ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5 ACC TV schedule

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Sorry guys, haven't done this since Covid due to staffing shortages at SMFN. But with probably the best slate of games since we joined the ACC, I figured it was time for its return.

noon - Louisville at Boston College (ACCN)
3:30 - #22 Wake Forest at #23 Florida State (ABC)
3:30 - Virginia Tech at North Carolina (ACCN)
5:00 - Wagner at Syracuse (ACCNX and ESPN+)
7:30 - #10 NC State at #5 Clemson (ABC)
7:30 - Virginia at Duke (syndicated through Fox Sports South, not televised locally)
8:00 - Georgia Tech at #24 Pitt (ACCN)

- the 2 Atlantic Division games have a feeling of semifinals. I never remember 2 big games like that on the same weekend. I'm going with Wake and Clemson. Definitely rooting hard against NC State. That's the ACC school I dislike the most.

- big game for Hafley and Jurkovec. Lose this one and there arent many more Ws left on the schedule.

- I expect the Tobacco Road schools to beat the Virginias rather easily.

- How bout only 1 ACC game at noon? That's what having a network does.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Seeing this selfishly wish we had that oddball 5PM start and swapped with Syracuse. 8PM is fine though.

Pitt is lucky to be in the Coastal this year. When do they start the new method of getting a champion? Next season?

Reactions: GMCIL
Florida State is overrated. They beat a mediocre LSU team and a mediocre Louisville team in two coin flip games. BC might be the worst team in the P5. If VT can drub you, you've got some problems. FSU is an 8-4 team this season at best.

So if there is a 5pm game on ACCN, then we can be certain Pitt game won't be on ACCN at 8pm, right? Do they have some kind of aux channel like ESPN does?

I will be at the game, but I like to record it and watch it again later in the week.

So if there is a 5pm game on ACCN, then we can be certain Pitt game won't be on ACCN at 8pm, right?

If that were the case then yes, the Pitt game almost certainly wouldn't be on the ACCN at 8:00.

Fortunately for people who want to watch the Pitt game on television, the afternoon ACCN game starts at 3:30. If that game is still going on past 8:00 something rather unusual has happened.

If that were the case then yes, the Pitt game almost certainly wouldn't be on the ACCN at 8:00.

Fortunately for people who want to watch the Pitt game on television, the afternoon ACCN game starts at 3:30. If that game is still going on past 8:00 something rather unusual has happened.
They shoulda done:

11AM - Wagner @ Syracuse
2:15 - Lou @ BC (leave Syr/Wag except in NY/NJ)
5:30 - VT @ UNC (leave Lou/BC in NC and the DMV)
8:45 - GT @ Pitt (leave VT/UNC in PA and GA)

They shoulda done:

11AM - Wagner @ Syracuse
2:15 - Lou @ BC (leave Syr/Wag except in NY/NJ)
5:30 - VT @ UNC (leave Lou/BC in NC and the DMV)
8:45 - GT @ Pitt (leave VT/UNC in PA and GA)

Nobody cares about Syracuse vs Wagner. ACCNX is fine for that game.

There's no reason to screw up the entire day's schedule to put that one extra game on ACCN.

You're obsessed with squeezing an extra game in for no reason.

Reactions: pittdan77
Not many outside of Pitt and Ga Tech care about our game this week either. All ACC eyes will be on the NC state/Clemson game

Why? MNF starts at 8:30 on a school/work night. There have been SEC West games which have started at 8:30 local time

MNF starts at 8:15. The average NFL game lasts just over three hours, so you can expect the game to be over around 11:15. The average college football game so far this season is averaging right around 3 and a half hours, and that includes games that aren't televised or are "minimally televised" (streaming, which almost certainly will have fewer, shorter commercials). That means that an 8:45 game doesn't end until 12:15 or perhaps a little later on the average.

And then what happens if you get a four hour plus extravaganza, as we've already had twice this season?

If you don't understand the problems that you are going to have attendance-wise with a game that if everything goes right isn't going to end until around 12:15 AM then you really are as dumb as you portray yourself on these boards.

MNF starts at 8:15. The average NFL game lasts just over three hours, so you can expect the game to be over around 11:15. The average college football game so far this season is averaging right around 3 and a half hours, and that includes games that aren't televised or are "minimally televised" (streaming, which almost certainly will have fewer, shorter commercials). That means that an 8:45 game doesn't end until 12:15 or perhaps a little later on the average.

And then what happens if you get a four hour plus extravaganza, as we've already had twice this season?

If you don't understand the problems that you are going to have attendance-wise with a game that if everything goes right isn't going to end until around 12:15 AM then you really are as dumb as you portray yourself on these boards.
12:15 AM on Saturday Night/Sunday morning is a billion times better than a game ending at 11:15 PM on a Monday night.

Also, attendance is meaningless for the TV networks.

So if there is a 5pm game on ACCN, then we can be certain Pitt game won't be on ACCN at 8pm, right? Do they have some kind of aux channel like ESPN does?

I will be at the game, but I like to record it and watch it again later in the week.
Yes most likely that will happen again.
But, for rewatching, note that both full games and especially truncated highlight shows of the games are typically uploaded to YouTube, often before the weekend is out (I don’t know if the ACCN does this or someone privately does it, but anytime I’ve gone looking, it’s typically there). Plus, look at your in-screen schedule guide for the ACCN, sometimes they’ll rebroadcast the game in question during the ‘wee hours’ of the following days, so you can often DVR one that originally might have gotten split across ESPN News and the ACCN when it was live .

So you are saying that if you asked the average football fan, they would prefer to attend a game that ended at 11:15 PM on a work/school night than a game that ended at 12:15 AM on a non-work school night?

I think that the average football fan has absolutely no interest what so ever in attending a game that ends at 11:15 on a Monday or at 12:15 AM on a Sunday.

If the game tomorrow started at 8:45 there would be fewer people there than will be with it starting at 8:00. And fewer than if it started at 7:00. And fewer than if it started at 3:30. And almost certainly fewer than if it started at noon.

If all you want is to have your diehards in the stadium then an 8:45 kickoff would be one way to accomplish that.

I think that the average football fan has absolutely no interest what so ever in attending a game that ends at 11:15 on a Monday or at 12:15 AM on a Sunday.

If the game tomorrow started at 8:45 there would be fewer people there than will be with it starting at 8:00. And fewer than if it started at 7:00. And fewer than if it started at 3:30. And almost certainly fewer than if it started at noon.

If all you want is to have your diehards in the stadium then an 8:45 kickoff would be one way to accomplish that.
And the networks wouldn't care. In fact, they'd probably love it if there were 10K fewer people there so more could watch on TV

And the networks wouldn't care. In fact, they'd probably love it if there were 10K fewer people there so more could watch on TV

The networks might not (although the fact is that the networks prefer a better game atmosphere for their broadcasts), the SCHOOLS do care. And you understand that the networks, especially the ACC Network, and the schools work together on these things, right?

Not to mention that any extra fans you get because people won't go to the game you lose just as many because the game ends too late and they are already asleep well before midnight.

The networks might not (although the fact is that the networks prefer a better game atmosphere for their broadcasts), the SCHOOLS do care. And you understand that the networks, especially the ACC Network, and the schools work together on these things, right?

Not to mention that any extra fans you get because people won't go to the game you lose just as many because the game ends too late and they are already asleep well before midnight.
You are greatly overestimating the kickoff time has on attendance. If weather was perfect tomorrow, this is what actual attendance would be:

noon 41K
3:30 46K
7:00 45 K
8:00 43K
8:45 40K

ADVERTISEMENT