new.

What matters, Joe, are wins. And the NCAA agrees…allegedly. Pollsters may not, but that’s nothing new.

Well first of all, everything that the NCAA has done in the past, in pretty much every sport, is show that wins are not the only thing that matters.

Secondly, what the NCAA says today doesn't have a whole lot to do with what they are going to say in another month, when what they say actually matters.

Well first of all, everything that the NCAA has done in the past, in pretty much every sport, is show that wins are not the only thing that matters.

Secondly, what the NCAA says today doesn't have a whole lot to do with what they are going to say in another month, when what they say actually matters.
If tOSU can stack some wins against ranked teams before the tourney, which they’ll have a chance to do in that conference, then maybe they leapfrog Pitt if Pitt stumbles. But if Pitt doesn’t, tOSU won’t jump them. And shouldn’t. The ACC winner will get one of the 4 top seeds, assuming it’s Pitt or Louisville. It would be hard to see both get top 4.

If tOSU can stack some wins against ranked teams before the tourney, which they’ll have a chance to do in that conference, then maybe they leapfrog Pitt if Pitt stumbles. But if Pitt doesn’t, tOSU won’t jump them. And shouldn’t. The ACC winner will get one of the 4 top seeds, assuming it’s Pitt or Louisville. It would be hard to see both get top 4.

I think if we win the rest we get a top 4 for sure. But I think it's going to be really dicey if we lose even one more. Even beating Louisville at Louisville but then coming home and losing to Georgia Tech is going to be touch and go.

I think this season is particularly incestuous. A whole bunch of top-10 teams all played and beat each other, so the way we interpret those results changes almost weekly.
I’ve watched all the top 15 teams, multiple times for each team.

Don’t ask me to pick a favorite to win the National Championship, several are capable of getting hot a tournament time and making a run - including Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT