ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I'd like to think that over the years, I've learned a thing or two about basketball.

** Here's what my "extensive experience" has taught me. Falling behind by 28 points is not a good recipe for winning a basketball game.

** OK, sure ... kudos to the guys for never giving up the fight and getting close. That's better than the alternative.

** But that first half was so incredibly bad, it really rendered any comeback efforts as basically a moot point.

** Think of it this way ... had we just gone down "only" 18, with the way we played in the second half, we might have won by a couple of possessions.

** It's also too late for it to matter this season, but maybe this team will eventually realize that holding teams in the low 60's or lower is their only recipe for success.

** And of course Va Tech was sizzling from three in the first half, but we didn't seem really interested in guarding the perimeter either. Nor should the Hokies 3 point attack have been any kind of surprise. It's what they do, after all.

** Beyond that, I do know how much more can be said. It nice to see Femi playing with confidence again. And Jamarius was solid on offense once again but he was too lose on the perimeter on defense, especially in the first half.

** And I have no idea what John was doing today, on either end of the court.

** I've tried to keep a healthy distance from the heart of the should he stay or should he go debate, saying only to let the season play out and the decision will become more clear. Well, the decision is becoming more clear.

** I talked to someone tonight who has worked with AD Lyke in a professional context. This person has very good things to say about Heather, and also noted her competitive nature.

** I suspect needing to make a move on her first big hire would be a very bitter pill to swallow. But I'm also guessing any competitive person really has a hard time going down by 28 at home too, regardless of what the final score ended up being.

** But that first half was so incredibly bad, it really rendered any comeback efforts as basically a moot point.

That was the worst half of basketball we've seen since at least when Sleepy was the coach. At least.

Then that nine-ish minute stretch of basketball we played from the 17 minute mark in the second half until Burton's foul shots at 8:22 that cut the lead to six, a 26-5 run, was surely the best basketball we played all season.

But you are correct, you can't play that bad and fall that far behind and then think that a comeback like that means anything.

** I'd like to think that over the years, I've learned a thing or two about basketball.

** Here's what my "extensive experience" has taught me. Falling behind by 28 points is not a good recipe for winning a basketball game.

** OK, sure ... kudos to the guys for never giving up the fight and getting close. That's better than the alternative.

** Think of it this way ... had we just gone down "only" 18, with the way we played in the second half, we might have won by a couple of possessions.

** It's also too late for it to matter this season, but maybe this team will eventually realize that holding teams in the low 60's or lower is their only recipe for success.

** And of course Va Tech was sizzling from three in the first half, but we didn't seem really interested in guarding the perimeter either. Nor should the Hokies 3 point attack have been any kind of surprise. It's what they do, after all.

** Beyond that, I do know how much more can be said. It nice to see Femi playing with confidence again. And Jamarius was solid on offense once again but he was too lose on the perimeter on defense, especially in the first half.

** I've tried to keep a healthy distance from the heart of the should he stay or should he go debate, saying only to let the season play out and the decision will become more clear. Well, the decision is becoming more clear.

** I talked to someone tonight who has worked with AD Lyke in a professional context. This person has very good things to say about Heather, and also noted her competitive nature.

** I suspect needing to make a move on her first big hire would be a very bitter pill to swallow. But I'm also guessing any competitive person really has a hard time going down by 28 at home too, regardless of what the final score ended up being.
5-15 or worse (last place) in year 4 with no real prospect for future success should get you fired.

DT I wasn't sure if you were gonna do the Dribbles and I got a few requests for an encore so I did another one. Hope you're okay with that.

They were booed off the court at the end of the 1st half. It was embarrassing, and while I don't condone it, I hope Heather was there to hear it.

Reactions: gary2
They were booed off the court at the end of the 1st half. It was embarrassing, and while I don't condone it, I hope Heather was there to hear it.

I didn't boo but it was the effort I was upset with. It was Stallings vs Louisville bad. But they followed it up with like Dixon vs UConn good. Still, its an L but I went from thinking, wow, do we lose by 50 and if we do, is Capel fired tomorrow to thinking we're going to win on Monday.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I didn't boo but it was the effort I was upset with. It was Stallings vs Louisville bad. But they followed it up with like Dixon vs UConn good. Still, its an L but I went from thinking, wow, do we lose by 50 and if we do, is Capel fired tomorrow to thinking we're going to win on Monday.
I would not put any money on Pitt winning Monday. Just some advice.

DT I wasn't sure if you were gonna do the Dribbles and I got a few requests for an encore so I did another one. Hope you're okay with that.

Although, if you are going to do something on a regular basis, you need to pick a different name! ;)

Reactions: rockypanther
Nah no more for me. I was trying to keep the board used to your Dribbles happy but since you are still doing them I will resign.
Right. No sense doing your dribbles in a DT tone if DT is providing that tone.

Do a dribbles (call them something else) with your own opinions and tone.

I would want to hear that as well.

Reactions: PittPoker

JC continually expressing ignorance at what his players think and what kind of performance he is going to get out of them troubles me.
True, young people will disappoint but at this level (and this pay grade) not knowing what makes your players tick is a very bad sign.

No Cliff Notes either. That mess is still in the cooler.

It probably would have been better to just lose by 40 last night to end any shadow of a doubt about capel.
You really have to wonder just what is wrong with capels late season coaching. Even the biggest capel critics can’t deny that this years team was at least competitive in most of their early ACC games. But now they are just horrendous. We are as healthy as we have been all year so that’s not an excuse.

It probably would have been better to just lose by 40 last night to end any shadow of a doubt about capel.
You really have to wonder just what is wrong with capels late season coaching. Even the biggest capel critics can’t deny that this years team was at least competitive in most of their early ACC games. But now they are just horrendous. We are as healthy as we have been all year so that’s not an excuse.
Pitt will lose any game they play with any team that shoots the ball well !

the easy early conf schedule gave them cover until the covers were pulled off

Reactions: FireballZ
That comeback was fool's gold. Virginia Tech probably hasn't ever had a first half lead that large in conference play, and they just had no idea how to handle it. I do agree that fighting back was better than the alternative, but the second half competition we faced was complacent and not a very good representation of what ACC basketball is, even in a down year, so I don't know that we played as well as it appeared.

I'm fairly reasonable and would be willing to chalk last year up to bad chemistry and call this year the first year of Rebuild 2.0... if Capel was actually building anything. It's the no quality recruits in two full cycles thing that puts me over the edge, though.

The results of this season don't surprise me even a little bit. What's depressing is that I don't think this is rock bottom if Capel stays. Gueye is gone, and I have no idea why someone like Hugley would want to waste the remainder of his eligibility in this mess. I could very easily see us winning two or less conference games next season if a couple things shake out the way I think they might.

That comeback was fool's gold. Virginia Tech probably hasn't ever had a first half lead that large in conference play, and they just had no idea how to handle it. I do agree that fighting back was better than the alternative, but the second half competition we faced was complacent and not a very good representation of what ACC basketball is, even in a down year, so I don't know that we played as well as it appeared.

I'm fairly reasonable and would be willing to chalk last year up to bad chemistry and call this year the first year of Rebuild 2.0... if Capel was actually building anything. It's the no quality recruits in two full cycles thing that puts me over the edge, though.

The results of this season don't surprise me even a little bit. What's depressing is that I don't think this is rock bottom if Capel stays. Gueye is gone, and I have no idea why someone like Hugley would want to waste the remainder of his eligibility in this mess. I could very easily see us winning two or less conference games next season if a couple things shake out the way I think they might.
I was thinking this too. VT was up by so much they didn't really come out trying that hard, or at least mentally their edge was gone. I guess we'll see how close to being equal we are on Monday. I'm going to guess they win by 10.

I was thinking this too. VT was up by so much they didn't really come out trying that hard, or at least mentally their edge was gone. I guess we'll see how close to being equal we are on Monday. I'm going to guess they win by 10.

Yeah it was similar to Wake the other night.

Wake coasted to a win so we looked better.

Last night we played with more intensity on D in the second half but VT didn’t need to do much to win and they knew it.

Reactions: cabe23
I saw nothing from Capel last night that indicates he's a head coach in the ACC. His players gave it everything they had, given their talent levels, but he let them down....again. This team will struggle to get 1 more win the rest of the year.

Reactions: TWPitt

DT, as you know, in the past I've talked a lot on hockey threads about the technical aspects of the game especially regarding goaltending, so I'm asking you or any others on the board to explain the technical adjustments that Pitt made from a defensive viewpoint in the second half over the first ...... the first half was one of the worst I've ever seen a Pitt basketball team play and from my more primitive view, it looked like we lacked intensity, VT kept getting wide open 3's off the way we defended the high ball screen (and even off our defense of simple hand offs at the 3 point line), and when VT did get the ball inside we collapsed and left 3 point shooters wide open ....... in the second half we were much more intense defensively, pressured their guards out higher, caused turnovers and got a lot of points off turnovers, and played the high ball screen better (didn't double team the ball as much and covered 3 point shooters better) .......

I realize that I may be way off base in my analysis, so I'm asking the experts what technical adjustments did we make defensively in the second half and why didn't we make them much earlier in the first half or even start the game the way we played the second half ..... we did scout them didn't we ? (and yes, VT being so far ahead at the half may have caused them to let up some in the second half but I don't think that was the main reason for our comeback) ....... also, what can the coaches do to get Hugley back involved in the offense as other teams are smothering him with double teams down low ?

Last edited:
DT, as you know, in the past I've talked a lot on hockey threads about the technical aspects of the game especially regarding goaltending, so I'm asking you or any others on the board to explain the technical adjustments that Pitt made from a defensive viewpoint in the second half over the first ...... the first half was one of the worst I've ever seen a Pitt basketball team play and from my more primitive view, it looked like we lacked intensity, VT kept getting wide open 3's off the way we defended the high ball screen (and even off our defense of simple hand offs at the 3 point line), and when VT did get the ball inside we collapsed and left 3 point shooters wide open ....... in the second half we were much more intense defensively, pressured their guards out higher, caused turnovers and got a lot of points off turnovers, and played the high ball screen better (didn't double team the ball as much and covered 3 point shooters better) .......

I realize that I may be way off base in my analysis, so I'm asking the experts what technical adjustments did we make defensively in the second half and why didn't we make them much earlier in the first half or even start the game the way we played the second half ..... we did scout them didn't we ? (and yes, VT being so far ahead at the half may have caused them to let up some in the second half but I don't think that was the main reason for our comeback).
Not addressing your question but

with the big lead, the Tech coach could have run clock and got the ball inside. They chose to bomb away playing for the 40 point blowout.

Aluma only had 4 shots.

I like Poker. But I think I already knows what he thinks during his in game messages during each game. I guess an after game summary wouldn’t be bad too. Poor guy is going to have a heart attack.

I realize that I may be way off base in my analysis, so I'm asking the experts what technical adjustments did we make defensively in the second half and why didn't we make them much earlier in the first half or even start the game the way we played the second half ..... we did scout them didn't we ? (and yes, VT being so far ahead at the half may have caused them to let up some in the second half but I don't think that was the main reason for our comeback) ....... also, what can the coaches do to get Hugley back involved in the offense as other teams are smothering him with double teams down low ?
I turned it off at halftime. My guess is they extended the defense and did their zone with pressure up top. It’s by far the best defense they play but Capel only does it in stretches because it’s tough to do for a whole game because it’s pretty exhausting.

Their base man to man is so atrocious. They are awful at weak side help rotations, getting beat by the dribbler up top, getting sucked in for help in the wing and then not getting back out to close out on the 3 pter. Most of the 3 pters are cause we over play the help from the wing and leave their shooter standing right there waiting for the kickout. It’s literally one of the worse man to man defenses I have seen at the college level. And add in low effort, and it’s a disaster.

Pitt did the same against Wake and their 2nd PG Whitt couldn’t handle the pressure. TV commentators apologized for Capel telling us he doesn’t have the bodies to play his pressure defense 40 minutes…Huggins style, if you will.

My guess is they extended the defense and did their zone with pressure up top. It’s by far the best defense they play but Capel only does it in stretches because it’s tough to do for a whole game because it’s pretty exhausting.

I don't think we played one possession of zone in the second half. Or even all game.

Which is a good thing, because our zone defense has generally been awful this year. We play at least three different versions of it, and none of them have been good for anything more than a couple possession change of pace kind of thing.

I don't think we played one possession of zone in the second half. Or even all game.

Which is a good thing, because our zone defense has generally been awful this year. We play at least three different versions of it, and none of them have been good for anything more than a couple possession change of pace kind of thing.
If Pitt had more players (and I am talking about merely adequate subs to give breathers) could our (potential) staters be good at a 1-3-1?

I mention that because Beilein has been mentioned.

Of course Mo is gone next season.

If Pitt had more players (and I am talking about merely adequate subs to give breathers) could our (potential) staters be good at a 1-3-1?

I don't know, but when we have played a version of the 1-3-1 this year it has mostly been a disaster.

We have played a 1-3-1 and when we do Femi is not on the baseline.
Why not? Wouldn’t he best fit that role?

I was thinking Mo out front. Hugley in the middle. Burton and Payton or Oladapo on either side and Femi runs the baseline.

Why not? Wouldn’t he best fit that role?

I was thinking Mo out front. Hugley in the middle. Burton and Payton or Oladapo on either side and Femi runs the baseline.

Those wings in a 1-3-1 have to be really athletic to make it work, and no one should confuse either Payton or Oladapo with being athletic.

Honestly, I think some people have this romanticized idea about the 1-3-1 from the Roy Chipman days, but you really can't play defense that way in 2022 (against most teams) and have it be successful. That little guy running the baseline for you gets you destroyed against teams with guys who can make 10 footers from the baseline. And when you are collapsing in to stop that shot you are leaving someone wide open at the three point line.

There is a reason that almost no one uses a 1-3-1 as their base defense that they are playing a majority of the game today. As a change of pace for a few possessions at a time to confuse the other team? Yeah, sure. As a base defense that you play most of the game? A good team would regularly beat it.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Those wings in a 1-3-1 have to be really athletic to make it work, and no one should confuse either Payton or Oladapo with being athletic.

Honestly, I think some people have this romanticized idea about the 1-3-1 from the Roy Chipman days, but you really can't play defense that way in 2022 (against most teams) and have it be successful. That little guy running the baseline for you gets you destroyed against teams with guys who can make 10 footers from the baseline. And when you are collapsing in to stop that shot you are leaving someone wide open at the three point line.

There is a reason that almost no one uses a 1-3-1 as their base defense that they are playing a majority of the game today. As a change of pace for a few possessions at a time to confuse the other team? Yeah, sure. As a base defense that you play most of the game? A good team would regularly beat it.
Thanks for the reply.

I think Payton is pretty athletic. It is hard to say for sure because he never plays.

I agree about Oladapo. He seems too slow to play defense at this level.

I have given up on any illusion Jeffress and Collier can significantly contribute. It hurts to have to play a walk on so many minutes.

I would have liked to have seen Payton get a bit of a run during this disastrous season, just to rule out the possibility that he can contribute.

I think Payton is pretty athletic. It is hard to say for sure because he never plays.

I agree about Oladapo. He seems too slow to play defense at this level.

I agree that we don't really know about Payton, and I agree that unfortunately we do know about Oladapo.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT