ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball NCAA selection on ESPNU Sunday at 8:30 PM

Watched a bit of UPS vs Wisconsin last night while switching between Norte Dame-USC and Clemson-SC. I thought pitt looked quicker defensively than both wiscy and PSU. PSU’s middle’s are really, really good and one of Wisconsin’s outsides had 24 kills. There is nothing to suggest that pitt couldn’t hang with either team.

UPS lost in 5, and the final game was 20-18, and it was very, very intense. Penn state’s rpi is now 13. The badgers are 6 and pitt is 7.

Reactions: plcp
The guy at Volleytalk who does a bracketology every year has us as the 12th overall seed, playing Eastern Michigan in the first round and the Michigan - Yale winner in the second.

If we get past the first weekend we would go to Provo to play (if the seeds hold) Texas, with BYU and Oregon the other seeded team in that region.

Reactions: ThePanthers
The guy at Volleytalk who does a bracketology every year has us as the 12th overall seed, playing Eastern Michigan in the first round and the Michigan - Yale winner in the second.

If we get past the first weekend we would go to Provo to play (if the seeds hold) Texas, with BYU and Oregon the other seeded team in that region.
We should be higher than 12, but we'll see soon enough. Hopefully top 8.

Seems like a rough draw. I'd have preferred that BYU matchup given their recent injury issue. One could argue Texas was better than BYU even before that.

Don't know much about UM but that seems like a pretty tough R2 matchup as well.

Let's see how Pitt handles the scheduling given this weekend's other activities.

Seems like a rough draw. I'd have preferred that BYU matchup given their recent injury issue. One could argue Texas was better than BYU even before that.

Don't know much about UM but that seems like a pretty tough R2 matchup as well.

Let's see how Pitt handles the scheduling given this weekend's other activities.

It seems the argument was whether BYU should be the 4 and Texas the 5 or Texas the 4 and BYU the 5.

Given where we got seeded Michigan is actually a reasonable second round game. Their RPI ended up 22, which would mean that if they seeded exactly by RPI (and obviously they don't) the team seeded 12 should play the 21st seeded team, so Michigan is in the ballpark.

The other thing that you have to consider is that it is actually a part of the seeding process for volleyball (and several other "minor" sports) that they try to make teams travel less than 400 miles for the first two rounds, because if teams travel less than 400 miles they can bus rather than fly and it saves the schools and the NCAA money. Besides Michigan a few other schools that are within 400 miles and would have RPI's in the correct range would have been Purdue, Cincinnati and Dayton. There really weren't a whole lot of choices.

hopefully Pitt's times can be coordinated with the other games going on for us.

According to the bracket on the NCAA web site Pitt's Friday game is listed as a 7:00 game, as is the potential game on Saturday. I don't know if those are definite start times or just place holders, because all the game on Saturday have similar start times and you'd think they'd want to spread them out.

It seems the argument was whether BYU should be the 4 and Texas the 5 or Texas the 4 and BYU the 5.

Given where we got seeded Michigan is actually a reasonable second round game. Their RPI ended up 22, which would mean that if they seeded exactly by RPI (and obviously they don't) the team seeded 12 should play the 21st seeded team, so Michigan is in the ballpark.

The other thing that you have to consider is that it is actually a part of the seeding process for volleyball (and several other "minor" sports) that they try to make teams travel less than 400 miles for the first two rounds, because if teams travel less than 400 miles they can bus rather than fly and it saves the schools and the NCAA money. Besides Michigan a few other schools that are within 400 miles and would have RPI's in the correct range would have been Purdue, Cincinnati and Dayton. There really weren't a whole lot of choices.
IF they seeded by RPI, we would have been 6th though.

According to the bracket on the NCAA web site Pitt's Friday game is listed as a 7:00 game, as is the potential game on Saturday. I don't know if those are definite start times or just place holders, because all the game on Saturday have similar start times and you'd think they'd want to spread them out.
Tough weekend. I would have loved to have gone, but I'll be in Charlotte too. They are competing against Pitt bball on Friday night and Pitt vs Clemson on Sat night.

IF they seeded by RPI, we would have been 6th though.

Yeah, but like I said they obviously don't. Neither did basketball or any of the other sports that use/used RPI. They take other things into account as well. Such as only playing two games all year against the top 25. Playing most of our non-conference games at home is another thing that probably didn't help.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Overall, not too big of a deal. I was hoping for top 8 so they would maybe have a 3rd round game at home. Now, they likely have to go to Texas.

Overall, not too big of a deal. I was hoping for top 8 so they would maybe have a 3rd round game at home. Now, they likely have to go to Texas.

Top 8 doesn't get you a home game in the third round, top 4 does The four teams that advance from our regional to the Sweet 16 all go to BYU for the weekend, assuming that BYU wins twice.

In other words, if the seeds hold and we play Texas it will be in Provo, not in Austin.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT