ADVERTISEMENT

Which school's running backs have gained the most rushing yards total in the pros?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Which school's running backs have gained the most rushing yards total in the pros? The answer might surprise you. Check out where Pitt ranks.

Pitt's trio of running backs Curtis Martin, Tony Dorsett and LeSean McCoy have gained the most of any school's trio rushing - 37,911 yards. Miami's trio of Frank Gore, Edgerrin James and O.J. Anderson trail by only 45 yards - 37,866. Gore may put Miami's trio past Pitt's trio this upcoming football season.

https://johnbaranowski.wordpress.com/2020/03/10/which-school-is-running-back-u/

Last edited:
I would assume that USC has the aggregate total simply because they've had so many guys play here and there. Obviously OJ and Marcus Allen are the big ones and Reggie Bush is a tier or two down but they have a ton of guys like LenDale White and Ronald Jones who have had a few productive seasons.

I would assume that USC has the aggregate total simply because they've had so many guys play here and there. Obviously OJ and Marcus Allen are the big ones and Reggie Bush is a tier or two down but they have a ton of guys like LenDale White and Ronald Jones who have had a few productive seasons.

Miami - Frank Gore, Edge James, Otis Anderson all 10,000+. Willis McGahee
Which school's running backs have gained the most rushing yards total in the pros? The answer might surprise you. Check out where Pitt ranks.

Pitt's trio of running backs Curtis Martin, Tony Dorsett and LeSean McCoy have gained the most of any school's trio rushing - 37,911 yards. Miami's trio of Frank Gore, Edgerrin James and O.J. Anderson trail by only 45 yards - 37,866. Gore may put Miami's trio past Pitt's trio this upcoming football season.

Also Clinton Portis has 9,900+ yards and Willis McGahee with over 8000.

Pitt is first when you only count top 3. 10th overall. The U is first overall.

Pitt is first when you only count top 3. 10th overall. The U is first overall.
It is tough to compete with them....besides those 5 they also have Chuck Foreman with 5,900+ and Lamar Miller with 5,600+ and still active. Our next after McCoy is Ironhead with 4,300+, Kevin Barlow with 3,900+ and Randy MacMillan with 3,800+. Nice representation but of course Miami in all time alumni NFL yards tops us significantly.

Reactions: wbrpanther
It is tough to compete with them....besides those 5 they also have Chuck Foreman with 5,900+ and Lamar Miller with 5,600+ and still active. Our next after McCoy is Ironhead with 4,300+, Kevin Barlow with 3,900+ and Randy MacMillan with 3,800+. Nice representation but of course Miami in all time alumni NFL yards tops us significantly.
I used to think I knew where most of the big name players went to school but just learned Chuck Foreman went to Miami. I can even remember where most of the 70's Panthers were from. Bill Hillgrove always made a point to say where the players were from during the broadcasts.

As of a few years ago there was a great trivia question. There are 5 schools who have 2 players each among the top 20 all time NFL rushing leaders. What schools and who were the players?

ADVERTISEMENT