ADVERTISEMENT

What non-ACC school would you like Pitt to play for the first time?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
The following Power conference schools have never played Pitt before:

Big 12: Kansas State, Texas Tech

Pac-12*: Colorado

SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, Miss State, Vanderbilt

Personally, I’d love to play LSU followed by Colorado for the road trip. Bonus: back when home/homes with non-power schools was a thing, I wish we played a Mountain West school or two. Fresno State or Colorado State would’ve been a blast to visit.

Only a few more weeks of non-football discussions. What say you?

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
Obviously Colorado. Preferably, one of the first two games this year, because it's going to be a shitshow there.

And damn, it's nice out there.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Obviously Colorado. Preferably, one of the first two games this year, because it's going to be a shitshow there.

And damn, it's nice out there.
Yeah, very few stadiums around the country are beating this view:
o.jpg

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers

Personally, I’d love to play LSU followed by Colorado for the road trip. Bonus: back when home/homes with non-power schools was a thing, I wish we played a Mountain West school or two. Fresno State or Colorado State would’ve been a blast to visit.

Alabama in the National Championship Game !!!

Meh on any. Alabama, when we were in our late 70s prime. But we, like nearly all other schools all years, would be boat raced if we played now; who needs that virtual dismal certainty?

If forced to play any of them, take Auburn, since even though they suck today, beating them will be treated by Pgh media (and poll voters)like it is beating Auburn of Cam Newton years. After all that’s what happened recently when another familiar school played them.

Meh on any. Alabama, when we were in our late 70s prime. But we, like nearly all other schools all years, would be boat raced if we played now; who needs that virtual dismal certainty?

If forced to play any of them, take Auburn, since even though they suck today, beating them will be treated by Pgh media (and poll voters)like it is beating Auburn of Cam Newton years. After all that’s what happened recently when another familiar school played them.
I'd argue we would have a game if we played 2021 teams

This is actually true…I dunno that we could actually hang though. But that def would have been the year to test it
Maybe it’s the homer in me talking, but I think we could’ve beaten anyone that season, and that’s including the four playoff teams. That’s not to say we would have, but our offense and defense gave us a shot against anyone. What a fun season.

Maybe it’s the homer in me talking, but I think we could’ve beaten anyone that season, and that’s including the four playoff teams. That’s not to say we would have, but our offense and defense gave us a shot against anyone. What a fun season.
What my worry is that we were fairly neck in neck with Clemson in the victory that year, at home, when they were fairly down in some key positions that season. Recall their QB missing a wide open Td in the first half, etc. But among our opponents they were still the closest in talent overall to Bama, who would have had better players at those positions. So I suspect we’d have lost the game, especially if a road or neutral field. But we wouldn’t have been wiped out.

What my worry is that we were fairly neck and neck with Clemson in the victory that year, at home, when they were fairly down in some key positions that season. Recall their QB missing a wide open Td in the first half, etc. But among our opponents they were still the closest in talent overall to Bama, who would have had better players at those positions. So I suspect we’d have lost the game, especially if a road or neutral field. But we wouldn’t have been wiped out.
In all honesty, I think it would’ve looked something like Washington’s defeat to Alabama in the Peach Bowl semis, but probably more scoring. Kenny would’ve given us a shot but even though we had much more like depth than Cincinnati, Alabama is on another level.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
UTEP. Can't get enough of El Paso.
I was merely going to post a link to a stock performance of the Marty Robbins song with no intent at all to actually watch it… but after searching for one I saw this rather odd video showing what is advertised as an “AI depiction” video of the song based on the song lyrics. I have to say it held my attention quite a bit longer than some HeeHaw clip would have. I’m skeptical that some AI engine created this video (and from what images?) but it is interesting…

That's a much smaller list than I expected.

Auburn, LSU, and Bama would be nice.

I just looked at the 1947 schedule. We played, in order, at Illinois, Notre Dame, at Michigan, at Indiana, Ohio State, at Minnesota, at Purdue, Penn State and West Virginia.

We might as well have been a Big Ten member!

We beat Ohio State 12-0. We lost the other eight games by a combined 267-14.

Ouch.

I just looked at the 1947 schedule. We played, in order, at Illinois, Notre Dame, at Michigan, at Indiana, Ohio State, at Minnesota, at Purdue, Penn State and West Virginia.

We might as well have been a Big Ten member!

We beat Ohio State 12-0. We lost the other eight games by a combined 267-14.

Ouch.
Wasn’t that around the time we were gunning for a Big Ten invitation? If I recall correctly, there was interest on both sides when backfilling UChicago’s void but leadership changes at Pitt and the Big Ten removed us from consideration. Perhaps that’s a Paco question.

Wasn’t that around the time we were gunning for a Big Ten invitation? If I recall correctly, there was interest on both sides when backfilling UChicago’s void but leadership changes at Pitt and the Big Ten removed us from consideration. Perhaps that’s a Paco question.
correct.

Pitt also adopted the B10's purity rules as well. That didn't go so well, since few in the B10 was actually following those rules themselves.

What my worry is that we were fairly neck in neck with Clemson in the victory that year, at home, when they were fairly down in some key positions that season. Recall their QB missing a wide open Td in the first half, etc. But among our opponents they were still the closest in talent overall to Bama, who would have had better players at those positions. So I suspect we’d have lost the game, especially if a road or neutral field. But we wouldn’t have been wiped out.
Why do people insist on putting our win against Clemson down in 2021? They finished 10-3 and ranked #14. One of their losses was to Pitt, another to UGA, and another to NC State in double overtime.

One of the reasons they got knocked back was because Pitt beat them. If they beat Pitt they're a top 10 team easy. It's not like they were 6-6.

Why do people insist on putting our win against Clemson down in 2021? They finished 10-3 and ranked #14. One of their losses was to Pitt, another to UGA, and another to NC State in double overtime.

One of the reasons they got knocked back was because Pitt beat them. If they beat Pitt they're a top 10 team easy. It's not like they were 6-6.
We also beat them when they went 14-1 and won the NC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT