ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to Pitt Brandon Hodges

Excellent News - A guy that can step in and play right away, especially if Bookser is out for a period of time.

I read he had some academic issues that kept him out in the spring and as a result got passed on depth chart. Same article though said he got his academics in order to grad transfer. Either way, seems to be a nice addition and someone who can start right away.

I would assume this is bad news for Bookser.

fascinating how a fella who has had a history of academic issues is now a proud member of a Pitt graduate school...
More than once. He had to go to JC (Last Chance U school, actually) before he got to Texas, too.

These are the kind of things that dispel some of the folk lore of us having higher standards, but who cares? If this kid can help out right away on the OL, it is a great add.

fascinating how a fella who has had a history of academic issues is now a proud member of a Pitt graduate school...
There's a top and bottom for everything and he may have moved the bottom to a new level but he's here for one year to play football.
Now we need a similar player to replace Taleni and we're just down one going into fall practice.

he received his degree from the University of Texas....earned is somewhat subjective imo.
Man, you might just jump off the UPMC Tower if Bookser ALSO ends up eligible and playing.

I suppose you'll burn your degree today, since the integrity of our Ivy-esque academy is being so badly impugned by these grotesque compromises! :D

Welcome aboard Mr. Hodges! More properly, Bachelor Of Science Hodges! We appreciate your imminent enrollment in our middling university, considering you're coming from yet another school that's ranked better than ours despite its heathen obsession with sports!

Coach Duzz does an excellent job of filling needs with transfers. This is another case - we really need some depth at OT. Does Jones-Smith still have the quickness to play at OT? And Bookser's situation is unknown.

Hodges gives Pitt some options. Bookser could stay at guard, or even perhaps play center (once he's back from whatever number of games he's suspended for...).
Dintino might take some time to settle in at center.

Hats off to Coach Duzz and the staff. Just wish we would have gotten that experienced linebacker from Mich State who was transferring. Wonder where he ended up???

Go Pitt.

Pitt needed to add experienced depth to the OL. Not sure this means he's guaranteed to start but I'm sure he'll get that chance.

I also don't think Ford's situation had anything to do with this. I'll be surprised if he's not clear for camp.
Even if he doesn't start, he gives us a 6th OL who can play T or G. That is really big. The chances we get through the season without a suspension are practically 0 and injury isn't much higher. Great pickup, especially this late.

Reactions: pittdan77 and pbrad
Wow just caught this. This could really be a huge moment in this year having someone this versatile come in

I read he had some academic issues that kept him out in the spring and as a result got passed on depth chart. Same article though said he got his academics in order to grad transfer. Either way, seems to be a nice addition and someone who can start right away.

I would assume this is bad news for Bookser.

Weighing in as a Texas fan. The "academics" was the public story for why he was held out of spring. We've never heard if that was the "real" story or not. I did find it odd that a guy who supposedly needed to be held out of spring ball to "get his academics in order" would then go on to graduate after one summer session. Give our current major question mark at RT, I would just as soon see Hodges in a Texas uni and not a Pitt one. My guess is once Watson was hired at Pitt, that Hodges put the wheels in motion to finish up and become a grad transfer. Because, IMO, our RT situation is way to much up in the air for the staff to simply tell a starting RT that he didn't fit into their plans for '17. I don't know Pitt's RT situation, but Hodges was at least adequate there for us last season. And honestly, that's not his natural position. Hope he does well for you guys.

Reactions: NNFAN
Weighing in as a Texas fan. The "academics" was the public story for why he was held out of spring. We've never heard if that was the "real" story or not. I did find it odd that a guy who supposedly needed to be held out of spring ball to "get his academics in order" would then go on to graduate after one summer session. Give our current major question mark at RT, I would just as soon see Hodges in a Texas uni and not a Pitt one. My guess is once Watson was hired at Pitt, that Hodges put the wheels in motion to finish up and become a grad transfer. Because, IMO, our RT situation is way to much up in the air for the staff to simply tell a starting RT that he didn't fit into their plans for '17. I don't know Pitt's RT situation, but Hodges was at least adequate there for us last season. And honestly, that's not his natural position. Hope he does well for you guys.
Appreciate your thoughts. Make sure you beat WV.

Does make you wonder, doesn't it? It sounds like we're no better than anyone else when it comes to making special allowances for athletes we want, as long as they get to play. I hope he can read and write.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT