Rutgers
Louisville
Cincy
Penn State
Miami
Temple
UConn
VT

At that time, all these schools where independents, JoePA of course messed that up
What’s interesting about this is that had this gone through, perhaps they go after some of the other big independents such as Florida State and South Carolina.

PSU thinks they deserve to run things. Vir.Tech belongs in ACC, so does Maryland. Rutgers is big, but brings nothing.

My leagues is designed for TV coverage. It is city oriented and breaks down into three traditional and geographical sections.

It was a monster for basketball.

Miami and FSU give it respect as a football league. Every team has had some degree of success in football. UConn is the weakest football school.

Replace UConn with Rutgers if you must. UConn basketball without Calhoun was always going to be problematic.

From a basketball perspective it is a great conference, and if you prefer basketball over football I can understand wanting this hypothetical conference. But even if you are a basketball guy, football still pays the bills at all but maybe 5 P5 schools. The tv deals are really football deals that has basketball added in. The conference you propose, brings in no football money.

I understand where you’re coming from, but the money difference was so substantial that I still think Pitt and Syracuse would’ve left.

Remember, there was never any scenario in which a grant-in-rights type of agreement, like that which the ACC has, was ever being discussed. That means teams could have left anyway and Pitt and Syracuse would have.

You also have to understand where the league was emotionally and politically at the time. It was literally on it’s last legs.

The extra football team that you talked about was not going to be UCF or Temple, it was going to be Villanova and that was a big part of the problem.

The ACC had just signed a $155 million contract and ESPN reportedly offered the Big East a $110 million contract. After Pitt and Syracuse joined the league, the media rights contract increased to about $240 million. With the ACC Network, it’s expected to increase quite a bit more. However, the current events of the world are definitely going to delay that timeline.

Financially, it was just a complete no brainer.
Nova declined ramping up to the BE in FB. Of course, under Fat Rollie, they kept temple out of the BE. Their campus stadium is a cramped 13K, so they'd need to rent the Link like Temple at this stage.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Nova declined ramping up to the BE in FB. Of course, under Fat Rollie, they kept temple out of the BE. Their campus stadium is a cramped 13K, so they'd need to rent the Link like Temple at this stage.

Evillainova had shot themselves in the foot on that one. They weren't getting the Linc because Temple has exclusive (the exception being the Army-Navy game) use of it for college football (part of the conditions for Philadelphia putting up public money to build it). And Temple, having LOOOONG memories, wasn't going to budge on that.

Reactions: NTOP
IIRC, they were going to play their games at the ~18K PPL Park in Chester, home of the MLS’ Philadelphia Union.
I0000zIIOZEN.qnw.jpg

Seems like a nice setup but still pretty small.

Reactions: NTOP
IIRC, they were going to play their games at the ~18K PPL Park in Chester, home of the MLS’ Philadelphia Union.
I0000zIIOZEN.qnw.jpg

Seems like a nice setup but still pretty small.

Not that they had much of an alternative if they were going to go through with stepping up to FBS football . . . but if you know anything about the Evillainova fanbase, can you imagine them trekking to CHESTER for football games?

Villanova declined the Big East’s original invitation. However, by the late aughts, they had a change of heart and were all set to go FBS football in an effort to keep the league together.

However, their plan involved not ramping up their training facilities or their recruiting budget and playing their home games in the home stadium of the Philadelphia Union – an MLS team. That stadium, located 30 minutes away in Chester, seats just 18,000 fans.

That was a bright red line for the Pitt administrators – I guarantee you that much. However, Louisville, which was a massive pain in the ass in the old Big East, tried to portray it like Pitt was afraid of in-state competition.

That was not remotely true. Pitt’s concern was that the schools that Pitt regularly recruits against — Penn State, Ohio State, etc. — would use Villanova against Pitt on the recruiting trail with high end local recruits.

The Pitt people were right because that is exactly what would’ve happened.

Isn't there some kind of minimum stadium size for D1 FBS? Like 30000 seats or something like that?

Isn't there some kind of minimum stadium size for D1 FBS? Like 30000 seats or something like that?
i think it's a bit less than that. But 18K means your athletes aren't fed.

Another interesting question would be; In regards to conference expansion, what would the conferences do differently? Would they expand at all? Would they expand with the same teams? Would they choose another school besides the ones that they did?

For example, would the Big Ten still choose Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers?

Yes, they did it strictly for market share. Although Rutgers never really brought the NYC/NJ market, Notre Dame is more the college team for New York. And Delany was on record as saying that was the reason that drove expansion and why Pitt wasn't high on the list since they felt PSU delivered the PA market share.

Yes, they did it strictly for market share. Although Rutgers never really brought the NYC/NJ market, Notre Dame is more the college team for New York. And Delany was on record as saying that was the reason that drove expansion and why Pitt wasn't high on the list since they felt PSU delivered the PA market share.

How did he/they read the PA/PGH market so correctly yet misread the NY/NJ market so wrong?

Switch BC and Syracuse and Duke and UNC. Who objects? UNC because they would be in with Clemson? It seems like any fix if something is, in fact, broken.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Switch BC and Syracuse and Duke and UNC. Who objects? UNC because they would be in with Clemson? It seems like any fix if something is, in fact, broken.
That + switch Louisville and Georgia Tech or Miami. If Notre Dame ever joins full-time and the ACC adds WVU, it’d look like the old Big East

ACC North: Bos. College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, Cuse, UVA, Va Tech, WVU

ACC South: Clemson, Duke, FSU, Ga Tech, Miami, NCST, UNC, Wake

Miami was a charter member of the Big East.

Not so. From Wikipedia:

The original Big East Conference was founded in 1979, when Providence College basketball coach Dave Gavitt spearheaded an effort to assemble an east coast basketball-centric collegiate athletic conference.[14] The core of the Big East formed when Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse invited Seton Hall, Connecticut (UConn), Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College (BC). Holy Cross turned down the invitation, as did Rutgers initially, while BC, Seton Hall, and UConn accepted.[15][16][17] Gavitt became the Big East's first commissioner, and Villanova and Pittsburgh joined the conference shortly thereafter.

Miami didn't join until the conference expanded to sponsor football.

Several schools object. Primary, Florida St and Miami. They want separate divisions. Once you do that, you are kind of stuck. Plus, Virginia Tech opposes it also. They cut their travel budget in half when they joined the ACC.Clemson also wants to play Florida St and Georgia
Tech annually. Too many moving parts for some of these alternative alignments.

Reactions: ThePanthers
My ideal conference would be The Appalachian Conference...
Pitt
WVU
PSU
KY
Tennessee
Clemson
VT
VA
Louisville
Vandy

On a tangent, I wish the ACC Realigned its divisions into Old ACC vs Big East. That would be almost as good:
Pitt
Syr
BC
VT
Louisville
Miami
ND( i know)
I’m much more interested in playing these traditional rivalries than wake or UNC, etc.
If Notre Dame joined then yes, I would be in favor of the north-south split.

I think that could be cool – especially Notre Dame’s existing rivalries with Boston College, Miami and Pitt. Also, I could absolutely see them being interested in playing Syracuse every other year in Yankee Stadium.

However, I just don’t see that ever happening.

With that in mind, I am not for any sort of realignment because I think it’s important for Pitt that we keep Miami, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech in our division for as long as possible for recruiting purposes. The rest, to me, are all interchangeable.

However, I am absolutely not in favor of any realignment scenario that removes Pitt from playing in South Florida, metro Atlanta or Tidewater every year. That seems like a really bad idea for the University of Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Has anyone else ever been to the University of Connecticut? With all due respect, their campus is about as impressive as Slippery Rock’s campus.

I’m not kidding – that’s what it reminded me of an oversized PSAC campus.

It has like 30,000 students but the campus itself is a postage stamp and it is in the middle of nowhere.

An old friend of mine grew up just a few towns over from Storrs and was getting married, so we spent a long weekend in Connecticut. My wife and I hung out for the day on the UConn campus and I literally could not understand how on earth they were getting New York City studs to go to school there? It was just totally bizarre.

They also have a little statue of a Husky right in the middle of their tiny campus. That was weird too. His name is Jonathan – they named him after one of their former governors — also odd. I remember the whole thing.

I left that weekend with more questions than answers.

Also, up until that weekend I had always advocated for a return of the Hartford Whalers. I just loved their sweaters – which I always thought were the best looking sweaters in the NHL. Also, I just loved their rivalry with the Bruins.

However, after spending a weekend in Hartford, they are never coming back. Hartford is like a less glamorous version of Detroit.

Assuming WVU is stick in the B12 and the ACC somehow went to 16 full members...

Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Miami, WVU OR Cincy.

Clemson, FSU, GT, UVa, UNC, NCSU, Wake, Duke.

9 conference games. Pitt's crossover partner is GT. Other one rotates. UVa is VT.

Assuming WVU is stick in the B12 and the ACC somehow went to 16 full members...

Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, BC, Louisville, Miami, WVU OR Cincy.

Clemson, FSU, GT, UVa, UNC, NCSU, Wake, Duke.

9 conference games. Pitt's crossover partner is GT. Other one rotates. UVa is VT.
I’d actually really like that alignment. Wouldn’t be completely regional, but it’d DEFINITELY feel like the old Big East.

Only thing I’d change is that I’d rather just have two rotating cross-conference games a year than a permanent crossover game and one rotating opponent. That way you’d be able to play every ACC team in a four year span. But that’s just my opinion. From a recruiting standpoint, having Ga Tech as a permanent game would likely be a plus.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT