ADVERTISEMENT

Wayne vs Addison - Production

Add in Yogi Roth. He and Joey D equal a full size human
was it Yogi who Rod threw to in the last play of the game against miami? wide open, only problem was the WR was 5'3" and the pass was a 1/2 foot over his head or we'd have knocked them off that year.

way to ruin this thread sir.

This What I Do GIF - This What I Do Pimp This What I Do Doing Me GIFs

I hate nobody. But she was derelict in her duties. As AD, she had to see Cig would be a potential disaster, that he’d done nothing to improve any program anywhere he’d been. It was a lazy vanity hire on Duz part and she should have contested it strongly. Maybe she did behind the scenes. Not likely though. And yeah he did have some gravitas he earned from the previous season, but she had to know how important the stakes were this season, to build on that success. Duz is in the weeds, he’s fat and comfortable and will likely be in retirement someday soon, but the AD has to think more long term and understand the powerful headwinds that will soon be in Pitt football’s path.

Slovis is more understandable, he had a good pedigree. And normally a coach will bench a player that sucks outright, so she could expect that to happen if (when) Slovis failed. It so happens Duz is not normal in that regard and is sticking with Slovis to the grim end. Se leve. That’s just the way it goes. That’s life.

When a season backfires as badly as this one did, fingers will appropriately be pointed. Don’t suck, and it won’t happen. It’s a story that has existed as long as competitive sports.
Now see I agree with most of what you say in this post except when you just assume that it is "not likely" that she contested the hiring of Cig strongly. You don't know that. It could have been similar to the situation when Stevie P met with Wanny after the 09 season and strongly suggested he get his players under control and hire better assistants. Wanny stood up and told Stevie P to go F himself. Many on this board criticized Stevie P for meddling in the football program. And I very much agree that Nardo is extremely stubborn any way to comfortable and thinks he is untouchable.

A play that sticks out was when in the last minute of a game against Virginia Tech Weah caught a pass and could not out run the VT secondary. He gets tackled at the one and Pitt could not punch it in. Pitt lost.

Now see I agree with most of what you say in this post except when you just assume that it is "not likely" that she contested the hiring of Cig strongly. You don't know that. It could have been similar to the situation when Stevie P met with Wanny after the 09 season and strongly suggested he get his players under control and hire better assistants. Wanny stood up and told Stevie P to go F himself. Many on this board criticized Stevie P for meddling in the football program. And I very much agree that Nardo is extremely stubborn any way to comfortable and thinks he is untouchable.
You’re right; I don’t know that. I mention that she may well have done so, and I respect that he had just come off a championship and had more leverage than typical, and coaches reserve the right to hire their staff etc etc. If Cig had worked out nobody would question this either. But when the decisions backfire like this did, the questions are valid.

Kiper had him as the #1 wr in his position draft outlook just a few weeks ago. So yes, i think addison is absolutely a first rd pick..

Personally, i dont like that sized wr being a first rd pick. The addison, dotson type. If you use a first rd pick for a WR, i want him to be a bigger outside guy, like a Chase from bengals. Addison to me seems like an NFL slot guy..

but im not a GM so what do i know..
I agree on size. He gets drafted very high but I don't think he has some hall.of fame career. I see him more as a#2 or #3 once he gets a season in

Colorado is a bad team, a good night to pad the stats if your Addison.
Both Addison and Mario Williams are returning for USC tonight. As the game is not expected to be close I would assume both those guys would only be in to get some reps in preparation for the UCLA game.

Never disliked Weah, he made the most of his great speed/zero football player ability. Far too many drops. Insane number of drops, actually. But as mentioned, he wasn’t really a football player.

Wayne has been one of my favorites since coming on the scene. He’s punching a weight class higher than intended right now and wobbling a bit, but that’s all Mumpfield’s fault for failing at the designated WR1 he was brought in to be.

EDIT. “Fault” is probably an unfair word regarding Mumpfield. He simply seems overmatched at this level. Don’t know if part of that is the poor scheme or lack of development. I’m sure he’s trying hard. But his failure (not an unfair word) along with Means and Bradley cratering as targets, forced Wayne to try to be a WR1 and he is not suited to it.
Agree mostly.
Wear had a bit more physical talent, but just wasn't a football player. Wayne is more of a baller.

Offensive failure of this team is a team effort from the coaches on down, but first in line has been the QB and WR, imo. Wayne lesser so, obviously, but he has slipped a bit lately.

here is a serious question. if Weah doesnt get caught from behind and we beat va tech, is Jester Weah remembered much more fondly by pitt fans than he is now?

I am serious. i swear, i actually dislike weah and i think it's 100000% because he got caught from behind..
No. He was an athlete but he just wasn’t a football player. Canada knew what he could and couldn’t do and used him very effectively in a one dimensional role that would never have worked for Weah if not for how multiple that offense was and how well we ran the ball. He very rarely faced double coverage or had to run a route that wasnt sideline vertical. The guy had terrible fundamentals, couldn’t run a route to save his life and had bricks for hands. What he could do is get down the sideline and out-physical a defender for the ball 1 on 1. He regressed to his mean as soon as Canada left, as did a few other similarly limited offensive players.

I know I’m a broken record on this, but what Canada was able to do with that offense in just one year was genius IMO. I know he hasn’t impressed since for whatever reason, but that does nothing to diminish what he did at Pitt. I wish we could have kept him around for a while but the money always wins.

He’ll be back. What else would he do? Leave Pitt to be a late pick or UDFA? Can’t imagine he’s that dumb.
He could always transfer to a more pass happy offense I guess. He's a pretty good college WR.

No. He was an athlete but he just wasn’t a football player. Canada knew what he could and couldn’t do and used him very effectively in a one dimensional role that would never have worked for Weah if not for how multiple that offense was and how well we ran the ball. He very rarely faced double coverage or had to run a route that wasnt sideline vertical. The guy had terrible fundamentals, couldn’t run a route to save his life and had bricks for hands. What he could do is get down the sideline and out-physical a defender for the ball 1 on 1. He regressed to his mean as soon as Canada left, as did a few other similarly limited offensive players.

I know I’m a broken record on this, but what Canada was able to do with that offense in just one year was genius IMO. I know he hasn’t impressed since for whatever reason, but that does nothing to diminish what he did at Pitt. I wish we could have kept him around for a while but the money always wins.
I echo the Canada brilliance that season. He might have stunk at LSU, at MD, and definitely seems to stink now, but in that year, with such minimal talent, there couldn’t have been a better OC in existence in college football.

If he returns next season to improve his stock, do you think we Parker Stewart him back to Pitt?
Is that a joke? If he does stay at USC another season and stays healthy he’ll be a first team AA again.

What a lot of posters here don’t seem to get, or maybe just deny because he left, is that the guy is one of the most talented players in college football, regardless of position.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Never disliked Weah, he made the most of his great speed/zero football player ability. Far too many drops. Insane number of drops, actually. But as mentioned, he wasn’t really a football player.

Wayne has been one of my favorites since coming on the scene. He’s punching a weight class higher than intended right now and wobbling a bit, but that’s all Mumpfield’s fault for failing at the designated WR1 he was brought in to be.

EDIT. “Fault” is probably an unfair word regarding Mumpfield. He simply seems overmatched at this level. Don’t know if part of that is the poor scheme or lack of development. I’m sure he’s trying hard. But his failure (not an unfair word) along with Means and Bradley cratering as targets, forced Wayne to try to be a WR1 and he is not suited to it.
Mumpfield has shown to be just another guy out there. Nothing special about his ability at all.

Mumpfield has shown to be just another guy out there. Nothing special about his ability at all.
Yeah. Big disappointment. Can’t really blame the Duz on this one, he was legitimately expected to be much better. But he just wanders around in the secondary. Possibly the routes are simply beyond him, perhaps P5 DBs are simply too high a leap in competition for him.

He could always transfer to a more pass happy offense I guess. He's a pretty good college WR.
He is for sure but he’s lead dog here, and would be just a cog in the machine in the type of offense you’re taking about. I don’t think those types of programs need much of what he brings.

Most ADs don’t get any say in who their revenue sports coaches hire. Coaches have egos and they don’t want to work for micromanaging meddling ADs. Wisconsin with BA was a unicorn in that sense, but that very quality of his drove both Bielema and Anderson out of there.

If Heather tried to insert herself into Narduzzi’s staff hires it would not go well for anyone involved.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
He is for sure but he’s lead dog here, and would be just a cog in the machine in the type of offense you’re taking about. I don’t think those types of programs need much of what he brings.
Yes. He is def The Guy here for the foreseeable future as well. Seems to be the only receiver Slovis remotely has a connection with. And Slovis indisputably will play next year unless injured. So he’d be taking a big risk to leave unless going to a G5 with no returning receivers, but even then. Catching 60 for 750 for a P5 is better for the resume.

Is that a joke? If he does stay at USC another season and stays healthy he’ll be a first team AA again.

What a lot of posters here don’t seem to get, or maybe just deny because he left, is that the guy is one of the most talented players in college football, regardless of position.

Yes, yes it was. He won't be playing college football next season.

Most ADs don’t get any say in who their revenue sports coaches hire. Coaches have egos and they don’t want to work for micromanaging meddling ADs. Wisconsin with BA was a unicorn in that sense, but that very quality of his drove both Bielema and Anderson out of there.

If Heather tried to insert herself into Narduzzi’s staff hires it would not go well for anyone involved.
I totally agree. That was my point in the first response to the person who was blaming Heather for Nardo hiring Cig AND bringing in Slovis! An AD should not be involved in assistant coach hiring or player signing unless the coach or player being pursued has character issues.

Jared Wayne is definitely an NFL receiver. Now what level of success he has in the NFL is another story. But Jared Wayne is definitely a possession receiver at the NFL level. Jared Wayne is definitely an NFL receiver. Now what level of success he has in the NFL is another story. But Jared Wayne is definitely a possession receiver at the NFL level. Addison left for the money that’s it. Prior to him leaving Pitt he was the first round grade. People don’t like his size but I’ve always liked receivers like Santana Moss the Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, Wayne Chrebet, Deion Branch who find ways to get open.

Jared Wayne is definitely an NFL receiver. Now what level of success he has in the NFL is another story. But Jared Wayne is definitely a possession receiver at the NFL level. Jared Wayne is definitely an NFL receiver. Now what level of success he has in the NFL is another story. But Jared Wayne is definitely a possession receiver at the NFL level. Addison left for the money that’s it. Prior to him leaving Pitt he was the first round grade. People don’t like his size but I’ve always liked receivers like Santana Moss the Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, Wayne Chrebet, Deion Branch who find ways to get open.
Stefon Diggs is similar size, similar 40 time, good hands, great route runner like Addison, but I don’t want Addison to turn into something like that.

I could care less what Addison does at USC. But I don’t particularly wish him well. What he did was disrespectful to our team and university imo, but his decision is his decision. If he succeeds then good for him, but I’m not going to waste any energy worrying about what he does or doesn’t do at USC.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I could care less what Addison does at USC. But I don’t particularly wish him well. What he did was disrespectful to our team and university imo, but his decision is his decision. If he succeeds then good for him, but I’m not going to waste any energy worrying about what he does or doesn’t do at USC.
What he did was the smart play by every measure. Get paid a ton of money to go to a great school in a great city and play for the best coach of the passing game in the country and a star QB. He got hurt out there but that could have happened in any game he plays in any uniform he wears.

None of us have to like it or wish him well, but anyone with a brain would have made the same decision if they had the same life-changing career opportunity. You’d have to be a fool not to.

Just flip on any Pitt game this season for all the evidence you need that Addison made the right call.

ADVERTISEMENT