ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Matthew Filipowski that Pitt is recruiting

A kid from NYC that’s recruiting has soared past Pitt’s reach, it seems.
I believe you are thinking of his brother Kyle that is currently ranked in the top 50 on Rivals for 2022. Matthew must not have the skill set that Kyle does but he is a 6' 10" plus prospect. They are from Massachusetts.

I believe you are thinking of his brother Kyle that is currently ranked in the top 50 on Rivals for 2022. Matthew must not have the skill set that Kyle does but he is a 6' 10" plus prospect. They are from Massachusetts.
Yeah mattv and Kyle are twins genetically but thats where it ends. Basketball wise they are lightyears apart.

Yep, I messed that up. Are they playing for the Rens? Not sure how I completely screwed that one up

From what I’ve read it seems that O’Toole is keeping in constant contact with him. Can’t teach size, he’s 6’11, 235.

You think that there's any chance for improvement?
He better. But of course he can improve. And i can't tell you I've seen alot from him. And I'm real reluctant to evaluate bigs as I've been so wrong before.

Reactions: BPKY
are they a package deal? maybe the good one will say im only going to a school that takes my brother and the blue bloods wont offer a 2 for 1 deal. and that's where we come in..

just a though.

Bigs can be tough to evaluate. How good was Aaron Gray as a frosh, for example. Not very. But good as a senior. The problem now is that you can't count on a recruit being at Pitt for 4 years to develop to Pitt's advantage.

Bring back the Nelson twins!
They could hoop too?

The only thing you are going to eat is your words.
Lol, this is wishful thinking at best. We’re in a total rebuild with a bad team in year 4 with Coach’s best recruits gone to star elsewhere. The arrow is definitely trending towards him being correct more than not.

If you aren’t at least concerned with the general direction of the program you are not paying attention.

Lol, this is wishful thinking at best. We’re in a total rebuild with a bad team in year 4 with Coach’s best recruits gone to star elsewhere. The arrow is definitely trending towards him being correct more than not.

If you aren’t at least concerned with the general direction of the program you are not paying attention.
Concerned, yes. Convinced of these doomsday scenarios, no way. Why are you so concerned when someone thinks positively?

Concerned, yes. Convinced of these doomsday scenarios, no way. Why are you so concerned when someone thinks positively?
Lol I couldn’t care less how you think. You blindly defend everything Pitt does without any evidence. I’m not gonna blindly defend or criticize either way. There have been some positives so far but clearly more negatives. For you to tell someone they’re gonna eat their words is pretty rich. Unless you’re related to someone on the staff it doesn’t make much sense

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Bigs can be tough to evaluate. How good was Aaron Gray as a frosh, for example. Not very. But good as a senior. The problem now is that you can't count on a recruit being at Pitt for 4 years to develop to Pitt's advantage.
Matt is more developed and athletic than Aaron was at the same point of their careers.

One would hope Pitt would be in the lead for a kid who’s only other offers are from Bryant, Marist, and Stony Brook.

If you do any internet searches on Matt Filipowski, one of the first things you discover is that there is a lot of confusion in the reporting of the recruitment of both brothers. Evidently, many sites are unaware that there are two Filipowskis playing basketball. That said, I thought I had previously read that Matt Filipowski was a heavy lean to Harvard, if not committed. Supposedly, academics are a huge factor for both brothers. However, none of that can be confirmed, but I thought you ought to be aware of the possibility.
Edit to add: He also has an offer from William & Mary. Basketball program not as good as Pitt's, but better academics.

Last edited:
If you do any internet searches on Matt Filipowski, one of the first things you discover is that there is a lot of confusion in the reporting of the recruitment of both brothers. Evidently, many sites are unaware that there are two Filipowskis playing basketball. That said, I thought I had previously read that Matt Filipowski was a heavy lean to Harvard, if not committed. Supposedly, academics are a huge factor for both brothers. However, none of that can be confirmed, but I thought you ought to be aware of the possibility.
Edit to add: He also has an offer from William & Mary. Basketball program not as good as Pitt's, but better academics.
He very well might go the academic route. The reason I brought him back up was his lack of attention didn't match what I saw on the court. He looks like he has the skills to be a solid P5 center.

He very well might go the academic route. The reason I brought him back up was his lack of attention didn't match what I saw on the court. He looks like he has the skills to be a solid P5 center.

I dont know on Matt with regards to this, I have not heard anything. But a player we have recruited for a while, are still recruiting, and still trying to get to visit, is W /F Chisom Okpara of the NY Rens. There is a good chance Okpara is going academic route, but we might be getting a visit out of him after the peach jam. The Rens are so darn loaded! Like a number of the others from NY, Okpara is from Bronxville, New York. He is strongly looking at Yale and Harvard on the short list. He is a solid player.

ADVERTISEMENT