ADVERTISEMENT

Very good game and atmosphere today

The game was great. If that is the new standard for a good crowd and atmosphere then we need to raise our standards. Students showed up again today.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Good homecoming crowd, we had a great time and also had a baseball alumni weekend which was fantastic!

Big statement win against a good small school. Did what we should do, all phases worked well, and got the dub.

H2P

Couldn't make it today due to youth sports but why the eff was this the Homecoming Game?

why the eff was this the Homecoming Game?

When, exactly, should it have been? It's already a little early in the season, so it wasn't going to be any earlier than this. The next home game is against Clemson, and there is no way that they would make that the Homecoming game. After that comes Miami on October 30, which might have been a decent choice but it would also be a little later than normal and a game that we could easily get squashed in (and for the record, we could beat them as well), and nobody wants to get squashed on Homecoming. Then the next home game after that is on a Thursday and the one after that is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so those are both obviously out.

So other than Miami, which other game would have even been considered? They had two choices, and they picked the one that they were the most likely (by far) to win. Is that really hard to understand?

Students always show

it’s been true for at least 15 years now
Absolutely not true, but compared to us older guys they tend to do well early in the season. As the season drags on and the games mean more, the student section becomes mostly empty. Us older guys tend to skip the 1-AA scrimmages and focus on real games. I should know, my seats were right next to the student section for years. We will see what happens When Clemson comes to town. My guess is the student section will be much smaller and the rest of the stadium will be much more filled.

When, exactly, should it have been? It's already a little early in the season, so it wasn't going to be any earlier than this. The next home game is against Clemson, and there is no way that they would make that the Homecoming game. After that comes Miami on October 30, which might have been a decent choice but it would also be a little later than normal and a game that we could easily get squashed in (and for the record, we could beat them as well), and nobody wants to get squashed on Homecoming. Then the next home game after that is on a Thursday and the one after that is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so those are both obviously out.

So other than Miami, which other game would have even been considered? They had two choices, and they picked the one that they were the most likely (by far) to win. Is that really hard to understand?
Clemson would be a perfect choice. Sell out the stadium. Make it an event. Why is winning the game so important? Do you really think alumni are more willing to shell out money to Pitt after traveling to Pittsburgh for a glorified scrimmage versus a big game with actual atmosphere?

Clemson would be a perfect choice. Sell out the stadium. Make it an event. Why is winning the game so important? Do you really think alumni are more willing to shell out money to Pitt after traveling to Pittsburgh for a glorified scrimmage versus a big game with actual atmosphere?
the answer is yes. its easier to write a check on the spot with the high of a w vs a loss.

Miami or Clemson. Definitely not NH

Thank you although estimated crowd numbers cannot be considered official until @Joe the Panther Fan chimes in.

👍

It was similar to the WM game, probably a little less. I don't think there were quite as many students there yesterday. So probably low 20s.

It is also abundantly clear at this point that the number that Pitt is announcing is the number of tickets distributed (not sold, distributed). They have announced three numbers that are almost exactly the same, 41,486, 40,581 and 41,048. There haven't been anywhere close to that many people at any of those three games.

Having it at the Clemson game would have been the sort of moronic decision that we usually see from the Pitt athletic department. The fact that you think that they should have done something that would have been monumentally stupid really says something.
I have to ask ... does what game is homecoming even really matter anymore?

I have to ask ... does what game is homecoming even really matter anymore?

The only thing that it does is to help you sell a few more tickets to alumni who coming in to town for that weekend just because it's homecoming. And you don't need help to sell tickets to the Clemson game. Which is why it would be stupid to have it that weekend.

The only thing that it does is to help you sell a few more tickets to alumni who coming in to town for that weekend just because it's homecoming. And you don't need help to sell tickets to the Clemson game. Which is why it would be stupid to have it that weekend.
Maybe 50 tickets?

Maybe 50 tickets?

Well especially in a year like this one.

But normally? Homecoming has never really meant anything to me, maybe because I am on campus for sporting events often enough that I have no reason to "come back". But I also know people who do not live in this area who used to come in for the Homecoming football game most years.

This year, yeah, they may not have sold 50 extra tickets no matter what game it was. But they also didn't know what the current situation was going to be back months ago when they made the decision as to what week it was going to be.

But normally? Homecoming has never really meant anything to me, maybe because I am on campus for sporting events often enough that I have no reason to "come back". But I also know people who do not live in this area who used to come in for the Homecoming football game most years.

This year, yeah, they may not have sold 50 extra tickets no matter what game it was. But they also didn't know what the current situation was going to be back months ago when they made the decision as to what week it was going to be.

also most every reception was either canceled or switched to virtual. So not much reason to come if you were interested in reconnecting with people. The fireworks still happened and were really good this year

I know people who would come in for one game a year but it was only based on what opponent they wanted to see. What game was “homecoming” wasn’t even part of the equation in any way at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT