ADVERTISEMENT

Will and Nate

It would be great if Will gets some confidence from this experience that leads into a good year for him. we could really use some good minutes from him this year.
True
Also hope they learn the more you move, and are a threat to drive to the rim - the more space you’ll have to shoot

trying to get my hands around how this roster will look. If you have these two at the 3, they'll be sharing time with Nike. But if Will is a 4, man you are just putting Hugely down low and putting him in a position where he'll be double teamed the second he gets the ball.

Iv'e seen enough of that last year, the second he gets the ball, 2 big dudes just beating the S out of him. That took it's toll on him. Maybe i have that 80s/90s mentality but i think you need two bigs on the court. I dont want to see hugely get murdered game in and game out like last year.

trying to get my hands around how this roster will look. If you have these two at the 3, they'll be sharing time with Nike. But if Will is a 4, man you are just putting Hugely down low and putting him in a position where he'll be double teamed the second he gets the ball.

Iv'e seen enough of that last year, the second he gets the ball, 2 big dudes just beating the S out of him. That took it's toll on him. Maybe i have that 80s/90s mentality but i think you need two bigs on the court. I dont want to see hugely get murdered game in and game out like last year.
Hugley got double teamed because nobody needed to respect Pitt’s shooting and our backcourt couldn’t get to the rim. We had a 6’10 Mo Gueye beside him for 30+ minutes a night last year and it still resulted in double teams because nobody could shoot or get to the basket. Fix the backcourt and you fix the Hugley double teams.

Spacing the floor and knocking down 3’s will open the floor for Hugley.

Reactions: Atlanta Panther
Spacing the floor and knocking down 3’s will open the floor for Hugley.
agree, in theory. Have never seen a capel coached team at pitt be able to "space the floor" effectively though. i've seen other teams do it in college and it looks so easy but not at pitt.

Hugley got double teamed because nobody needed to respect Pitt’s shooting and our backcourt couldn’t get to the rim. We had a 6’10 Mo Gueye beside him for 30+ minutes a night last year and it still resulted in double teams because nobody could shoot or get to the basket. Fix the backcourt and you fix the Hugley double teams.
And fact is many teams choose a double the block philosophy no matter who you're playing

That’s fair. Some teams are probably going to double him in the paint either way - it’s just that last year, they could do that without consequence. Hopefully this year, there will actually be consequences for doing that.
yeah, i think he's a good passer too. If you double him then at least lets get a couple open looks at threes. we didnt see that. not that they missed, we just never got the looks.

yeah, i think he's a good passer too. If you double him then at least lets get a couple open looks at threes. we didnt see that. not that they missed, we just never got the looks.
I honestly think we got pretty decent looks consistently last year. Probably the best we got consistently in the Capel era. We were just…really bad shooting the ball.

Reactions: Drew1208
What team is USA East Coast Basketball?

Is it a regional USA Basketball team that plays other USA teams from which they pick the final USA international team?

is this the U19 team?

Peace
NGF
They play some greek dudes and shit

That’s fair. Some teams are probably going to double him in the paint either way - it’s just that last year, they could do that without consequence. Hopefully this year, there will actually be consequences for doing that.

Here's the thing ...

This all stats with finding a better way to INSTIGATE offense.

We run dribble - drive offense which often didn't get us anything. Teams would help on the dribble drive because helping off shooters wasn't a threat.

Because this wasn't fruitful, we'd work on getting the ball into John who didn't handle double teams well.

Here's the thing ...

This all stats with finding a better way to INSTIGATE offense.

We run dribble - drive offense which often didn't get us anything. Teams would help on the dribble drive because helping off shooters wasn't a threat.

Because this wasn't fruitful, we'd work on getting the ball into John who didn't handle double teams well.
I spent a long time watching some tape on tubby Smith and his double the block and his whole defensive philosophy.
Just great stuff when executed correctly.
I guess thats a thing Bennet does religiously too.
We'll have way more to work with this year and id hope big J learned a bunch of really hard lessons.

Reactions: TWPitt
Anything like this is a positive for these players being able to continue playing against good competition in the offseason and improving their game.

Reactions: jctrack
Will’s going to end up being a pretty good player for us. Maybe as soon as this year.
Needs to play the 4. He rebounds decent. Hustles, defends ok. Can play a very poor man's Nasir Robinson type role. He absolutely cannot play on the perimeter with the depth we've created there. I like him at the 4 getting some hustle points, loose balls, tip-ins, etc.

Reactions: Nish67 and Drew1208
Needs to play the 4. He rebounds decent. Hustles, defends ok. Can play a very poor man's Nasir Robinson type role. He absolutely cannot play on the perimeter with the depth we've created there. I like him at the 4 getting some hustle points, loose balls, tip-ins, etc.
Well said. I agree. Garbage man him up!

Maybe, anyway him, Nate and twins are gonna have to be more than warm bodies out there.

Every team needs a guy who does the unnoticed things , set a pick , get a crucial rebound , make good defensive switches , or a timely assist . There’s no reason Wil can’t become that guy . Unless his shot improves greatly he needs to limit his shooting to mid range jumpers and if he makes 2 or 3 out of 5 or 6 shots he can become a very valuable player for Pitt . He doesn’t need to be 15ppg type player or shoot from the perimeter Pitt now has other guys to that , they need that glue guy and his name just might be Wil Jeffress .

Every team needs a guy who does the unnoticed things , set a pick , get a crucial rebound , make good defensive switches , or a timely assist . There’s no reason Wil can’t become that guy . Unless his shot improves greatly he needs to limit his shooting to mid range jumpers and if he makes 2 or 3 out of 5 or 6 shots he can become a very valuable player for Pitt . He doesn’t need to be 15ppg type player or shoot from the perimeter Pitt now has other guys to that , they need that glue guy and his name just might be Wil Jeffress .

I think he can do those things but in today's college basketball, you can't "waste" a perimeter spot on that guy. Now, lets day Dior Johnson is like a 20 PPG lottery pick and Cummings or someone else has a big year, then yea, maybe you can play Jeffress at the 3. Pitt has had trouble scoring under Capel so we need offense. With Johnson + a slew of 30 year old men on the wing, we should hopefully have enough so Jeffress at the 4 can provide valuable intangibles.

Reactions: BPKY
Except he hasn't done it yet

Reactions: mo cheeks
going to be interesting to see who improves the most from last year. who is working the hardest ? who is the gym rate ? anyone know ? remember Sam young worked so hard, and it showed. which players on this team put in effort over and above ?

going to be interesting to see who improves the most from last year. who is working the hardest ? who is the gym rate ? anyone know ? remember Sam young worked so hard, and it showed. which players on this team put in effort over and above ?
From what pops up on social media, Nelly, Nike and John seem like the guys who are putting in a ton of extra work. I see Nelly and Nike posting together in the practice gym all the time.

That’s not to say they’re the only guys putting in a ton of work, and maybe they’re just the ones who post the most.

Except he hasn't done it yet
There’s no doubt he needs to improve , but that’s what’s supposed to happen if you work hard at your craft .

He was also very young when he came to Pitt , now he’s had two plus yrs in the weight room and the natural maturing that comes with age should help his game .

He’s the type of player that could really surprise everyone , especially if he can find a reliable shot and of course there’s always the chance that what we’ve seen so far is all he got !

This yr will tell us which player he’s going to be .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT