ADVERTISEMENT

What’s important to recruits

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
If you were a top D1 prospect in either bb or Fb with professional aspirations what factors are the most important in making your decision ? I’m assuming no booster extras !
My list would be as follows
1)coach ..do I believe he’s the best mentor for me
2) does the program get players to the next level
3) is it a winning program with a chance at a national championship
4) game day experience
5) location
6) faculties
7) education

If I was a decent prospect without any great hopes to get to the next level then location (3) and education (2) move up on my list

Reactions: Drew1208
If you were a top D1 prospect in either bb or Fb with professional aspirations what factors are the most important in making your decision ? I’m assuming no booster extras !
My list would be as follows
1)coach ..do I believe he’s the best mentor for me
2) does the program get players to the next level
3) is it a winning program with a chance at a national championship
4) game day experience
5) location
6) faculties
7) education

If I was a decent prospect without any great hopes to get to the next level then location (3) and education (2) move up on my list
1 - next level
2 - coach
3- facilities/resources
4. Gameday experience
5. Location

If I’m good enough I’m attracting other players to play with me or I’m thinking we’re gonna win because of me so I’m not worried about that. Education aspect is overrated, imo. Most kids aren’t doing their own work at major universities anyways. That’s why resources are important.

The facilities thing only stick out if they have SPECIAL facilities or if they’re really shitty, like Pitt’s was under Jamie’s. But you want to have somewhere you’re gonna be comfortable all the time.

1. Head coach (getting to the next level falls under here)
2. Style of play
3. Assistant coaches
4. Facilities
5. Winning
6. Conference affiliation
7. Campus
8. Education

Last edited:
Winning and big crowds ( in football, anyway)

The schools that have these two things also put kids in the NFL.

If you have these, nothing else matters.

Reactions: bubba31
It really depends on the kid.

For most top 100 kids, it’s selling the NBA dream. “If you come to my school like NBA Player X did, you can be in the NBA within 1-2 years.” Every High Major coach in the country has that pitch in their pocket and, if you can back it up, it is the most important one you have.

Beyond that, it’s really dependent on the kid you’re dealing with. Some want to play close to home, or at least have some games close to home, so location is a factor. We laugh about academics, but some kids do realize that this is a gift so if you’re at a high level academic school, that’s a big plus. Facilities matter, as they are an indication of how serious your program is. As was mentioned in another thread, Capel’s biggest contribution thus far may be upgrading our amenities. No one has putt putt courses or the craziness you see in football, but being able to show off a pro-level practice facility (with 24 hour access) is big time compared to kids having to use the rec courts or work around events in your arena.

Reactions: tjb
IMO
First and foremost, you should be dialed in on the roster and your opportunity/ability to get on the court.
Second, does the coach/program have a proven ability to get you to the next level.

Heard an interview with ex-UNLV coach Dave Rice and his response to this question was:

1) Coaches
2) Showcase NBA potential
3) Style of play
4) Facilities
5) Uniform design

Heard an interview with ex-UNLV coach Dave Rice and his response to this question was:

1) Coaches
3) Style of play
4) Facilities
5) Uniform design
So was Dave Rice being completely serious or half joking with #5 in the list.

First 3 in the list sound legit.

I can’t see how facilities sway a recruit’s decision that much given that they don’t differ that much in quality among the big major programs. And then there are a number of other schools with sub-par facilities that do well nonetheless because of the other more important factors.

For football recruits, its completely different. This is what I'd say:

1. Winning/Program prestige
2. Gameday atmosphere
3. The assistant coach who is recruiting them and/or position coach
4. Head Coach
5. Conference affiliation
6. Facilities
7. Campus
8. Education

For football recruits, its completely different. This is what I'd say:

1. Winning/Program prestige
2. Gameday atmosphere
3. The assistant coach who is recruiting them and/or position coach
4. Head Coach
5. Conference affiliation
6. Facilities
7. Campus
8. Education
I'd switch your #3 and #4 if you're talking about football. Especially at the high level schools, most blue chip recruits understand that their position coach might get hired to be a coordinator or a head coach somewhere else at any given time. As long as the head coach is still there, the kid's usually still on board. Kids aren't committing to Clemson or Alabama because of the cornerbacks coach; they're going there because of Dabo and Saban.

I actually think the assistant coach is more important in basketball recruiting. Especially if the assistant is the one with the local connection or the local relationship - Andre Curbelo isn't going to Illinois if Antigua gets another job, for example. More personally, I'm really not sure if a few of those high-profile one-and-dones go to Duke over one of their other options without Capel.

1) Coaches
3) Style of play
4) Facilities
5) Uniform design

JIGers will disagree with 3)

So was Dave Rice being completely serious or half joking with #5 in the list.

First 3 in the list sound legit.

I can’t see how facilities sway a recruit’s decision that much given that they don’t differ that much in quality among the big major programs. And then there are a number of other schools with sub-par facilities that do well nonetheless because of the other more important factors.

He was 100% serious about the uniforms, says kids these days all ask about that.

JIGers will disagree with 3)

They’d be wrong. When you listen to some of these guys talk about their recruitment a lot of them mention it as one of the major factors in their decision on where to play. Not the only factor, but an important one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT