ADVERTISEMENT

Weird thought....

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
I remember when Chryst took over and stock piled O line men and Running backs...and I had this feeling like man Pitt is going to be able to score some points running the ball in the near future. Near future hits (last year) and Biz, DoJo, & Officer let JC and company run wild.....leading to my main point I get that same feeling with HCPN that we are loading up on talent (but this time it is all over the roster not just OL/RB) and I think we are really in for some good football ahead of us...... Thoughts????

H2P

I believe in this staff and these student athletes. If we are at least 2-2 after September, it could be a great season

This is the first coaching staff we have had in decades that understands how to build a roster and understands the need to build depth at every position. Too often in the past we had coaches who recruited a surfeit of players at one spot and nothing at other positions. Additionally, this staff is very resourceful in filling their needs to fill a hole at positions where they haven't had the chance to build any depth... getting Peterman and Browne at QB, Clark and the kid from Rutgers at TE, Hendricks and Edwards at DE, and seeking 2 juco tackles for next year are all examples of their being proactive in bridging between their current roster situation and the point when home grown recruits will be ready to play. Compare this approach to that of Mumbles who refused to recruit jucos( he was lazy as hell)and Wanny who would largely ignore recruiting at certain positions, the main one being QB.

To the OP's point, that was almost five years ago. It's going to take some time yet to put Pitt back in the national conversation as a front runner in the ACC. At least another three or four seasons. Don't be surprised if there aren't a few bumps along the way.

Reactions: Parkview57
One big key to building a successful team or program is not over recruiting at any one position, which by definition means under recruiting somewhere else. You could have the greatest OL in college football, but if you are weak at several other positions, then good coaches will exploit.

To the OP's point, that was almost five years ago. It's going to take some time yet to put Pitt back in the national conversation as a front runner in the ACC. At least another three or four seasons. Don't be surprised if there aren't a few bumps along the way.

As a PITT fan, I don't think anyone would be surprised with a few bumps along the way.

Back to the topic; the staff truly seems to believe they can compete with and beat the best competition available. Wins against PSU and Clemson last year serve as a testament that not only the staff believes this, but the players do as well. I don't believe this program has seen this level of buy-in for decades. I remember players dancing and laughing on the sideline when they were down in games, rather than focusing on corrections that could be made in order to win.

With that said, I completely agree it will take time to elevate this program to a contender for ACC titles. There are areas where the staff has made some key strides in recruiting, such as the defensive secondary, but these players are still incredibly young. While PITT has shown the ability to raise their game and beat the best NCAAF has to offer, they have also shown their inconsistency against teams like Syracuse, NW, etc.

Reactions: pittdan77 and cdmg
Even weirder thought:

What is w/ the "HCPC", "HCPN" etc?
I've never seen coaches referred to this way anywhere else.

Last edited:
Narduzzi said at the ACC event last week that it really takes 5 years to build a program. This is the beginning of year 3.

He says that all the players are "his" players, but his recruits are just now beginning to see the field this year, and like all young guys, there will be a learning curve.

The upward trajectory has already starter.

This is the first coaching staff we have had in decades that understands how to build a roster and understands the need to build depth at every position. Too often in the past we had coaches who recruited a surfeit of players at one spot and nothing at other positions. Additionally, this staff is very resourceful in filling their needs to fill a hole at positions where they haven't had the chance to build any depth... getting Peterman and Browne at QB, Clark and the kid from Rutgers at TE, Hendricks and Edwards at DE, and seeking 2 juco tackles for next year are all examples of their being proactive in bridging between their current roster situation and the point when home grown recruits will be ready to play. Compare this approach to that of Mumbles who refused to recruit jucos( he was lazy as hell)and Wanny who would largely ignore recruiting at certain positions, the main one being QB.
Good post. I would also add that Narduzzi appears to do a better job of "clearing space" to recruit over players advancing up in years that will not contribute to the two deep. I expect all of us to miss on expected class sizes with Narduzzi recruiting over more and more. I don't view him as being overly aggressive on this front--but he definitely does it more so than Pitt's past head coaches. It is necessary for a rebuild and it is necessary when you're rebuilt. Part of the game, as they say.

I remember when Chryst took over and stock piled O line men and Running backs...and I had this feeling like man Pitt is going to be able to score some points running the ball in the near future. Near future hits (last year) and Biz, DoJo, & Officer let JC and company run wild.....leading to my main point I get that same feeling with HCPN that we are loading up on talent (but this time it is all over the roster not just OL/RB) and I think we are really in for some good football ahead of us...... Thoughts????

H2P
I agree that Coach Duzz is doing a great job of bringing in better athletes across the overall roster than we've had in quite a while.

What disappoints me a bit is that, other than Whitehead, the DBs have really struggled with the Narduzzi system. I look at Jazzee Stocker, for example, he looks like a stud at 6-2 and 190 but he seemed to really struggle with the coverage schemes last season. Granted he was only a RS Freshman last season, but still, he was way out of position, at least to my eye, on several occasions. And by the end of last season (and he struggled in the bowl game), Stocker would have had two years learning the system...

Just makes me wonder how long it takes to learn this defense.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Narduzzi said at the ACC event last week that it really takes 5 years to build a program. This is the beginning of year 3.

He says that all the players are "his" players, but his recruits are just now beginning to see the field this year, and like all young guys, there will be a learning curve.

The upward trajectory has already starter.

TBH, it sounds like he's trying to cover his a** in case things don't go very well this year - then all he will hear is how he won with Chryst's recruits.

I agree that Coach Duzz is doing a great job of bringing in better athletes across the overall roster than we've had in quite a while.

What disappoints me a bit is that, other than Whitehead, the DBs have really struggled with the Narduzzi system. I look at Jazzee Stocker, for example, he looks like a stud at 6-2 and 190 but he seemed to really struggle with the coverage schemes last season. Granted he was only a RS Freshman last season, but still, he was way out of position, at least to my eye, on several occasions. And by the end of last season (and he struggled in the bowl game), Stocker would have had two years learning the system...

Just makes me wonder how long it takes to learn this defense.

Go Pitt.
Indeed. Understandable that a coach has faith in his system ... but this hasn't just been a "struggling" secondary. It's been flat out horrible, possibly among the worst Pitt's ever fielded, and that includes those atrocious 95 and 96 teams.

How he could live through that Syracuse game without bending his philosophy even a BIT to adjust to the strengths of the crew he has ... just gotta shake the head...it is reminiscent of Grahams stubbornness with Tino.

Reactions: Schaef60
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT