ADVERTISEMENT

Visits and HS recruiting

Gunga_Galunga

Heisman Candidate
Jan 12, 2017
Three visits this weekend in Brookins, Gracio and Polk. I'll guess we get at least a couple Pat signals out of this. Also seems they're going after that TE (Johnson) committed to Ville pretty hard. Was here for a visit last week and I saw pics of Duzz and Salem out in CA visiting the QB commit this week. I'd guess they hit the TE up too while on the west coast. He's supposed to visit Oregon this weekend.

Anything else out there?

Wonder how many more HS players they'll go after vs. guys in the portal. As I stated in another thread, the amount of highly rated, young WRs and DBs in the portal is nuts. Might make sense to focus on some of these guys.

successful teams are still built on mostly high school recruits. It still matters above all else.
Give it time. It’s only been a year or two. The HS kids with the NIL’s will stay contractually unless that doesn’t hold water going forward. Most staffs will no doubt scout opponents with an eye on their own future rosters because they could hit the portal and be available. Look for more mingling by head coaches after games with handshakes and best wishes on their careers . Lol.

Give it time. It’s only been a year or two. The HS kids with the NIL’s will stay contractually unless that doesn’t hold water going forward. Most staffs will no doubt scout opponents with an eye on their own future rosters because they could hit the portal and be available. Look for more mingling by head coaches after games with handshakes and best wishes on their careers . Lol.

Maybe. I don’t think it will, but maybe. But assuming what you’re saying is true, high school recruiting is still the most important part of building a team. For now at least. So still should be the thing that gets a fan most excited or disappointed.

successful teams are still built on mostly high school recruits. It still matters above all else.
I mostly agree but as soon as a school like pitt gets and develops a guy like Addison there getting poached by the bigger programs that why it's hard for me to excited if we get a 4star stud recruit when knowing they'll be gone in a yr or two

Think of it like the NFL. Every good team is built mostly thru the draft. Some teams aggressively add via free agency, but you won't find a champion that doesn't have a core of mostly drafted players. High school recruiting is the draft. The portal is to supplement your core.

USC did well this year. There are rumblings that Bama is getting a transfer QB. This is new to college football. This transfer thing will soon affect all teams

Sure, teams can add players through the portal. I’m not saying the portal doesn’t matter.

But the high school level is still, *by far*, the most important arena for talent accumulation. So fans should care.

I mostly agree but as soon as a school like pitt gets and develops a guy like Addison there getting poached by the bigger programs that why it's hard for me to excited if we get a 4star stud recruit when knowing they'll be gone in a yr or two

Pitt got two years out of Addison. One year was pretty damn good. The next was elite. In the end, one season was taken. Do I think that makes a huge difference in the overall direction of programs? Not really.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Pitt got two years out of Addison. One year was pretty damn good. The next was elite. In the end, one season was taken. Do I think that makes a huge difference in the overall direction of programs? Not really.
I beg to differ if Addison had played for pitt this year it's quite possible we win the acc or at least the coastal and with that we keep the momentum of the program going

Reactions: BreakingPitt
It’s a completely different ball game now. A 2nd or 3rd stringer that is talented isn’t going to sit on the bench if he has a good NIL offer and chance to start elsewhere. The number of guys that stay, develop, and wait their turn to play at one school will be a lot lower.

Reactions: PantherDDS
It’s a completely different ball game now. A 2nd or 3rd stringer that is talented isn’t going to sit on the bench if he has a good NIL offer and chance to start elsewhere. The number of guys that stay, develop, and wait their turn to play at one school will be a lot lower.

It’s not a completely different ball game.

There isn’t a single team in the playoffs built on transfers. USC was the only team in the playoff discussion built on transfers, and that only worked because of their sh*t schedule. They weren’t a legit playoff caliber team.

This Wednesday will determine which teams are the powers of college football. Not the transfer portal window.

Reactions: jctrack

There isn’t a single team in the playoffs built on transfers. USC was the only team in the playoff discussion built on transfers, and that only worked because of their sh*t schedule. They weren’t a legit playoff caliber team.

This Wednesday will determine which teams are the powers of college football. Not the transfer portal window.
It’s almost as though you think NIL and the open Transfer has been going on for a long time. Get back to me in 3-4 years.

Too early to talk about impact and playoffs. You'll always need to recruit HS, but the portal is going to be huge. Just look at the numbers of young highly rated kids hitting the portal. A&M has 25 kids in there, that's an entire recruiting class.

Too early to talk about impact and playoffs. You'll always need to recruit HS, but the portal is going to be huge. Just look at the numbers of young highly rated kids hitting the portal. A&M has 25 kids in there, that's an entire recruiting class.

That doesn’t really disprove anything I said.

This week is a necessary condition. I haven’t said it’s a sufficient condition.

Not trying to disprove anything, but not having a playoff team built off the portal after 1 year doesn't mean anything. Need to give it a few years.
It's a loaded argument because there will still only be a handful of schools that will legitimately compete for a title. Making the playoff won't be quite the benchmark it is, now.

On some level, the sell is much different. HS kids see things differently than a kid that's been in a program for a couple of years. Should be an easier sell at a place like Pitt where you're running pro style schemes. I also wonder if cost will become part of the equation. It would be tempting to not blow tons of money into chasing down some longshots when you can wait for them to hit the portal later. Feels risky but it won't surprise me to see someone try it.

Not trying to disprove anything, but not having a playoff team built off the portal after 1 year doesn't mean anything. Need to give it a few years.

The portal is now a couple of years old. We see certain trends, and there isn’t much reason to think those trends will change.

The thing about the transfer portal is it isn’t going to feed you all positions you need, because positions don’t enter it at equal rate.

There are 7 offensive linemen in the 247 portal that rank as 4* college players.

There are 4 defensive linemen in the 247 portal that rank as 4* college players.

So even if you killed it at WR and CB and QB, you still can’t build up the team you need through the portal.

It's a loaded argument because there will still only be a handful of schools that will legitimately compete for a title. Making the playoff won't be quite the benchmark it is, now.

On some level, the sell is much different. HS kids see things differently than a kid that's been in a program for a couple of years. Should be an easier sell at a place like Pitt where you're running pro style schemes.

I don’t think that makes it any easier at a school like Pitt. Or any school. You’re still looking for money and a starting spot. There’s nothing inherent about Pitt or Alabama or Tulsa that would make any one of those schools check both boxes in any particular years.

And the pro-style argument doesn’t make sense either. If you’re a big time transfer. Say Leary or McCall. What you’re looking for is an upgrade in talent around you to really put some eyes on you and allow you to have the kind of season you think you should, compared to you carrying the team and playing games that don’t matter.

What you probably aren’t looking for is a complicated offense that you have to try to learn in a few months.

And the pro-style argument doesn’t make sense either. If you’re a big time transfer. Say Leary or McCall. What you’re looking for is an upgrade in talent around you to really put some eyes on you and allow you to have the kind of season you think you should, compared to you carrying the team and playing games that don’t matter.

What you probably aren’t looking for is a complicated offense that you have to try to learn in a few months.
I don't know how guys learn pro offenses so quickly when they graduate and being around more talent will mean less touches. If you want to transfer to win a championship, cool, but not everyone is going to be in that position. Not everyone will be looking for that situation but if I was a FA QB type staring down the end of my eligibility and wanted to play up to being drafted, I'd give it a look.

The portal is now a couple of years old. We see certain trends, and there isn’t much reason to think those trends will change.

The thing about the transfer portal is it isn’t going to feed you all positions you need, because positions don’t enter it at equal rate.

There are 7 offensive linemen in the 247 portal that rank as 4* college players.

There are 4 defensive linemen in the 247 portal that rank as 4* college players.

So even if you killed it at WR and CB and QB, you still can’t build up the team you need through the portal.
Last year was really the first free flow year. We won't know for several more years. Maybe you focus on big guys with HS recruiting and go portal for skill?

Take a team like Pitt, hypothetically. Add a top QB, WRs, DBs and you'll have a hell of a good team. There is enough on the OL and DL that with improved skill positions you're in the conversation.

I don’t think that makes it any easier at a school like Pitt. Or any school. You’re still looking for money and a starting spot. There’s nothing inherent about Pitt or Alabama or Tulsa that would make any one of those schools check both boxes in any particular years.

And yet everyone is predicting Leary ends up at that offensive juggernaut Kentucky and their pro-style OC.

I don't know how guys learn pro offenses so quickly when they graduate and being around more talent will mean less touches. If you want to transfer to win a championship, cool, but not everyone is going to be in that position. Not everyone will be looking for that situation but if I was a FA QB type staring down the end of my eligibility and wanted to play up to being drafted, I'd give it a look.

No, you’re saying that because of FCJ.

There’s no evidence that anything you’re saying is anything a QB is looking for. And not much of a reason why they should.

Having to learn a brand new offense in a few months, and one that isn’t easy to learn, isn’t a great transfer spot.

Last year was really the first free flow year. We won't know for several more years. Maybe you focus on big guys with HS recruiting and go portal for skill?

Take a team like Pitt, hypothetically. Add a top QB, WRs, DBs and you'll have a hell of a good team. There is enough on the OL and DL that with improved skill positions you're in the conversation.

There’s not enough through the portal though. That’s through HS recruiting.

There’s no evidence that anything you’re saying is anything a QB is looking for.
Jordan Palmer disagrees. Last week he was saying that college OC's with NFL experience are an attractive destination for the transfer QB because you're getting exposed to legit NFL concepts and language.

Jordan Palmer disagrees. Last week he was saying that college OC's with NFL experience are an attractive destination for the transfer QB because you're getting exposed to legit NFL concepts and language.

Huh? What does that have to do with the offense? Unless your argument is that college OC’s with NFL experience only run pro systems?

There’s a little too much pushback in this thread to my simple, “high school recruiting is still a team’s foundation” point. And the only reason I can think of as to why is that people are looking at last year’s class and this one and trying to work backwards as to why these classes don’t matter.

So we have the transfer portal being the new lifeblood and pro-style systems being the hot demand for transfers.

No, you’re saying that because of FCJ.

There’s no evidence that anything you’re saying is anything a QB is looking for. And not much of a reason why they should.

Having to learn a brand new offense in a few months, and one that isn’t easy to learn, isn’t a great transfer spot.
So Pitt should be struggling to bring in transfer QB's?

So Pitt should be struggling to bring in transfer QB's?

I don’t know what “struggling” means? Like literally can’t bring in one? No, there aren’t many teams that should be struggling.

This cycle’s transfer portal, Pitt brought in a guy that was a 3* coming out of high school, and a once 5* that has played horrible the last two years and isn’t listed in 247’s Top 24 transfer QBs.

Do I think that’s “successful” or evidence of a competitive advantage that somehow proves the transfer portal is the future and high school recruiting can not be worried about? No.

I don’t know what “struggling” means? Like literally can’t bring in one? No, there aren’t many teams that should be struggling.

This cycle’s transfer portal, Pitt brought in a guy that was a 3* coming out of high school, and a once 5* that has played horrible the last two years and isn’t listed in 247’s Top 24 transfer QBs.

Do I think that’s “successful” or evidence of a competitive advantage that somehow proves the transfer portal is the future and high school recruiting can not be worried about? No.
Since you like to use 247 you should know McMillon was a 4-star Top 200 National Recruit.

Jurkovec has talent and if he puts it together, then he’ll get drafted fairly high. This article was from earlier this year.

Huh? What does that have to do with the offense? Unless your argument is that college OC’s with NFL experience only run pro systems?

Umm...

"Only" is a strong word.

Being able to learn and train in a pro-style system seems to be beneficial. That's what Palmer was eluding to.

Umm...

"Only" is a strong word.

Being able to learn and train in a pro-style system seems to be beneficial. That's what Palmer was eluding to.

But you’ve given me no evidence that those guys are running a “pro-system.”

Kingsbury is an NFL guy. If he came back to college next season, he would be running something so far away from FCJ, it wouldn’t even be worth comparing the two.

They improved the QB room. How much it matters is yet to be seen.

ADVERTISEMENT