ADVERTISEMENT

Vidovich recruiting class

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Another stellar class. I'm telling you, Vidovich is going to have a legitimate chance to win a national championship here. In fact, the new women's coach cited Vidovich and the school's commitment to soccer as a reason he came.

Vidovich has 6 recruits committed and its an impressive group

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...men/pittsburgh/clgid-380/tab-commitments#tabs

2 players from the #1 HS team, Montverde, which is a national sports factory as we know. They are both in the Top 70 by Top Drawer. They give that list in alphabetical order so not sure exactly where they fall.

Then 4 players from MLS academies. 2 from DC United, Philly Union, and RBNY. In theory, the best players in the country play at MLS academies because of the competition level and that its free. Just about all other youth clubs/academies are pay for play so in most cases, the best players matriculate at MLS academies.

This team could be very good next season. Alexander Dexter was ranked as the #25 freshman. Edward Kizza #36. Javi Perez #75 overall. Kizza also came from Montverde. Seems as if Vidovich is recruiting Montverde and the MLS really hard.

Soccer is never going to become a revenue sport but with what we are doing in the men's and women's game, I'd like to see us really promote it. Have a student section, do promos at the football games, etc. The atmosphere at a few of those games last year was outstanding. VT was completely full and had hundreds standing around the field.

We are a soccer school.

Another stellar class. I'm telling you, Vidovich is going to have a legitimate chance to win a national championship here. In fact, the new women's coach cited Vidovich and the school's commitment to soccer as a reason he came.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/col...men/pittsburgh/clgid-380/tab-commitments#tabs

2 players from the #1 HS team, Montverde, which is a national sports factory as we know. They are both in the Top 70 by Top Drawer. They give that list in alphabetical order so not sure exactly where they fall.

Then 4 players from MLS academies. 2 from DC United, Philly Union, and RBNY. In theory, the best players in the country play at MLS academies because of the competition level and that its free. Just about all other youth clubs/academies are pay for play so in most cases, the best players matriculate at MLS academies.

This team could be very good next season. Alexander Dexter was ranked as the #25 freshman. Edward Kizza #36. Javi Perez #75 overall. Kizza also came from Montverde. Seems as if Vidovich is recruiting Montverde and the MLS really hard.

Soccer is never going to become a revenue sport but with what we are doing in the men's and women's game, I'd like to see us really promote it. Have a student section, do promos at the football games, etc. The atmosphere at a few of those games last year was outstanding. VT was completely full and had hundreds standing around the field.

We are a soccer school.
TKS for the update.....Will check them out in the near future!!!

We are a soccer school.
Is this considered a Top 20 class? Top 10? I am not a soccer fan, but I like sports and I like winning. Might check out a game.

Soccer is never going to become a revenue sport ...
We are a soccer school.

You never know, something might eventually happen and there won't be any revenue sports, maybe the pressure to pay players eventually drives a lot of teams out of big time college football and basketball?

One good thing about soccer as a sport though, there's no limit as to what age you can go pro, right? Pulisic went pro at 17, Freddy Adu at 14.

We are a soccer school.
Is this considered a Top 20 class? Top 10? I am not a soccer fan, but I like sports and I like winning. Might check out a game.

I don't know for sure. Not even sure anyone ranks classes like that for college soccer. My guess is definitely Top 20 and probably Top 10.

Reactions: paschuler1970
Yea, NCAA soccer is very balanced. They can finish 10th in the ACC, be one of the best 20 teams in the nation, and have somewhat of a chance to win a National Championship
This is the key: making the playoffs. In a sport where one goal can be the difference between winning and losing, getting hot at the right time and having a bit of luck can go a long way. And with so many new players, the longer that they play together, the better that they should be as a team.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
Yea, NCAA soccer is very balanced. They can finish 10th in the ACC, be one of the best 20 teams in the nation, and have somewhat of a chance to win a National Championship
This is the key: making the playoffs. In a sport where one goal can be the difference between winning and losing, getting hot at the right time and having a bit of luck can go a long way. And with so many new players, the longer that they play together, the better that they should be as a team.

Just based on the nature of the sport, I'd have to think that a "bubble team" has much better odds of winning a NC in soccer than in basketball or baseball

Just based on the nature of the sport, I'd have to think that a "bubble team" has much better odds of winning a NC in soccer than in basketball or baseball
See Greece 2004 Euro Cup Champions. They had a German coach that preached playing for 0-0 ties and they win this tournament with ties and 1-0 wins, beating teams like Germany, win the Final in Renaldo's rookie year 1-0 over Portugal in Portugal.

Chandler Vaughan is ranked #17 nationally according to the story on his commitment. He is one of four defenders in the class, and that is where we needed bolstered. He plays on the US Under 17 team. That was in July. I don’t know if he has moved up or down since.

Nykolas Sessock, the only forward in the class, is mentioned as having moved up in the rankings in one of the articles under his name, but you have to be a premium subscriber to find out his actual ranking.

They don’t list heights or weights, so no idea if the defenders are Center Backs, who tend to be bigger (except for Barcelona’s Javier Mascherano.)

Chandler Vaughan is ranked #17 nationally according to the story on his commitment. He is one of four defenders in the class, and that is where we needed bolstered. He plays on the US Under 17 team. That was in July. I don’t know if he has moved up or down since.

Nykolas Sessock, the only forward in the class, is mentioned as having moved up in the rankings in one of the articles under his name, but you have to be a premium subscriber to find out his actual ranking.

They don’t list heights or weights, so no idea if the defenders are Center Backs, who tend to be bigger (except for Barcelona’s Javier Mascherano.)

Vaughn played on the U17s in qualifying but did not make the World Cup roster for whatever reason

We are a soccer school.
The atmosphere for the PSU game was great. And l had deja vu while leaving after the game that I was leaving a Pitt hoops game (in a sea of blue and gold). The place was packed and the soccer was great. Pitt dominated PSU that night, out shot them like 35-5. Lyke specifically mentioned that game as her goal for both the women's and men's teams.

Reactions: seafoxgo
One good thing about soccer as a sport though, there's no limit as to what age you can go pro, right? Pulisic went pro at 17, Freddy Adu at 14.

yep. so truly special players won't be in college. like if the NBA got rid of the one year rule.

Got a big time goalie commit today. Johan Penaranda. He's supposedly on USA U19 National Team and in NYCFC's (team in MLS) system.

Top Drawer has him ranked number 21 in the country.

Dang. And their current GK, who I think is a Luxbacher recruit is actually pretty good. I'm anxious to see where this class ends up. All kids from MLS academies or Montverde. I could be wrong but I don't think we've EVER landed a single player from an MLS academy let alone 5.

Reactions: persp
Overall? Or just goalies?

Overall.

You can't actually see the rankings if you aren't a member, but they had a little blurb about his commitment that said:

"7:21 am: The day is here! Obviously there is not much in terms of suspense when it comes to college soccer's Signing Day. But there were two recruits that committed for the fall the night before. No. 21 recruit Johan Penaranda tweeted his verbal commitment to Pittsburgh yesterday, while No. 87 ranked recruit Ibrahima Diop committed to Connecticut."

Reactions: persp
Overall? Or just goalies?

Overall.

You can't actually see the rankings if you aren't a member, but they had a little blurb about his commitment that said:

"7:21 am: The day is here! Obviously there is not much in terms of suspense when it comes to college soccer's Signing Day. But there were two recruits that committed for the fall the night before. No. 21 recruit Johan Penaranda tweeted his verbal commitment to Pittsburgh yesterday, while No. 87 ranked recruit Ibrahima Diop committed to Connecticut."

Not mention the 21st best goalie would not play for the USMNT youth teams

ADVERTISEMENT