ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech to restrict 'selfish, inappropriate, and embarrassing student behavior' at football games

At Pitt Stadium, after the first quarter or so, you could just walk into the Stadium without a ticket. Maybe someone was supposed to be checking for tickets, but they sure didn't. I only know this because as a student I would leave several times during the game to go got beer at the dental fraternity across the street, they had food there too but it would get wiped out pretty quick.

Reactions: pittdan77
So you didn't even need a ticket to get into the stadium ...... what could go wrong!

So VT is requiring tickets now? How modern of them.

"Too many people were able to get in without a ticket, and then they just didn't have enough people on crowd management,"

In all seriousness, VT needs to consult with Heinz Field security. They make it all but impossible to enter Heinz Field.

So VT is requiring tickets now? How modern of them.

"Too many people were able to get in without a ticket, and then they just didn't have enough people on crowd management,"

In all seriousness, VT needs to consult with Heinz Field security. They make it all but impossible to enter Heinz Field.
Lol. Good point. Talk about exact opposite.

At Pitt Stadium, after the first quarter or so, you could just walk into the Stadium without a ticket. Maybe someone was supposed to be checking for tickets, but they sure didn't. I only know this because as a student I would leave several times during the game to go got beer at the dental fraternity across the street, they had food there too but it would get wiped out pretty quick.
Well, that's comparing pre 9/11 with today's environment. I'll bet lots of stadiums didn't require tickets to get back in before 9/11.

Well, that's comparing pre 9/11 with today's environment. I'll bet lots of stadiums didn't require tickets to get back in before 9/11.

The security at every other stadium and arena besidez HF and The Pete is well, there is very little security. I've been all over and HF and The Pete have the tightest security. I don't think Neyland had security and I couldn't believe they didn't check you for anything at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium. Meanwhile, Heinz Field requires an anal cavity search for a game vs an FCS team attended by 15K people

Reactions: USN_Panther
Funny. I had a friend in that frat so I did that a few times too. Once I never went back - the infamous tOSU game.

The sanctions against the students at VT are because

- They caused a stamped in the entrance gate when hundreds of students without tickets tried to enter the stadium
- They threw beer cans and bottles at the people in the section below, one hitting a toddler.
- They shined strobe lights in the eyes of the ND kicker.

Literally absolutely NOTHING to do with any chants. At all.
That dude crowbars his political garbage into a ton of threads he participates in

It is a legitimate comment considering last week during the ND game the chants erupted from the student section in Blacksburg or do you want to tell me its just a coincidence this comes out within a week and right before their next home game?

You don't think the university will deem this "selfish, inappropriate, and embarrassing student behavior"?

Here is the proof

You posted a video of 7 kids chanting that as proof?

It is a legitimate comment considering last week during the ND game the chants erupted from the student section in Blacksburg or do you want to tell me its just a coincidence this comes out within a week and right before their next home game?

You don't think the university will deem this "selfish, inappropriate, and embarrassing student behavior"?

Here is the proof
No. I really don't think any school is too worried about stuff like that when it's a long way from students pushing and shoving each other to get through the gates. There have been some famous incidents over the years with this sort of thing. My comment had to do with the failure to control the situation.

The sanctions against the students at VT are because

- They caused a stampede in the entrance gate when hundreds of students without tickets tried to enter the stadium
- They threw beer cans and bottles at the people in the section below, one hitting a toddler.
- They shined strobe lights in the eyes of the ND kicker.

Literally absolutely NOTHING to do with any chants. At all.

The thing with the lights was pretty crazy. I mean, they gave them to everyone entering the stadium and didn't see how that could possibly be a problem?.

The security at every other stadium and arena besidez HF and The Pete is well, there is very little security. I've been all over and HF and The Pete have the tightest security. I don't think Neyland had security and I couldn't believe they didn't check you for anything at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium. Meanwhile, Heinz Field requires an anal cavity search for a game vs an FCS team attended by 15K people
That is good to know. Now I will have to find a new place to hide a hip pocket bottle of Southern Comfort.

Reactions: TFBaum
The thing with the lights was pretty crazy. I mean, they gave them to everyone entering the stadium and didn't see how that could possibly be a problem?.

The problem wasn't the strobe lights. The problem was that someone (or maybe more than one someone) was trying to shine a laser light in the kicker's eye. You can't really shine a strobe light at someone's eye like you can a laser light.

Agreed I have been to many college venues and Heinz/Pete is the tightest security. Navy stadium security was non existent

So that’s the reason we have all these attendance and stadium threads? I knew it!!! Chris Peak has Heinz security to thank!

forget the feasibility studies and the $750 million to build a stadium. Just address the security situation and we are golden.

So that’s the reason we have all these attendance and stadium threads? I knew it!!! Chris Peak has Heinz security to thank!

forget the feasibility studies and the $750 million to build a stadium. Just address the security situation and we are golden.

Yea, they may want to start there. I have no idea how people get into Steeler games before halftime. I think there's probably 20K extra Pitt fans who show up on Saturdays, see the lines to enter the stadium and just go home. Its just too hard to get inside.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I have no idea how people get into Steeler games before halftime.

If you've seen what's happened with their new, all mobile ticketing scheme this year you know that the answer is that many of them don't. And rather than solve the problem by figuring out how to get people through the gates faster, the "brilliant" solution that they have come up with is that an hour before kickoff they are going to shoot off fireworks as a signal to people that they should be heading into the stadium already.

Basically it seems like they've given up on any idea of actually making the process faster, so they want people to start the process earlier.

If you've seen what's happened with their new, all mobile ticketing scheme this year you know that the answer is that many of them don't. And rather than solve the problem by figuring out how to get people through the gates faster, the "brilliant" solution that they have come up with is that an hour before kickoff they are going to shoot off fireworks as a signal to people that they should be heading into the stadium already.

Basically it seems like they've given up on any idea of actually making the process faster, so they want people to start the process earlier.

Yea, I figured many fans simply just couldn't make it in.

I had to buy 1 extra for UMass from the Pitt site. It was delayed mobile delivery and it never came. The ticket taker let me through and called over a supervisor who directed me to another line where I would be like 20th in line so I just got out of line and walked in. Had they seen that, I probably would have been tased.

I’m dating myself, but when I first arrived at Pitt, a ticket wasn’t needed for any Pitt athletic event. We had an Activity Card - provided to us when we paid our student activities fee - and that covered everything.

If I remember correctly, after several years, it got slightly more restrictive when we had to show both our Pitt Student ID and our Activity Card.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2

Last time I was at Heinz Field was for a Pitt game and they wouldn't let my father-in-law in because he had a seat cushion. We left and I have never been back and don't plan on going again.

Last time I was at Heinz Field was for a Pitt game and they wouldn't let my father-in-law in because he had a seat cushion. We left and I have never been back and don't plan on going again.
Smart decision. But I could think of 50 more reasons to add to that for not going to a game.

That’s a mature decision, considering they haven’t allowed seat cushions for years, and they are on the list on the website as not allowed.

That’s a mature decision, considering they haven’t allowed seat cushions for years, and they are on the list on the website as not allowed.

Was probably about 6 years ago. I was aware of the clear bag policy. This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not worth it, and of course the lost that game to Miami anyway.

Was probably about 6 years ago. I was aware of the clear bag policy. This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not worth it, and of course the lost that game to Miami anyway.
Did you read the list of items not allowed in the stadium? That list hasn’t changed in a loooong time. Seat cushions are clearly not allowed.

Did you read the list of items not allowed in the stadium? That list hasn’t changed in a loooong time. Seat cushions are clearly not allowed.

I get it. They are not allowed. I was not aware of the seat cushion policy. We walked back to the car and I never went back. And never will. I understand that this upsets you. Too bad

I get it. They are not allowed. I was not aware of the seat cushion policy. We walked back to the car and I never went back. And never will. I understand that this upsets you. Too bad
It doesn’t upset me in the least. I’m just having a chuckle at your expense (you are the one who admitted it).

We have a Coleman cushion that unfolds, opens-up, and morphs into a blanket. Several years ago - on a cold night - the Heinz Field security guy wouldn't let us in with the "cushion".....until I opened it, and presto! - it came an "acceptable" blanket. It's rather ridiculous, but he wasn't budging, even after I explained how it worked.

We have a Coleman cushion that unfolds, opens-up, and morphs into a blanket. Several years ago - on a cold night - the Heinz Field security guy wouldn't let us in with the "cushion".....until I opened it, and presto! - it came an "acceptable" blanket. It's rather ridiculous, but he wasn't budging, even after I explained how it worked.

Sooo stupid. If you can open it up and they can look in, then it doesn't contain an explosive or weapon.

Extra stupid because the biggest opportunity for a terrorist is at the gate when everyone is pushed together before going in.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Sooo stupid. If you can open it up and they can look in, then it doesn't contain an explosive or weapon.

Extra stupid because the biggest opportunity for a terrorist is at the gate when everyone is pushed together before going in.

That is what I think every time they have a mob of 10K people waiting in line to get through security. Terrorists typically don't target ACC football games though.

That is what I think every time they have a mob of 10K people waiting in line to get through security. Terrorists typically don't target ACC football games though.
If there were any terrorists in Pittsburgh, they’d most likely be hiding out in the PG sports department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT