ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball

Does anybody think it's odd that we are actually pretty good at women's volleyball?
It isn't odd when you understand that we have one of the best coaches in all of sports. He must really be good when you look at the roster and the homes of these players. They are from everywhere but the PA region and includes Hawaii, California, etc.

It isn't odd when you understand that we have one of the best coaches in all of sports. He must really be good when you look at the roster and the homes of these players. They are from everywhere but the PA region and includes Hawaii, California, etc.
I typically hesitate to use the ignore function, but you are so annoying and pedantic I have no choice.

? You asked a question and got a reasonable answer.

We have an outstanding program in large part because we have one of the best coaches in the sport and have committed to invest in the program.
I get it. I'm just surprised that of all the sports, we've hit the mother lode on this one.

? You asked a question and got a reasonable answer.

We have an outstanding program in large part because we have one of the best coaches in the sport and have committed to invest in the program.
SMF, with his infinite wisdom, wants to eliminate all non-revenue sports...

laugh-laughing.gif

Reactions: NCPitt
Does anybody think it's odd that we are actually pretty good at women's volleyball?

Nah. The program has 22 conference championships to its name. Mike Hebert and Shelton Collier were early HCs that became Hall of Famers. They were succeeded by Sue Woodstra who played for and then became HC of the US national team. It's mostly always been a competent program.

They've taken a jump because Fisher is 2020 Jock Sutherland. And we got him because one of those Hall of Fame coaches - Mike Hebert - recommended Pitt to hire him.

Nah. The program has 22 conference championships to its name. Mike Hebert and Shelton Collier were early HCs that became Hall of Famers. They were succeeded by Sue Woodstra who played for and then became HC of the US national team. It's mostly always been a competent program.

They've taken a jump because Fisher is 2020 Jock Sutherland. And we got him because one of those Hall of Fame coaches - Mike Hebert - recommended Pitt to hire him.
Also should note that women's volleyball is exploding in popularity. The midwest is a hotbed of quality junior teams and the Pittsburgh region is no exception. There is a tournament at the convention center in January that attracts teams from across the country. It's also not just Pitt. Juniata just won their fourth D3 championship, second in a row, and they will be stacked next year. Kutztown is in the D2 final eight.

No. We lucked into an elite coach, who was really just a mid-major lottery ticket. He ended up being Coach K and we decided to pay him top dollar. And in Olympic Sports, there's not enough (or any) money made for a Big Ten or SEC school to significantly outbid us. Maybe that will change with the new TV money coming in.

No. We lucked into an elite coach, who was really just a mid-major lottery ticket. He ended up being Coach K and we decided to pay him top dollar. And in Olympic Sports, there's not enough (or any) money made for a Big Ten or SEC school to significantly outbid us. Maybe that will change with the new TV money coming in.
Glad to see your consistent ignorance in all sports not just in football and basketball. Wrong again, Its a broken record. You know nothing.

Yes, those two conferences' teams each will have around $40 million more per year than us to spend on coaches, facilities, etc.

Impressive, I thought about getting tickets after they won last game, then I found out the Thursday game was 2:30pm. Maybe I'll buy tix for Saturday off the secondary market if they advance.
Keep in mind pitt very well will face Louisville in that game. Might be a pricy cost on the secondary market

Also should note that women's volleyball is exploding in popularity. The midwest is a hotbed of quality junior teams and the Pittsburgh region is no exception. There is a tournament at the convention center in January that attracts teams from across the country. It's also not just Pitt. Juniata just won their fourth D3 championship, second in a row, and they will be stacked next year. Kutztown is in the D2 final eight.
Nebraska had a crowd of 92,003 at their home volleyball match on August 30th. The court was set up in the football stadium. Watch Pitt play Washington State on December 7th at 2:30 Eastern on ESPNU.

It's a shame they've placating to the 500 WCBB fans. The volleyball team deserves center stage for a weekend.

Should be another sellout. WOnder if they would sell out if they moved it to the Pete

Should be another sellout. WOnder if they would sell out if they moved it to the Pete
pitt mens hoops play canisius at home tomorrow at 6pm. probably would do better holding that game at the field house and the women's v-ball game at the pete, will be more at the volleyball game.

but that would be a bad look of course and they would never do that (even if they should)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT