ADVERTISEMENT

Watson shows no imagination.....

ksquared33

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2013
......,design, gameplan other than trying to run what Canada did last year. Canada came in & built an offense that took advantage of not just our talents but also did it while attacking what our opponents were vulnerable too.
Watson seems to have no understanding of being a able to discipline this offense, execute, or be prepared, to say nothing of preparing these kids for the opponent that week.
Browne should have never been brought into this game as DeNucci did nothing that he should be blamed for in this game(let the kid grow & learn)......All Watson seems to rely upon is falling back onto what was successful last year under Canada. He has not developed anything original to this team building upon the progress that occurred last year.
It is pathetic to think what he could have been doing since he arrived on campus aside from hoping a USC bomb out would somehow lead us.
This game was all on Watson's total inability to prepare, call plays, adjust in actual game time, etc.
The whole Canada to Watson change proves how much a prepared / unprepared coach can effect what goes on from year to year.
Do not tell me we do not have playmakers....we just do not have someone leading them & understanding what situation they need to be put into. A coach also is the one who makes sure the players are well executed, prepared & ready for what they are going to do on any given Saturday.
All I see from Watson's is someone who try's to lift Canada's playbook like a 2 bit street hood.
I'm not even going to mention his playcalling F-up's because they are so obvious & numerous that they do not need to be mentioned.
Don't get me wrong there are other bitches that could be mentioned but nothing near what backward steps our offense has taken. The man has input nothing original, imaginative, complimentary to personal, etc....
And these kid's are following suite to the lack of coaching leadership they are not receiving.
Please can we end the Max Browne era...we got taken on this Grad Transfer & it will effect the rest of this season negatively even when he is not on the field.
And before anyone starts w/ the MAC level talent we have I do not see our Can't Miss 4-5 star impact players doing a damn thing, Browne, Hendrix, Clark, etc. Can we stop w/ always wanting someone else's 4-5 star transfers while limiting the development of kids who signed w/ us from the get go.

H2 PITT !!!

......,design, gameplan other than trying to run what Canada did last year. Canada came in & built an offense that took advantage of not just our talents but also did it while attacking what our opponents were vulnerable too.
Watson seems to have no understanding of being a able to discipline this offense, execute, or be prepared, to say nothing of preparing these kids for the opponent that week.
Browne should have never been brought into this game as DeNucci did nothing that he should be blamed for in this game(let the kid grow & learn)......All Watson seems to rely upon is falling back onto what was successful last year under Canada. He has not developed anything original to this team building upon the progress that occurred last year.
It is pathetic to think what he could have been doing since he arrived on campus aside from hoping a USC bomb out would somehow lead us.
This game was all on Watson's total inability to prepare, call plays, adjust in actual game time, etc.
The whole Canada to Watson change proves how much a prepared / unprepared coach can effect what goes on from year to year.
Do not tell me we do not have playmakers....we just do not have someone leading them & understanding what situation they need to be put into. A coach also is the one who makes sure the players are well executed, prepared & ready for what they are going to do on any given Saturday.
All I see from Watson's is someone who try's to lift Canada's playbook like a 2 bit street hood.
I'm not even going to mention his playcalling F-up's because they are so obvious & numerous that they do not need to be mentioned.
Don't get me wrong there are other bitches that could be mentioned but nothing near what backward steps our offense has taken. The man has input nothing original, imaginative, complimentary to personal, etc....
And these kid's are following suite to the lack of coaching leadership they are not receiving.
Please can we end the Max Browne era...we got taken on this Grad Transfer & it will effect the rest of this season negatively even when he is not on the field.
And before anyone starts w/ the MAC level talent we have I do not see our Can't Miss 4-5 star impact players doing a damn thing, Browne, Hendrix, Clark, etc. Can we stop w/ always wanting someone else's 4-5 star transfers while limiting the development of kids who signed w/ us from the get go.

H2 PITT !!!
he's not running what Canada ran last year. Not even close.

let me know when you see the O line run a pre-snap shift, with a fullback and slot man in cross motion.

We had way better offensive players last year for sure, but we ran a way better playbook too.

let me know when you see the O line run a pre-snap shift, with a fullback and slot man in cross motion.

We had way better offensive players last year for sure, but we ran a way better playbook too.
The OL flat out stinks

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Feature back Ollison goes down w/ the first sniff of a CB's arm tackle. There was a reason he was benched last year. He needs benched this year.

H2 PITT !!!

So when Browne stinks it's just because he stinks, but when DiNucci stinks it's all Watson's, the OL, and the receivers fault.

OK

Just because the outcomes of plays are not the same & or the formations are not identical does not mean that Watson is not relying on what worked last year. In 40 plus years I do not remember the motion handoff to the slot being a critical part of any Pitt offense. Or di ever see the inside pitch pass to the TE/ H-Back.
Don't be so literal. Watson has brought nothing to this offense, these kids responded to what was being taught last year. We have 3 10 TD scorers back.
We are not getting any improvement under this OC by these kids as compared to what Canada got last year.
For whatever reason the entire offense has NO imagination, structure, discipline, etc......
Asking for Max Browne to play even another series is beyond insane.....to what extent does it benefit Pitt football. I'll take Denucci's effort, gut's & savvy any day. 95 % of all starting QB's in P-5 programs will not have a opportunity to play beyond college ball let alone make it at the pro level. So can we stop w/ always trying to find pro style, prototypical QB's like Max Browne. Go out & find us a gamer w/ intangibles who finds a way to get the job done. That kid for GT was a gamer who made plays one way or another while we have people asking for Browne to come in the game. That kid from Youngstown St. had better game day intangibles, on field leadership, etc.
I luv all these QB wizards discussing how Dinucci does not have the arm strength to throw downfield as if they know what they are looking at......because I know I have not seen the kid be asked to throw the ball downfield or at least the play was never called or arose where he had the actual attempts w/ any frequency that would allow someone to make a true analysis if he could get the job done or not.
Last year all the same people bitching now sang a different tune about Weah & multiple other players who they now say blow. Point is I have seen players we have now raise their level of play against good comp. yet this year they do not seem to have the confidence in what it is they are being asked to do.
I know 1 thing calling plays for Ollison to run wide of the OT trying to gain yardage is not in Ollison's wheelhouse or comfort zone. Yet Watson called these plays on multiple plays where we went 3 & out. Then on 4th & 1 he runs Ollison on a motion end around.....brilliant to allow the D time to close on a slower RB running vertical when all we needed was 1 yard straight ahead.
Canada brought that play into the Panther rotation & had get success knowing when it was there to be taken advantage of because of the opposing D's formations, set-up's. etc. Seems like Watson has no idea when & where this play should be used or how to set the D up to be taken advantage of !
First you people bitched that PC sucked at recruiting & now those same people are bitching that we lost all the good players. Meanwhile you same people have bragged how Coach Duzz has out recruited PC in each of his 1st 3 years.
The level of contradiction is off the charts
IMO Watson has no feel for what he really wants to do.....I have not seen 1 game where I feel he is in control & has our O dictating the game. Even when he won the possession time our offense was not productive, Terrible RZ execution.

H2 PITT !!!

No clue about how strong DiNucci's arm is, but he does not have the accuracy to play at this level.

He will not play any meaningful minutes after this season.

Might as well play MCVitte or Pickett can't do any worse, try them all, and bench all the seniors. The worse part of this team is the O L. It's a veteran line loads of experience playing like true freshmen

Last edited:
Reactions: widesideend
Watson looks like he's running Canada-lite version of the offense and they do not have the same talent as last year to make it succeed. He and Narduzzi really need to reevaluate what they're doing on offense and design a system for the current group of players.

Someone started this in a different thread, but damn it makes sense. I'd go to a lot of wildcat. You can keep a lot of your concepts in place. I don't know. It feels right. I know they won't but...

Hmmm off tackle, dive play , or QB sneak???
Nothing else comes to mind? Its gotta be one of those three Hummm?
DR-WATSON-dr-john-h-watson-11360743-1920-1080.jpg

The real lack of imagination comes in with the switch in QBs. They are of two different styles with different assets, but for the most part, they are running the exact same offense. Oh, we say one cute option play in the OK St. game, but that's about it. Which means, they are under-utilizing DiNucci's skills, and trying to force him to do things that aren't in his best skill set.

With all passes at the line of scrimmage, defenses are loading up there. And with those pathetic runs by Ollison outside the tackles, all the defense converges, blowing the play up. That play should be run - even knowing it will fail, because Ollison doesn't have the speed or ability to make people miss for it to work - to set up the fake with DiNucci rolling the other way, to what will be the wide open side of the field. A middle school coach would see this and run it.

Pitt's offense was not only successful last year, it was fun and exciting to watch. But this year, I groan on 90% of the play calls, and its not just that the guys aren't executing, although that is part of it, its the total predictability of the play calls right now that is really sad.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

H2 PITT !!!
You mean running Ollison outside when he is as slow as the center and without any blocking is not imaginative! Then throwing him a swing pass with no blocking is not imaginative! 2 yard passes when you need 12, now thats imaginative.

Someone started this in a different thread, but damn it makes sense. I'd go to a lot of wildcat. You can keep a lot of your concepts in place. I don't know. It feels right. I know they won't but...
Henderson at qb? Possibly French? It's not as easy as '07 when you had a stud in shady to run the wildcat but those would probably be the options this season I would imagine.

Reactions: jt0716
I don't know the answer on offense. But I do know Watson has shown nothing at this point and the offense is terrible.

Reactions: Pittx9
No clue about how strong DiNucci's arm is, but he does not have the accuracy to play at this level.

He will not play any meaningful minutes after this season.
I haven't noticed accuracy being a bad problem with Dinucci. I have noticed it being a problem with Browne.

What happened to the play that they would do play action, and run the TE on a sean route, and we'd hit him in space?

I know that it doesn't work all the time, but I haven't seen it once yet, and it is not a hard throw to execute.

What happened to the play that they would do play action, and run the TE on a sean route, and we'd hit him in space?

I know that it doesn't work all the time, but I haven't seen it once yet, and it is not a hard throw to execute.
Ran it with Sear on week one. Not again to my recollection.

I have watched better offensive play design and play calling from high school coaches.

They ran it for a nice gain to Flanagan against YSU. Clark dropped 2 against PSU, one from Browne on 3rd and 22, one from DiNucci for a TD.

My biggest problem with Watson against GT was on the 2nd series. GT fumbles the ball and Pitt's on the 35 with a 7-0 lead. Not a single shot downfield, and neither pass play called even had the option of throwing it down field. A shovel pass and then a WR screen back into the teeth of the defense.

Playing for a chance at a FG won't win you any games in college football. It's unacceptable to not throw one downfield during that series.

Play Calling is fine, execution has been terrible. Too many dropped passes and sloppy routes by the WRs.

Sometimes you have to let your QBs air it out, even if the receiver isn't wide open but in single coverage. Pitt fans should know this well enough by now.

He's coaching them into robots at the QB position, or maybe it's Duzz terrified of turnovers. Way too many passes around the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Just because the outcomes of plays are not the same & or the formations are not identical does not mean that Watson is not relying on what worked last year. In 40 plus years I do not remember the motion handoff to the slot being a critical part of any Pitt offense. Or di ever see the inside pitch pass to the TE/ H-Back.
Don't be so literal. Watson has brought nothing to this offense, these kids responded to what was being taught last year. We have 3 10 TD scorers back.
We are not getting any improvement under this OC by these kids as compared to what Canada got last year.
For whatever reason the entire offense has NO imagination, structure, discipline, etc......
Asking for Max Browne to play even another series is beyond insane.....to what extent does it benefit Pitt football. I'll take Denucci's effort, gut's & savvy any day. 95 % of all starting QB's in P-5 programs will not have a opportunity to play beyond college ball let alone make it at the pro level. So can we stop w/ always trying to find pro style, prototypical QB's like Max Browne. Go out & find us a gamer w/ intangibles who finds a way to get the job done. That kid for GT was a gamer who made plays one way or another while we have people asking for Browne to come in the game. That kid from Youngstown St. had better game day intangibles, on field leadership, etc.
I luv all these QB wizards discussing how Dinucci does not have the arm strength to throw downfield as if they know what they are looking at......because I know I have not seen the kid be asked to throw the ball downfield or at least the play was never called or arose where he had the actual attempts w/ any frequency that would allow someone to make a true analysis if he could get the job done or not.
Last year all the same people bitching now sang a different tune about Weah & multiple other players who they now say blow. Point is I have seen players we have now raise their level of play against good comp. yet this year they do not seem to have the confidence in what it is they are being asked to do.
I know 1 thing calling plays for Ollison to run wide of the OT trying to gain yardage is not in Ollison's wheelhouse or comfort zone. Yet Watson called these plays on multiple plays where we went 3 & out. Then on 4th & 1 he runs Ollison on a motion end around.....brilliant to allow the D time to close on a slower RB running vertical when all we needed was 1 yard straight ahead.
Canada brought that play into the Panther rotation & had get success knowing when it was there to be taken advantage of because of the opposing D's formations, set-up's. etc. Seems like Watson has no idea when & where this play should be used or how to set the D up to be taken advantage of !
First you people bitched that PC sucked at recruiting & now those same people are bitching that we lost all the good players. Meanwhile you same people have bragged how Coach Duzz has out recruited PC in each of his 1st 3 years.
The level of contradiction is off the charts
IMO Watson has no feel for what he really wants to do.....I have not seen 1 game where I feel he is in control & has our O dictating the game. Even when he won the possession time our offense was not productive, Terrible RZ execution.

H2 PITT !!!
Agreed........... for the folks who said we lost a ton from last year haven't been around college football programs.

We have 4 starters and kids who have played a ton on the Oline. We also added a starter from Texas to help out. We lost two lineman ( who couldn't make NFL rosters). So it's not like we lost two Outland trophy winners ).

Our wideouts and TE's are very experienced and had a lot of success last year. With a year under their belts u would expect them to be even better a year later.

Last year we played with a 80 percent healthy Connor so the backs should be pretty good this year. If the offensive coordinator was any good. He would at least be able to find a QB to run this offense.

Watson is going to sink this ship unless Nards does something in the off season

Clark has been a major disappointment and that is being nice.
If the QB cannot get the ball downfield how is that the fault of the wideouts and TE's?

Clark has been running around uncovered at least 4 times a game. Yet, he has 2 passes thrown to him

Bill Walsh couldn't gameplan a win with these guys. Just sayin.

Exactly. All it takes is one player to miss an assignment - and the play gets blown up. It's the usual suspects... JJS, Officer, *Flanagan*. Add in a bunch of mediocre backs and QB's who can't recover from that single break-down... and you have chaos.

If the QB cannot get the ball downfield how is that the fault of the wideouts and TE's?

Clark has been running around uncovered at least 4 times a game. Yet, he has 2 passes thrown to him

He has dropped at least 50% of the passes thrown to him.

Trust me I am not defending the QB's because frankly they are not good either. But Clark has a number of bad drops.

Keep in mind you're you're responding to a guy who believed Clark would be an instant upgrade over Orndorff based solely on his recruiting hype.

This same guy just stated that we really didn't lose much from last year's offense that prominently featured:

Peterman
DJ
Biz
Conner
Orndorff
Ford
Parrish
Aston

Just so you know who you're dealing with.

Keep in mind you're you're responding to a guy who believed Clark would be an instant upgrade over Orndorff based solely on his recruiting hype.

This same guy just stated that we really didn't lose much from last year's offense that prominently featured:

Peterman
DJ
Biz
Conner
Orndorff
Ford
Parrish
Aston

Just so you know who you're dealing with.
If you don't think Clark and Finnegan are a upgrade to Orndoff and Parrish at the TE spot. Your football IQ is garbage. Which I have known for awhile reading ur jibberish.

If you have played and been around highly recruited football players as I have. You can see the difference in athlitism, size , speed. Compared to Parrish, Orndoff lol

My opinion has nothing to do with high school rankings as u claim. ( when someone makes false claims as this tool did ) it's usually to hide the fact he has no knowledge in which he speaks.

It's not the fault of the TE's who have been wide open every single game. That the QB's cannot get the ball to them.

I've seen enough of Watson to know he is going to sink Narduzzi 's ship if he stays as the offensive coordinator.

You think he's doing a good job and blaming the fact we lost a ton of people. I see it as normal turnover for a college football team.

I am willing to bet ....I will be correct and u will be completely wrong as usual.

Neither Pitt QB averaged as much as 6 yards per pass attempt Saturday. GT had six players average more than 6 yards per RUSH attempt.

Both might be below average QBs, but you'd never know because the timid play-calling gave neither one a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: sherepower
If you don't think Clark and Finnegan are a upgrade to Orndoff and Parrish at the TE spot. Your football IQ is garbage. Which I have known for awhile reading ur jibberish.

If you have played and been around highly recruited football players as I have. You can see the difference in athlitism, size , speed. Compared to Parrish, Orndoff lol

My opinion has nothing to do with high school rankings as u claim. ( when someone makes false claims as this tool did ) it's usually to hide the fact he has no knowledge in which he speaks.

It's not the fault of the TE's who have been wide open every single game. That the QB's cannot get the ball to them.

I've seen enough of Watson to know he is going to sink Narduzzi 's ship if he stays as the offensive coordinator.

You think he's doing a good job and blaming the fact we lost a ton of people. I see it as normal turnover for a college football team.

I am willing to bet ....I will be correct and u will be completely wrong as usual.
You have consistently been one of the most clueless posters on the Lair, and that's no small feat. And the beat goes on.

Tell me, Mr. Football, exactly what you've personally seen from Clark or Flanagan at any point in time--from the time you first heard of them until right now to support your statement that "You can see the difference in athlitism, size , speed. Compared to Parrish, Orndoff lol".

Are you blaming the QBs for all of Clark's drops so far?

And by the way--Clark may very well end up being good. Maybe he'll even be great. He has big upside and a lot of football left ahead of him if he doesn't flake out along the way. But your preseason post was that he was an instant upgrade over Orndoff, who had an outstanding senior year. That was just dumb.

Lastly, I would welcome the opportunity to match your college football credentials against mine. For starters, tell me what position you played at the D1 level.

I would take Chad voytek at this point at QB. Chryst at least utilized him fairly well his last year here.

ADVERTISEMENT