ADVERTISEMENT

What is your guess at a lineup?

Of course it also allows people you are recruiting against to say "why would you go there, they played a bunch of freshmen 30 minutes a game, there won't be any playing time left for you."
and you retort - if you are good enough their 30 are yours - we play the best player - period

Or guys who could blossom like beautiful flowers if given the attention and care they need wilt and die. One or the other.

But since we have so many good players on the team right now losing a few guys who could become good players would be no real loss, I suppose.

o_O
Pitt needs good team players that are willing to do anything to win. Guys that despise losing, and will put in the extra work when nobody is around. We need junkyard dogs, not flowers.

Reactions: gary2
Pitt needs good team players that are willing to do anything to win. Guys that despise losing, and will put in the extra work when nobody is around. We need junkyard dogs, not flowers.
A kid like this - not currently heavily recruited but I would sign him tomorrow.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/bryce-washington-mi

I don't think this kid looks like he would be worried about if he was ready or not - I don't think this kid would worry about the kid on Pitt's team currently playing 30 mins at his position. This kid just takes the ball and runs with it and you better get out of his way. We need players like that.

Last edited:

Exactly right. Pitt needs good players. And the notion that the way that you get good players is to throw them into the deep end and see if they can swim is absurd. For some guys that works. Other people drown. We can't afford to throw away anyone who might develop into a good player simply because of a misguided notion that if guys aren't ready to be thrown to the wolves as freshmen that they'll never be worth having.

Good lord, we've just come through the best period of Pitt basketball in any of our lifetimes (if not the lifetime of the program) with our best teams being built on guys who frequently weren't ready to play as true freshmen but who were really good players by the time they were juniors and seniors. And you want to throw guys like that out. Sure. Great idea.

Exactly right. Pitt needs good players. And the notion that the way that you get good players is to throw them into the deep end and see if they can swim is absurd. For some guys that works. Other people drown. We can't afford to throw away anyone who might develop into a good player simply because of a misguided notion that if guys aren't ready to be thrown to the wolves as freshmen that they'll never be worth having.

Good lord, we've just come through the best period of Pitt basketball in any of our lifetimes (if not the lifetime of the program) with our best teams being built on guys who frequently weren't ready to play as true freshmen but who were really good players by the time they were juniors and seniors. And you want to throw guys like that out. Sure. Great idea.
You act like we have other options. This is a very unusual set of circumstances. We have 7 freshman and 9 total newcomers entering the program. There is absolutely no way that all 7 freshman stay all 4 years in the program.

You act like we have other options. This is a very unusual set of circumstances. We have 7 freshman and 9 total newcomers entering the program.

Well in the specific instance we were talking about we do have another option. If the choice is to play Milligan 25 minutes a game and that's well more than he "deserves" but it allows you to give the proper amount of playing time in the best situations to other players to help them develop then you do that, even though you know that Milligan won't be here the following season.

Well in the specific instance we were talking about we do have another option. If the choice is to play Milligan 25 minutes a game and that's well more than he "deserves" but it allows you to give the proper amount of playing time in the best situations to other players to help them develop then you do that, even though you know that Milligan won't be here the following season.
I am getting nauseous just thinking about Milligan getting 25 minutes, and being our best option. Thanks.

Reactions: gary2
I am getting nauseous just thinking about Milligan getting 25 minutes, and being our best option. Thanks.

No need to worry about that - Milligan will never play 25 minutes a game at the point. Milligan is lucky if he can pass the ball successfully around the perimeter without pressure, never mind being the primary ball handler and distributor.

It was stupid and irresponsible that Stallings did not bring in another point for this season, particularly with all the scholarships available. He should have learned the importance of point guard play last season if he was not already aware of it. M.Carr has a heavy burden to shoulder. Anything he is unable to carry will have to be carried by Stewart unless Davis is better than advertised. Andy Kennedy, Stallings and Athlon magazine all indicated that Stewart is looked at as a viable option at the point.

There is not much concerning playing time about next season that you can be certain of, but I feel safe predicting Milligan will not play anything close to 25 minutes at the point.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
No need to worry about that - Milligan will never play 25 minutes a game at the point. Milligan is lucky if he can pass the ball successfully around the perimeter without pressure, never mind being the primary ball handler and distributor.

It was stupid and irresponsible that Stallings did not bring in another point for this season, particularly with all the scholarships available. He should have learned the importance of point guard play last season if he was not already aware of it. M.Carr has a heavy burden to shoulder. Anything he is unable to carry will have to be carried by Stewart unless Davis is better than advertised. Andy Kennedy, Stallings and Athlon magazine all indicated that Stewart is looked at as a viable option at the point.

There is not much concerning playing time about next season that you can be certain of, but I feel safe predicting Milligan will not play anything close to 25 minutes at the point.
Dixon's fault that Stallings ran off two points and failed to recruit a second.

Again

I don't think KS has much choice at this point in time . Whomever the best players are regardless of class will get court time . Will these guys be ready to face the elite teams they'll be playing ..no , but what other option is there . If some of these guys wilt under fire then they'll be on the bench and if they have future ACC level abilities hopefully they'll stay and develop their skills .
The boat is sinking there's no waiting for another yr to take swimming lessons !

This is the FEDs doing this investigation. Do you think they got involved because Adidas was involved and had no choice but to name coaches for their case to stick? The FEDs don't lose cases.

We always liked to do this in the off-season but undoubtedly, this one will be the trickiest ever.

PG - Stewart 30 Carr 10
SG - Carr 20 Boykins/Milligan 20
SF - JWF 30 Stevenson 10
PF - Luther 30 George 10
C - Brown 30 Peace 10

Pittsburgh Sports Now has a pretty informative article. Looks like I had the right 5 but Carr will be the starting PG and Stewart will start at the 2.

I see the 2 5th year seniors, Milligan and Boykins backing up the 2 frosh guards. Stevenson will play a lot backing up JWF and also getting some minutes at the 4.

The 5 looks to be a rotation between Brown, Chukwuka, and Luther.

Davis may play or could still RS, not a ton of minutes for him. Peace will redshirt. George is probably better off transferring mid-season.

Pittsburgh Sports Now has a pretty informative article. Looks like I had the right 5 but Carr will be the starting PG and Stewart will start at the 2.

I see the 2 5th year seniors, Milligan and Boykins backing up the 2 frosh guards. Stevenson will play a lot backing up JWF and also getting some minutes at the 4.

The 5 looks to be a rotation between Brown, Chukwuka, and Luther.

Davis may play or could still RS, not a ton of minutes for him. Peace will redshirt. George is probably better off transferring mid-season.
I would not pat myself on the back yet.

The worst recruiting class of Rick Pitino's 16 years at UofL included Russ Smith and Gorgui Dieng. Russ was a 2* guard Pitino didn't recognize when he made it to campus, and Dieng was a last minute option after Fab Melo went to Cuse. You never know about some of these guys. You might find lightning in a bottle with one of Carr/Stewart/Stevenson/Brown

Reactions: FireballZ
A kid like this - not currently heavily recruited but I would sign him tomorrow.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/bryce-washington-mi

I don't think this kid looks like he would be worried about if he was ready or not - I don't think this kid would worry about the kid on Pitt's team currently playing 30 mins at his position. This kid just takes the ball and runs with it and you better get out of his way. We need players like that.
I first mentioned this player on September 25th - He now has a Pitt offer - Great video

Bryce Washington‏@Bryce_Wash 26m26 minutes ago
Blessed to receive an offer to play basketball at Pitt!
1f3c0.png
1f64f-1f3fd.png

If there were 2 we were going to recruit hard, maybe this is the first?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT