ADVERTISEMENT

What's in the building at the Petersen Sports Complex?

When I was at a baseball game, I went over to the building in front of the soccer field. It had concessions and bathrooms, and locker rooms. There's another building down the left sideline of the baseball field. I think it's a covered pitch-catch area. I'd like to know what else is over there. Didn't Pitt produce a video tour of the interior of the building by the soccer field when it first opened?

There are lockers, equipment facilities and training rooms for the players. There are also the concessions and public restrooms. We didnt build coaches offices, a new weight room, or any luxury seating like we probably should have.

One would hope they were smart enough to build in a way that would let them add those things later.

My understanding is that a 3rd floor could be added to the building in the future if funding was available.

Originally posted by bwh05:
There are lockers, equipment facilities and training rooms for the players. There are also the concessions and public restrooms. We didnt build coaches offices, a new weight room, or any luxury seating like we probably should have.
Wow. How much would it have cost to add some coach's offices and a weight room? Geez, I know we dont have any money but is it that bad?

The complex is nice but really, only in comparison to what we had which was no soccer stadium, and the worst baseball/softball facilities in the country. I think they should have tunneled under cement to the Pitt dugout and to the soccer field so that the baseball and soccer players could have entered the field that way from the locker room instead of walking through the facility amongst the fans.

You can tell that we had very limited money available but what else is new. Its better than what we had.

We did a few phases in the Fitz for the Olympic Sports Coaching Offices. While wrestling got the nicest upgrade (its comparable to PSUcks in Rec hall, my company did that one 2) the coaching complex in Fitz is very nice.

And yes the Pete complex has reinforced steel for a third level. But Track Facility, Trees reno, cost reno, band facility, and a few other things are way ahead of additions to that facility.

Hail to Pitt

Track and tennis are the only Pitt sports without a home. And that list doesn't include an indoor tennis facility which I am sure will nor even be considered by this administration or the next.

Penn states facilities at Rec Hall are nicer than what we have at the Fitz and their room is a lot bigger too.

Not by much bwh. They are pretty close, similar set up. I did do the construction on both.

Hail to Pitt

Think that is one of the reasons for the future Cost Reno. (there technically are tennis courts in there). I've also heard rumblings from Facilities that they are looking at putting tennis courts in the grassy area between the Pete and the new dorms.

Hail to Pitt

Originally posted by ThePittPike:
Think that is one of the reasons for the future Cost Reno. (there technically are tennis courts in there). I've also heard rumblings from Facilities that they are looking at putting tennis courts in the grassy area between the Pete and the new dorms.

Hail to Pitt
That green space is covered by students when it is warm. Intramural tennis courts there could either be a good idea or ruin the greenspace depending how intrusively it is done, but I couldn't imagine putting a D1 varsity facility there...it would take up almost all of that space. But originally, I believe that green space was not supposed to be touched per the original design.

Are you hearing anything else interesting from facilities? A track complex seems like it should be a priority on the upper hill. They really do need to future out what they want to do with the Cost Center. But another thing that was interesting, and was sort of a stray comment, was the Pittsburgh School District mentioning that it was willing to think about selling the Pittsburgh Public School Building next to Bellefield Hall.

This post was edited on 12/9 12:50 PM by CrazyPaco

I'd love for Pitt to add a varsity tennis facility, but I'm a bit taken aback by losing any green space in Oakland.

I've mentioned the grassy knoll next to the pete before. I walk by there all the time and rarely is there more than a handful of kids using it. Maybe if they would plant some trees or other stuff it might get used more. Still can't believe we don't have our own track.

I would suppose that the grassy knoll is a great view while working out in the Pete fitness facility,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT