ADVERTISEMENT

What to watch for as Pitt begins series with Illinois

Intersting Eric, do you think coach should insert Dayton if this is close? I expect this to be a close match too. Your thoughts?

Not Eric but I’m thinking save him for ACC matches. Already know he is going to Midlands so he has 3 left. Might come in handy for NC state, UNC and VT
Ryno, your probably right. ACC is more important. I just have a hard time leaving someone off the mat who by most accounts is already ready to step on it. Dayton is beast, let the kid roll around.

Intersting Eric, do you think coach should insert Dayton if this is close? I expect this to be a close match too. Your thoughts?
I don't think it's worth using him today. The plan is still to redshirt him. The Lehigh match was about getting him to face a top-20 heavyweight who has a lot of weight on him. He came through that with flying colors.
If does really well at Midlands, maybe they pull the redshirt, but if not, they still have the ability to use him for three ACC duals. If they go on to win the ACC title AND keep his redshirt intact, would anyone care that they lost to Illinois in December?

Fantastic start for the Panthers. Camacho gets a pin and Micky gets a nice win over rival Byrd. That will be huge for seeding purposes later in the year

Reactions: persp
Fantastic start for the Panthers. Camacho gets a pin and Micky gets a nice win over rival Byrd. That will be huge for seeding purposes later in the year
Awesome start! Great pin by Camacho and that was as good as Phillippi has looked in some time

Big ten plus. I did a month because I figured midlands will be on here as well

Cole gets the win but nothing too special. Looks a little off. Badgett gets a nice win over Davenport. Rode the piss out of him. Wonder if he is working closely with Wentzel

21-0 Pitt. Absolutely dominating Illinois. Casto with a pin (almost pinned him two other times before getting this one). Pitt’s Twitter is posting some clips btw

• Love
Reactions: Chaos
Gets a lot tougher here but our lineup also does as well. What a great first half

Yeah, this team looks so solid.

Cole is in a tough spot because guys arent engaging with him. I think he needs to shoot more just to get engaged in his scrambles.

Badgett with a scrappy win. Super impressive ride. Davenport should have been hot with a second stall call in the second. Flat as a pancake for 2 minutes.

Casto looked to be pacing himself a bit better today. Worked a bit slower and didnt force opportunities. The upper weights will be fun

Reactions: lucac
Wow wasn't expecting this today looking very good so far

Holden ran out of gas. Could have had 4 takedowns in the first. Call is reversed in OT but eventually gives up the takedown. Damn

Reactions: persp
Holden ran out of gas. Could have had 4 takedowns in the first. Call is reversed in OT but eventually gives up the takedown. Damn
Yeah, he gassed pretty bad. That was disappointing

Nino with the 3-1 OT win over Braunagle. Looked like he hurt his knee or ankle early on though. He was clearly struggling with it. He gutted out the win though. Hope he is ok

Reactions: lucac and Chaos
Nino and Slinger both get decision victories to end the dual. Nino gets another top 15 win over the other Braunagel in OT Surprised there was not at least a stalling point before then as it seemed like Nino was in on his legs many times but just couldn’t finish. Nino was never in danger even when Braunagel got in deep. Nino fed him some hips and was out of danger in no time. Decent win for Slinger anytime you beat a big ten heavy you don’t complain. 2 OT matches away from shutting out a solid Illinois team. Can’t recall a better effort in recent memory

Nino and Slinger both get decision victories to end the dual. Nino gets another top 15 win over the other Braunagel in OT Surprised there was not at least a stalling point before then as it seemed like Nino was in on his legs many times but just couldn’t finish. Nino was never in danger even when Braunagel got in deep. Nino fed him some hips and was out of danger in no time. Decent win for Slinger anytime you beat a big ten heavy you don’t complain. 2 OT matches away from shutting out a solid Illinois team. Can’t recall a better effort in recent memory
Agreed, Ryno. This was the best performance I've seen in a long, long time. Disappointed in Holden gassing and Luca got caught flat-footed in OT, which can't happen, but both were facing good guys and were right there for the victory. I posted my thoughts on each weight in another thread.

Reactions: _DBHoops and Ryno53
ADVERTISEMENT