ADVERTISEMENT

Video: Lyke on Capel, Pitt hoops and more

Pitt Director of Athletics Heather Lyke had a lot to say about Jeff Capel, Pitt hoops and more Tuesday morning. Here's video.

Heather sounded like me in talking about "brand loyalty." She said something like its an all time low so kids aren't looking to play for a certain brand, they're looking for a relationship. A million percent true. I've said it over and over. The name on the front of the jersey, unless you're a blue blood, is almost meaningless. Facilities, locker rooms, conferences, traditional success, miles from your hometown, none of that stuff matters.

There are a million things to unwrap here. You could parse every sentence she said and reflect on what it actually means.

Listening to the overall conversation the primary key for me was that it is important to her that continuity be maintained and she would rather preserve that than necessarily a result.

Second, as she talked about Duzz and her conversations with him it appeared to me that much of that focused on minor elements for how to improve. You don’t have to be Nostradamus to know that with the basketball team those blunt conversations are about way way more than minor things. This is not a short term effort and not to expect near term solutions. This is probably several more years of bad to eventually so so Play.

Heather sounded like me in talking about "brand loyalty." She said something like its an all time low so kids aren't looking to play for a certain brand, they're looking for a relationship. A million percent true. I've said it over and over. The name on the front of the jersey, unless you're a blue blood, is almost meaningless. Facilities, locker rooms, conferences, traditional success, miles from your hometown, none of that stuff matters.
So you would expect an AD for a school that has no identifiable positive brand for their basketball team to say something different? You think her friend Sandy Barbour might identify that Branding and Loyalty is important at Penn State or any AD from a basketball blue blood.

Your self absorption is more comical than your opinion.

So you would expect an AD for a school that has no identifiable positive brand for their basketball team to say something different? You think her friend Sandy Barbour might identify that Branding and Loyalty is important at Penn State or any AD from a basketball blue blood.

Your self absorption is more comical than your opinion.
Well, for whatever reason, brand still matters for football recruits. Football players love nothing more than sitting for 4 years at big brands. Basketball players are so different. They play on 8 different AAU teams and 3 different HS teams before they get to college.

They said this about Ron Harper, Jr, which floored me:

He played for 1 AAU team, 1 HS, and 1 college. Its sad that that's so rare that its worthy of a mention on national TV. The kid is straight out of......2006.

Quick summary.

<HL> I messed up extending Capel and now I have to put on my best happy face and blow smoke up your backside.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
I buy the continuity thing here. But
there's nothing else to give me hope except he actually got some decent players to sign for a cup of coffee.
Its Pitt blind faith world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT