ADVERTISEMENT

Which University produces the top NFL talent? PFF says Pitt

How so?

You totally missed the thread. It is about Pitt being #NFLU. That is the goal a kid has going to a university for any profession... to leave and be successful in the field they want to pursue. Clearly we are at the top. That is the prize. Beating the national champion Clemson team on the road, or an overrated team at home (Miami, PSU) is the consolation prize.

It is fun seeing Pitt players perform well on Sundays. Unfortunately the coaches who recruited and developed those 5 players mentioned aren't here anymore so it isn't much of a recruiting tool. Unless you can convince the high school players it is something in the Pittsburgh water.

Reactions: Jpripper88
How so?

You totally missed the thread. It is about Pitt being #NFLU. That is the goal a kid has going to a university for any profession... to leave and be successful in the field they want to pursue. Clearly we are at the top. That is the prize. Beating the national champion Clemson team on the road, or an overrated team at home (Miami, PSU) is the consolation prize.

I realize you are trying to insult PSU and Miami, but by calling them overrated, don't you think you diminish the Pitt victory?

Reactions: BBrown
It is fun seeing Pitt players perform well on Sundays. Unfortunately the coaches who recruited and developed those 5 players mentioned aren't here anymore so it isn't much of a recruiting tool. Unless you can convince the high school players it is something in the Pittsburgh water.

Of course it is a recruiting tool.

So, LBU isnt a recruiting tool? Notre Dame cant recruit based on their tradition? It certainly is a recruiting tool.

You think Narduzzi doesnt tell a DT to come to Pitt over school B because we have made solid linemen like Aaron Donald and they have... well, no one? You bet.

Reactions: JokePa

So, LBU isnt a recruiting tool? Notre Dame cant recruit based on their tradition? It certainly is a recruiting tool.

You think Narduzzi doesnt tell a DT to come to Pitt over school B because we have made solid linemen like Aaron Donald and they have... well, no one? You bet.
A lot of these kids are dumb, sure, but no, that shouldn't carry almost any weight with them. This stuff didn't have anything to do with Aaron Donald. I'm sure they point out players they did help develop here and at MSU and other places, but other than selling "you can be an absolute stud NFL player if you come to Pitt, even if we don't win" there isn't much there.

It is great to have awesome pros like Donald and Fitz, but the insinuation we provide the best NFL opportunity in college football and are NFLU is ridiculous and just makes those claiming it sound like morons. Crazy, out of touch, morons.

An intelligent recruit might wonder why a team with so many NFL players and so many players invited to the Combine has had such lackluster W/L records. Advertising can be tricky.

I really dont care at each. It is was it is. They were overrated, we were underrated... whatever.

Well, if you will recall, Penn State was unranked in the 2016 preseason polls. Pitt got a number of votes in some of the preseason polls, while Penn State got none. Pitt was favored by 4.5 points going into that game, as well.

Well, if you will recall, Penn State was unranked in the 2016 preseason polls. Pitt got a number of votes in some of the preseason polls, while Penn State got none. Pitt was favored by 4.5 points going into that game, as well.

And?

We get it, you are a fan. Doesnt make them any less overrated.

Must be hard going through life as your own worst enemy.

Fact: Pitt was favored in that game.

Fact: Pitt won that game.

It doesn't take a "fan" or a "Nitter" to realize that Pitt wasn't the underdog, and PSU wasn't "overrated" going into that game. It does take basic skills in reasoning, perhaps, and I suspect you are lacking in those.

At any rate, you can claim tremendous great upsets as somehow suggesting that the staff or the team or whatever are capable of god-like elevations beyond their natural ability, but that game wasn't one of them. It was merely a solid win by the team that was the bettor's favorites to win.

Why is that so hard for you to digest?

A lot of these kids are dumb, sure, but no, that shouldn't carry almost any weight with them. This stuff didn't have anything to do with Aaron Donald. I'm sure they point out players they did help develop here and at MSU and other places, but other than selling "you can be an absolute stud NFL player if you come to Pitt, even if we don't win" there isn't much there.

It is great to have awesome pros like Donald and Fitz, but the insinuation we provide the best NFL opportunity in college football and are NFLU is ridiculous and just makes those claiming it sound like morons. Crazy, out of touch, morons.

I dont understand your point on this. If Harvard supplies the most CEOs in the top 100 companies in the US, then they certainly can say they are the best or at least very good at doing that.
I do not think you need to disagree just to disagree, you make good points in other threads.
No need to get bent out of shape about Pitt's prominence.

Dude, you're talking to a psychopath that posts, on average, 3x a day on a "non-rivals" board...check-out the "ignore" button.

Reactions: Teh Teh and JokePa
I dont understand your point on this. If Harvard supplies the most CEOs in the top 100 companies in the US, then they certainly can say they are the best or at least very good at doing that.
I do not think you need to disagree just to disagree, you make good points in other threads.

IF high school recruits truly believed that playing football at Pitt gave them the best chance to play in the NFL don't you think we would be recruiting much better? They know the best chance to play in the NFL is to go to OSU and Alabama, where they have 5+ 1st round picks almost every year, and it is proven that you only need to play 1 season at one of these programs to be a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Jpripper88
1. That isn't very comparable. It would be like if WVU by some odd measure had the most Fortune 50 CEOs for a 1 year period.
2. We aren't producing the most NFL talent.
3. IF 2 were true we would get a lot better recruits and win A LOT more games.

All these players have been in the NFL for several years and only Donald and Fitzgerald made the list last year. Does that mean we were worse at producing NFL talent last year? It is a great list to see our players highlighting, but it really is nothing but a single year snap shot. All of these players were produced by different staffs and even under completely different administrations. Hopefully we now have a coach and admin that can achieve and sustain success and we can translate that into pitches about NFL successes.

I'm happy for the Pitt players who do well in the NFL. I would trade their NFL success for our College Football success 100 times out of 100.

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree and I am not "bent out of shape about Pitt's prominence". I am someone who is going to be honest and objective. Stache is not.

How so?

Dude, every win is a good win. Just because those teams were overrated doesnt mean they werent good wins. Clearly Miami and Penn State were overrated at the end of each year, the fact we were favored and won the psu game is only more proof that star ratings doesnt mean a thing.

IF high school recruits truly believed that playing football at Pitt gave them the best chance to play in the NFL don't you think we would be recruiting much better? They know the best chance to play in the NFL is to go to OSU and Alabama, where they have 5+ 1st round picks almost every year, and it is proven that you only need to play 1 season at one of these programs to be a top 10 pick.

No. Obviously. Kids have many reasons for picking a school. Some want money or benefits, some want location, some just want a school that makes them look cool around their peers and family (takes a big kid to choose a school purely based on where he wants to go and gives him a better chance to succeed). Pitt was a shit show for years in coaching turmoil. We had a good recruiting year, and will continue to add to that with better records and coaching stability.

1. That isn't very comparable. It would be like if WVU by some odd measure had the most Fortune 50 CEOs for a 1 year period.
2. We aren't producing the most NFL talent.
3. IF 2 were true we would get a lot better recruits and win A LOT more games.

All these players have been in the NFL for several years and only Donald and Fitzgerald made the list last year. Does that mean we were worse at producing NFL talent last year? It is a great list to see our players highlighting, but it really is nothing but a single year snap shot. All of these players were produced by different staffs and even under completely different administrations. Hopefully we now have a coach and admin that can achieve and sustain success and we can translate that into pitches about NFL successes.

I'm happy for the Pitt players who do well in the NFL. I would trade their NFL success for our College Football success 100 times out of 100.

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree and I am not "bent out of shape about Pitt's prominence". I am someone who is going to be honest and objective. Stache is not.

You think you are, but you arent.

This list is solely 2017. Just click on the link to read it. Pitt produced the most top 100 players of 2017. That is the fact from this particular website. I have no idea about the original poster but this particular thread is pretty clear i dont think the negativity is valid. I think if the poster wrote Pitt has the shittiest players in NFL history you would argue also.

You think you are, but you arent.

This list is solely 2017. Just click on the link to read it. Pitt produced the most top 100 players of 2017. That is the fact from this particular website. I have no idea about the original poster but this particular thread is pretty clear i dont think the negativity is valid. I think if the poster wrote Pitt has the shittiest players in NFL history you would argue also.
I am not.

I am aware the list is only 2017. In fact, I mentioned that, specifically, because the 2016 list only has 2 Pitt players on it, despite the fact all the players on the 2017 list were in the league several years and 3 didn't make the 2016 list. That had nothing to do with Pitt. It didn't change Pitt's relation to those players or the current staff's involvement.

Would I disagree if someone said "Pitt has the shittiest players in NFL history"? Of course. It would be just as dumb and just as wrong. It would also not be the fault of our current staff. It would also not be the goal of our program. Pitt is clearly not "NFLU". They weren't worse last year or much better this year. The truth certainly lies between that and "Pitt has the shittiest players in NFL history". Why would disagreeing with each of those clearly idiotic and false positions mean someone is "arguing just to argue"? Neither of those things is the truth or an objective position. Being honest and objective isn't negative. It is being honest and objective.

Dude, every win is a good win. Just because those teams were overrated doesnt mean they werent good wins. Clearly Miami and Penn State were overrated at the end of each year, the fact we were favored and won the psu game is only more proof that star ratings doesnt mean a thing.

I never said they were not...

It is great getting p5 wins, especially against teams that won their conferences or divisions like all 3 of those did.

Must be hard going through life as your own worst enemy.

Fact: Pitt was favored in that game.

Fact: Pitt won that game.

It doesn't take a "fan" or a "Nitter" to realize that Pitt wasn't the underdog, and PSU wasn't "overrated" going into that game. It does take basic skills in reasoning, perhaps, and I suspect you are lacking in those.

At any rate, you can claim tremendous great upsets as somehow suggesting that the staff or the team or whatever are capable of god-like elevations beyond their natural ability, but that game wasn't one of them. It was merely a solid win by the team that was the bettor's favorites to win.

Why is that so hard for you to digest?

:rolleyes:

You are super delusional. Is it you just dont read? Or just dont understand things? What 'tremendous great upsets" did I suggest? Is saying a consolidation prize of beating an over rated miami and psu somehow through your bizarre brain prism separate my meaning to boasting those were "tremendous great upsets"? I was saying the exact opposite.

I do agree... Pitt should ALWAYS be favored over the Big 10 champion that year, because Pitt is LOOOAAADDDSSS better than any Big 10 team. The fact we did win that year, should not ever be a happy event. In fact, it should be no different than beating Akron. Happy? :D:D

You should probably go back into a woman who is having their period. You are so obsessed with that school that it makes your arguments incredibly weak and nonsensical.

Do you realize that when Pitt beat PSU, the recruiting rankings for Pitt for the upper-classmen was higher than that of PSU? So unless you expected PSU's freshman to beat Pitt that year, your statement about star ratings make no sense. PSU's recruiting class advantage for upper-classmen becomes bigger in 2019 and much bigger when Pitt is off PSU's schedule.

You people ARE so delusional, the stache is right. The nitters who like your post are not fans of research either.

Pitt penn state
2016 29 (24) 21 (20)
2015 65 (15) 15 (25)
2014 44 (27) 24 (25)
2013 35 (27) 43 (16)
2012 47 (16) 52 (19)

Rivals ranking(number of recruits)

Total : Pitt 109 recruits for a recruiting ranking average 44
Penn state 106 recruits for a recruiting average of 31.

The weighted average is even more far apart.

Penn state had the far better recruit ranking in that game.

Please, go ahead and check

you may say, "how about 5th year seniors??"

2011 Pitt 21 recruits for 58th ranking
PSU 15 recruits for 35th ranking.

FAKE NEWS! You are wrong.

You people ARE so delusional, the stache is right. The nitters who like your post are not fans of research either.

Pitt penn state
2016 29 (24) 21 (20)
2015 65 (15) 15 (25)
2014 44 (27) 24 (25)
2013 35 (27) 43 (16)
2012 47 (16) 52 (19)

My new favorite poster. Someone did the same analysis when someone said the reason we had 5 sacks to their 0 was that their line was poor and showed the had the higher stars too and showed psu's line had higher stars even with Biz and DoJo. You are arguing with the one joker that makes a million screen names

The lack of mental acuity here is baffling. I believe a phrase that describes it well would be "grasping at straws".

tied with OSU for #1.

Also Aaron Donald is rated #1 in the entire NFL

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-101-players-from-the-2017-nfl-season

At the end of the day, you go the to school that gives you the best chance to succeed in your planned future career. That being said, this proves Pitt gives you that opportunity better than anyone else.

Was just thinking about this, and it is pretty remarkable. We are successfully making NFL superstars, ESPN personalities, and good people. It is funny what the psu flamers on this board say:

We have the best NFL players- Its not this year, or doesnt help us win

We share facilities with the Steelers and Pitt players talk to Steelers all the time - Pitt should have its own.

We have a tremendous coach - He will coach MSU soon

We win the big games - They werent big games.

It is crazy.

The lack of mental acuity here is baffling. I believe a phrase that describes it well would be "grasping at straws".

That is hilarious coming from you.

But, I guess when you do not have facts to back up your nitter narrative, just name call.

Too Bad we can’t do anything while these stars are here in school..

Well, in most cases they are developing into stars while they are here. In Fitz's case he was only here 2 years. In ADs case he was an extremely lightly recruited guy that turned into the best lineman in Pitt history. We do something while they are here, without these guys we would have had losing seasons.

Pitt penn state
2016 29 (24) 21 (20)
2015 65 (15) 15 (25)
2014 44 (27) 24 (25)
2013 35 (27) 43 (16)
2012 47 (16) 52 (19)

Thanks for proving my point, 2012 and 2013 Pitt had higher recuiting rankings which is exactly what I said. With only 16 and 19 recruits in those years meant PSU could not miss on any recruits. That is why PSU had so much youth on the field for the opening game of the series. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.

Thanks for proving my point, 2012 and 2013 Pitt had higher recuiting rankings which is exactly what I said. With only 16 and 19 recruits in those years meant PSU could not miss on any recruits. That is why PSU had so much youth on the field for the opening game of the series. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.

Not even close to the truth, in 2013 psu had a far higher average stars. Plus 2011 Pitt had ZERO recruits, as Todd Grahams recruit all bolted or were kicked out.Pitt and Penn State were tied for youngest rosters Penn state had the better according to rivals. You were wrong. I get it, you need to make excuses, cant ever admit you just got your asses beat. Some people make excuses, some people dont.

Great argument guys but if Psu had the better team why was Pitt giving them 4 points?Vegas just doesn't favor a team because they like the schools colors Pitt had the better team in early September.Many factors when into Vegas line,the biggest things were QB and oline that day.Pitt didn't upset Psu,hell they didn't even cover the line.Now if Pitt would of played Psu in a bowl game that year and beat them it would of been an upset.

If memory serves Pitt opened up around an 8 point favorite over the summer and it eventually got bet down to 3.5 or maybe even 3 by game time.

Recruiting rankings have zero to do with how those lines are set, even soft openers that come out over the summer. There was a much different perception of Penn St than there is now. They were coming off a pretty unimpressive 7-6 year and had some major QB questions at the time. It was only Franklin’s 2nd year and quite frankly he didn’t look so hot on game days during his 1st season.

Pitt had some talent coming back and were playing at home. They were deserving favorites.

I'd really enjoy having more wins at Pitt and less Pitt NFL success, even though those two should go hand in hand, but for some reason they don't.

Not even close to the truth, in 2013 psu had a far higher average stars. Plus 2011 Pitt had ZERO recruits, as Todd Grahams recruit all bolted or were kicked out.Pitt and Penn State were tied for youngest rosters Penn state had the better according to rivals. You were wrong. I get it, you need to make excuses, cant ever admit you just got your asses beat. Some people make excuses, some people dont.

I don't understand why you guys are arguing that Pitt recruiting classes were actually lower than PSU. Pitt in those two years had 1 five star, 6 four stars, and 25 three stars. PSU had 1 five star, 4 four stars, and 19 three stars. Pitt in 2012 star avg of 3.13 while PSU 2.58. Pitt in 2013 avg of 2.81 while PSU 3.01. I don't want to insult you guys, but you have to be kidding me if you prefer PSU's recruiting in 2012 and 2013. Also, there is a reason they don't rank teams according to average. Maybe you guys should find out why.

If memory serves Pitt opened up around an 8 point favorite over the summer and it eventually got bet down to 3.5 or maybe even 3 by game time.

Recruiting rankings have zero to do with how those lines are set, even soft openers that come out over the summer. There was a much different perception of Penn St than there is now. They were coming off a pretty unimpressive 7-6 year and had some major QB questions at the time. It was only Franklin’s 2nd year and quite frankly he didn’t look so hot on game days during his 1st season.

Pitt had some talent coming back and were playing at home. They were deserving favorites.

It was actually Franklin's 3rd season I believe. He was taking a lot of heat for "ruining" a franchise QB in Christian Hackenberg, who it turns out just isn't any good. McSorley wasn't very well thought of, PSU was one of the youngest teams in the country, and the game was at Pitt. We had a really good team that year and I believe we could have won 10 games if Duzz would have made adjustments on defense instead of trying to play his 'scheme' even though we didn't have the personnel.

I don't understand why you guys are arguing that Pitt recruiting classes were actually lower than PSU. Pitt in those two years had 1 five star, 6 four stars, and 25 three stars. PSU had 1 five star, 4 four stars, and 19 three stars. Pitt in 2012 star avg of 3.13 while PSU 2.58. Pitt in 2013 avg of 2.81 while PSU 3.01. I don't want to insult you guys, but you have to be kidding me if you prefer PSU's recruiting in 2012 and 2013. Also, there is a reason they don't rank teams according to average. Maybe you guys should find out why.

Not according to rivals. Not sure where you are getting your stats

Not according to rivals. Not sure where you are getting your stats

In 2013
Pitt had 15 3 stars
9 2 stars
2 4 stars
1 5 star

And Trevon Chapman was one of our 4 stars, who never came here. so really, one 5 star and one 4 star... if that happened now this board would melt down with 9 2 star recruits. We had zero this year.

Penn State had
3 4 stars
1 5 star
8 3 star
4 2 star

AT BEST one can say the classes were a wash. Pitt was ranked higher only due to volume, as we had 27 in the class. PSU had 3.06 average stars to Pitt's 2.86, and again that is with Chapman.

Any PSU troll that thinks Pitt had a better 'star' team is mistaken. Narduzzi just did the better job at coaching.

I was actually at this game and if I remember right Psu lack of depth killed them.They lost 3 players on defense and their subs were very inadequate.This is why depth is so important in football.Franklin won't have this problem in the future the way he's recruiting.Pitt and WVU's depth will be in question because of mediocre recruiting classes.You have to stockpile talent to win over the long haul.The only thing Holgy is stockpiling down here is empty red bull cans!

I was actually at this game and if I remember right Psu lack of depth killed them.They lost 3 players on defense and their subs were very inadequate.This is why depth is so important in football.Franklin won't have this problem in the future the way he's recruiting.Pitt and WVU's depth will be in question because of mediocre recruiting classes.You have to stockpile talent to win over the long haul.The only thing Holgy is stockpiling down here is empty red bull cans!

Yes, I hear you, Pitt had 5 starters out for the game as well. Definitely better depth now

In 2013
Pitt had 15 3 stars
9 2 stars
2 4 stars
1 5 star

And Trevon Chapman was one of our 4 stars, who never came here. so really, one 5 star and one 4 star... if that happened now this board would melt down with 9 2 star recruits. We had zero this year.

Penn State had
3 4 stars
1 5 star
8 3 star
4 2 star

AT BEST one can say the classes were a wash. Pitt was ranked higher only due to volume, as we had 27 in the class. PSU had 3.06 average stars to Pitt's 2.86, and again that is with Chapman.

Any PSU troll that thinks Pitt had a better 'star' team is mistaken. Narduzzi just did the better job at coaching.

And dahn goes Frayzah

ADVERTISEMENT