ADVERTISEMENT

What is Pittsburgh?

In sports there are three regions. Because a disproportionate number of those teams are in the East, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Detroit were moved to the Central Divisions.

The US is divided into four time zones. All four of those cities are in the East. One could argue that all four cities are Eastern cities.

A major international city. Pittsburgh has an Opera company and a good one at that. Pittsburgh is really unique is what corporate wealth did for the city. I remember reading that the Pittsburgh region has the most college students anywhere in the country. I can tell you every college grad from a Pittsburgh school that is from the DC area wants to stay in Pittsburgh.
Excellent point about the corporate money. I don't know if there's any new money involved, but we know that the old money continues to pay the freight to this day. Without it, IMHO, we'd be a cultural desert.

Reactions: TFBaum
See, the issue with this you're strictly comparing the Burgh to the Coast. It would mean more if you had also lived in Indy for a while, and still felt that way. My guess is that if you had lived in Indy for 18 years instead of Delaware, Pittsburgh would feel very eastern to you. Pittsburgh is really it's own thing, and it doesn't really fit with either region.

You did read the part where I say “Gateway to the MidWest”? That doesn’t mean it’s MidWest per se. It’s a border city. However, I do think folks in the area are more MidWest than East Coast. The Pennsyltucky that’s between Pittsburgh and Philly really separates the attitudes. I think Pittsburgh is closer to Chicago in personality than New York and they’re about equidistant to Pittsburgh in opposite directions. My opinion.

You did read the part where I say “Gateway to the MidWest”? That doesn’t mean it’s MidWest per se. It’s a border city. However, I do think folks in the area are more MidWest than East Coast. The Pennsyltucky that’s between Pittsburgh and Philly really separates the attitudes. I think Pittsburgh is closer to Chicago in personality than New York and they’re about equidistant to Pittsburgh in opposite directions. My opinion.
Chicago's 160 miles further than Philly. Detroit, and Philly are about the same distance from Pittsburgh. Chicago's 90 miles farther than New York, and has zero impact on Pittsburgh, unlike the cities that are truly in the Midwest. Even Cleveland feels Chicago's pull, Pittsburgh doesn't. When Megabus first got started, the put Pittsburgh on the Midwestern circuit, with trips ending in Chicago. The buses were empty, and had to be discontinued. When they came back, they put us on the eastern circuit, and the buses were full. Pittsburgh really doesn't care about Chicago. All Midwest cities look to Chicago.

I agree with the rust belt analogy, but since the last days of USSteel, we have gotten kinda techy, which has been a rebirth for the East Liberty area. A lot of the impoverished areas have reinvented themselves, like Lawrenceville, and the north shore Allegheny river front.
I still say the Pittsburgh and Cincinnati could be sister cities.
Downtown Cinci is a bit more lively at night, (pre COVID), than the Burgh. But the north and south shores, seem to be the place to be for local nightlife.
I’m not seeing a resemblance to Phila, Baltimore, or NYC. Haven’t been to Cleveland in many years, but I have a daughter in Cincinnati in the wine business, and they are thriving.

I've lived in Virginia, Pennsyvania, and (now) California - Pittsburgh is solidly northeast. They aren't east coast or midwestern - they are 100% Northeastern though.

What is Pittsburgh? Second biggest and most politically important town and former seat of Allegheny County. Only Dormont is bigger.

ADVERTISEMENT