ADVERTISEMENT

Which ACC coaches would you trade Duzz for?

More likely, flip Mendenhall and Narduzzi. No doubt Pitt wins nine (no way he lets BC run for 260j maybe 10.
Except Mendenhall let Pitt run for exactly 260 yards last season (with Darrin Hall getting 229 and averaging over 12 yards a carry). Last time Mendenhall played BC (2017), he let BC run for 239 yards.

And I should add BC won that 2017 game by a score of 41-10. BC was 7-6 that year, 4-4 in the ACC.

Last edited:
It seems they have Georgia and Clemson on the schedule next year.

No crap. That's what I'm saying. Everything broke their way this year. Best QB ever. Played hated rival at home. Played worst FSU team in decades and 3 cream puffs. You think Mendenhall didn't look better than he is because of that?

He's a good coach but let's not put him on a pedestal. He's literally going to go 3-5 in his next 8 games (Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, 3 creampuffs, Virginia Tech, Clemson).

It seems they have Georgia and Clemson on the schedule next year.

I thought Mendenhall would simply "win because he's a winner." Shouldn't be be able to coach his way to Ws over Clemson, Alabama, @Georgia, @Virginia Tech, and @Clemson?

"He will win regardless of his QB" is an idiotic statement. Mendenhall has improved UVA but there's no coincidence that his best ever team there, and only 9 wins at that, had both their best-ever QB and a very favorable schedule.

But I'm sure "he wins everywhere that's just what he does!" won't look like such a genius next year when he drops 4-5 games next year because they lost Perkins and they play road games against Georgia, Clemson, and Virginia Tech.

UVA is happy they won 9 games this year but it's not going to happen every year, or even often, for them. Mendenhall isn't a genius. He's a 6-9 win coach just like Narduzzi.
Mendenhall has an average win loss record of 8-4 through a 15 year career. He wins twice as many as he loses. I will take that.

I'll bet you any amount of money that UVA doesn't win 9 games next year. Literally anything.

And it's stupid to say "coach X doesn't need good players to win, it'll just happen anyway."

Mendenhall literally went 2-10 at UVA so I don't see why you think it's so automatic that he's going to win without a good QB.
I guess you didn't read my remarks on culture change, style of play, getting players to fit style of play, etc, etc, etc

No crap. That's what I'm saying. Everything broke their way this year. Best QB ever. Played hated rival at home. Played worst FSU team in decades and 3 cream puffs. You think Mendenhall didn't look better than he is because of that?

He's a good coach but let's not put him on a pedestal. He's literally going to go 3-5 in his next 8 games (Clemson, Alabama, Georgia, 3 creampuffs, Virginia Tech, Clemson).
Let's see UVA's record in years when they have a more "normal" schedule.

I remember when Pitt played Oklahoma, UCLA, Notre Dame and PSU every year.

Mendenhall has an average win loss record of 8-4 through a 15 year career. He wins twice as many as he loses. I will take that.

And he's 25-25 at his current school likely headed for something like 6-8 over this post-season and next season. He was basically 8-5 in his last 6 years at BYU. So total he's going to be slightly above .500 over the past decade. I don't care about what someone did at a lower ranked school when George W. Bush was president.

I think he gets credit for coaching on hard mode at UVA but he's nothing earth shattering.

Let's see UVA's record in years when they have a more "normal" schedule.

I remember when Pitt played Oklahoma, UCLA, Notre Dame and PSU every year.

You're backpedaling so hard. Stick up for your boy! He's a winner, right! Mortgage the house on a parlay that they'll beat Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia you coward!

Mendenhall is basically Narduzzi with a longer track record. Usually has a solid, but not talented, team. Bryce Perkins is just a great college QB that put them over the top. He's a transfer from the West Coast and they're unlikely to catch lightening in a bottle like that again. When he's gone, their ceiling is significantly lower.
Not really. Bronco has a far better track record as a HC than Dooz. A bunch of 10-plus win seasons and bowl wins. And his teams have improved each year at UVA.

As for Perkins,

https://www.sports-reference.com/cf...um=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#coaches::none
I'll bet you any amount of money that UVA doesn't win 9 games next year. Literally anything.

And it's stupid to say "coach X doesn't need good players to win, it'll just happen anyway."

Mendenhall literally went 2-10 at UVA so I don't see why you think it's so automatic that he's going to win without a good QB.
Bronco went 2-10 his first year after taking over a really bad 4-8 team. He then went:
  • 2-10
  • 6-7
  • 8-5
  • 9-3 (so far)
He improved his team each year that he coached it. As history has shown, that is a very difficult place to put together a decent football team.

As for Bryce Perkins, Mendenhall went out and found him and got him to UVA. Bringing in good players is a big part of the HC job. I believe UVA was his only offer after his one year of JUCO. He broke his neck at ASU and got lost in the shuffle there. If hitting on a franchise QB is just luck, it seems Pitt is one of the hardest luck teams in the country.

Reactions: BFo8 and gary2
And he's 25-25 at his current school likely headed for something like 6-8 over this post-season and next season. He was basically 8-5 in his last 6 years at BYU. So total he's going to be slightly above .500 over the past decade. I don't care about what someone did at a lower ranked school when George W. Bush was president.

I think he gets credit for coaching on hard mode at UVA but he's nothing earth shattering.
Your record is your record. His is 124-68. Is he trending down? He is Coastal Champ. He was picked to be Coastal champ and he delivered Coastal champ.

You're backpedaling so hard. Stick up for your boy! He's a winner, right! Mortgage the house on a parlay that they'll beat Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia you coward!
There is no need to back pedal on anything. People with active brain cells realize that over scheduling can effect a short window result. Inspite of what may or may not occur in your snapshot, Virginia hired themselves a fine coach. I fully expect success that parallels his previous record.

Except Mendenhall let Pitt run for exactly 260 yards last season (with Darrin Hall getting 229 and averaging over 12 yards a carry). Last time Mendenhall played BC (2017), he let BC run for 239 yards.

And I should add BC won that 2017 game by a score of 41-10. BC was 7-6 that year, 4-4 in the ACC.
Are we discussing 2019 or 2018 or 2017 or 1972?

Pitt was a 10 point favorite over BC. Pitt played poor BC and Miami teams at home and lost this year. With better coaching those losses do not occur.

Not really. Bronco has a far better track record as a HC than Dooz. A bunch of 10-plus win seasons and bowl wins. And his teams have improved each year at UVA.

As for Perkins,

https://www.sports-reference.com/cf...um=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#coaches::none

Bronco went 2-10 his first year after taking over a really bad 4-8 team. He then went:
  • 2-10
  • 6-7
  • 8-5
  • 9-3 (so far)
He improved his team each year that he coached it. As history has shown, that is a very difficult place to put together a decent football team.

As for Bryce Perkins, Mendenhall went out and found him and got him to UVA. Bringing in good players is a big part of the HC job. I believe UVA was his only offer after his one year of JUCO. He broke his neck at ASU and got lost in the shuffle there. If hitting on a franchise QB is just luck, it seems Pitt is one of the hardest luck teams in the country.

Most of Mendenhall's success was during the George W. Bush presidency. He has one 10-win and two 9-win seasons in the past decade. He left BYU after a string of 8-5 years and losing to teams like San Jose State, Utah State, Nevada, Memphis, and 2-10 UVA. He's had 2 bad years at UVA and 2 good years with the second best QB in the conference. Now that guy is gone and UVA isn't recruiting very well, plus they play a juggernaut schedule next year. Let's wait and see before we anoint him.

Mendenhall is not in the top 30 coaches in football. I'm fine with the argument that he's a better coach than Narduzzi given his longer established span of doing it and slightly better results. But Narduzzi has mostly won at Pitt, which isn't an easy place to do so either. I consider both of them to be in about the same caliber of coaches that mostly go 6-8 wins.

There is no need to back pedal on anything. People with active brain cells realize that over scheduling can effect a short window result. Inspite of what may or may not occur in your snapshot, Virginia hired themselves a fine coach. I fully expect success that parallels his previous record.

People with active brain cells know when not to use "effect."

Your record is your record. His is 124-68. Is he trending down? He is Coastal Champ. He was picked to be Coastal champ and he delivered Coastal champ.
I understand your record is your record. Mendenhall's head coaching winning percentage is similar to Dave Doeren's, about 4% higher. Both are higher than Narduzzi's winning percentage. Besides Dabo, I think Scott Saterfield has the highest head coaching winning percentage among current ACC coaches (higher than Mack Brown, though much smaller sample size).

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I understand your record is your record. Mendenhall's head coaching winning percentage is similar to Dave Doeren's, about 4% higher. Both are higher than Narduzzi's winning percentage. Besides Dabo, I think Scott Saterfield has the highest head coaching winning percentage among current ACC coaches (higher than Mack Brown, though much smaller sample size).

I'm sure UVA is thrilled to know that they won the Mountain West in 2006 and 2007!

Bronco's best year is 9-4 (assuming loss to Clemson) and probably a loss to Alabama in the Orange Bowl to go 9-5. They beat 1 good team (Virginia Tech) and caught FSU in a down year. OOC was ODU, William & Mary, and Liberty. And all of this is with Bryce Perkins, who is hands-down their best skill-position player of the past 30+ years.

Bronco's best year is literally the same as Narduzzi was in 2015, 2016, and 2018, except he played 3 joke teams instead of Penn State/Oklahoma State/UCF.

Of course forgetting his BYU track record and that he had to do a total rebuild at UVA.

Mendenhall coaches old style. Discipline, Fundamentals, few mental mistakes, physical football, defense and field position emphasis. A culture chane for sure.

This style is not exciting, but it wins for him.

so Narduzzi is basically an awful version of Mendenhall...not exciting, undisciplined, while focusing on defense.

Take a look at Mack’s resume next to Narduzzi’s. I believe there’s a national championship on it.

Would you care to amend your answer?

Nope - no need to amend the answer. Something that happened 14 years ago is not relevant today. I don't want a 68 year old senior citizen as a coach. He just is not at the same level any more. This is a list based on TODAY, not on nostalgia

Nope - no need to amend the answer. Something that happened 14 years ago is not relevant today. I don't want a 68 year old senior citizen as a coach. He just is not at the same level any more

You want someone without a dial up modem and someone who is atleast at the email level of modern electronic communication.

The one benefit of the old guys is they're not going to get themselves in hot water sending naked pictures or body part pictures on snap chat.

And he's 25-25 at his current school

That's exceptional compared to Mike London who I believe had 5 losing seasons in 6 years and was quite under .500. Edit: 27-46 to be exact.

UVA is the toughest job in the coastal.

That's exceptional compared to Mike London who I believe had 5 losing seasons in 6 years and was quite under .500. Edit: 27-46 to be exact.

It is ridiculous to suggest that. coach of fifteen years who has won nearly two thirds of his games, was only successful this season because he got lucky with a QB and schedule. Minus said QB, he is toast. Is that a fair recap? Does that make any sense?

People always make this mistake. A coach wins 8 games at Iowa State and they're like "oh so what" not realizing that's like as hard or harder than winning 12 at USC.

It is ridiculous to suggest that. coach of fifteen years who has won nearly two thirds of his games, was only successful this season because he got lucky with a QB and schedule. Minus said QB, he is toast. Is that a fair recap? Does that make any sense?

You're misrepresenting what I said. I said it's no coincidence that Mendenhall's best seasons at UVA more-or-less matched Narduzzi's best seasons: 1) when Mendenhall had a super weak OOC; and 2) the best QB in school history.

Mendenhall is a good coach. UVA is a hard place to win. Mendenhall got rocked there for 2 years and looked a lot better with a great QB and easy schedule. Next year he has neither, and I expect him to come back to the 6-7 win range.

Beyond 2020, UVA's recruiting has not been good enough for me to believe he will be racking up 8+ win seasons there every year. Even getting 8 wins at a place like UVA is good. But that puts him in company with several other ACC coaches, who are in similar situations, that most don't think that highly of.

I would trade him for Dabo, but not sure anyone else. He frustrates the hell out of me, but I think he has us on the verge of turning the corner.

Hail to Pitt!

Sweeney, Fuentes, Cutcliff, Satterfield, Babers, Brown, Clawson and Mendenhal

Dave

I think it’s significant that Bronco’s team has improved each year since year 1.

Take a look at Mack’s resume next to Narduzzi’s. I believe there’s a national championship on it.

Would you care to amend your answer?
So does Phil Fulmer, I would not want him right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT