ADVERTISEMENT

VCU Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** A good “friend from the board” from the past reached out to me last night, telling me he still often looks for my post-game dribbles while admiring my loyalty and devotion to our Panthers.

** I was flattered by these thoughts as I hold this individual in the highest regard. But I also confessed that I continue to feel my passion wane. And that’s even more discouraging to me personally than our troubling 0-2 trip to the Barclay’s.

** I suspect the main reason I’ve continued this mostly pointless exercise of post-game comments is now just for the opportunity to write. That’s because what looks like it will be seven straight losing seasons just isn’t providing much inspiration.

** But enough about me. How about our Panthers?

** Or maybe it’s better to say how about those Twins?

** They sure were a heck of a lot of fun to watch in that first half. They were loaded with gorgeous youthful enthusiasm while demonstrating a partnership that only their particular genetic connection could provide.

** And this isn’t to say that the Twins played exceptionally. Actually, I’d describe their play as more functional than anything. I’ve made it no secret that I’m not as excited about their potential as others. Regardless, thank goodness they showed up in the first half to account for 58% of our paltry 24 point sum.

** If any good came from this loss it’s probably that Capel should feel compelled to give them greater minutes going forward and more chances to make a believer out of one such as me.

** It was also noteworthy that Capel moved Blake Hinson to the three to make minutes for the Twins in the second half. And why not? On this night, this lineup gave the Panthers the best chance to win.

** So at halftime, I suggested that our Panthers would probably need at least 40 points to have a chance to win this one. I was wrong. They got 43 and it wasn’t enough, because things fell out on the defensive end in period two.

** Part of the defensive problems were from the reality that our aforementioned Twins just didn’t have the bulk to thwart a backing down Brandin John, or the quickness to deal with Zeb Johnson.

** But putting any blame for this loss on the Twins would be extremely poorly placed. It’s more of a recognition that we shouldn’t have needed to rely on them for success down the stretch against an Atlantic 10 team.

** It’s hard to know what this team’s formula for success will be. They don’t look like they have much to bring to the defensive end. They aren’t a team who relies on offensive execution. And they have some decent but inconsistent individual offensive talents. In today’s first half, two of those talents, Burton and Nelly simply did not show up. And I suspect Elliott will have some decent games like the first three and some stinkers like tonight.

** Blake Hinson was fine offensively, but he’s got to stay out of foul trouble. And maybe more importantly, maybe HCJC will decide instead not to sit him down so long when he picks up two fouls.

** And of course Big John will help plenty. But I’m not even sure how he actually improves the formula.

** Nonetheless, I think even the biggest fans of the Twins would agree is that relying on their scoring to keep us in games on a regular basis this year is unlikely a wise recipe.

** I surely expect to see a better performance on Sunday. It sure as heck better be against an opponent ranked #349 according to Pomeroy.

** And I’ll be there again after missing WVU. I'll likely write about it afterward too. I suppose that’s loyalty. Maybe it's devotion. I just wish my greater motivation was enjoying a great basketball team as was the case 10 to 20 years ago.

** A good “friend from the board” from the past reached out to me last night, telling me he still often looks for my post-game dribbles while admiring my loyalty and devotion to our Panthers.

** I was flattered by these thoughts as I hold this individual in the highest regard. But I also confessed that I continue to feel my passion wane. And that’s even more discouraging to me personally than our troubling 0-2 trip to the Barclay’s.

** I suspect the main reason I’ve continued this mostly pointless exercise of post-game comments is now just for the opportunity to write. That’s because what looks like it will be seven straight losing season just isn’t providing much inspiration.

** They sure were a heck of a lot of fun to watch in that first half. They were loaded with gorgeous youthful enthusiasm while demonstrating a partnership that only their particular genetic connection could provide.

** And this isn’t to say that they played exceptionally. Actually, I’d describe their play as more functional than anything. I’ve made it no secret that I’m not as excited about their potential as others. Regardless, thank goodness they showed up in the first half to account for 58% of our paltry 24 point sum.

** If any good came from this loss it’s probably that Capel should feel compelled to give them greater minutes going forward and more chances to make a believer out of one such as me.

** It was also noteworthy that Capel also moved Blake Hinson to the three to make minutes for the Twins in the second half. And why not? On this night, this lineup gave the Panthers the best chance to win.

** So at halftime, I suggested that our Panthers would probably need at least 40 points to have a chance to win this one. I was wrong. They got 43 and it wasn’t enough, because things fell out on the defensive end in period two.

** Part of the defensive problems were from the reality that our aforementioned Twins just didn’t have the bulk to thwart a backing down Brandin John, or the quickness to deal with Zeb Johnson.

** But putting any blame for this loss on the Twins would be extremely poorly placed. It’s more of a recognition that we shouldn’t have needed to rely on them for success down the stretch against an Atlantic 10 team.

** It’s hard to know what this team’s formula for success will be. They don’t look like they have much to bring to the defensive end. They aren’t a team who relies on offensive execution. And they have some decent but inconsistent individual offensive talents. In today’s first half, two of those talents, Burton and Nelly simply did not show up. And I suspect Elliott will have some decent games like the first three and some stinkers like tonight.

** Blake Hinson was fine offensively, but he’s got to stay out of foul trouble. And maybe more importantly, maybe HCJC will decide instead not to sit him down so long when he picks up two fouls.

** And of course Big John will help plenty. But I’m not sure how he actually improves the formula.

** Nonetheless, I think even the biggest fans of the Twins would agree is that relying on their scoring to keep us in games on a regular basis this year is unlikely a wise recipe.

** I surely expect to see a better performance on Sunday. It sure as heck better be against an opponent ranked #349 according to Pomeroy.

** And I’ll be there again after missing WVU. I'll likely write about it afterward too. I suppose that’s loyalty. Maybe it's devotion. I just wish my greater motivation was enjoying a great basketball team as was the case 10 to 20 years ago.
What’s that saying about insanity.. or a mental illness? I too, look forward to your thoughts. It just doesn’t seem like there was even a game to watch if not for DT’s musings afterwards

Reactions: jctrack and TWPitt

** I suspect the main reason I’ve continued this mostly pointless exercise of post-game comments is now just for the opportunity to write. That’s because what looks like it will be seven straight losing season just isn’t providing much inspiration.

** And this isn’t to say that the Twins played exceptionally. Actually, I’d describe their play as more functional than anything. I’ve made it no secret that I’m not as excited about their potential as others. Regardless, thank goodness they showed up in the first half to account for 58% of our paltry 24 point sum.

** It was also noteworthy that Capel also moved Blake Hinson to the three to make minutes for the Twins in the second half. And why not? On this night, this lineup gave the Panthers the best chance to win.

** And of course Big John will help plenty. But I’m not even sure how he actually improves the formula.

I love the way you write, even when it's about a team that sucks ass. Thank you for the dribbles

I think the twins will become very good players by their 3rd/4th year. It won't be here though. They have that perfect Euro game for college basketball. If this was a Dixon team and those dudes were playing, I'd be excited to see them become big time players late in their career.

Ill keep my response short. I think we have a promising frontcourt with the twins included, I said that after the first game. Hinson is a player.

I dont think Hugley is going to be anywhere close to 100% until next year. He is also out of shape and gained weight and my expectations for him this year are now greatly reduced. He was no where near the player against Michigan as he was against the double teams he faced every game last year.

I think Sibande is a shell of himself after his injury. He was average before his injury, now, he is just a body out there and its not his fault he got injured.

Our guard play is a mess, including the point guard position, on both ends of the court. Our guards don't value the basketball and turnovers are a major problem.

Even If Jaland Lowe and Carlton Carrington were all conference performers as freshmen, we are still going to be short on guard talent as a team next season unless there is at least 1 more major addition.

If by some miracle Dior comes back, I could see things getting a lot better with an actual point guard on the team. Until then, its going to be challenging.

Reactions: PollCat99
Ill keep my response short. I think we have a promising frontcourt with the twins included, I said that after the first game. Hinson is a player.

I dont think Hugley is going to be anywhere close to 100% until next year. He is also out of shape and gained weight and my expectations for him this year are now greatly reduced. He was no where near the player against Michigan as he was against the double teams he faced every game last year.

I think Sibande is a shell of himself after his injury. He was average before his injury, now, he is just a body out there and its not his fault he got injured.

Our guard play is a mess, including the point guard position, on both ends of the court. Our guards don't value the basketball and turnovers are a major problem.

Even If Jaland Lowe and Carlton Carrington were all conference performers as freshmen, we are still going to be short on guard talent as a team next season unless there is at least 1 more major addition.

If by some miracle Dior comes back, I could see things getting a lot better with an actual point guard on the team. Until then, its going to be challenging.

You gotta feel for Nike.

Beyond Nike, our other guards have played a total of 350 college basketball games. One would think they would have caught onto valuing the ball by now.

You gotta feel for Nike.

Beyond Nike, our other guards have played a total of 350 college basketball games. One would think they would have caught onto valuing the ball by now.
This coaching staff has made every guard worse. Literally not one guard has gotten better being here.

We did finally try playing big for awhile. With our current guard play maybe we should try it more often.

Maybe we should see if Santos can play the two. i thought he has looked better so far this year.

You gotta feel for Nike.

I don’t doubt these kids value possession. (Minus the Elliott brainfart inbound pass) I question if they embody the skill set to prove it.

I am not surprised to see all the negativity this morning. However, I for one (maybe the only one) was at least somewhat encouraged by what I saw. Maybe I feel that way because I saw improvement on several fronts and maybe because it fits my thesis that we should play 3 bigs and only two smaller guys and not 1 and 4. I have it in my head also that Jim Boeheim would really like and do much with this roster because he could employ his zone well with it.

Perhaps, the light will come on for Jeff Capel. When you keep doing the same old things you can expect the same old results.

Reactions: jctrack
I am not surprised to see all the negativity this morning. However, I for one (maybe the only one) was at least somewhat encouraged by what I saw. Maybe I feel that way because I saw improvement on several fronts and maybe because it fits my thesis that we should play 3 bigs and only two smaller guys and not 1 and 4. I have it in my head also that Jim Boeheim would really like and do much with this roster because he could employ his zone well with it.

Perhaps, the light will come on for Jeff Capel. When you keep doing the same old things you can expect the same old results.

This team is nowhere near as bad as this board thinks it is. We have 3 losses without our best player vs teams who will be in the NCAAT in March. We haven't looked good but and we may suck but its too early to be saying this team is worse than 0-18. That's absurd. The ACC is bad. The team won 6 last year and will win more this year, provided Hugley is healthy.

This team is nowhere near as bad as this board thinks it is. We have 3 losses without our best player vs teams who will be in the NCAAT in March. We haven't looked good but and we may suck but its too early to be saying this team is worse than 0-18. That's absurd. The ACC is bad. The team won 6 last year and will win more this year, provided Hugley is healthy.
He’s worth 2 wins thru the entire schedule. This is a BAD BAD team. And Hugley ate his way out of being a decent player. He’d be a good 4th to 5th guy. Not a lead guy

** I suspect the main reason I’ve continued this mostly pointless exercise of post-game comments is now just for the opportunity to write. That’s because what looks like it will be seven straight losing seasons just isn’t providing much inspiration.

I always appreciate your insights -
Since they are always based in kindness
Where as mine are blunt anger and disappointment lately

I've been called the greatest Pitt fan by my close friends. I couldn't put a patch on your ass. You're the greatest. One of my favorite things about Pitt basketball is your Dribbles. That's no lie.

Coming into the season the two strengths of this team were expected to Big John and the guards . Well unfortunately that’s not what’s happened .

Big Johns injury is just something that occurs in sports and there’s no one to blame for it , even JC ! Now his subsequent weight gain by not being able play and workout effectively to keep his lifelong weight issue under control will hurt his rehab and effectiveness . This is looking like it could be a lost season for him .( and Pitt )

The guards is another story , Dior was an unexpected gift so what we’re seeing now without Dior is what JC was intending to play this season with .That is JC fault , not Dior’s legal issues .

If I was JC , and no I’m not resigning , I’d go big . Get the twins as much PT as I could and try and sell to Heather that next yr with the incoming freshman and the twins ,Hugley and Henson and a few portal guys and maybe Dior we’re on our way . There’s nothing to hang your hat on for this season . It looks bleak .

If I was Heather I’d be singing I Won’t Get Fooled Again by The Who .

• Haha
I've been called the greatest Pitt fan by my close friends. I couldn't put a patch on your ass. You're the greatest. One of my favorite things about Pitt basketball is your Dribbles. That's no lie.
It can’t be the caliber of play !

Thank you for continuing to post...I do come on the board post game to read the dribbles after each game...win or lose...

The fouling HAS to stop. The relatively “better” players on the team HAVE to be on the court for significant minutes. These guys just aren’t playing D the way it has to be played: by moving their feet. They are leaning, reaching, grabbing. Slow to react. Little anticipation. And very poor situational awareness In terms of how the game is being called and their own number of fouls.

Last night, just when Cummings started to feel it a bit and get into more of his scoring mode, he picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls within moments of each other and that was that.

The fouling led to Pitt having a -12 point differential from the FT line. With the offensive challenges this team has, it‘s almost impossible for them to win in the face of that.

One final SMH moment: that long pass that Elliot attempted late that resulted in a critical turnover. 🤦‍♂️ Just reckless and totally unnecessary for a veteran player to make that kind of error in judgment AND execution.

Nike with only 4 minutes last night. Hurt? Ill? If there was a game where Pitt could have used him, it was last night. Elliot played 37 minutes And didn’t play well at all in any aspect. Anyone can have a bad game, but would’ve thought Sibande may have been given more of a try in consideration of how Elliot struggled.

Reactions: Pav9870
Thank you for continuing to post...I do come on the board post game to read the dribbles after each game...win or lose...

Good to hear from you my friend. Hope all is well.

The fouling HAS to stop. The relatively “better” players on the team HAVE to be on the court for significant minutes. These guys just aren’t playing D the way it has to be played: by moving their feet. They are leaning, reaching, grabbing. Slow to react. Little anticipation. And very poor situational awareness In terms of how the game is being called and their own number of fouls.

Last night, just when Cummings started to feel it a bit and get into more of his scoring mode, he picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls within moments of each other and that was that.

The fouling led to Pitt having a -12 point differential from the FT line. With the offensive challenges this team has, it‘s almost impossible for them to win in the face of that.

One final SMH moment: that long pass that Elliot attempted late that resulted in a critical turnover. 🤦‍♂️ Just reckless and totally unnecessary for a veteran player to make that kind of error in judgment AND execution.

Nike with only 4 minutes last night. Hurt? Ill? If there was a game where Pitt could have used him, it was last night. Elliot played 37 minutes And didn’t play well at all in any aspect. Anyone can have a bad game, but would’ve thought Sibande may have been given more of a try in consideration of how Elliot struggled.
True but why is Elliot even inbounding at all?
He’s a shooting specialist - it’s assinine to put him in that position

True but why is Elliot even inbounding at all?
He’s a shooting specialist - it’s assinine to put him in that position
You would hope that most players on a basketball team by the time they reach the collegiate level know how to inbound a ball well no?

For whatever reason, I didn't quite notice that Nike only played 4 minutes. And provided that he wasn't hurt, that doesn't quite make sense considering the play of Greg, Nelly and Burton, especially in the first half.

As others said, I mostly visit the Pantherlair Basketball Board for the DT dribbles. Dave, you're a fan through thick and thin. You're as fun to read as it is fun to watch "Pittsburgh Dad" after a Steelers game. And I mean that as a true compliment

Last edited:
Two of the best things about the Lair are The Dribbles on the basketball side and Sunday Morning Musings on the football board. I raise coffee mug #3 to both of you. Both are must reads

This coaching staff has made every guard worse. Literally not one guard has gotten better being here.
I think it’s truly amazing that Capel hasn’t either not been able to, or not interested in recruiting a good
point guard. Xavier showed some ability but looked most of the time to be a kid who wanted to be
a shooting guard rather than a distributor.

Reactions: Drew1208
For whatever reason, I didn't quite notice that Nike only played 4 minutes. And provided that he wasn't hurt, that doesn't quite make sense considering the play of Greg, Nelly and Burton, especially in the first half.
It doesn’t make sense. I kept waiting to see him enter. In his 4 minutes Nike was 0-1 from the field and had 2 def rebounds. He played the fewest minutes of any of Pitt’s participants in the game. Santos played 6 minutes.

6 ACC wins still sucks I’m an easy conference in year 5. And from the defense I have seen I think 6 is be ceiling. Hugley coming back doesn’t help our defense one bit.

Thanks for another dribbles session. I suspect that you continue to write this column for the same reason that many of us continue to read it; it's a bit cathartic. When we're winning (which now seems like a distant memory), it's fun to relive the highlights and anticipate future success. When we're losing, the column is paliative.... a sober assessment of a situation that most of us care about but have no control over. Please keep it going, I suspect that most of us are going to need someone to talk us down off the ledge this year.

Cruzer

To me Santos looks like our best guard. He is more mature and his shot looks the best out of all of our guards. Plus he can rebound. He needs more minutes over the stiffs we have getting minutes now.

Keep doing the Dribbles DT. I have followed Pitt hoops since Buzz Ridl days. Since Stallings I have quit watching. Huge waste of time. But it is well worth my time to spend 3 minutes catching up on the team thru your “Dribbles” posts😉

** It was also noteworthy that Capel moved Blake Hinson to the three to make minutes for the Twins in the second half. And why not? On this night, this lineup gave the Panthers the best chance to win.

I respect your opinion more than anybody else on this board but regarding the stick figure twins, after watching them for the first time last night, I came away more excited about them than any Pitt player(s) in the past 6 years and here's why.
First was their enthusiasm and energy. They constantly provided the kind of team spirit this program has been lacking. Second was just watching them run the floor. Usually players with that length look uncoordinated at just the basic element of running up and down the floor. These guys do not. Next I watched their footwork. Again, guys that size usually have issues with simple SOFT jump stops and having their big feet in the right position. Also watched as they ran from corner to corner and how they glide through clogged lanes while avoiding back screens. They also showed the ability to close out on their man in the corner while staying low and taking short choppy steps toward the man with the ball. I also only recall one time when one of them got caught taking a fake and getting off his feet and out of position to rebound. Again, seems like it's simple but guys that size are usually obsessed with blocking shots and don't realize they are doing more harm than good by getting off the ground.
Offensively, the first thing that jumps out is their shooting touch. It is outstanding both from the field and the free throw line. They also show good instincts passing. I saw several times where the ball was kicked to them in the corner and without hesitation they passed the ball back to start the simple fundamental play of ball reversal which, unfortunately, has either not been part of the Capel philosophy or part of the skill set of his players in the last 6 years.
Their basic instincts, things that can't be taught, seem to be there. They certainly need to get stronger but even their conditioning wasn't bad given that this was their first, high level, game experience.
I watch Gonzaga as much as I can because they are one of the few teams that plays fundamental, team ball. I watched a lot of Chet Holmgren last year and I think these twins have (some) of the same skill set that Chet has. They are certainly no where near him but if you take the basic skills and instincts they are showing and with what seems like their enthusiasm for the game, I see no reason they can't become really good and maybe even great college players if they work at it. It's a shame they weren't part of Capels first or second recruiting class to build on cause we may not see them reach full potential given Capel's tenuous circumstances here.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr and CCHS82
I respect your opinion more than anybody else on this board but regarding the stick figure twins, after watching them for the first time last night, I came away more excited about them than any Pitt player(s) in the past 6 years and here's why.
First was their enthusiasm and energy. They constantly provided the kind of team spirit this program has been lacking. Second was just watching them run the floor. Usually players with that length look uncoordinated at just the basic element of running up and down the floor. These guys do not. Next I watched their footwork. Again, guys that size usually have issues with simple SOFT jump stops and having their big feet in the right position. Also watched as they ran from corner to corner and how they glide through clogged lanes while avoiding back screens. They also showed the ability to close out on their man in the corner while staying low and taking short choppy steps toward the man with the ball. I also only recall one time when one of them got caught taking a fake and getting off his feet and out of position to rebound. Again, seems like it's simple but guys that size are usually obsessed with blocking shots and don't realize they are doing more harm than good by getting off the ground.
Offensively, the first thing that jumps out is their shooting touch. It is outstanding both from the field and the free throw line. They also show good instincts passing. I saw several times where the ball was kicked to them in the corner and without hesitation they passed the ball back to start the simple fundamental play of ball reversal which, unfortunately, has either not been part of the Capel philosophy or part of the skill set of his players in the last 6 years.
Their basic instincts, things that can't be taught, seem to be there. They certainly need to get stronger but even their conditioning wasn't bad given that this was their first, high level, game experience.
I watch Gonzaga as much as I can because they are one of the few teams that plays fundamental, team ball. I watched a lot of Chet Holmgren last year and I think these twins have (some) of the same skill set that Chet has. They are certainly no where near him but if you take the basic skills and instincts they are showing and with what seems like their enthusiasm for the game, I see no reason they can't become really good and maybe even great college players if they work at it. It's a shame they weren't part of Capels first or second recruiting class to build on cause we may not see them reach full potential given Capel's tenuous circumstances here.

You cant teach 6'11 with guard skills. The perimeter one, at least, is going to be a very good college player somewhere in a few years. The Chet body type is a good comp but different games (speaking of the perimeter one). I could see a Pittsnogle type impact somewhere.

You make a great case. I sure hope I'm selling them short (which is obviously a tough thing to do for a pair who are 6-11 and 7-0 LOL!) And I certainly agree about the spirit and enthusiasm aspect.

You make a great case. I sure hope I'm selling them short (which is obviously a tough thing to do for a pair who are 6-11 and 7-0 LOL!) And I certainly agree about the spirit and enthusiasm aspect.
I hesitated even writing this cause it seems pretty silly after just one game but guess I have been looking for anything to get excited about with this program. But I will tell you that when I first saw Gregory Palanco run from home to first in a pirate uni, I told my two sons, this guy is a flat out terrible athlete!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT