ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to Wrexham

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Has anyone watched this? I'm not a huge fan of sports documentaries so I reluctantly decided to watch it and it was honestly one of the best things I've watched in a long time. I'm sure you all know the story by now but they did an unbelievable, first-rate job of storytelling. A million times better than Sunderland Till I Die, which I gave up after the 5th episode or so.

BTW, Wrexham is the lowest team left in the FA Cup. They play Coventry City from the Championship in the Round of 32 on Saturday. It would be incredible to see them play a Big 6 club in the Round of 16.

Reactions: Pittnerski
BTW, Wrexham is the lowest team left in the FA Cup. They play Coventry City from the Championship in the Round of 32 on Saturday. It would be incredible to see them play a Big 6 club in the Round of 16.
Wow. I did not realize that. That’s some Ted Lasso shit.

Did you watch the show?
No I haven’t. I still haven’t made it through Tottenham All or Nothing. And that was 2-3 years ago. I appreciate your recommendation though. Hopefully I’ll get to it at some point.

I have and thoroughly enjoyed to the point where I have been following all of their matches this season. Their neck and neck right now with Notts county to get the single promotion back up to league 2.

Wow. I did not realize that. That’s some Ted Lasso shit.

Well first of all, it's not the round of 32, it's the round of 64. This is the round that the Premier League teams enter the competition. The big game of the round would probably be Sundays matchup that you surely know about, Chelsea at Man City.

Secondly, you know that in these competitions it's frequently the luck of the draw when a lower level team advances. In their last round, Wrexham beat Farnborough FC. Now I know what you are thinking right now, Farnborough FC, who in the heck are they? Well, they are a team from the division one step down from Wrexham. In their first game they beat Oldham Athletic, who is in the same division as Wrexham but is currently in 21st place.

As you know, when these minnows advance in a tournament like the FA Cup it's usually not because he minnow has beaten a bunch of top level teams, it's almost always because the minnows beat a couple other minnows.

Well first of all, it's not the round of 32, it's the round of 64. This is the round that the Premier League teams enter the competition. The big game of the round would probably be Sundays matchup that you surely know about, Chelsea at Man City.

Secondly, you know that in these competitions it's frequently the luck of the draw when a lower level team advances. In their last round, Wrexham beat Farnborough FC. Now I know what you are thinking right now, Farnborough FC, who in the heck are they? Well, they are a team from the division one step down from Wrexham. In their first game they beat Oldham Athletic, who is in the same division as Wrexham but is currently in 21st place.

As you know, when these minnows advance in a tournament like the FA Cup it's usually not because he minnow has beaten a bunch of top level teams, it's almost always because the minnows beat a couple other minnows.
No I realize that. My team drew at Man City in this round, just as they drew at Man City in the League Cup. Talk about bad luck.

There is still talk whether Wrexham even fields their top players for the Coventry game. They are also still in the FA Trophy and have a game coming up. that one will likely rest many starters. At this point the FA cup and trophy are nice diversions but their focus is on winning the league for promotion.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

You are right that the play Coventry but there are two other National League teams still in the FA Cup as well. Chesterfield and Boreham Wood. Boreham Wood is more surprising being only 8-8-7 in league play.

Are there any Premier League clubs similar to Wrexham, being a small-town club. Most seem to either be super clubs, small clubs in big cities (Fulham), or clubs from medium-sized cities (Leeds, Leicester)

Brentford and particularly Bournemouth are good examples of small clubs if run right can make it to the premier league.

At best they are two years from League 1 so a long hill to climb

Brentford and particularly Bournemouth are good examples of small clubs if run right can make it to the premier league.

At best they are two years from League 1 so a long hill to climb

Brentford is a small club but in London.

Bournemouth as 183K people. Wrexham has 61K. About the size of Lebo and Upper St. Clair combined. I was wondering if there were any true small-town clubs in the EPL this year or in prior years?

Bournemouth as 183K people. Wrexham has 61K. About the size of Lebo and Upper St. Clair combined. I was wondering if there were any true small-town clubs in the EPL this year or in prior years?
Burnley is a city of just over 70,000. It isn't far from Manchester though. But really nothing in Britain is far from a major city.

Yeah but Brentford is a good example. There are so many clubs in London that they only have a very small piece of the pie. In west London alone, they are surrounded by Chelsea, and Fulham. They kind of are the club most similar to AFC Richmond in Ted Lasso, and actually pretty close in proximity to Richmond on the Thames.

The club that comes to mind for me is Villarreal in Spain. Such an incredibly run club, and recently won Europa League. Population is 50K.

Yeah but Brentford is a good example. There are so many clubs in London that they only have a very small piece of the pie. In west London alone, they are surrounded by Chelsea, and Fulham. They kind of are the club most similar to AFC Richmond in Ted Lasso, and actually pretty close in proximity to Richmond on the Thames.

The club that comes to mind for me is Villarreal in Spain. Such an incredibly run club, and recently won Europa League. Population is 50K.

I get what you are saying about Brentford but you cant compare a London club to a small town club. London is a massive city with so many clubs, there arent (I dont think) any neighborhoods where everyone lives and dies with Brentford football. In Wrexham, it seems the team is the town. That's what I'm talking about. Villarreal is a better example. Didnt realize they were so small.

I have and thoroughly enjoyed to the point where I have been following all of their matches this season. Their neck and neck right now with Notts county to get the single promotion back up to league 2.
Notts County was relegated out of the English football league for the 1st time in their 157 year existence in 2019. Fairly remarkable.

Burnley is a city of just over 70,000. It isn't far from Manchester though. But really nothing in Britain is far from a major city.
Watford is another smaller city, 96K.
West Bromwich, 78K

Just from tolling around on Wikipedia those are the 2 and Burnley 3 of the below 100K populations.

I get what you are saying about Brentford but you cant compare a London club to a small town club. London is a massive city with so many clubs, there arent (I dont think) any neighborhoods where everyone lives and dies with Brentford football. In Wrexham, it seems the team is the town. That's what I'm talking about. Villarreal is a better example. Didnt realize they were so small.
Not so sure about that. There really isn't much around Brentford and I can guarantee if a Fulham fan goes walking around there it won't be pleasant.

I also would venture a guess the same can be said for Millwall. That whole Green Street Elite movie, Wet Ham and Millwall, while hollywood, is not far from the truth. Alot of those cats are tribal and violent about outsiders.

Watford is another smaller city, 96K.
West Bromwich, 78K

Just from tolling around on Wikipedia those are the 2 and Burnley 3 of the below 100K populations.

West Bromwich is 6 miles from Birmingham, a city of 1.1 million. So it would be like calling Mount Lebanon a small-town club.

Watford is 16 miles from Wembley. Its basically in London so not sure that counts.

West Bromwich is 6 miles from Birmingham, a city of 1.1 million. So it would be like calling Mount Lebanon a small-town club.

Watford is 16 miles from Wembley. Its basically in London so not sure that counts.
Pretty sure if you use that type of prerequisite, you’re gonna have a tough time. Every club in England seems like it’s close to a major city like London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, New Castle, etc.

Take a team like Barnsley who was close to promotion recently. Tiny club, but close to Sheffield and Manchester. And everyone there is a fan of Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, or United or City.

Pretty sure if you use that type of prerequisite, you’re gonna have a tough time. Every club in England seems like it’s close to a major city like London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, New Castle, etc.

Take a team like Barnsley who was close to promotion recently. Tiny club, but close to Sheffield and Manchester. And everyone there is a fan of Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, or United or City.
He loves to move the goalposts to always put himself in the right.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
almost blew a 4-1 second half lead but held on to beat Coventry City 4-3 today in the FA cup. Great win against a team three leagues higher on the road.

He loves to move the goalposts to always put himself in the right.

I dont know what you guys are complaining about. I didnt make a proclamation about Wrexham's club profile. I literally asked a question. And while some similar clubs were named, I didn't think any of those were terribly close to Wrexham's profile. That's my opinion. It doesn't mean yours are wrong.

Also, total demolition by Wrexham today. I turned it off when it was 4-1. Totally outclass Conventry from the Championship. On to the Round of 32. Would love to see them draw a blue blood.

I dont know what you guys are complaining about. I didnt make a proclamation about Wrexham's club profile. I literally asked a question. And while some similar clubs were named, I didn't think any of those were terribly close to Wrexham's profile. That's my opinion. It doesn't mean yours are wrong.

Also, total demolition by Wrexham today. I turned it off when it was 4-1. Totally outclass Conventry from the Championship. On to the Round of 32. Would love to see them draw a blue blood.
The draw is before the 11:30 AM Chelsea/Man City game in the AM. So around 11am.

Just drew Sheffield United at the racecourse. Glad it’s home but would have like a premier league foe

Just drew Sheffield United at the racecourse. Glad it’s home but would have like a premier league foe

And the people running Wrexham would rather have the opposite, if they had gotten drawn with a Premier League team they would have absolutely wanted that game on the road. Because it would have made them a ton of money.

Sheffield is 2nd in the Championship 9 points clear of 3rd so they'll probably be in the Premier League next year so pretty cool that Wrexham gets to play them. I'm glad its at the Racecourse because I'd think they have a realistic chance to go through to the Round of 16.

Reactions: USN_Panther
ADVERTISEMENT