ADVERTISEMENT

What Coach Gavin Had to Say About Pitzer's Redshirt

Eric_Knopsnyder

Scholarship
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2022
Stoystown, PA
Hey, guys. It took me a little while to catch up with Coach Gavin after Midlands, but I did tonight and will have a couple of stories this week.
As @greekpanther reported on another thread, Pitzer is No. 5 in Flo's rankings. After his great showing at Midlands, the plan is to pull the redshirt and let him wrestle ... almost assuredly.
There's still some hesitancy to throw him into the lineup in every dual, just because a worst-case scenario would be to have him wrestle six dates, get injured and miss the postseason anyway.
But, as of now, he will be wrestling in the ACC Tournament and, assuming he qualifies, the NCAA Tournament.

So walk me through why he wouldn't just wrestle duals too? Isn't wrestling just enough to pull the redshirt almost like wasting a year? I'm not a lifelong wrestler/wrestling fan, and I know wrestling seems to do things differently than other sports, so appreciate clarification. Thanks.

So walk me through why he wouldn't just wrestle duals too? Isn't wrestling just enough to pull the redshirt almost like wasting a year? I'm not a lifelong wrestler/wrestling fan, and I know wrestling seems to do things differently than other sports, so appreciate clarification. Thanks.
In this case, Id say it's to preserve his health for the post season. He is a small heavyweight at this point, and consistently wrestling guys 60lbs heavier can take it toll. He'll do best the fresher he can stay. I think its a good idea to work in Slinger when they can

I’m fairly certain this is possible but Dayton could preserve his redshirt by participating in a few more duals and also compete unattached second semester in some tournaments to get some matches. If he is healthy and ready to go he could be entered into the ACC tournament and go from there. I guess the thought it what if he gets hurt on his 6th competition and it gets wasted. I’d argue that a medical redshirt could come into play but those are not guaranteed

The size of some of those heavyweights is unreal. The weight and strength difference is unlike any other weight class.

I think others have summed it up well. The biggest takeaway is that Coach Gavin wants to be cautious. He doesn't have to commit to pulling the redshirt now, so he won't 100% do that. I think he'll wrestle Pitzer as needed and, assuming all is well heading into the ACC Tournament, we'll see him there.

with a year of college strength and conditioning he can put 20lbs of muscle on considering he is just a kid. His technique with just a tad more strength will put him where he needs to be. The coach has an ace as his hole card currently.

with a year of college strength and conditioning he can put 20lbs of muscle on considering he is just a kid. His technique with just a tad more strength will put him where he needs to be. The coach has an ace as his hole card currently.
I love that despite his success at Midlands, it also showed where some of his weaknesses currently are. Assuming that he improves upon them over the next year, he could REALLY be a beast with more weight and better technique

Reactions: jctrack
Ideally he can still add some weight and muscle here before nationals
Hopefully. Not like he has to cut weight or anything. But also the diet required isnt really good for competing optimally either.

Hopefully. Not like he has to cut weight or anything. But also the diet required isnt really good for competing optimally either.
That's one frustration so far. He hasn't been able to keep weight on.

Reactions: singregardless
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT