ADVERTISEMENT

Well, we did get a DT yesterday

Oct 25, 2021
Not sure how good he is. But Anthony Johnson (WPIAL guy - Jeannette 2018) committed to Pitt.

Originally committed to Bowling Green and played there for a season.

Then transferred to Youngstown State for three seasons.

Then entered the portal in December and committed to Illinois.

Then entered the portal in April and committed to Mississippi State.

Then decommitted from Mississippi State and committed to Pitt.

Step aside, Carmen San Diego; where in the world where Anthony Johnson play football this season? Could be Pitt!

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The NIL and transfer portal are a toxic combination. Transferring 3 times in the span of 5 months is just looney toons and the sooner college football fixes it the better.

Took him awhile to get on the field at YSU and production was just ok. He will probably see action given the depth at the position. Probably the best we can hope for is average play?

The NIL and transfer portal are a toxic combination. Transferring 3 times in the span of 5 months is just looney toons and the sooner college football fixes it the better.

Took him awhile to get on the field at YSU and production was just ok. He will probably see action given the depth at the position. Probably the best we can hope for is average play?

That feels like it would be about the ceiling, yeah. But honestly, average would be great right now. It was looking like we were a few DL injuries away from having to start getting goofy and moving guys out of position, etc. These last two DL pickups are at least something, I guess. Kind of feels like the Rori Blair, Dwayne Hendrix, Shane Roy, young Amir Watts, etc. days.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Not sure how good he is. But Anthony Johnson (WPIAL guy - Jeannette 2018) committed to Pitt.

Step aside, Carmen San Diego; where in the world where Anthony Johnson play football this season? Could be Pitt!

I was going to make a post about this guy a few weeks ago asking whatever happened to him. Isnt this the guy who was played on LeBron's AAU team and was thought to be a big-time basketball prospect, went to Allderdice or some city school and was kicked out? Cant remember if this was the same guy.

Speaking of Allderdice, whatever happened to those 2 twins.

I was going to make a post about this guy a few weeks ago asking whatever happened to him. Isnt this the guy who was played on LeBron's AAU team and was thought to be a big-time basketball prospect, went to Allderdice or some city school and was kicked out? Cant remember if this was the same guy.

Speaking of Allderdice, whatever happened to those 2 twins.

The Jackson twins? Weren't they from like 2016? They have to be old men by now. Probably own a hobby shop in Millvalle and work out at the JCC or something.

Would have been pretty ballsy for him to put a school that didn't offer him in his top 7.

Gompers, who stands at 6-foot-5, 215-pounds, can line up at outside linebacker, safety, tight end and wide receiver. After being sidelined with a broken collarbone this past fall, Gompers returned for the postseason and made 16 tackles and recorded a fumble recovery in the Class 6A Championship.

A healthy senior season could ramp up an already enticing recruitment with Gompers holding an offer sheet that includes the aforementioned Panthers, Penn State, West Virginia, Duke and Rutgers, along with Maryland, Michigan State, Indiana, Cincinnati and others.

Yea, aint no way we are ever beating PSU for a WPIAL kid again

I believe it's been three full cycles without doing so. I wonder if that is a record. Actually, I don't think we did in '18, '19, or '20 either, though I want to say Blake Zubovic's profile at least listed a PSU offer, plus the City League (Hayes) is basically the same thing.

I believe it's been three full cycles without doing so. I wonder if that is a record. Actually, I don't think we did in '18, '19, or '20 either, though I want to say Blake Zubovic's profile at least listed a PSU offer, plus the City League (Hayes) is basically the same thing.

Narduzzi has to be something like 0 for the last 20 vs PSU in the WPIAL. Now, he has an excuse with NIL but that's only recent. Pound for pound, he is the worst local recruiter in Pitt history.

Narduzzi has to be something like 0 for the last 20 vs PSU in the WPIAL. Now, he has an excuse with NIL but that's only recent. Pound for pound, he is the worst local recruiter in Pitt history.

Yeah, I would say he is. I fully concede that the last two "big time" WPIAL classes (2017 and 2021) turned out to be anything but. So I guess he's lucked out - or at least didn't entirely miss out - in a way. But it's still tough to deny that he tried to land those players but didn't.

Gompers, who stands at 6-foot-5, 215-pounds, can line up at outside linebacker, safety, tight end and wide receiver. After being sidelined with a broken collarbone this past fall, Gompers returned for the postseason and made 16 tackles and recorded a fumble recovery in the Class 6A Championship.

A healthy senior season could ramp up an already enticing recruitment with Gompers holding an offer sheet that includes the aforementioned Panthers, Penn State, West Virginia, Duke and Rutgers, along with Maryland, Michigan State, Indiana, Cincinnati and others.
Don't care what this says. The board trolls Wolf and Badby say there was no redeemable offer.

What's the world coming to when a kid who had 10 solo tackles at YSU last year is jumping from B10 to SEC to ACC schools and still had schools from every conference going after him.

College football has gone completely insane.

What's the world coming to when a kid who had 10 solo tackles at YSU last year is jumping from B10 to SEC to ACC schools and still had schools from every conference going after him.

I think there was definitely some "hottest girl left in the bar" stuff going on with the Spring transfers this year. Makes me wonder if kids will pick up on that and try to auction themselves off in that April window next year.

You don’t really see this across all position groups.
It’s largely the trenches that you see teams desperate for anything with a pulse.
There just isn’t much in the portal for trenches. And if you’re a 3* level team, you’re scared to go too young because what young talent you do have is usually too raw to make up for the lack of college weight program of a FR and SO.
So in the trenches you get a feeding frenzy for guys that have at least a college football body. Talent or ability becomes less important.

Context, man.

Johnny Majors II brought in way too many WPIAL stiffs who had no business being here.

Narduzzi only offers (and whiffs) on solid players, so there is that.......
In fairness to Dooz he knows he's not missing out on much in the WPIAL, and he has de-emphasized recruiting it.

Most of these backyard recruiting losses are symbolic and bad optics, but they don't mean a lot to the end results on the field. But the overall lack of team talent does.

I think everyone can agree that Dooz's overall recruiting game is sorely lacking. Now with the recruiting and personnel game having changed, and continuing to change so radically and so suddenly, that isn't likely to improve. It's gonna get worse for a whole bunch of mid-level P5 programs, Pitt is one of them.

In fairness to Dooz he knows he's not missing out on much in the WPIAL, and he has de-emphasized recruiting it.

Most of these backyard recruiting losses are symbolic and bad optics, but they don't mean a lot to the end results on the field. But the overall lack of team talent does.

I think everyone can agree that Dooz's overall recruiting game is sorely lacking. Now with the recruiting and personnel game having changed, and continuing to change so radically and so suddenly, that isn't likely to improve. It's gonna get worse for a whole bunch of mid-level P5 programs, Pitt is one of them.

I keep reading that he's so great at identifying diamonds in the rough, but that's going to be bound to happen when 90% of your recruits are from the rough. For every Patrick Jones, there is a Jo Jo Belgrave, Sam Williams, Noah Palmer, Kamar Mimes, etc.

Obviously the offense has been the much bigger problem, though. Izzy, Addison, and Pickett isn't a very long list of explosive playmakers. I get that other guys have been decent to good, but you can say that about every P4 team. And we've had like 3 o-linemen drafted that Narduzzi recruited (or offered as a walk-on) who I can think of. Simply not enough for a guy who has coached 9 seasons. Hell, he inherited 3 draft picks on the o-line. It has taken 9 seasons to match that?!

We need to start beating schools like UNC, Michigan State, etc. out for more recruits, as opposed to Boston College, Purdue, etc.

Last edited:
You're too young. 69-72??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT