ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball: Winners In The Transfer Portal

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I saw in VolleyTalk a link to a story by some “expert” the top ten winners in this year’s transfer portal so far. Pitt, which doesn’t have any pickups through the portal yet, isn’t in it of course.

The writer picked Texas as #1 again. I assume they recruit HS players, but they just get passed in the rotation by transfers. They have started all transfer players in the last two NCAA tournaments. Penn State was #2 as their coach is trying to build through the portal. Oregon was #3 and Nebraska was #4.

The only ACC school in the list was SMU. I guess they are taking entry into the SEC seriously.

To the extent anyone knows the answer, is the lack of an impact transfer a result of Fisher being satisfied with his roster or not being able to compete with the likes of Texas, Nebraska, and even Penn State, in the Portal?

To the extent anyone knows the answer, is the lack of an impact transfer a result of Fisher being satisfied with his roster or not being able to compete with the likes of Texas, Nebraska, and even Penn State, in the Portal?
I don't know for certain but Fisher has done pretty well with transfers in the past. No reason to think it's competition, necessarily.

Reactions: PittMBA
I don't know for certain but Fisher has done pretty well with transfers in the past. No reason to think it's competition, necessarily.
Portal season will heat up again in May when more transfers enter the portal. I don't think Fisher will stick with a roster of 14 athletes.....4 of whom are freshmen. I look for 1 or 2 more added to the roster by summer.

I was surprised he didn’t sign anyone from the portal early. There perhaps weren’t as many top quality players enter it as in recent years, but there were some quality players at the positions I think Fisher would prioritize: MB and DS/Libero.

I agree that competition was not the reason he didn’t sign anyone in the early period.

Last edited:
I was surprised he didn’t sign anyone from the portal early. There perhaps weren’t as many top quality players enter it as in recent years, but there were some quality players at the positions I think Fisher would prioritize: MB and DS/Libero.

I agree that competition was not the reason he didn’t sign anyone in the early period.
I think it's worth remembering that a lot of the portal activity in VB is the result of tampering via the club connections. It is getting a rather dirty, AAU basketball, feel to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT