ADVERTISEMENT

When Saban Complains About NIL .....

Best quote by Saban
"This is not professional sports," he said. "I mean, we have free agency and no salary cap. That's basically what we have, right? There's no professional league that has that circumstance because none of them are stupid enough to have it, and that's what we have."

Best quote by Saban
"This is not professional sports," he said. "I mean, we have free agency and no salary cap. That's basically what we have, right? There's no professional league that has that circumstance because none of them are stupid enough to have it, and that's what we have."
🤔coming from the million dollar coach that bragged last year about his QB making over a mil.

Saban just needs to STFU.

People realize that Saban’s entire rant to a room full of money was to get them to start paying more, right? That’s all it was. It was the equivalent of Bear Bryant passing his hat around the room and asking the money men, “how much do you want to win?”

I'm old enough to remember when Saban's $3M mortgage was taken care of to keep him from going to Texas.

Maybe you should read the whole story. Or, if you did read it, then you really don’t have a clue what he is talking about.
No Alabama recruit gets a NIL before enrolling.
Please your first post and you kidney punch! Bama has played the bagman to acquire players for years and they were not yet enrolled in school ( using the term "school" loosely with Bama) . They are now in an arms race that their school/state can't compete in!

MLB would like a word

He may have only been talking (incorrectly) about American sports, but none of the top soccer leagues in the world have a salary cap and when someone's contract runs out they are free to sign with whomever they want, in almost any country in the world.

Somehow, soccer remains the most popular game in the world.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
If you're Baldanado or Kancey and you have a great year but are projected to go lower than you'd like, you might as well go to an SEC school for a million bucks for a year. You might even better your draft stock and parlay it into a double whammy.

If you're Baldanado or Kancey and you have a great year but are projected to go lower than you'd like, you might as well go to an SEC school for a million bucks for a year. You might even better your draft stock and parlay it into a double whammy.
Yes. I can foresee a limit on number of years of eligibility getting lifted, perhaps under the guise of age discrimination (since the NCAA is so petrified of any legal action). This will enable guys to continue playing as ‘grad transfers’ with corresponding NIL deals, possibly indefinitely. As long as it is more profitable to do so vs. making oneself available for the NFL.

There have been many guys, especially at places like Pitt, where there are outstanding College players but lack whatever is the mystic ideal physique that the NFL seeks. I think of someone like Petrishen. He was an excellent player for us, a good fit, good in the locker room etc. But realistically he seems not to have a chance in the NFL. Not the right body, no clear position, lacks the burst, whatever you want to cite. It’s actually a shame for both him and for Pitt that he couldn’t just continue playing here.

Possibly but you do risk that you may not play as many snaps and your draft stock drops! Lots of talent on SE teams that see the field less than at non SEC schools. Remember SEC schools current roster is already on payroll!

Possibly but you do risk that you may not play as many snaps and your draft stock drops! Lots of talent on SE teams that see the field less than at non SEC schools. Remember SEC schools current roster is already on payroll!
On the flip side if you have a chance at multiple years of serious NIL money by playing a couple more graduate years, you may ALREADY have secured a very nice nest egg for life, you may have gotten a NC ring (if you transfer to a place like Bama) AND you didn’t have to totally destroy your body via the heightened levels of physicality of the NFL. Its not going to be the choice for everyone but it’s an intriguing alternative.

Yes. I can foresee a limit on number of years of eligibility getting lifted, perhaps under the guise of age discrimination (since the NCAA is so petrified of any legal action). This will enable guys to continue playing as ‘grad transfers’ with corresponding NIL deals, possibly indefinitely. As long as it is more profitable to do so vs. making oneself available for the NFL.

There have been many guys, especially at places like Pitt, where there are outstanding College players but lack whatever is the mystic ideal physique that the NFL seeks. I think of someone like Petrishen. He was an excellent player for us, a good fit, good in the locker room etc. But realistically he seems not to have a chance in the NFL. Not the right body, no clear position, lacks the burst, whatever you want to cite. It’s actually a shame for both him and for Pitt that he couldn’t just continue playing here.

This is a big one for me. I was careful how I worded it, because if I would have said "NIL over being a 6th round pick" someone would have jumped in and said no one who is only a 6th round pick will command big NIL money. But I disagree. There are definitely guys who are equipped to thrive in college but not in the pros. Oscar T. with Kentucky basketball is one. Hell, Pitt basketball built a program out of those types. And guys like Manziel and Tebow (perhaps bad examples, because they did get drafted high) fit that mold. Michael Sam. Eric Crouch, Pat White... these are big-time collegiate talents who are basically the baseball equivalent of Quad A players (can dominate in the minors; don't translate to the pros).

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
Best quote by Saban
Said by the by far highest paid coach who’s university spends more than anyone else .
Think he’ll lead the charge by calling expenses per school and salary cap for coaches ?!?

not on your life

oh hey/ another Aflac commercial to advertise nick saban- because the arms race applies to them, not him

He’s 100% wrong
And he knows it
His kids have been getting paid for his entire tenure under the table -
He doesn’t like losing that advantage
Do you disagree with his comments that NIL should be regulated? Because that is all I am referring to.

No -
If he wants to lead the regulation on coaching salaries and athletic budgets - I’ll start to listen to him
Paying a coach to do his job is way different than a booster paying money to a player for a bogus service. This is pay for play song that is not what NIL is approved to do. Just stop the three yr rule and let players go to the NFL when they want to.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Paying a coach to do his job is way different than a booster paying money to a player for a bogus service. This is pay for play song that is not what NIL is approved to do. Just stop the three yr rule and let players go to the NFL when they want to.
It’s not different at all
Boosters paying the coach vs boosted paying players - is different in which ways ?

the nflpa sets the eligibility - not the ncaa .

Reactions: BreakingPitt
It’s not different at all
Boosters paying the coach vs boosted paying players - is different in which ways ?

the nflpa sets the eligibility - not the ncaa .
There are rules for coaches and players. Coaches are allowed to be paid for their service as the coach. Player is using the NIL are for marketing opportunities and the opportunity needs to be in line with the value and not a pay for play. Do you now see the difference? You may disagree with it but that is the current rule

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
There are rules for coaches and players. Coaches are allowed to be paid for their service as the coach. Player is using the NIL are for marketing opportunities and the opportunity needs to be in line with the value and not a pay for play. Do you now see the difference? You may disagree with it but that is the current rule
What’s the rules related how much coaches get paid, exactly ?!

the players are getting paid for their value of their service - which makes the coach very wealthy .

get the inconsistency yet ?!

You also risk a year of injury while delaying the time it takes you to get to your second NFL contract and qualify for your pension.

ADVERTISEMENT