ADVERTISEMENT

What latest CFP ranks means for ACC bowls (re: Belk)

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The SEC has 5 teams ranked in the Top 11. Auburn is last at 11. It will probably stay that way unless Oregon beats Utah. This would mean that 5 SEC teams will get NY6 bowls, leaving only 5 others to go to regular bowls. So there may not be enough SEC teams to fill the Belk Bowl.

Their first pick after the NY6 goes to the Citrus. Then they have 6 "Tier 1" bowls with equal selection status similar to how the ACC does it but may have only 4 eligible teams. These are:

Outback
Gator
Music City
Belk
Liberty
Texas

2 of these bowls will be left without an SEC team and that could be the Belk Bowl. If you figure that the Outback, Gator, and Music City will be filled, that means only 1 out of the Belk, Texas, and Liberty Bowl will get an SEC team.

Could Pitt, which will probably not get an ACC Tier 1 bowl land in one of those? I'm not sure exactly but wouldn't write it completely off.

I am still predicting Pitt to Detroit. I dont think the Military Bowl takes us over FSU, Miami, or UNC. I'd rather face a Big Ten team in Detroit than an American Athletic team in Annapolis anyway.

Will the ACC have an extra team after all its alloments filled?
They also have have Gaspirrila and Birmingham as backups first I think.

Will the ACC have an extra team after all its alloments filled?

Yes.

Lets say

CFP: Clemson
Orange: UVa
CW: ND

Music City: Lou
Pinstripe: VT
Sun: Wake
Belk: UNC

Military: FSU
Independence: Miami
Quick Lane: Pitt

They have secondary affiliations with the Gasparilla Bowl and Birmingham Bowl so BC could go to one of these but I could see a "trade" happening where the ACC sends a team to an SEC bowl and the Gasparilla or Birmingham get a G5 team.

The SEC has 5 teams ranked in the Top 11. Auburn is last at 11. It will probably stay that way unless Oregon beats Utah. This would mean that 5 SEC teams will get NY6 bowls, leaving only 5 others to go to regular bowls. So there may not be enough SEC teams to fill the Belk Bowl.

That's not how it works.

The top 4 go to playoffs.

Look at the bowls
Fiesta/Peach (Playoff) - there are 7 teams in the running
LSU/Georgia/OSU/Clemson/Utah/OU/Baylor

If LSU beats Georgia - here is the bowls

Sugar HAS to be Big12/SEC (It is between GA/FL (as both beat Auburn and have less losses so won't fall below them
If Big12 Gets in the playoff
Georgia(Florida) Vs. Baylor OU Loser

If Big 12 Doesn't Get in to Playoff
Georgia(Florida) Vs. Baylor OU Winner

Orange HAS TO BE ACC vs SEC/BIG/ND (whoever is highest)
So this is Virginia (likely) vs. Georgia/Florida (Whoever is lower)

Rose HAS to be BIG/PAC
So Utah/Oregon vs PSU/Wiscy (I think OSU is in playoff regardless of result and Minny is too far below PSU/Wiscy to jump either. Wiscy may not drop below PSU - but if they win they are in.

Cotton - will be G5 vs Highest team not in playoff
Chances are this will be PSU/Baylor/OU. Outside shot at Auburn. The reason is Auburn probably won't jump PSU (since they lost to both Georgia/LSU and won't get bump by either winning. Baylor/OU loser may not drop below PSU/Auburn unless it was a blowout by OU. Wiscy may not either - but I think they will unless they keep it very close

So if Georgia Loses - The SEC will likely get 3 teams in (and possibly 4 - but i doubt it).

If Georgia wins - one of 2 things happens. LSU misses the playoff (and just switch UGA/with LSU above) or they both make the playoff.

If they both make playoff the bowls will look like this
Fiesta/Peach - OSU/Clemson/LSU/Georgia
Sugar - Florida vs OU/Baylor
Rose - Wiscy vs Utah/Oregon
Orange PSU vs Virigina
Cotton - OU/Baylor/Auburn vs G5.

The rose would choose before the Orange (as conference replacement) and would work with the Big10 to take Wiscy since PSU would then be slotted into the Orange and would get 3 teams in.

Auburn would be in the same boat as before for the cotton and would probably be behind Baylor/OU unless it was a blowout by OU

So the SEC will get 3 and possibly 4

I am still predicting Pitt to Detroit. I dont think the Military Bowl takes us over FSU, Miami, or UNC. I'd rather face a Big Ten team in Detroit than an American Athletic team in Annapolis anyway.

From the PG:

Judging by industry bowl projections (and using common sense) Pitt might be available for the Military Bowl to choose. Beck would welcome the chance to bring the Panthers back to Annapolis, Md., to play an American Athletic Conference team on Dec. 27.

“We’d be lucky to have the opportunity to take Pitt again,” the executive added. “We hold them in very high regard.”

That's not how it works.

The top 4 go to playoffs.

Look at the bowls
Fiesta/Peach (Playoff) - there are 7 teams in the running
LSU/Georgia/OSU/Clemson/Utah/OU/Baylor

If LSU beats Georgia - here is the bowls

Sugar HAS to be Big12/SEC (It is between GA/FL (as both beat Auburn and have less losses so won't fall below them
If Big12 Gets in the playoff
Georgia(Florida) Vs. Baylor OU Loser

If Big 12 Doesn't Get in to Playoff
Georgia(Florida) Vs. Baylor OU Winner

Orange HAS TO BE ACC vs SEC/BIG/ND (whoever is highest)
So this is Virginia (likely) vs. Georgia/Florida (Whoever is lower)

Rose HAS to be BIG/PAC
So Utah/Oregon vs PSU/Wiscy (I think OSU is in playoff regardless of result and Minny is too far below PSU/Wiscy to jump either. Wiscy may not drop below PSU - but if they win they are in.

Cotton - will be G5 vs Highest team not in playoff
Chances are this will be PSU/Baylor/OU. Outside shot at Auburn. The reason is Auburn probably won't jump PSU (since they lost to both Georgia/LSU and won't get bump by either winning. Baylor/OU loser may not drop below PSU/Auburn unless it was a blowout by OU. Wiscy may not either - but I think they will unless they keep it very close

So if Georgia Loses - The SEC will likely get 3 teams in (and possibly 4 - but i doubt it).

If Georgia wins - one of 2 things happens. LSU misses the playoff (and just switch UGA/with LSU above) or they both make the playoff.

If they both make playoff the bowls will look like this
Fiesta/Peach - OSU/Clemson/LSU/Georgia
Sugar - Florida vs OU/Baylor
Rose - Wiscy vs Utah/Oregon
Orange PSU vs Virigina
Cotton - OU/Baylor/Auburn vs G5.

The rose would choose before the Orange (as conference replacement) and would work with the Big10 to take Wiscy since PSU would then be slotted into the Orange and would get 3 teams in.

Auburn would be in the same boat as before for the cotton and would probably be behind Baylor/OU unless it was a blowout by OU

So the SEC will get 3 and possibly 4

Dude, you killed him.

I dont know how you get to your 5 sec teams.

Fiesta and peach are playoffs this year. I'm guessing only 1 sec team gets in.

Rose, orange, and sugar are contract bowls.

Rose - pac 12 vs big 10
Orange - acc vs sec/big
Sugar - big xii vs sec
Cotton - group of 5 vs at large

So unless you are assuming the sec gets 2 in the playoff, gets the orange, has in the sugar, and gets the at large, which will be a pretty tall task, especially with some big 10 teams out there, they may get 3, at most 4.

I dont know how you get to your 5 sec teams.

Fiesta and peach are playoffs this year. I'm guessing only 1 sec team gets in.

Rose, orange, and sugar are contract bowls.

Rose - pac 12 vs big 10
Orange - acc vs sec/big
Sugar - big xii vs sec
Cotton - group of 5 vs at large

So unless you are assuming the sec gets 2 in the playoff, gets the orange, has in the sugar, and gets the at large, which will be a pretty tall task, especially with some big 10 teams out there, they may get 3, at most 4.

I was off by 1. The Top 10 teams will get NY6 bowls plus UVa and Memphis/Cincy.

LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida will get NY6 bowls. So the SEC wont fill 1.

All I want, is a beatable team, nothing challenging, I'd hate to lose the last 3 and finish 7-6 after losing the last 3 to go 7-7 last year. All I want as a result from the bowls this year is an "8".

Reactions: JSSTartan
The SEC doesn’t have 5 teams in the top 11, it has 5 teams in the top 12. And Auburn isn’t the last one, it’s Bama, with Auburn and Bama at 11 and 12.

Yes, assuming Utah beats Oregon and Clemson beats UVA, the current top 10 plus UVA and G5 winner will go to NY6 bowls. That means 3 SEC teams, 3 B10 teams, 2 ACC teams, 2 Big XII teams, 1 PAC 12 team, and 1 G5 team.

Reactions: ThePanthers
All I want, is a beatable team, nothing challenging, I'd hate to lose the last 3 and finish 7-6 after losing the last 3 to go 7-7 last year. All I want as a result from the bowls this year is an "8".

Pitt second half-
2015 2-4
2016 3-3
2017 3-3(no bowl)
2018 3-3
2019 2-3?

So I'd hope for Detroit bowl vs Kent.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Pitt second half-
2015 2-4
2016 3-3
2017 3-3(no bowl)
2018 3-3
2019 2-3?

So I'd hope for Detroit bowl vs Kent.
Ironically enough, Kent State is going in the opposite direction. Was 3-6 and won three straight to gain bowl eligibility. I have a buddy who is part of their program, he likes what they have with the new head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT