ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to Pitt TE Matt Alaimo!!

Man, another super impressive recruit. A slew of offers, but another guy with the offers from Harvard, Yale and Princeton... just insane. Not only is Narduzzi recruiting great players, but obviously he is looking for the smart players as well.

Remember the Alaimo!

(someone had to do it...)

Kid looks huge on the video. Looks kind of Scott Orndoff-ish to me.

Welcome to Pitt, Matt.

Go Pitt.

Remember the Alaimo!

(someone had to do it...)

Kid looks huge on the video. Looks kind of Scott Orndoff-ish to me.

Welcome to Pitt, Matt.

Go Pitt.

Is he going to play baseball at Pitt too? Suppose to be real good at that too.

i doubt he will play both football and baseball.

If he doesn't play baseball, it won't be because he's not allowed.

"Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi said he has fielded only one request for permission to play another sport. Walk-on punter Nick Goldsmith, an all-state infielder in Illinois, wanted to try baseball.

Narduzzi said he told Goldsmith, “Go see if you can help Joe (Jordano, baseball coach).”

http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/12103353-74/two-sport-athletes-were-once-more-common-at-pitt

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Great Pick up. Love the offer sheet!! A lot of these guys we are picking up are rated as very high 3's. so for rivals, a 5.7 rating. 4 star is a 5.8 rating. To me, not much difference (for those of you who love the Stars). The offer sheet for this guy speaks for itself.
Welcome aboard!

Great Pick up. Love the offer sheet!! A lot of these guys we are picking up are rated as very high 3's. so for rivals, a 5.7 rating. 4 star is a 5.8 rating. To me, not much difference (for those of you who love the Stars). The offer sheet for this guy speaks for itself.
Welcome aboard!

That's a very good point actually

"We are a little behind on this one, but Pitt landed a commitment from a three-star tight end yesterday. Matt Alaimo from St. Joseph’s Regional High School in Montvale, New Jersey made the call to become a Panther yesterday afternoon.

Matt Alaimo is a 6’5” 235 pound tight end that hails from The Garden State. He is a consensus three-star recruit by all four major recruiting websites. ESPN calls Alaimo the 17th best tight end recruit in the country and Rivals grades him as the 19 rated player in the state of New Jersey. He had additional offers from the likes of Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, West Virginia, and Arizona State.

If St. Joseph’s Regional High School sounds familiar, that’s because Pitt’s current quarterback recruit, Nick Patti, is from the same school. The Pitt-bound duo led the Green Knights to a 9-2 record last season, and they claimed the New Jersey non-Public Group III title along the way. Alaimo hauled in a team-high 25 receptions for 371 yards last season.

If you notice in Alimo’s commitment tweet, he also announced he will also be playing baseball for the Panthers. As a first basemen for his high school team this season, Alaimo hit for a .435 average and led his team in RBI’s and doubles as well. Looks like he should be helpful for the baseball program and coach Joe Jordano.

Alaimo becomes Pitt’s tenth commitment for the class of 2018. He is also the sixth recruit to join the class this month. With Pitt figuring to have a small class, things may slow down a bit in the coming weeks. There could be some players to watch in the next day or two, but beyond that things will go quiet in July as the dead period starts up and the coaches usually take some down time before Fall camp and the season."

https://www.cardiachill.com/2017/6/...-commits-to-pitt-football-recruiting-narduzzi

Is he going to play baseball at Pitt too? Suppose to be real good at that too.
Not sure why Narduzzi would allow baseball.

To be a top P5 football athlete it takes all year to work on whats important.
Getting Bigger, Stronger, Bulking up is key in football and not so much for baseball.

Strenght programs for the two sports are very different.

Our HS ( where our kids went) has one of the top wrestling programs in PA and the country. Even at that level kids are discouraged from playing even two sports if they want to be a nationally ranked HS wrestler.

As I said before even in HS it takes full dedication to be at the top level and I would think this applies at the U level too!

Getting Bigger, Stronger, Bulking up is key in football and not so much for baseball.

Our HS ( where our kids went) has one of the top wrestling programs in PA and the country. Even at that level kids are discouraged from playing even two sports if they want to be a nationally ranked HS wrestler.

As I said before even in HS it takes full dedication to be at the top level and I would think this applies at the U level too!
tell him its ok, get him to sign then when he is a freshman, communicate the importance of spring ball, weightlifting etc and 9 out of 10 times, the kid will quit it on his own. No reason to fight this battle until you have to.. kind of like telling guys like conredge Collins he'll be tailback or Darrell Strong that he will absolutely get a shot at playing QB. first practice, stick to your word, second practice, move him..

Have you seen Josh Bell lately?

Go Pitt.

The trend to making kids pick a sport at an early age is a shame and generally counter productive. Most of the NFL draft picks were multi-sport athletes in high school, which says a lot.

The trend to making kids pick a sport at an early age is a shame and generally counter productive. Most of the NFL draft picks were multi-sport athletes in high school, which says a lot.

Well, I kinda disagree. Its not really apples to apples since it wasnt a trend so to speak. But I am in my 40s and my high school baseball coach didnt MAKE ME quit football, basketball and soccer, but he met with my parents and I and suggested it because I felt I can get a baseball scholarship, which I did. I dont think if you are fringe type kid that wants to get a scholarship that splitting time over a bunch of sports is the way to go. Just like if you want to be a great physicist you probably shouldnt split your studies over 7 or 8 other fields

I don't seem a harm in letting him play both. Different sports condition different parts of the body making the person an overall better athlete. Chances are the love for 1 or the other will take over and he will pick one. However, if he doesn't chose, as long as he can handle it, more power to him.

tell him its ok, get him to sign then when he is a freshman, communicate the importance of spring ball, weightlifting etc and 9 out of 10 times, the kid will quit it on his own. No reason to fight this battle until you have to.. kind of like telling guys like conredge Collins he'll be tailback or Darrell Strong that he will absolutely get a shot at playing QB. first practice, stick to your word, second practice, move him..
Tsk. It's like you regard these amateur sports as some kind of multi billion dollar business or something.

some sports works, some don't. playing baseball does nothing for development for any other sport.. I like to see big men, linemen play hoops, helps big time with coordination and footwork.. That Huoy dude from USC wasnt' a terrible hoops player, not exactly dominant but looked fluid out there on the court in high school, I think that will translate...

I love idea of football players wrestling but that may be just because of mcKillop.. both of these sports are tough to play though, their seasons kind of over lap and wrestlers are a strange breed to begin with..

Who is to say you that you wouldn't have been a better baseball player by playing other sports as well? That's all I'm saying and what the results generally seem to indicate.

Well, I kinda disagree. Its not really apples to apples since it wasnt a trend so to speak. But I am in my 40s and my high school baseball coach didnt MAKE ME quit football, basketball and soccer, but he met with my parents and I and suggested it because I felt I can get a baseball scholarship, which I did. I dont think if you are fringe type kid that wants to get a scholarship that splitting time over a bunch of sports is the way to go. Just like if you want to be a great physicist you probably shouldnt split your studies over 7 or 8 other fields

im curious what kind of instructional work, practice, development you learned in high school in the off season, that helped you obtain a scholarship? And do you believe without this off season development, you'd be a lesser baseball player?

Reactions: President Stache
im curious what kind of instructional work, practice, development you learned in high school in the off season, that helped you obtain a scholarship? And do you believe without this off season development, you'd be a lesser baseball player?

Yeah, absolutely... I had no training at all until I went year round with my coach and he brought in a former MLB manager to train all of us that stuck on the off season training. I learned better mechanics in all aspects, learned better training techniques and everything. Plus I pitched, and football weight training, although terrific at building mass, isnt the best for a pitchers arm.

Now, I admit. this was before youtube. I imagine someone could really benefit nowadays just from studying for hours on youtube and seeing the main themes.

Who is to say you that you wouldn't have been a better baseball player by playing other sports as well? That's all I'm saying and what the results generally seem to indicate.

I dont think so... I think the stand out athletes you hear about would be stand out athletes no matter what.

I coach baseball now, and the polish of kids that play in travel leagues, and take individualized training is just far far better than the casual player that plays other sports. They know what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. I would assume the same would be true for football, soccer, basketball, and any other sport. Again, if you are an absolute stud, elite player, these things are hidden better because you make up that step, or can throw harder, or whatever. But, just saying, the polished kids, even with less physical talent, are better players overall.

Well, I both wrestled and played golf in high school. How about that combination?
that's a new one.. I kind of wish I got into volleyball in high school, that would have been fun. im not tall nor can i jump so any sort of collegiate career would have been out but I think I would have had the skills to compete at the high school level..

my little girl is 8, im pushing lacrosse on her, same for my son when he gets older. that looks like a fun-ass sport to play.

Sounds like a great pick up.

I know TMac threw something like 50 percent of his passes to the TE so I think we are loading him up for the future

that's a new one.. I kind of wish I got into volleyball in high school, that would have been fun. im not tall nor can i jump so any sort of collegiate career would have been out but I think I would have had the skills to compete at the high school level..

my little girl is 8, im pushing lacrosse on her, same for my son when he gets older. that looks like a fun-ass sport to play.
Lacrosse is a great sport. You know, my wrestling buddies thought it was cool I was on the Golf Team. But, my teammates on the Golf Team thought i was CRAZY for being on the wrestling team. Go Figure.

Lacrosse is a great sport. You know, my wrestling buddies thought it was cool I was on the Golf Team. But, my teammates on the Golf Team thought i was CRAZY for being on the wrestling team. Go Figure.
always felt bad for wrestlers in high school. I was in high school before they created the rules that a kid cant drop a certain amount of weight so the wrestlers in my school would spend the day or two before a match, not eating and spitting into a cup to make weight.. Probably a good idea that governing bodies stopped that nonsense so teenage boys wouldn't try and lose 7 pounds in a day to compete in a match..

Reactions: Pantherguy4
Sounds like a great pick up.

I know TMac threw something like 50 percent of his passes to the TE so I think we are loading him up for the future
The guy running 4th team right now? I highly doubt they are shaping the roster around him.

ADVERTISEMENT