ADVERTISEMENT

Will Pitt/UVA have more meaning moving forward?

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Virginia just announced they are canceling their game against Coastal Carolina and might not play a game the rest of the season. Pitt might end up being their final game of the 2022 season.

Could this game become a “friendly” rivalry of sorts moving forward? Obviously the circumstances are/were drastically different, but East Carolina and Marshall has been the way for many years since that was the final game before the 1970 Thundering Herd’s plane crash. I think it’d be cool if we honor the three victims in a similar way moving forward.
Just some food for thought.

Virginia just announced they are canceling their game against Coastal Carolina and might not play a game the rest of the season. Pitt might end up being their final game of the 2022 season.

Could this game become a “friendly” rivalry of sorts moving forward? Obviously the circumstances are/were drastically different, but East Carolina and Marshall has been the way for many years since that was the final game before the 1970 Thundering Herd’s plane crash. I think it’d be cool if we honor the three victims in a similar way moving forward.
Just some food for thought.
Not sure why we have to feel all warm and fuzzy about Virginia going forward for years (if their reputation for being snooty arrogant pricks was in place before this shooting not sure why it should change) based on a murderous rampage committed by some nut case a few days after a scheduled game against them. A courteous remembrance in Pittsburgh next year should suffice.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I probably wouldn't bet on it. I think we played Duke on the same day as the Tree of Life events, and nothing ever became of that. Though I do realize that didn't involve football players, so it's not apples to apples. I could see UVA and Va Tech doing something the final game and then that becoming something moving forward, as both will have had campus shootings now.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Not sure why we have to feel all warm and fuzzy about Virginia going forward for years (if their reputation for being snooty arrogant pricks was in place before this shooting not sure why it should change) based on a murderous rampage committed by some nut case a few days after a scheduled game against them. A courteous remembrance in Pittsburgh next year should suffice.
Pitt doesn’t play UVA in 2023. ACC going to 1 division (no more Coastal and Atlantic) starting next season.

Pitt will have 3 permanent ACC opponents: VT, BC, ’Cuse. The other 5 conf games will vary year to year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT