ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't we recruit as well as Kentucky?

bobfree

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2012
Xavier Peters 4 star linebacker crystal balled to them. They are going to get Keaton Upshaw.

I'm not saying Narduzzi is doing a poor job but why can't we recruit to the level of Kentucky? I think Narduzzi is as good or better than Stoops. But they have Marrow and other coaches who hit the trail hard. Think we have some guys on this staff that aren't great recruiters. Hill and Sherman come to mind. Partridge is that kind of guy. I think Harley can be good and Salem and Peterson have done well.

Xavier Peters 4 star linebacker crystal balled to them. They are going to get Keaton Upshaw.

I'm not saying Narduzzi is doing a poor job but why can't we recruit to the level of Kentucky? I think Narduzzi is as good or better than Stoops. But they have Marrow and other coaches who hit the trail hard. Think we have some guys on this staff that aren't great recruiters. Hill and Sherman come to mind. Partridge is that kind of guy. I think Harley can be good and Salem and Peterson have done well.
Depending on the scouting service we have been ranked similarly since PN arrived.

Your general premise is flawed. Pitt and KY recently have recruited at almost the exact same level.

Your general premise is flawed. Pitt and KY recently have recruited at almost the exact same level.

2015 Kentucky 35 Pitt 65
2016 Kentucky 28 Pitt 29
2017 Kentucky 26 Pitt 37
2018 Kentucky 24 Pitt 43

That's an average of 15.25 spots per year. And 11 spots in 2017 really isn't close to the same level.

2015 Kentucky 35 Pitt 65
2016 Kentucky 28 Pitt 29
2017 Kentucky 26 Pitt 37
2018 Kentucky 24 Pitt 43

That's an average of 15.25 spots per year. And 11 spots in 2017 really isn't close to the same level.

There on the field success doesn't reflect that level of recruiting. How many guys are they putting in the NFL?

Reactions: pbrad
2015 Kentucky 35 Pitt 65
2016 Kentucky 28 Pitt 29
2017 Kentucky 26 Pitt 37
2018 Kentucky 24 Pitt 43

Fair question. But I wouldn't count 2015. 16, 17, and 18 are more accurate with Narduzzi being relatively new.

I always wondered why Kentucky hasn't recruited better over the years. They are ideally located to attract recruits from both the north and the south...

Go Pitt.

Reactions: michnittlion

They seem to do a better job in Ohio and that may be the difference. They have that one guy who does really well in Ohio. Marrow?

Reactions: bobfree
They seem to do a better job in Ohio and that may be the difference. They have that one guy who does really well in Ohio. Marrow?

I would agree with that. That's their strong hold. I'm not necessarily concerned but they are cleaning up those 2nd tier type recruits in Ohio (along with Cincy) that we need. We aren't keeping all the Western Pa kids. Eastern pa is closed. I guess we are going all in on Fla?

I always wondered why Kentucky hasn't recruited better over the years. They are ideally located to attract recruits from both the north and the south...

Go Pitt.

Correct. Kentucky has honestly under-achieved over the years.

Ohio --- particularly SW Ohio (Cincinnati + Dayton) --- has a ton of high school talent. Ohio State will take the pick of the litter, of course. But there's a whole bunch of good talent left after that.

And, of course, they have access to the south simply by virtue of playing in the SEC.

Great fan support for Kentucky football. The fans do show up there.

Yet --- they can't even consistently beat Vanderbilt more often than not (5-5 over the last 10 years; 2-4 over the last 6).

Why can't Kentucky Win more Games and put more Players on NFL Rosters with such Great Recruits, More SEC Money, and Same Coach since 2013?

In just 2 years, Coach Narduzzi -Chryst has put 30 Pitt Players on NFL Rosters versus Kentucky Stoops 16, as of 2017??

Coach Narduzzi Rank 43 went 18-10 at .615% versus Coach Stoops Rank 73 going 12-13 at 480%, from 2015-16???

Don't forget that's Kentucky Recruiting Advantage Average of 15.25 spots per year, and 11 spots in 2017 showing Kentucky & Stoops too?????

Therefore, isn't Stoops Higher Recruiting Average really isn't close to Pitt's Narduzzi Coaching and NFL Production on the same level even with all those Kentucky Top Recruiting Classes with Holes in his own program after 5 years??????

Does that mean Stoops as a Leaking Top Recruiting Class-Hole????????

Kentucky-Pittsburgh
2013 2-10 - 7-6
2014 5-7 - 6-7
2015 5-7 - 8-5
2016 7-6 - 8-5
Pittsburgh Rank 62 0.55769 % 29-23-0 52
Kentucky- Rank 97 0.38776 % 19-30-0 49

2013:
UOK 29 2-10 NFL DRAFT 1 Stoops
PITT 35 7-6 NFL DRAFT 0 Chryst

2014:
UOK 17 5-7 NFL DRAFT 1 Stoops
PITT 44 6-7 NFL DRAFT 3 Chryst

UOK 35 5-7 NFL DRAFT 2 Stoops
PITT 65 8-5 NFL DRAFT 1 Narduzzi

UOK 28 7-6 NFL DRAFT 1 Stoops
PITT 29 8-5 NFL DRAFT 1 Narduzzi

UOK 26 ? NFL DRAFT 0 NFL ROSTER 16 Stoops
PITT 37 ? NFL DRAFT 5 NFL ROSTER 30 Chryst-Narduzzi

2018 Kentucky 24 ? Pitt 43

Last edited:
Why can't Kentucky Win more Games and put more Players on NFL Rosters with such Great Recruits, More SEC Money, and Same Coach since 2013?

In just 2 years, Coach Narduzzi -Chryst has put 30 Pitt Players on NFL Rosters versus Kentucky Stoops 16, as of 2017??

Coach Narduzzi Rank 43 went 18-10 at .615% versus Coach Stoops Rank 73 going 12-13 at 480%, from 2015-16???

Don't forget that's Kentucky Recruiting Advantage Average of 15.25 spots per year, and 11 spots in 2017 showing Kentucky & Stoops too?????

Therefore, isn't Stoops Higher Recruiting Average really isn't close to Pitt's Narduzzi Coaching and NFL Production on the same level even with all those Kentucky Top Recruiting Classes with Holes in his own program after 5 years??????

Does that mean Stoops as a Leaking Top Recruiting Class-Hole????????

Kentucky-Pittsburgh
2013 2-10 - 7-6
2014 5-7 - 6-7
2015 5-7 - 8-5
2016 7-6 - 8-5
Pittsburgh Rank 62 0.55769 % 29-23-0 52
Kentucky- Rank 97 0.38776 % 19-30-0 49

2013:
UOK 29 2-10 NFL DRAFT 1 Stoops
PITT 35 7-6 NFL DRAFT 0 Chryst

2014:
UOK 17 5-7 NFL DRAFT 1 Stoops
PITT 44 6-7 NFL DRAFT 3 Chryst

UOK 35 5-7 NFL DRAFT 2 Stoops
PITT 65 8-5 NFL DRAFT 1 Narduzzi

UOK 28 7-6 NFL DRAFT 1 Stoops
PITT 29 8-5 NFL DRAFT 1 Narduzzi

UOK 26 ? NFL DRAFT 0 NFL ROSTER 16 Stoops
PITT 37 ? NFL DRAFT 5 NFL ROSTER 30 Chryst-Narduzzi

2018 Kentucky 24 ? Pitt 43
Just check out Baylor Kentucky Mississippi st.
Like one poster said lets not go there but we do not play the game of recruiting like the SEC and other teams. If you don't understand that then oh well

Reactions: step.eng69
I would agree with that. That's their strong hold. I'm not necessarily concerned but they are cleaning up those 2nd tier type recruits in Ohio (along with Cincy) that we need. We aren't keeping all the Western Pa kids. Eastern pa is closed. I guess we are going all in on Fla?
I agree. We need to snag a few more of the second tier guys out of Ohio. And hopefully last year wasn't an indication of how western pa will be going forward with so many going to nd and Michigan. But that hurt us. We will always lose one or two to psu from western pa. But losing that many to nd hurt.

Need to add Stallings to the staff- he's put together the best recruiting class in years I've been told.

2015 Kentucky 35 Pitt 65
2016 Kentucky 28 Pitt 29
2017 Kentucky 26 Pitt 37
2018 Kentucky 24 Pitt 43

wonder how Kentucky would have done against Clemson and Penn State last year.......

Reactions: pittmeister
KY has to play GA, Fla, TN and SC in the SEC east. Sorry Stoops no matter how much cash inducements, they pale to what those programs have. KY will never be a player in SEC football. Can they have a really good year on occasion, yes, but no way they can hang with those programs.

KY has to play GA, Fla, TN and SC in the SEC east. Sorry Stoops no matter how much cash inducements, they pale to what those programs have. KY will never be a player in SEC football. Can they have a really good year on occasion, yes, but no way they can hang with those programs.
never, eh? when I was a kid Baylor was the worst program in existence. Just awful year after year after year and never could compete with Oklahoma, texas,Nebraska etc....never under estimate the power of underhandedness.

Reactions: pittmeister
Attendance at commonwealth stadium is probably comparable from a season ticket base but SEC travels much better than ACC schools so the overall attendance is higher. I'm not a Stoops fan but he has surrounded himself with a coaching staff who can recruit they may not be great coaches but they all can recruit.

Reactions: sherepower
Just check out Baylor Kentucky Mississippi st.
Like one poster said lets not go there but we do not play the game of recruiting like the SEC and other teams. If you don't understand that then oh well
Quite agree, do an analysis whom played whom and if you can't understand why Kentucky can't produce more and better NFL Players with its so called Superior same Coach, over over 5 years Recruiting Program Resources, turning them into Better Players and supposedly with Superior Scheduling as you claim, well, what do you really know???

I agree. We need to snag a few more of the second tier guys out of Ohio. And hopefully last year wasn't an indication of how western pa will be going forward with so many going to nd and Michigan. But that hurt us. We will always lose one or two to psu from western pa. But losing that many to nd hurt.
Agree, but Kentucky is snagging Higher rated Recruits by 2 on Average and still not showing they can be coached up in CFB or NFL? ND will always be a Top Recruiter and also struggling like Kentucky?

Jerkovich going to ND may have swayed a player or two as well. Our recruiting is shifting to other areas like Oh & Fla and that is okay with me.
I like to see where Coach Pat & Staff on in 2017, 2018, and 2019, after his fits 5 years, just like Stoops has done since 2013, both are from Youngstown Roots and rebuilding Football Programs even with Higher Recruiting, Programs Income, and Coaching Stability is never easy! This will be a better comparison and no question both can do better Pitt has just been in the ACC since 2013, Kentucky has been in SEC under Stoops the same period, but with Higher Recruiting and longer than Narduzzi by 3 years?

Need to add Stallings to the staff- he's put together the best recruiting class in years I've been told.
Yeah, that is why Vanderbilt lost him as well???? And they lost Franklin too???? Didn't you use to Defend Pederson Tenure at Pitt and Nebraska and Pitt again and blame it on Pitt Fans not coming to games?

It is not like Pederson did not try by finding Callahan, Haywood, Graham, & Chryst after firing Solich and Wannstedt? Coaching has a big impact on Recruiting and Nebraska was a Top 25 Program until Pederson got his hands on it, putting NU money in his Buyout Pockets and Pitt too, Over Recruiting Staffing?

Smiley Stevie was really better at that too better than anything? How is that "Leaking Pete" looking now? I am not excusing Barnes unable to stay at Pitt either to save his Mother in OreGONE with his Top Old Boss Consultant that once hired Stallings when he was Vandy AD? either. I just don't blame one or all fans for those decisions?

NCAA Attendance:
Kentucky 7 375,500 53,643
Pittsburgh 7 322,531 46,076

2015:
Kentucky 8 490,361 61,295
Pittsburgh 6 288,900 48,150 First Year Narduzzi

2014:
Kentucky 7 403,002 57,572
Pittsburgh 7 289,204 41,315

2013:
Kentucky 7 416,303 59,472 First Year Stoops
Pittsburgh 7 348,188 49,741

2012:
Kentucky 7 347,838 49,691
Pittsburgh 6 248,964 41,494 First Year In ACC

LINK:
http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

Last edited:
Thinking about going back to school ~

Ashley-Judd-Feet-36635.jpg

Reactions: Black Panther
wonder how Kentucky would have done against Clemson and Penn State last year.......

Wonder how we would have done vs Va tech, ok state, North Carolina, northwestern, and Miami had we recruited better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT