ADVERTISEMENT

What Are The Chances?

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Both the mens and womens soccer teams are in the Sweet Sixteen — and both play the #1 seed next.

The women play FSU in about 1 hour and the men play Kentucky in a few days.

I like the Mens chances better. I don’t think Kentucky was deserving of the top seed. The SEC doesn’t play mens soccer so Kentucky played in the Sun Belt conference this year. To me that makes their record suspect. Not exactly an ACC level of competition. Hopefully, a few more days will help Jacquesson recover. He was a shell of his old self against Akron.

Technically, I believe Alabama is the #1 overall seed among the women. But FSU is the defending champions and playing in the ACC, which has 6 teams in the 16 teams left. The SEC. has 3. I don’t think Alabama deserved the top seed over them.

We played FSU very tough in Pittsburgh earlier this year. But, this match is in Talahassee it’s hard to see the women winning it. But, they made it this far with their best player out for the season and upsets do happen.

Both the mens and womens soccer teams are in the Sweet Sixteen — and both play the #1 seed next.

I like the Mens chances better. I don’t think Kentucky was deserving of the top seed. The SEC doesn’t play mens soccer so Kentucky played in the Sun Belt conference this year. To me that makes their record suspect. Not exactly an ACC level of competition. Hopefully, a few more days will help Jacquesson recover. He was a shell of his old self against Akron.

Technically, I believe Alabama is the #1 overall seed among the women. But FSU is the defending champions and playing in the ACC, which has 6 teams in the 16 teams left. The SEC. has 3. I don’t think Alabama deserved the top seed over them.

We played FSU very tough in Pittsburgh earlier this year. But, this match is in Talahassee it’s hard to see the women winning it. But, they made it this far with their best player out for the season and upsets do happen.

If we had to pick a #1 seed to play, I definitely would have picked Kentucky. I would have thought they'd be a 5-6 seed, something like that. Anytime you play a team like this, in any sport, you have to like your chances. They may have a good squad but they didnt play a major conference schedule. I think USF has a legit shot to beat them tonight.

Reactions: mike412
Technically, Kentucky hasn't played their game yet, so they need to beat South Florida first.

The game will be played either Saturday or Sunday next weekend. If we can get a South Florida upset tonight Pitt will host the game.

Funny Mike. We don’t always think alike but everything you said was exactly going threw my mind today.

Btw, Kentucky is currently up 4-0. So looks like we know our destination.

I watched the first 30 minutes or so of Kentucky/USF on demand. I wasnt real impressed with Kentucky. They were up 1-0 and then I fell asleep and woke up to it being 4-0. My takeaways:

- Kentucky is fast and aggressive (high press and defenders like to step). They seem to be mostly Americans besides their top scorer, a Danish kid.

- They didn't strike me as a team better than the better ACC teams we've played.

Despite their weak schedule, they ARE undefeated so this isnt going to be easy. They can only play the teams on their schedule. They did beat IU (who is having a bit of a down year) and Louisville. Drew Marshall. Drew and beat WVU. However, you could make the case that Pitt is the best team they will have played and for a #1 seed playing a #16, that kind of sucks for them.

I'm not familiar with soccer lines. If this were a football line, I'd say Kentucky would be favored by 3. But its definitely a game Pitt can win. Center backs need to play well and we need to hit Jacquesson in behind as their defenders like to get involved offensively.

I don’t know if Jacquesson is anything close to being 100%, but if he is and they play as high a line as they did today, he is going to have a lot of chances. Noel played mainly on the left wing last match, so he also will get some chances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT