ADVERTISEMENT

What's the end game here.

paulbl99

Board of Trustee
Aug 13, 2007
A billion $ industry built on the talent of teenagers , many many whom don't have 2 dimes to rub together for the 1-4 yrs they are in CBB..
Imo this was becoming an unsustainable model.

For yous guys who really follow CBB the question is :
now that the paola part of the system appears to be gone, the channeling of players to a few well connected NBA FACTORIES ending, what happens next?

now that the paola part of the system appears to be gone, the channeling of players to a few well connected NBA FACTORIES ending, what happens next?

Why do people keep writing this? Nothing will change. Players go to UNC or UConn or Kentucky or all the other top programs because those schools put guys into the NBA. Pitino paying recruits is just like Barry Bonds takings steroids because he was jealous of McGwire's press coverage. The guy was already a HOFer and could've settled for being a top-25 team for the rest of his career, but got greedy. Take all of the money away, take away the shoe deals, and kids are still going to go play for the best teams and best coaches that give them a shot at NBA money. No kid is going to flip a coin and pick Pitt over Duke just because both schools are offering him $0.

Reactions: BFo8 and OH Pete
Totally agree with Levance - nothing is going to change other than the names of the coaches, agents & players involved.

Regarding your other point about the system - we like to criticize the system, but here we are on a message board devoted to it, waiting for Midnight Madness and the season to open. We the fans are a major part of the problem - the schools, coaches & TV Networks are just giving us what we want.

Why do people keep writing this? Nothing will change. Players go to UNC or UConn or Kentucky or all the other top programs because those schools put guys into the NBA. Pitino paying recruits is just like Barry Bonds takings steroids because he was jealous of McGwire's press coverage. The guy was already a HOFer and could've settled for being a top-25 team for the rest of his career, but got greedy. Take all of the money away, take away the shoe deals, and kids are still going to go play for the best teams and best coaches that give them a shot at NBA money. No kid is going to flip a coin and pick Pitt over Duke just because both schools are offering him $0.

I disagree. I think if less schools cheat now, that helps Pitt greatly.

Think about it. Top recruits opt to play for Xavier, Creighton, SHU, Prov, NC State, Miami, Western Kentucky, Alabama, Penn State, etc. If schools like that have have had to cheat to get players and no longer cheat, the trickle down helps Pitt. Pitt is never going to get a Duke-level kid but for those PSU Philly kids, those are players Pitt could have gotten for example if Chambers didn't cheat (assuming he did)

On the flip side, you keep insinuating that people are saying 5 star kids are going to start picking Pitt over schools like Duke and Kentucky because this scandal should help clean up some of college hoops.

Who has said that? I haven't read one person state that yet you continue to insinuate it.

Taking the corruption out of the game does help level the playing field. Clearly the true blue blood programs like UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas and a few others will still get their pick of kids on a regular basis but schools like Tennessee, Auburn, Miss St, Miami, Xaiver, etc... would be put back on a level playing field with the rest of College Basketball without the rampant cheating.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Taking the corruption out of the game does help level the playing field. Clearly the true blue blood programs like UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas and a few others will still get their pick of kids on a regular basis but schools like Tennessee, Auburn, Miss St, Miami, Xaiver, etc... would be put back on a level playing field with the rest of College Basketball without the rampant cheating.

What has cheating done for Tennessee or Auburn or Seton Hall or Penn State? You guys make it sound like a title is out there for Pitt to take, but you are citing competing teams that aren't even any good. The charges detailed by the FBI are concerning financial consultants and shoe marketers preying on NBA talent. Those guys aren't targeting 3* recruits and hoping to one day get a shoe deal out of them.

Which guy recruited by Pat Chambers is going to get a shoe deal?

And let's assume that each school you cited gets the death penalty. Pitt is 15th out of 15 in the ACC. Every kid Pitt battled for against those defunct teams is now coming here? Or is it equally as likely they'll choose another option they considered which is higher than Pitt in the ACC, or the B1G, or the Big East, or the SEC? Every other team in the ACC isn't equally hoping this somehow provides a windfall for them too? Somehow BC, WF, Clemson, etc. get zero benefit from this while Pitt skyrockets up the standings??

You could make an equally plausible argument that if a school like UL or Miami can't chase 5*s anymore, that they are now competing against Pitt for 4*s and 3*s and our potential ability to sign those guys is now even harder than before the scandal.

Reactions: paulbl99
What makes anyone think that the 'cheating' is going to stop? All these sleazeballs are going to walk the straight and narrow? Yeah right.

Very little is going to change.

Reactions: happjack
Pay the talent

The notion that college athletes should get paid won't work. There is only so many programs that can compete on that level. Probably about half of the P5 schools can't compete on that level, including Pitt. Maybe...and only maybe if you blew up the whole system and instituted some type of revenue sharing would it work amongst the P5 schools.
We all watch other college teams play...as do most fans, but only because our team has foot in the circle. If college sports goes to paying players, do you know how many programs wont be able to compete? You start eliminating the fan bases of some of the lowest P5 schools and then basically ALL of the non-P5 schools, what kind of viewership and TV ratings do you think you will generate? Why would I watch a minor league version of the NFL/NBA when my own college team I root for is not part of the show? Just like no one watches minor league baseball.

What has cheating done for Tennessee or Auburn or Seton Hall or Penn State? You guys make it sound like a title is out there for Pitt to take, but you are citing competing teams that aren't even any good. The charges detailed by the FBI are concerning financial consultants and shoe marketers preying on NBA talent. Those guys aren't targeting 3* recruits and hoping to one day get a shoe deal out of them.

Which guy recruited by Pat Chambers is going to get a shoe deal?

And let's assume that each school you cited gets the death penalty. Pitt is 15th out of 15 in the ACC. Every kid Pitt battled for against those defunct teams is now coming here? Or is it equally as likely they'll choose another option they considered which is higher than Pitt in the ACC, or the B1G, or the Big East, or the SEC? Every other team in the ACC isn't equally hoping this somehow provides a windfall for them too? Somehow BC, WF, Clemson, etc. get zero benefit from this while Pitt skyrockets up the standings??

You could make an equally plausible argument that if a school like UL or Miami can't chase 5*s anymore, that they are now competing against Pitt for 4*s and 3*s and our potential ability to sign those guys is now even harder than before the scandal.

Who said any of this stuff I highlighted? I think you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

I am not even talking Pitt specifically yet you continue to hammer that.

I am talking about putting the majority of college basketball on a more level playing field by trying to take the cheating out of the game.

If you want to mention Pitt specifically, of course kids are not going to pick Pitt today because as you said we are rock bottom in the ACC right now. No one is disputing that but you keep stating otherwise to build up your argument against no one really.

If we are going to talk Pitt, I would point more to the Dixon era to show the disadvantage Pitt was under not today when Pitt is at rock bottom. And frankly I give Dixon more credit than even before for winning at such a high level while maintaining a relatively clean program from all indications. With Dixon, assuming it was a clean program, he was certainly at a disadvantage recruiting when we were at our peak success when schools like Cuse and UConn were cheating around him for the same guys he was going after.

I am talking about putting the majority of college basketball on a more level playing field by trying to take the cheating out of the game.

I am hammering this stupid idea of a "level playing field" because it doesn't exist, has never existed, and will never exist. Pitt is a more attractive program than Duquesne, which is more attractive than RMU. That's not level. UK has fantastic dorms that they offer to athletes which Pitt can't match. That's not level. Syracuse gets 30K fans to show up at the Dome. That's not level.

Just like in MLB, the playing field is not level. The Pirates and Yankees are not equally likely to succeed. Can the Pirates be better than the Yankees every so often? Sure, but that doesn't make it a "level playing field." After the steroid scandals ended, not much changed, and now the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs are all back at the top of the standings. Wow! What a shocker!

I am hammering this stupid idea of a "level playing field" because it doesn't exist, has never existed, and will never exist. Pitt is a more attractive program than Duquesne, which is more attractive than RMU. That's not level. UK has fantastic dorms that they offer to athletes which Pitt can't match. That's not level. Syracuse gets 30K fans to show up at the Dome. That's not level.

Just like in MLB, the playing field is not level. The Pirates and Yankees are not equally likely to succeed. Can the Pirates be better than the Yankees every so often? Sure, but that doesn't make it a "level playing field." After the steroid scandals ended, not much changed, and now the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs are all back at the top of the standings. Wow! What a shocker!

But those differences are within the rules of the sport. No one ever claimed those kind of advantages would go away. No one.

There is a big difference between having a school get an advantage because they draw 30K per game versus paying a kid 150K to come to your school.

Of course schools are going to have in advantages due to Conferences they play in, fan attendance, facilities, etc... Many of those advantages are why the blue blood programs exist today.

But that is not the same thing as flat out cheating paying 100K and 150K to get kids to sign with your school.

Trying to equate them is nonsense. But carry on. You clearly are stretching what people are saying to argue so have at it.

Reactions: gary2
Okay I'll bite. How do you go about doing this?

Here is no effective way to do it outside of small stipends that won't really matter anyway.

Do you really think if star players are given a few hundred a month they still won't go somewhere else offering them 100k lump sum?

What we are saying is if schools no longer cheat, maybe, maybe Pitt gets 1 or 2 difference makers who would have normally gone to cheaters. What if we got 2 of those PSU kids? Durand Scott?

I agree that Dixon tried to play the game above board and he got slammed for not being able to recruit. What I see going forward that relationships between the coaches, media members and the shoe companies will be almost non existent no coach will be wanting to take a vacation on the shoe company dime nor will any AD permit it going forward. I can imagine a position being created within the AD department that serves as a business liaison between the school and the athletic apparel companies and no coach can make any contact with the apparel company.

A billion $ industry built on the talent of teenagers , many many whom don't have 2 dimes to rub together for the 1-4 yrs they are in CBB..

What I have been supporting all along basketball minor leauges just like baseball and hockey!
Some say it will cost the leauges alot of money to set this up? So what pay the players less or the owners make less it doesnt matter its the only answer for those players who have no interest in an education!
This will make room for the serious student athletes!
The same can be set-up for football!

Last edited:

Cancel the one and done non sense, let the individual go to the NBA, D league,Europe etc. and they can receive payment for their service. In addition initiate the 3 year system that allows a college football player to enter the NFL draft after 3years of leaving high school. I am in favor of the NBA and NFL establishing their own minor league system for many of these young FB and BB players have no interest in higher education for their goal is to advance to the next level in their specialty.

Reactions: CbgPanther

No kid is going to flip a coin and pick Pitt over Duke as long as Coach K is still there. If Coach K somehow got caught up in this and ended up being fired and many other top tier coaches, then the playing field does become more level. Kids will go to the teams with the best coaches and some of these other teams will be buried almost forever if this becomes an avalanche. If it only remains Louisville, they will suffer for a while but they easily could be resurrected like Penn State because cheating does count in college sports. And the rest of the team's whose collective sphincters are puckering like mad now will breathe a sigh of relief and be more careful when they go out cheating.

No kid is going to flip a coin and pick Pitt over Duke as long as Coach K is still there. If Coach K somehow got caught up in this and ended up being fired and many other top tier coaches, then the playing field does become more level. Kids will go to the teams with the best coaches and some of these other teams will be buried almost forever if this becomes an avalanche. If it only remains Louisville, they will suffer for a while but they easily could be resurrected like Penn State because cheating does count in college sports. And the rest of the team's whose collective sphincters are puckering like mad now will breathe a sigh of relief and be more careful when they go out cheating.

Without the big time players in college, colleges wont pay the coaches as much and coaches like coach K might move to the NBA !

Top prospects will be playing in the basketball minor leauges right out of HS.

Without the big time players in college, colleges wont pay the coaches as much and coaches like coach K might move to the NBA !

Top prospects will be playing in the basketball minor leauges right out of HS.
This.
They ain't playing for sh!t no more ... in the very near future too.
The model is broken....billions to the Unis and its partners. Nothing to the talent.
It will end.

Pay the talent
That will never happen!
If a basketball minor leauge is set up they'll make more there.
If pay for play is instituted it would come down to a handful of U teams who would be willing and able to pay players.
Most U's ( like PITT) would drop out of D1 /P5 competition.

But less cheating creates a more even playing field. Nobody is saying things would be perfectly even. What is this soapbox you're on right now?

The only real benefit that i see is that hopefully i'll be able to stop reading threads that tell me which AAU team a kid plays for and whether it's affiliated with Adidas or Nike! ;)

But less cheating creates a more even playing field. Nobody is saying things would be perfectly even. What is this soapbox you're on right now?

The soapbox I'm on is that you guys are singing "ding dong the witch is dead" when the final result is going to be negligible. Which schools and which players are you all suggesting Pitt missed out on due to direct payment of recruits?

SMF is convinced that Pat Chambers is paying kids en route to a 15-18 record. Nike is funneling money to these Philly kids to attend PSU (Nike) over Pitt (Nike)? I doubt it. How many NBA draft picks has Chambers churned out?

Everyone wants to point to every recruit we lose and say it is because the other guy must be dirty. Pitt won for a long time when we were competing against dirtier rivals. I really don't care if Auburn cheats or not, that is not what is holding us back.

Auburn was 18-14. Tennessee was 16-16. Miss St was 16-16. Seton Hall was 21-12. These are the teams that you guys feel so cheated by?

Reactions: PA_Panther
The only real benefit that i see is that hopefully i'll be able to stop reading threads that tell me which AAU team a kid plays for and whether it's affiliated with Adidas or Nike! ;)

The sad part is that the brands are so ingrained into the pro level and the AAU level, it is hard to extricate the college level. If Adidas sponsors and AAU team and the unwritten rule is you will go to an Adidas university, I'm not sure that really changes with or without payments. Clearly not every kid is getting paid and it still influences a lot of them, which is puzzling as a fan.

a few will get jail time, but it will be greatly reduced for good behavior.

it will be all over the news.

time will pass and the cheating will continue. so much money available its a reward/risk scenario.

unless sweeping changes are made by the ncaa.

a few will get jail time, but it will be greatly reduced for good behavior.

it will be all over the news.

time will pass and the cheating will continue. so much money available its a reward/risk scenario.

unless sweeping changes are made by the ncaa.

I think it will go down differently.

Noone wants to go to jail especially these guys.

Coaches are facing bribery, possible money laundering, and other charges.

Players who took money have huge tax/penalties/interest liabilities and potential jail time for tax fraud. Alot of these guys are playing in the NBA.

Shoe companies are facing all kinds of charges.

Once the truth train gets moving shoe company executives, coaches and players will begin to "roll" on eachother in exchange for favorable treatment.

Because of the "rolling effect " this will unfold quickly in basketball and will spill over into football!

The threat of jail time and bankrupcy from hugh tax liabilities will make this an easy investigation.

Remember you're dealing with basketball coaches and basketball players not hardened criminals who can endure jail time to avoid ratting on partners in crime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
SMF is convinced that Pat Chambers is paying kids en route to a 15-18 record. Nike is funneling money to these Philly kids to attend PSU (Nike) over Pitt (Nike)? I doubt it. How many NBA draft picks has Chambers churned out?

No one thinks that Nike is paying kids $100,000 to go to PSU. The problem for them is, the kids all talk to each other. The kid who is in trouble for taking $100,000 from Adidas, knows that his 4 star teammate got $20,000 from a car dealer to go to a PSU, Rutgers, Clemson, or some other afterthought type school that is trying to win more games. This type of thing is going to come out.

That will never happen!
If a basketball minor leauge is set up they'll make more there.
If pay for play is instituted it would come down to a handful of U teams who would be willing and able to pay players.
Most U's ( like PITT) would drop out of D1 /P5 competition.
I thought they already did :)

Where schools like Pitt win in a world without pay for play is that maybe some kid actually likes the coaches at Pitt or his friends go there or whatever . Without the incentive $$$$ some schools won't be as attractive . Where ya going ?
Pitt for $0.00 or whatever U for 30k , a car , a job for a relative .

I think it will go down differently.

Noone wants to go to jail especially these guys.

Coaches are facing bribery, possible money laundering, and other charges.

Players who took money have huge tax/penalties/interest liabilities and potential jail time for tax fraud. Alot of these guys are playing in the NBA.

Shoe companies are facing all kinds of charges.

Once the truth train gets moving shoe company executives, coaches and players will begin to "roll" on eachother in exchange for favorable treatment.

Because of the "rolling effect " this will unfold quickly in basketball and will spill over into football!

The threat of jail time and bankrupcy from hugh tax liabilities will make this an easy investigation.

Remember you're dealing with basketball coaches and basketball players not hardened criminals who can endure jail time to avoid ratting on partners in crime.

Minor quibble with your reasoning.. taxes and accrued interest/penalties on $50,000 under the table is nothing for an NBA player or career Euro guy.

It'll be a big deal for star highschoolers who washed out for whatever reason. The ability to pin down those guys is probably what determines whether this turns into a cascade of guys rolling over.

No one thinks that Nike is paying kids $100,000 to go to PSU. The problem for them is, the kids all talk to each other. The kid who is in trouble for taking $100,000 from Adidas, knows that his 4 star teammate got $20,000 from a car dealer to go to a PSU, Rutgers, Clemson, or some other afterthought type school that is trying to win more games. This type of thing is going to come out.

We'll be surprised or not but it will all come out exactly as you mentioned because they all talk to one another and noone wants to be the prison poster boy!

Make it on the surface and regulated.
You can make it cleaner, but you'll never get rid of cheating. I just looked up schools that have gotten the death penalty. One was a Division 3 school that got it for tennis. Plenty of cheating at the Division 2 and 3 level. If they cheat, what hope is there for Division 1?

I don't agree with your logic on this and believe it will help Pitt. First, why did UofL and Arizone pay in the first place? If they didn't have to, the wouldn't.

Second, there are only x amount of openings each year at the blue blood schools. There are far more good players than they take. I'm talking guys that could really help Pitt. Not top 20 guys, but top 100 guys. We're typically not fighting Duke, or UNC, or UK for these guys. We're fighting peer schools like Auburn, Miami, USC, Ok St, etc... Assume Pitt doesn't offer money and 50% of our peer schools do. It makes it harder for Pitt to get these top 100, top 75, or maybe top 50 type guys. Instead, we're stuck with top 200 and top 300 guys. You have a chance to compete with a roster of the former rated players and you have no chance with the latter.

Third, what's going to happen to the recruits? Will kids be so quick to weigh money as a deciding factor?

What makes anyone think that the 'cheating' is going to stop? All these sleazeballs are going to walk the straight and narrow? Yeah right.

Very little is going to change.

Going to jail is much different than getting slapped on the wrist by the NCAA. These aren't gangsters and gang bangers who look at jail time as a badge of honor. These are guys with jobs that pay several hundred thousand dollars per year.

Let's see how this all shakes out before making these assumptions.

Reactions: gary2 and paulbl99
I don't agree with your logic on this and believe it will help Pitt. First, why did UofL and Arizone pay in the first place? If they didn't have to, the wouldn't.

Because they are all competing against each other. Some of the actual crimes cited are Louisville trying to match offers of other blue blood type schools. At the end of the day, that type of cheating really is irrelevant to a Pitt fan because we aren't in that competition to begin with. Why would I care if UL and UA are bidding each other up on a top-10 recruit? Knock yourself out, Sean.

We're fighting peer schools like Auburn, Miami, USC, Ok St, etc... Assume Pitt doesn't offer money and 50% of our peer schools do. It makes it harder for Pitt to get these top 100, top 75, or maybe top 50 type guys. Instead, we're stuck with top 200 and top 300 guys.

I don't personally believe that a #150 recruit is getting paid enough by anyone to the point where Pitt was unable to compete. I believe that there are impermissable benefits galore, but I do not believe 50% of our recruiting competition are offering direct money to players.

This notion is completely offbased. Pitino is probably sub-.500 coach without cheating. He's whole career is based off of cheating. Without cheating he's probably selling used cars decades ago.

This didn't start a few years ago- it stated before 1977 when The U of Hawaii needed to disassociate him from their program for cheating.

Bonds was a great baseball player before he was juiced, we saw that. We never saw Rick Pitino not cheating.

Reactions: pantherscott01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT