ADVERTISEMENT

We Offered a Steel Valley MAC Commit

Feel like Narduzzi has recruited well and wide enough to earn a little more trust than this. He has never recruited many WPIAL/City League players, so maybe he sees something here.

Reactions: pittmeister
Also, maybe recruiting used to be lazy. But these guys have more tape/staff at their disposal than every before.

I mean Syracuse has watched his film a ton before.. I wonder why they just offered today??

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Syracuse. Freaking Syracuse. That's not 1/3 of the P5.
we're late in the process. How many more weeks until LOI?

Good grief man..

The point remains - most schools rely on other schools to do their recruiting.

If Cruce was offered by PITT in March of last year - there is no doubt he'd have triple the offers he has right now. If Cruce got a PSU offer, he would've seen all of the SEC schools minus Bama and Georgia instantly start recruiting him. If he would've gotten an OSU offer, every school in the country would start recruiting him.

I had a college coach tell me last night that when he coached at OSU - they monitored like 5-6 schools and if those schools sent an offer out, it was a greenlight to start recruiting and push an offer to that kid.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Good grief man..

If Cruce was offered by PITT in March of last year - there is no doubt he'd have triple the offers he has right now. If Cruce got a PSU offer, he would've seen all of the SEC schools minus Bama and Georgia instantly start recruiting him. If he would've gotten an OSU offer, every school in the country would start recruiting him.

I had a college coach tell me last night that when he coached at OSU - they monitored like 5-6 schools and if those schools sent an offer out, it was a greenlight to start recruiting and push an offer to that kid.

The same things were said about Cam Bright and Noah Palmer when they committed early. Both of those offer bonanzas never came. And those are just two of hundreds of examples.

Yes, some guys blow up late in the recruiting cycle. Haba Baldonado, K'Won Wallace, etc. Sometimes they come with a weird caveat (didn't participate in camps, family moved a lot, growth spurt, etc.) Other times it's just desperate teams scrounging for what they can in the 11th hour. But saying a dude would have gotten 20 P5 offers if Pitt pulled the triggers remains as fictitious as the idea that Bigfoot is lurking in Schenley Park. We recruit plenty of guys whose offer sheets don't blow up after we offer.

Here's a list of the guys we're on record as having extended an offer to in this cycle. Some are obviously not commitable, but that doesn't change the premise one bit. You can find plenty of examples where this just wasn't the case.

https://247sports.com/college/pittsburgh/Season/2023-Football/Offers/

Reactions: cashisking884
Everybody knew that Noah Palmer only got an offer to help with the recruitment of his teammate. He was never a decent prospect.

I mean, we was a legit mid 3-star.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Noah-Palmer-105859/RecruitInterests/

Rivals even had him as a 5.6.

And even if your theory is correct and Pitt only offered him to help bring Danielson here, should the logic still apply that other P5 teams would have seen that offer and did the same?

And if this is all true, then Pat Narduzzi should lead Dino Babers, Tony Elliot, Luke Hafley, etc. on a cat and mouse chase every year, right? He should offer guys who he doesn't think are P5 players just to trick them into taking them.

I don't care about the Rivals number. His offer sheet was terrible; he had a couple of MAC offers and Army and Robert Morris. The 247 composite had him at worse than 1100 nationally. And where did he end up, Duquesne eventually? Nobody is fooled in situations like this.

I don't care about the Rivals number. His offer sheet was terrible; he had a couple of MAC offers and Army and Robert Morris. The 247 composite had him at worse than 1100 nationally. And where did he end up, Duquesne eventually? Nobody is fooled in situations like this.

Well, this was kind of my point. A Pitt offer doesn't automatically mean a guy's recruiting is going to blow up.

I probably disagree, however, with the notion that we were using him solely to bring Danielson here. I think that's more of a fan-driven narrative. For example, we never offered Noah Hamlin just to have a better shot at Lamont Wade. Fans say this all the time, but I don't think it actually plays out very often. I'm sure it's happened, though.

The same things were said about Cam Bright and Noah Palmer when they committed early.
What kid of Northeastern schools have relationships and connections in Mobile Alabama?

That type of offer is kind of unique.

PITT is primarily in competition with the Syracuse's, BC's, Rutgers, WVU's, Michigan State's, VT's, UVA's, etc... Do those types of schools regularly go into Alabama and recruit? I personally don't know. Is BC going to offer a kid who they know is an extreme longshot to land based upon relationships and geography?

What kid of Northeastern schools have relationships and connections in Mobile Alabama?

That type of offer is kind of unique.

PITT is primarily in competition with the Syracuse's, BC's, Rutgers, WVU's, Michigan State's, VT's, UVA's, etc... Do those types of schools regularly go into Alabama and recruit? I personally don't know. Is BC going to offer a kid who they know is an extreme longshot to land based upon relationships and geography?

Why would it have to be northeastern schools? Why couldn't it be Mississippi State, Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kansas State... whomever. I don't see why it would have to be schools in Pitt's general geography. If I recall correctly, however, Bright was playing in Alabama by way of Ohio, originally. I don't think he was from down there.

Why would it have to be northeastern schools? Why couldn't it be Mississippi State, Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kansas State... whomever. I don't see why it would have to be schools in Pitt's general geography. If I recall correctly, however, Bright was playing in Alabama by way of Ohio, originally. I don't think he was from down there.
Texas Tech has two scholarship players who are not from the former Confederate States of America (a long snapper and tight end each from California.) Vast majority are Texans.

Other than one guy from Hawaii and a California kicker, Mississippi State is 100% players from the former CSA.

Kansas State and Kansas are a little different because their state is the JUCO football king, and has been since the 1920s (KJCCC featured on "Last Chance U".) There are a few other oddball programs like Notre Dame and BYU for religious reasons.

But generally once you get below...idk, top 200? players, and the top few programs, you don't have the budget to recruit nationally, so your competition is your neighbors. That's just how it works in football, with its giant roster sizes. When the various programs are competing over these 1500 or so three star players, they tend to be the ones that they can afford to have a coach on to visit, to be able to have the kid drive in for a game, or that they're able to do in more bulk visits (markets in Florida) etc.

Texas Tech has two scholarship players who are not from the former Confederate States of America (a long snapper and tight end each from California.) Vast majority are Texans.

Other than one guy from Hawaii and a California kicker, Mississippi State is 100% players from the former CSA.

Kansas State and Kansas are a little different because their state is the JUCO football king, and has been since the 1920s (KJCCC featured on "Last Chance U".) There are a few other oddball programs like Notre Dame and BYU for religious reasons.

But generally once you get below...idk, top 200? players, and the top few programs, you don't have the budget to recruit nationally, so your competition is your neighbors. That's just how it works in football, with its giant roster sizes. When the various programs are competing over these 1500 or so three star players, they tend to be the ones that they can afford to have a coach on to visit, to be able to have the kid drive in for a game, or that they're able to do in more bulk visits (markets in Florida) etc.

But that's my point... he's saying the NE schools didn't recruit Cam Bright, and I'm saying - if the aforementioned logic indeed applies and it really is that much of a monkey see, monkey do thing - the schools that are closer to Alabama should have recruited him once he got an offer from Pitt.

I don't necessarily agree with recruiting being so regional anymore, though. To an extent, absolutely. Because you have a better chance of landing those players. But everybody is hitting Florida, Texas, Georgia, California, etc. hard. And they can't all go to the local schools. A school like Texas Tech probably had a predominantly Texas roster just because they can. But look how many guys from Florida there are on our team, Syracuse, etc. With social media (more exposure, recruits can stay in better contact with their loved ones back home, etc.), recruiting is as much of a national game as it's ever been.

Whether you want to call it lazy or gutless, anyone who's dealt with recruiting knows this is so common in today's game.

I don't necessarily agree with recruiting being so regional anymore, though. To an extent, absolutely. Because you have a better chance of landing those players. But everybody is hitting Florida, Texas, Georgia, California, etc. hard.
We're not hitting California or Texas hard, nor should we. If you mean "one or two of the above" then yes.

We're not hitting California or Texas hard, nor should we. If you mean "one or two of the above" then yes.

Yeah, because we're hitting Florida and Georgia hard. Through we do have Hallett, Che, and Yarnell from Texas (maybe even some other I'm forgetting). I didn't mean that literally every team is getting players from literally all three of those states, though. But I would venture to guess that at least half (or maybe 40%ish) of our team roster isn't guys who are regional.

Yeah, because we're hitting Florida and Georgia hard. Through we do have Hallett, Che, and Yarnell from Texas (maybe even some other I'm forgetting). I didn't mean that literally every team is getting players from literally all three of those states, though. But I would venture to guess that at least half (or maybe 40%ish) of our team roster isn't guys who are regional.
Yes Narduzzi has done well in Florida and Georgia now, it makes sense for our conference. Hes done a good job shifting since WPIAL talent declined even further post Wanny. I'm not in the know enough about which coaches handle which connections but we seem to consistently find good three star contributors from those states and keep guys 4-5 years.

See this is what they don't know...

The dude has at least 400+ clients.

Terry Smith isn't keeping him on speed dial because they both like to discuss politics and modern art. Terry goes through him to find talent. And, Terry isn't alone. When college coaches are advocating for your kids to get trained and get exposure through 2/10ths, I'd say his word is pretty important in those circles.
My problem is........I am a smart guy. I would want someone trained by a 6/10ths guy over a 2/10ths guy. In fact, I prefer they do the proper fraction of 3/5ths over 1/5th.

I think the folks at 2/10th's have come a long way from when they started. This offer might be nothing more than building/sustaining a bridge to that outfit. Doesn't hurt at all. Colleges will make these offers occasionally even if the kid isn't a stud. Even PSU does it. I don't know anything about the kid but this isn't exactly an act of desperation.

Good grief man..

So.......this is a semi serious question. Maybe totally serious. If Pitt wants to offer a kid under the radar, could they not just go to the kid and say we offer, it is real, but please don't speak about it until it is commitment day? To keep others off of the track?

Does this happen?

So.......this is a semi serious question. Maybe totally serious. If Pitt wants to offer a kid under the radar, could they not just go to the kid and say we offer, it is real, but please don't speak about it until it is commitment day? To keep others off of the track?

Does this happen?
I'd put it this way, if he camps at Pitt in June (or talks to the coaches), there's a chance the staff tells him that they'll look at his film again in November and if they like it, he'll get an offer. Senior year film can change a lot of minds and that's why you see decommits because suddenly all the pretty schools are taking a look. You're taking a risk someone beats you to the party but there's also a chance he's still going to be interested.

Gavin Bartholomew is a great example of a kid like this. He had nothing in the way of P5 offers until Pitt called in late November. He was so far under the radar that nobody else was even sniffing around except Buffalo. That worked out pretty well.

I mean Syracuse has watched his film a ton before.. I wonder why they just offered today??

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA
Maybe because they're scraping the barrel for recruits with LOI day coming, like they always have.

That's not an example of a good program birddogging a Pitt offer. Syracuse's class is currently #65 on 24/7. Since there are only 65 P5s I'd say that ain't so good.

Does this happen?
I doubt if anything like that has happened in today's recruiting landscape, with social media, etc. I just don't think the recruit would know how to take that request and I don't think coaches would risk souring the relationship with such a request.

Kind of similar, but I do remember Auburn, under Tommy Tubberville flipping 3 Tennessee recruits, kept it quiet and orchestrated a ruse to where Tennessee's staff thought the Vols were still getting those guys right up until the fax came through at Auburn.

Does this happen?
What…and blow the chance to do the 3-hat thing in the gym? (Assuming other lower offers)

It’s occurred more than ever these past couple weeks…for a program like us, the high school ranks are going to produce the extras and the film crew, while the portal will increasingly deliver the lead actors. So, it isn’t going to be as disturbing as it would in the past to ‘beat out’ MAC schools for high school recruits, because they are increasingly going to be the guys filling the gaps in the depth chart, as opposed to the portal doing that, as it originally did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT