ADVERTISEMENT

Which schools that Pitt doesn’t play, would you like to see come to Heinz Field?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Which schools that Pitt doesn’t play, would you like to see come to Heinz Field? For those that do not attend every home game, which schools would you make the trip to Heinz Field to watch play Pitt?

I know some of you travel a good distance to get to Heinz Field and I’m fortunate in that I’m less than an hour from Heinz Field. I’m a big fan of Thursday night games as I work downtown and I’m already in town, a night game atmosphere and I’ll take the next day off for a 3-day weekend but I realize not everyone can do that.

Obviously, more casual Pitt fans show up for Penn State, Notre Dame and West Virginia and a large contingent of their fans come to Heinz Field and those games are well attended. At some point obviously, Florida State will return to Heinz Field and Clemson will eventually visit Pittsburgh for the first time. Penn State returns to Heinz Field in 2018, Notre Dame in 2020, Tennessee is coming in 2022, and West Virginia in 2022 and 2024.

The teams I would love to see come or return to Heinz Field (and granted scheduling some are even beyond a pipe dream as it takes two to tango and now with so many conference games):

Alabama (has never played Pitt) - Joe Namath would be in the house, honorary captain for Bama.
Auburn (has never played Pitt, Auburn visited WVU in October 2008)
Clemson (has never visited Pitt) but we know they will eventually.
Georgia (has never visited Pitt)
Florida (has never visited Pitt, Florida visited Rutgers in 1986 and Syracuse in 1991)
Florida State
LSU (has never played Pitt, LSU visited WVU in September 2011 and visited Syracuse in 2015)
Michigan (has never played at Pitt)
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Penn State
Tennessee
Texas
USC
West Virginia
Wisconsin (only visit to Pitt 1937)

Some schools that have visited Heinz Field and/or Pitt Stadium with that game’s attendance:

Baylor – September 1973 28,332
Florida State – September 2013 65,500
Iowa – September 2014 48,895
Michigan State – September 2006 47,956
Minnesota – September 1992 31,129
Nebraska – September 2004 40,133
Notre Dame – November 2015 68,400
Ohio State – September 1995 54,917
Oklahoma – September 1984 40,075
Penn State – September 2016 69,983
South Carolina – October 1985 37,277
Texas – September 1994 32,337
UCLA – September 1972 24,315
USC – September 1974 52,934
West Virginia – November 2010 60,562

So which schools that Pitt doesn’t play, would you like to see come to Heinz Field?

Nebraska was weird. You would think that would have been a better crowd. But Nebraska was pretty mediocre then and that was the day after some of the worst flooding the region has seen for over 30 years.

Nebraska was weird. You would think that would have been a better crowd. But Nebraska was pretty mediocre then and that was the day after some of the worst flooding the region has seen for over 30 years.
Such a strange game. Sunny and nice but the region was in turmoil from flooding. Came down the parkway west to the game and all of freaking Carnegie was under water. Once there, the river was almost up to the main gate, couldn't see most of the amphitheatre steps.

Such a strange game. Sunny and nice but the region was in turmoil from flooding. Came down the parkway west to the game and all of freaking Carnegie was under water. Once there, the river was almost up to the main gate, couldn't see most of the amphitheatre steps.

Forgot the opponent, but I remember that day well... flooding everywhere from prior day's storms, but barely a cloud in the sky. We sat in upper deck near the open end and the sun had a blinding glare off of the flood waters all game. We all ended up with a weird half-face sunburn.

I recall mid-game that a broken pier floated past the stadium with about a dozen private boats still attached to it.

Reactions: eastcoasthoops
Nebraska fans near us thought the sight of the Fox Chapel Marina sailing into Point Park was quite entertaining.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Maryland, USCe, Georgia, Florida, tOSU, MI St., and Rutgers. The two Big 10 teams only because Pitt recruits in their backyard. The rest of the teams are also in Pitt's recruiting footprint, but I'd also like to see those teams.

I would like to see the ACC, SEC and B1G enter into a scheduling agreement that essentially guarantees a home and away game against the other two conferences every year. Fix the rivalry games as one--Georgia/GT, Florida/FSU, Clemson/SC, Pitt/Penn State (ahem), etc.--and get one more if you have a traditional rival. The rest get two every year. This works a lot easier if ND joins ACC and all conferences set the lower number of conference games. That would give Pitt a variety for the foreseeable future. Sure, you get Vandy--but you also get Michigan, MichState, Auburn, etc. over 20-30 years. Also, stuffs PAC and Big12 on scheduling big time out of conference and TV would be solid for much of the games (with conference networks keeping the lower tier matchups).

With existing game agreements and conference autonomy, I'm not holding my breath for anything like this anytime soon.

Arizona St.- as long as the FRAUD is still trying to put the hammer down.
Arizona- loved wearing my 13-9 t-shirt ( sweet memories )
Whisky- just to show Chryst how build a defense

Reactions: EaseJesus
what difference does it make?

Pederson scheduled home games with Mich State, Tex A & M, Nebraska and there still were 20,000 yellow seats.

Our fan base sucks....and quite frankly....except for the diehard fans on this message board, Pittsburgh doesnt deserve a game against Bama, or Florida or USC.....

Forgot the opponent, but I remember that day well... flooding everywhere from prior day's storms, but barely a cloud in the sky. We sat in upper deck near the open end and the sun had a blinding glare off of the flood waters all game. We all ended up with a weird half-face sunburn.

I recall mid-game that a broken pier floated past the stadium with about a dozen private boats still attached to it.
We sat in our seats and watched a large Fed-Ex truck float down the river past the stadium.....

what difference does it make?

Pederson scheduled home games with Mich State, Tex A & M, Nebraska and there still were 20,000 yellow seats.

Our fan base sucks....and quite frankly....except for the diehard fans on this message board, Pittsburgh doesnt deserve a game against Bama, or Florida or USC.....

Yeah, you're right.... Let's schedule YSU, Akron, Villanova, and Toledo. That way we can have 35,000 yellow seats instead of 20,000 yellow seats...

Ideal OOC schedule for me would be Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame every year and then a rotating opponent such as: Texas, Navy, Florida, USC, Michigan.

Yeah, we'd get killed but...

Ideal OOC schedule for me would be Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame every year and then a rotating opponent such as: Texas, Navy, Florida, USC, Michigan.

Yeah, we'd get killed but...
You could pretty much keep us bowl eligible at 6-6 with this schedule. I'd rather schedule at least a few guaranteed wins to artificially stay at 8-4 or better.

It kind of baffles me how people seem to rather want to see some stud team come to town and blow Pitt out than see a win? FSU in '13 was horrible, a bad memory. I'd rather watch then beat YSU than get pummeled like they did that day.

Reactions: Section137
I'd prefer to have a permanent series:home/away with Notre Dame again. Replace one of the ooc doormats with a series with Iowa. The games between us and Iowa were always close and they are a P5 team.

You could pretty much keep us bowl eligible at 6-6 with this schedule. I'd rather schedule at least a few guaranteed wins to artificially stay at 8-4 or better.

It kind of baffles me how people seem to rather want to see some stud team come to town and blow Pitt out than see a win? FSU in '13 was horrible, a bad memory. I'd rather watch then beat YSU than get pummeled like they did that day.

But you got to see the team that won the national championship, and the Heisman Trophy winner. That's far more memorable than a win over YSU, and Pitt actually gave FSU one of their tougher games that year and one of the few times they were behind all season IIRC.

Reactions: bjcarroll9

it baffles me how a pitt fan, probably one that complains about yellow seats, would actually propose scheduling more FCS scrimmages and boring matchups with rice. honestly, I cant for the life of me understand this mindset.. why a pitt fan, a college football fan, would be against a matchup of 2 P5 teams.. Why a pitt fan would be against seeing a competitive matchup at Heinz with psu, ok state or a comparable opponent. I cant for the life of me believe that a pitt fan would truly want to play akron over Oklahoma state.. I try and I seriously cant understand how this is possible..

pitt vs ysu is a complete waste of a day. nothing, NOTHING good comes from these scrimmages.. I take that back, it's a Saturday to come out and tailgate a pitt and watch pitt practice, still not a waste but as close as you can get..

Reactions: pittmeister
But you got to see the team that won the national championship, and the Heisman Trophy winner. That's far more memorable than a win over YSU, and Pitt actually gave FSU one of their tougher games that year and one of the few times they were behind all season IIRC.
Pitt did not, by any means, give FSU a tough game. They won by 28 points! Jameis Winston tore Pitt's defense to shreds. Most dominant performance I've ever seen in person. He had two incompletions, and I think both of them were drops if I'm remembering correctly.

Pitt did not, by any means, give FSU a tough game. They won by 28 points! Jameis Winston tore Pitt's defense to shreds. Most dominant performance I've ever seen in person. He had two incompletions, and I think both of them were drops if I'm remembering correctly.
yeah, it wasn't close.. Winston had 2 incompletions, one was out of bounds (barely) and I think the other was almost an interception. still take a game against a competitive team than a garbage scrimmage...

I just don't understand the mindset of wanting more garbage games, especially being in the ACC coastal and having Syracuse as our cross-rival. I don't understand being afraid of playing P5 teams.. if pitt stunk, OK, I could see it. but don't you want to see if pitt is a good program, how they measure up? If they lose and cant compete with other good P5 teams, then that means we are not a good program. why would a pitt fan want to mask or cover this up? what good does that do

we almost had it, under Pederson but chose Utah instead.. Hearing this on radio, I almost wrecked my car. in Pedey's defense, it was a good decision. Utah could do a home and home back to back, Michigan wanted pitt to play there and wouldn't play at Heinz til a few years later..

yeah, it wasn't close.. Winston had 2 incompletions, one was out of bounds (barely) and I think the other was almost an interception. still take a game against a competitive team than a garbage scrimmage...

I just don't understand the mindset of wanting more garbage games, especially being in the ACC coastal and having Syracuse as our cross-rival. I don't understand being afraid of playing P5 teams.. if pitt stunk, OK, I could see it. but don't you want to see if pitt is a good program, how they measure up? If they lose and cant compete with other good P5 teams, then that means we are not a good program. why would a pitt fan want to mask or cover this up? what good does that do
I'd love to see Ohio State, LSU or USC come to town. I'm with you. I'm looking forward to the OK State game big time love having a top 15 program in town.

I'd love to see Ohio State, LSU or USC come to town. I'm with you. I'm looking forward to the OK State game big time love having a top 15 program in town.
no on tosu boys, trust me. they will take over Heinz. psu and wvu say they bring 25k and bring 10k.. tosu is opposite, they say they'll bring 10k and in reality bring 25k.

I'd love lsu just so we could play them at their place, hopefully on a Saturday night.

But you got to see the team that won the national championship, and the Heisman Trophy winner.

Not to me! I'd rather see my team win! I come away from a game like that demoralized wishing I hadn't gone. I don't want to see good opponents, I'd rather see a win no matter who it's against.

it baffles me how a pitt fan, probably one that complains about yellow seats, would actually propose scheduling more FCS scrimmages and boring matchups with rice. honestly, I cant for the life of me understand this mindset.. why a pitt fan, a college football fan, would be against a matchup of 2 P5 teams.. Why a pitt fan would be against seeing a competitive matchup at Heinz with psu, ok state or a comparable opponent. I cant for the life of me believe that a pitt fan would truly want to play akron over Oklahoma state.. I try and I seriously cant understand how this is possible..

pitt vs ysu is a complete waste of a day. nothing, NOTHING good comes from these scrimmages.. I take that back, it's a Saturday to come out and tailgate a pitt and watch pitt practice, still not a waste but as close as you can get..

I don't want to see all bad teams, but HELL YES I want some easy, guaranteed wins. And I don't really want guaranteed losses either. Like I'd be OK with an Oklahoma St where it's maybe 50/50, but no, I'm not really interested in seeing a 99% sure blowout loss to 'Bama,

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I don't want to see all bad teams, but HELL YES I want some easy, guaranteed wins. And I don't really want guaranteed losses either. Like I'd be OK with an Oklahoma St where it's maybe 50/50, but no, I'm not really interested in seeing a 99% sure blowout loss to 'Bama,
but you are missing the point, we already have easy wins, many of them, on our schedule. I am not gonna say "guaranteed" because nohing is guaranteed. I will say that we have a schedule littered with mediocrity.. I agree with you on Bama, I scream about harder schedule but even I want no parts of bama..

I know that I will be pumped beyond belief, all week long, leading into that pitt-Ok state matchup. I won't be able to sleep the night before.. The week or night before pitt vs. rice, i'll sleep fine.. maybe that makes me a bad fan. I know I will be at the game and after, I will re-watch it on TV (barring a disaster of course). the rice game, when Root re-airs it on sunday evening, well i'll be watching something else.

but you are missing the point, we already have easy wins, many of them, on our schedule. I am not gonna say "guaranteed" because nohing is guaranteed. I will say that we have a schedule littered with mediocrity.. I agree with you on Bama, I scream about harder schedule but even I want no parts of bama..

I know that I will be pumped beyond belief, all week long, leading into that pitt-Ok state matchup. I won't be able to sleep the night before.. The week or night before pitt vs. rice, i'll sleep fine.. maybe that makes me a bad fan. I know I will be at the game and after, I will re-watch it on TV (barring a disaster of course). the rice game, when Root re-airs it on sunday evening, well i'll be watching something else.
Seriously we have two of the weakest P5 teams on our schedule every year. Virginia and Syracuse suck. We don't have a blue blood in our division either so unless Florida State or Clemson is our crossover opponent our conference schedule lacks big-time opponents most years.

Reactions: Swervin27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT