3. C.J. Stroud, quarterback, Ohio State
  4. Will Levis, quarterback, Kentucky
  5. Bryce Young, quarterback, Alabama
  6. Peter Skoronski, offensive tackle, Northwestern
  7. Bijan Robinson, running back, Texas
  8. Michael Mayer, tight end, Notre Dame
  9. Paris Johnson Jr., offensive tackle, Ohio State
  10. Jordan Addison, wide receiver, USC
Sorry to steer this away from the scintillating Addison v Wayne discussion but can someone please explain the fascination with Will Levis?

Sorry to steer this away from the scintillating Addison v Wayne discussion but can someone please explain the fascination with Will Levis?
He's big, he throws it hard, he's the kinda guy GMs could see dating their daughters(he's white)... he sucks at football, but he looks kinda like some guys who are good!

Reactions: PittPharm2002
This is a good place and time to give some props to Mumpfield who worked hard today, he isn’t the home run hitter he was hoped to be but today showed he can be productive and reliable. He took some dam hard hits after catching many passes today, and kept working for more yards. Means similarly showed more today (one bizarre drop where he almost ricocheted the ball to the DB, not withstanding). This is not a passing game dreams are made of but it at least has to be productive to help the excellent running game.

Reactions: DruidTM and BPKY
More than any of the other major sports the NFL is an emulative league, they look for guys who have a lot in common with current stars. Levis has a lot of the same measurables as Josh Allen, and to be honest some of the same lack of production at the collegiate level that Allen did.

His play is probably costing him a top 5 spot in the draft, but someone is going to take a shot at Levis in the top 15 or so.

More than any of the other major sports the NFL is an emulative league, they look for guys who have a lot in common with current stars. Levis has a lot of the same measurables as Josh Allen, and to be honest some of the same lack of production at the collegiate level that Allen did.

His play is probably costing him a top 5 spot in the draft, but someone is going to take a shot at Levis in the top 15 or so.
I like Maye the best out of this year and next year’s QB crop. You are right about someone taking a chance on Levis, but I wouldn’t touch him in the first round.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I like Maye the best out of this year and next year’s QB crop. You are right about someone taking a chance on Levis, but I wouldn’t touch him in the first round.
Me neither, he ticks all the boxes but doesn’t really seem to get it done on the field. I was 100% wrong about Allen, didn’t see how a guy that wasn’t accurate in high school or college would translate to the NFL but he has proved me wrong. I’ve seen Levis play 25 times or more and just don’t see it happening at the next level, maybe I’m wrong about him too but I doubt it.

I’ll add Jurkovec to this as well, he wasn’t nearly as highly regarded as Levis but people thought he had an NFL future and I just never saw it. The guy backing him up at BC looks like a better prospect to me.

What he did was the smart play by every measure. Get paid a ton of money to go to a great school in a great city and play for the best coach of the passing game in the country and a star QB. He got hurt out there but that could have happened in any game he plays in any uniform he wears.

None of us have to like it or wish him well, but anyone with a brain would have made the same decision if they had the same life-changing career opportunity. You’d have to be a fool not to.

Just flip on any Pitt game this season for all the evidence you need that Addison made the right call.

His 40 time will be more important to his NFL draft position than playing for Riley or putting up stats this year. His ability to produce at the college level is a known quantity.

I had to skip an entire page of posts in this thread because it was unbearable.

to even consider that JA wouldn’t have been a 1st round pick if he stayed at Pitt is crazy. He is still the same guy who was the best receiver in college football last season, and he would absolutely have production this season. We are a team without a #1 receiver. For as much as we like Wayne, he’s not a #1. How many yards would he have if he didn’t drop so many balls? How many TDs? For all the yardage Wayne has, Addison would have that much more. Plus we’d have a couple more wins if we had Addison…the Tennessee game would have been a win for sure in my opinion. Nothing against our other guys but they all reside in this offense one slot higher than they should be. And as far as Mumpfield, maybe it’s wishful thinking but I think he takes a leap next year. This notion that this level is too high for him is silly when you consider MAC receivers who go from the MAC to the NFL.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I had to skip an entire page of posts in this thread because it was unbearable.

to even consider that JA wouldn’t have been a 1st round pick if he stayed at Pitt is crazy. He is still the same guy who was the best receiver in college football last season, and he would absolutely have production this season. We are a team without a #1 receiver. For as much as we like Wayne, he’s not a #1. How many yards would he have if he didn’t drop so many balls? How many TDs? For all the yardage Wayne has, Addison would have that much more. Plus we’d have a couple more wins if we had Addison…the Tennessee game would have been a win for sure in my opinion. Nothing against our other guys but they all reside in this offense one slot higher than they should be. And as far as Mumpfield, maybe it’s wishful thinking but I think he takes a leap next year. This notion that this level is too high for him is silly when you consider MAC receivers who go from the MAC to the NFL.
Is someone arguing that the move to SC helped his draft position considerably? I’m not, barring health issues he’s a first rounder out of either program. But given that reality, why not go play for a better team in a better city at a better school for a better coach with a better QB in a better offense with better national media attention and with a better shot at a meaningful postseason, and with a lot more money to boot.

1+1 = 2. if anyone on this board is capable of being even a little bit objective his decision was an absolute no-brainer.

Reactions: Hayekr
You could also objectively say Jordan doesn't care about the education quality, he would have put up good numbers here taking Wayne's 10 targets a game, and Pitt would likely be 9-1 while ranked in the top 10.

The NIL money is the delta, and he probably like the attention in LA.

Is someone arguing that the move to SC helped his draft position considerably? I’m not, barring health issues he’s a first rounder out of either program. But given that reality, why not go play for a better team in a better city at a better school for a better coach with a better QB in a better offense with better national media attention and with a better shot at a meaningful postseason, and with a lot more money to boot.

1+1 = 2. if anyone on this board is capable of being even a little bit objective his decision was an absolute no-brainer.
Yeah I’m not debating any of that. All I’m saying is his draft status is unchanged going out there, and he would have numbers here in this offense.

Not necessarily related to his draft status, but as has been mentioned Jordan Addison has one catch for 2 yards since October 15. Southern Cal still has regular season games remaining with UCLA and Notre Dame. They also will likely play in the Pac 12 championship game. That would be against a relatively tough opponent as well. So it’ll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out for him.

Robert Smith, the ex-Vikings pro bowl RB said Randy Moss was the greatest reason he had some of his best rushing years. To paraphrase, he said when you play in a pro-style system, sure it's easy to bracket one of those receivers because you have 4 DB's to 2 WR's. With Randy that meant Robert Smith was going to have some phenomenal production.

If you are dude - you can have phenomenal production in whatever offensive scheme. Sure - you need a QB - but it usually isn't the "formation" that keeps one from producing.

You could also objectively say Jordan doesn't care about the education quality, he would have put up good numbers here taking Wayne's 10 targets a game, and Pitt would likely be 9-1 while ranked in the top 10.

With ten thousand other celebrities there who is paying the least attention to him, though?

It’s fine he got his money, fiscally smart and and all that (though he would have gotten the same here). His presence there is a blip that won’t ever be mentioned again; heck other than us here, nobody is mentioning him now. Whereas he plays here, he’s still getting his money…AND Pitt might be in the playoff hunt, he’s likely leading the nation or close to it in receiving numbers again, the star of the ACC, he becomes the same level of legend if not more than Larry Fitz. And I’ll say one more time, he’s still get the same money and the same if not better draft position this spring. It’s too bad for all involved.

Reactions: joeydavid
With ten thousand other celebrities there who is paying the least attention to him, though?

It’s fine he got his money, fiscally smart and and all that (though he would have gotten the same here). His presence there is a blip that won’t ever be mentioned again; heck other than us here, nobody is mentioning him now. Whereas he plays here, he’s still getting his money…AND Pitt might be in the playoff hunt, he’s likely leading the nation or close to it in receiving numbers again, the star of the ACC, he becomes the same level of legend if not more than Larry Fitz. And I’ll say one more time, he’s still get the same money and the same if not better draft position this spring. It’s too bad for all involved.
Going to disagree with you here, there is almost no chance this Pitt team was making the playoffs with or without Jordan Addison.

And where he is now he legitimately IS in the playoff hunt. Not a very good chance in my opinion as I don’t see them winning out, but certainly they are in position.

GG- we’re way more than one elite WR away from being any good. We have numerous offensive weaknesses no one player could overcome. Let’s start with the coordinator and the QB. This was never gonna look anything like 2021, no matter what.

I mean he got tackled by 1 dude, it's not like USC was playing on loose gravel and used needles.

They should have used the bubble wrap. Then the worst thing that could have happened when he got tackled is that one of the bubbles might have popped.

GG- we’re way more than one elite WR away from being any good. We have numerous offensive weaknesses no one player could overcome. Let’s start with the coordinator and the QB. This was never gonna look anything like 2021, no matter what.
I agree, but we could still be a highly ranked team by only being a little bit better.

I'm no fan of the QB, but with the way he locks on a single WR it's not hard to imagine JA putting up some numbers.

Wayne's getting 10 or more targets most games. Addison would get more, and produce a lot more.

I agree, but we could still be a highly ranked team by only being a little bit better.

I'm no fan of the QB, but with the way he locks on a single WR it's not hard to imagine JA putting up some numbers.

My first post about Addison leaving was this very point. Slovis had a reputation at USC for being a tunnel vision QB. Addison would have been the light at the end of that tunnel. That would be big for both of them.

ADVERTISEMENT