ADVERTISEMENT

Which Stadium Would You Prefer?

Which Stadium Would You Prefer?

• 45k Seat Stadium With No Frills on Campus

Votes: 92 65.2%
  • Heinz Field

Votes: 49 34.8%

• Total voters
We likely missed the boat on tarping (of course). Should have started it when attendance was stronger and there was more demand. Now it's going to look just as bad when we can't even sell out a tarped stadium.

If the field was tarped would PITT be allowed to sell space for advertising, and receive the revenue?
Or would the owners of Heinz field get the advertising revenue on the Tarps?
With nationally televised games, and the ACC network televising games advertising revenues on stadium tarps could be worth more these days.

Last edited:
Really? Listen, im the last person to defend Heinz. but logistically speaking, i think it's quite easy to get into, from the south hills at least. west end, get off and wrap around the science center and voila. Cant imagine coming in from parkway east is bad, outside of the squirrel hill tunnels but that's always the case, damn people slowing dahn and all. MAINTAIN SPEED THRU TUNNELS..

north too, got a ton of exits. but hey, im no expert..
Very easy to get to from the North. 30 minutes from Cranberry to the lot, In seats in 10 minutes, on HOV home while Hillgrove is on the radio.

You forgot one. They also think that the coaches and administrators should be willing to break the rules and even do things that are illegal in an effort to provide them with a more entertaining experience.
No it's for them, not the fans, if they cheat and the team becomes a big winner, they can parlay that into big money for themselves personally in the form of bigger contracts or bigger paydays elsewhere.

Tarp the upper end zone and a couple sections on either side of the upper bowl - say from the end zone to the 20.

If done right, you can make it look attractive

Screen_Shot_2016_12_29_at_2.48.57_PM.0.png

McAfee_Coliseum_%2815993646150%29_%28Mount_Davis%29.jpg

DOMYw2JUEAAxg2s.jpg
But why bother paying for the tarps, why not just shut off those sections and only sell tickets where you want to. It would be smarter to not sell those sections in advance and then open them up for walk up sales after you sell all the seats in the open sections, even right up to kickoff.

No, because the most effective boosters do it under the table. Supplying unmarked untraceable cash, cars, bling, electronics, poon, drugs, etc. Not to mention phony jobs to family members and "handlers". Paying the tuition surreptitiously for the girlfriends, posse friends, etc. Houses for mom and Escalade for dad. So on, so forth.

Some of this stuff is needed to get coaches too, and even Pitt can attest, because Pitt had to swallow hard after the Haywood debacle and tap into some high end donors to come to the rescue to secure Hot Toddy. No doubt to buy out Stallings too. You me and Pitt79 (well, not him) werent tapped for these things. The PittOhio CEO no doubt was.

This is what gets the best players in, then the team becomes great, wins big, THEN the regular Joe's start giving legit donations, which are great above the table and help perpetuate the success. But such money can't go to that stuff above. Only tycoon types have the largess but equally importantly the labyrinth network to make that stuff happen invisibly (and sometimes not so invisibly, but the NCAA doesn't even pretend to care anymore).

It's too unsavory for Pitt to throw in behind (unless the execs are looking to save their asses after a huge blunder, as explained above). But is absolutely what it takes.
Yes. The dark money is the money needed to deliver players, make sweetheart deals with coaches. I always say, some of these cats, if they buy these decked out $250-400K RV's for the explicit purpose of partying 10-12 times at where their college TV is playing, then these same people aren't averse to throwing out some "spending money" to key players to get them to play for their schools.

Reactions: WC Panther
I should take pics and show you how crowded the club is during games. People go to the game and sit in the club smdh.

The simplest solution is to just tarp the upper deck opposite the camera. Bring the capacity down to about 50k or so. Then focus the TV cameras on the side that is filled to capacity.

The ideal solution is a nice 45k seat multipurpose facility on the OC Lot.

Tarping has done wonders for the USF program at Raymond James. You simpletons that support tarping must be fooled by guys that wear a toupe. It is not a better look, it fools nobody, and will not improve the atmosphere. Figure out a way to fill Heinz, or find/build a place that is appropriate....are the correct answers. Hail to Pitt!

Tarping has done wonders for the USF program at Raymond James. You simpletons that support tarping must be fooled by guys that wear a toupe. It is not a better look, it fools nobody, and will not improve the atmosphere. Figure out a way to fill Heinz, or find/build a place that is appropriate....are the correct answers. Hail to Pitt!
It would make a big impact (perception) for the people watching it on TV, it would cause more of a demand for tickets by reducing the supply, and generate more crowd noise by bringing the fans closer to the field and more inclined to cheer if others around them are doing the same thing.

The current situation is broken, and something needs to be done.

Reactions: superstein61a

I usually agree with you on most subjects but not this time. Your answers are unachievable in the foreseeable future, if ever. We are married to HF, period. So what do you do to make oversized facility somewhat of an asset instead of the recruiting liability it is? And winning starts with recruiting.

Tarping is the easiest way to right size the stadium. And with sponsorship it may be a rather inexpensive way to get it done. If the administration ever has the stones to implement it, an admission at the start of the season that the university is merely attempting to size the stadium to our fanbase is all that is needed and we move on. There is no need to "fool anybody'.

Will it work? Hell if I know, but the status quo is unacceptable unless you are happy with 6-7-8 wins we have all grown accustomed to. What's the harm in trying?

OK, but you get my point.

Sports program donations that really matter come from billionaire alumni who want buildings named after them, take the donations from 50000 middle class Pitt alumni and that doesn't add up to squat.

That is the old school of fundraising thinking. New school is getting as many people as possible to give small gifts (mostly via the Internet). Obviously the "whales" are still important...but they are few in number and everyone is seeking their money. Pitt needs to greatly increase their donor base, even if it is $100 per donor. Be certain, money in college athletics ABSOLUTELY makes a difference. Pitt is toward the bottom of the ACC in athletic fundraising. Pitt must, and can up its game. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: PittFamily2
I usually agree with you on most subjects but not this time. Your answers are unachievable in the foreseeable future, if ever. We are married to HF, period. So what do you do to make oversized facility somewhat of an asset instead of the recruiting liability it is? And winning starts with recruiting.

Tarping is the easiest way to right size the stadium. And with sponsorship it may be a rather inexpensive way to get it done. If the administration ever has the stones to implement it, an admission at the start of the season that the university is merely attempting to size the stadium to our fanbase is all that is needed and we move on. There is no need to "fool anybody'.

Will it work? Hell if I know, but the status quo is unacceptable unless you are happy with 6-7-8 wins we have all grown accustomed to. What's the harm in trying?

Look, getting a right-sized stadium is a long shot...I know that. I was one of the people on here that preached, pleaded and begged them not to tear down Pitt Stadium....as it would nearly eliminate options for Pitt [if Heinz were not to be a run away success or the Steelers were to move to the Burbs when they tire of Heinz]. There will be a feasibility study done on an "on campus" facility--be certain about that. Will one be built? Who knows....but I also never thought Pitt would have the means or will to invest $300+ million in Olympic sports facilities either. Name a successful college program that has tarped and has turned around their fortunes? There are none. Better to concentrate on winning and trying to fill the stadium we have until 2030. By the way, tarping does not "right size the stadium" unless you believe in fairy tales....it is still the very same stadium with the very same acoustics, etc. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Look, getting a right-sized stadium is a long shot...I know that. I was one of the people on here that preached, pleaded and begged them not to tear down Pitt Stadium....as it would nearly eliminate options for Pitt [if Heinz were not to be a run away success or the Steelers were to move to the Burbs when they tire of Heinz]. There will be a feasibility study done on an "on campus" facility--be certain about that. Will one be built? Who knows....but I also never thought Pitt would have the means or will to invest $300+ million in Olympic sports facilities either. Name a successful college program that has tarped and has turned around their fortunes? There are none. Better to concentrate on winning and trying to fill the stadium we have until 2030. By the way, tarping does not "right size the stadium" unless you believe in fairy tales....it is still the very same stadium with the very same acoustics, etc. Hail to Pitt!
What is the incentive for fringe Pitt fans to buy tickets before the season begins? They could literally wait until the day before any game and decide not to buy tickets for a variety of reasons. If you tarp Heinz down to 50k, and have 1 or 2 good opponents at home then you could sell out season ticket packages. People that buy tickets are more inclined to attend the game or pass the ticket onto someone else.

What is the incentive for fringe Pitt fans to buy tickets before the season begins? They could literally wait until the day before any game and decide not to buy tickets for a variety of reasons. If you tarp Heinz down to 50k, and have 1 or 2 good opponents at home then you could sell out season ticket packages. People that buy tickets are more inclined to attend the game or pass the ticket onto someone else.

Not a lot of evidence to support your theory. Pitt has tons of no-show season ticket holders in both football and basketball [other than the "big" games]. Even in the heyday of Pitt basketball, the Pete was more than half empty before the Big East teams came to town. Season tickets are frankly quite cheap. If Pitt limited its sale of season tickets to 50,000, regardless of whether the stadium is tarped or not...it is not going to significantly change the situation at Heinz. Ever been to a Seton Hall basketball game? They hang curtains to "hide" the upper deck in the Prudential Center...which they do not sell. Ticket prices have not gone up, nor has the atmosphere improved. Look to USF for a college football example. It is impossible to create artificial demand for Pitt football. They tried decoupling basketball, football and parking donations [in an effort to increase donations]....did not work, donations are down. Our AD is trying hard...but she has not been dealt a lot of good cards. Give it a few more years...and if the situation has not improved...Pitt will be looking for more than a new football coach. Hail to Pitt!

It has been pretty well proven that winning relates very much to increased donations over anything else.
Yes.
I guess that goes without saying when the mass fanbase is supporting the program the program is usually a winning program.

Like what? What are the frills you want? Just curious?

I guess we should ask the OP what frills are to him. To me, huge scoreboard at each endzone, wide variety of foods, mounted flat screen tvs at both ends of each concession stand and in the restrooms too, cup holders for every seat, working Wifi, self-refill soda dispensers, and a retractable roof. That's off the top of my head.

Reactions: PittFamily2
I guess we should ask the OP what frills are to him. To me, huge scoreboard at each endzone, wide variety of foods, mounted flat screen tvs at both ends of each concession stand and in the restrooms too, cup holders for every seat, working Wifi, self-refill soda dispensers, and a retractable roof. That's off the top of my head.
Valet parking that is a must.

No it's for them, not the fans, if they cheat and the team becomes a big winner, they can parlay that into big money for themselves personally in the form of bigger contracts or bigger paydays elsewhere.

Given what you have posted here in the past, you can't really think that anyone is buying this, do you?

Reactions: Ski11585
A compelling counter point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT