ADVERTISEMENT

William & Mary Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Gosh … this team is tough to love. They are even tougher to assess. They really can be such a mixed bag.

** After all, in our last three games, we have played three really bad first halves against three really bad teams. For those who like math, the average Kenpom ranking for these teams is 336. That’s 336 out of 363.

** Let’s go a little further into the math. Against these teams with an average ranking of 336 on Kenpom, in the first half of the last three games, we have scored 99 points, and our opponents have scored … well … 99 points.

** If you are a half full person, maybe you’ll like this math better. In the second half of the last three games, it’s 137-80. For fun, that’s an average of 45.7 per half for the good guys, and 26.7 for the bad guys.

** I suppose it’s up to every Pitt fans to make their own assessments from those numbers. For me, plain and simply, I don’t know.

** What I do know is that I was pretty disgusted watching the first half of this game. The Tribe of William and Mary didn’t outshoot our Panthers in the first frame. The reality is that they outplayed our Panthers in that time.

** The Tribe ran an offense that often the Panthers didn’t seem willing and/or able to defend. Panthers ran an offense of individuals. The Tribe was a team.

** Most troublingly, our Panthers truly seemed to be going through the motions in the first 20. This was especially true of our large man who plays in the middle. Most so on the defensive end.

** The biggest question Big John should be asking himself is how he allowed William and Mary’s Ben Wight to look like an All-American (especially in the first half), or at the least the most notable big man transfer P-5 schools will be clamoring to obtain next April.

** Things looked pretty effortless for Mr. Wight as he notched 24 points and 11 rebounds. So the 24 points is a career high, and the 11 rebounds were only topped by a 13 rebound effort against Navy last year. For a little more math fun, Ben had 10 and 6 in a lost to Va Tech earliest this year. Before tonight, he averaged less than 11 points a game. Tonight he looked like Bill Walton.

** Nonetheless, in the second half, the superior talent and athleticism of the Panthers stepped forward and this one ceased being a contest somewhere around Nike’s 3 pointer near the 11 minute mark of the second half.

** I’ll use this moment is the winning marker because it allows me to give props to Nike Sibande for a truly winning effort tonight. He was fun to watch because of all of the energy he brought to the game on both ends of the court, especially in the second half.

** When Nike played with energy, some other Panthers followed. The biggest example is that Big John didn’t gather a single carom in the first half. But he got 7 in the second half. Of course, he still trailed Nike for the game as the guard snagged 9 and he earned a couple of those through pure hustle.

** Most of my assessment has veered in the direction of the negative thus far. So I think it’s also important to note that a team that averages 46.7 over three halves, even against three bad teams, clearly has some talent. We clearly have some shot makers, regardless of their inconsistency or one-on-one based play.

** Along those lines, it’s noteworthy that Jamarius Burton has become quite efficient with his shooting, especially in his last four games.

** I suppose it will be much easier to assess our Panthers around this time next Monday evening after we learn the outcome against a pulse-worthy opponent in Northwestern. And I actually would not be surprised by any outcome, including a 15 point Pitt win or a 15 point Pitt loss.

** But I’ll be honest. This Pitt fan needs the win because for me it’s getting harder and harder to like this team, let alone love them. I want to pump my fist more that I want to shake my head. During today’s game, I think I had an equal share of both.

**Gosh … this team is tough to love. They are even tougher to assess. They really can be such a mixed bag.

** After all, in our last three games, we have played three really bad first halves against three really bad teams. For those who like math, the average Kenpom ranking for these teams is 336. That’s 336 out of 363.

** Let’s go a little further into the math. Against these teams with an average ranking of 336 on Kenpom, in the first half of the last three games, we have scored 99 points, and our opponents have scored … well … 99 points.

** If you are a half full person, maybe you’ll like this math better. In the second half of the last three games, it’s 137-80. For fun, that’s an average of 45.7 per half for the good guys, and 26.7 for the bad guys.

** I suppose it’s up to every Pitt fans to make their own assessments from those numbers. For me, plain and simply, I don’t know.

** What I do know is that I was pretty disgusted watching the first half of this game. The Tribe of William and Mary didn’t outshoot our Panthers in the first frame. The reality is that they outplayed our Panthers in that time.

** The Tribe ran an offense that often the Panthers didn’t seem willing and/or able to defend. Panthers ran an offense of individuals. The Tribe was a team.

** Most troublingly, our Panthers truly seemed to be going through the motions in the first 20. This was especially true of our large man who plays in the middle. most so on the defensive end.

** The biggest question Big John should be asking himself is how he allowed William and Mary’s Ben Wight to look like an All-American (especially in the first half), or at the least the most notable big man transfer P-5 schools will be clamoring to obtain next April.

** Things looked pretty effortless for Mr. Wight as he notched 24 points and 11 rebounds. So the 24 points is a career high, and the 11 rebounds were only topped by a 13 rebound effort against Navy last year. For a little more math fun, Ben had 10 and 6 in a lost to Va Tech earliest this year. Before tonight, he averaged less than 11 points a game. Tonight he looked like Bill Walton.

** Nonetheless, in the second half, the superior talent and athleticism of the Panthers stepped forward and this one ceased being a contest somewhere around Nike’s 3 pointer near the 11 minute mark of the second half.

** I’ll use this moment is the winning marker because it allows me to give props to Nike Sibande for a truly winning effort tonight. He was fun to watch because of all of the energy he brought to the game on both ends of the court, especially in the second half.

** When Nike played with energy, some other Panthers followed. The biggest example is that Big John didn’t gather a single carom in the first half. But he got 7 in the second half. Of course, he still trailed Nike for the game as the guard snagged 9 and he earned a couple of those through pure hustle.

** Most of my assessment has veered in the direction of the negative thus far. So I think it’s also important to note that a team that averages 46.7 over three halves, even against three bad teams, clearly has some talent. We clearly have some shot makers, regardless of their inconsistency or one-on-one based play.

** Along those lines, it’s noteworthy that Jamarius Burton has become quite efficient with his shooting, especially in his last four games.

** I suppose it will be much easier to assess our Panthers around this time next Monday evening after we learn the outcome against a pulse-worthy opponent in Northwestern. And to be quite honest, I would not be surprised by any outcome, including a 15 point Pitt win or a 15 point Pitt loss.

** But I’ll be honest. This Pitt fan needs the win because for me it’s getting harder and harder to like this team, let alone love them. I want to pump my fist more that I want to shake my head. During today’s game, I think I had an equal share of both.
It's a tale of two teams.
The next 3 games should be interesting.
I think NCST only lost to a good Kansas team by a few points.
Vanderbilt only lost to Memphis
If this team can't learn to defend very soon they could lose all 3 of the next games.
Who knows..
Big John got to defend better. But I'm just troubled by how easy it seems to get around our guards.

Cummings has to play better. He gets blown by way too often. JB is handling lead guard duties better. Sibande seems to defend best of the guards. When we work it inside out we play the best.

Yes, the game turned around at about the 11 minute mark of the second half. I wasn't looking so much at the offense, which this team seems averse to running with any kind of coherent strategy, but at how the defense turned up the pressure on W&M at that point. The defense made the offense better for a lot of reasons, all of which have been stated on this board for years and years. I'm just hoping that this Pitt team can learn something from this game and use that defense first strategy to help them be competitive with the teams coming up on their schedule.

The increase in defensive pressure is one cure for a less than great team to be competitive. It helped us win tonight. Will it be enough to help us win some ACC games? I don't know, because we've played very few teams of that caliber yet, probably none. Michigan might fit that bill and we got clobbered. Monday may start giving us that indication of if this team can be consistent defensively.

Last edited:
Yes, the game turned around at about the 11 minute mark of the second half. I wasn't looking so much at the offense, which this team seems averse to running with any kind of coherent strategy, but at how the defense turned up the pressure on W&M at that point. The defense made the offense better for a lot of reasons, all of which have been stated on this board for years and years. I'm just hoping that this Pitt team can learn something from this game and use that defense first strategy to help them be competitive with the teams coming up on their schedule.

The increase in defensive pressure is one cure for a less than great team to be competitive. It helped us win tonight. Will it be enough to help us win some ACC games? I don't know, because we've played very few teams of that caliber yet, probably none. Monday may start giving us that indication of if this team can be consistent defensively.
Sitting right behind Capel during that t.o. he actually drew up a play and the team actually executed it. Needless to say I was shocked

This team seems to be very unathletic. Big John, Blake, and Burton are good players but not athletic. I can’t tell if Nelly is a good athlete or not because he gets blown by a lot. We definitely need a lot more from him.

** Gosh … this team is tough to love. They are even tougher to assess. They really can be such a mixed bag.

** Most troublingly, our Panthers truly seemed to be going through the motions in the first 20. This was especially true of our large man who plays in the middle. Most so on the defensive end.

** I suppose it will be much easier to assess our Panthers around this time next Monday evening after we learn the outcome against a pulse-worthy opponent in Northwestern. And to be quite honest, I would not be surprised by any outcome, including a 15 point Pitt win or a 15 point Pitt loss.

Had other things to do last evening so couldn't watch the game on tv live. Much less stressful to watch, as I did, as an ESPN/ACCN replay beginning right after it had ended and I knew they had won and by what score.

A side benefit for me, at least, of watching that way is that I could focus without being tense/nervous about the outcome on how the team executes (or doesn't) on both offense and defense.

The lack of energy in the first half was apparent and contrasted drastically with the much greater energy of the second half. That being said, it seems to me that we are still seeing a team that is a work in progress. They still have not learned to fully and consistently mesh as a team--Hugley not being available for practice for about 6-weeks while newcomers (transfers and freshmen) were trying to be worked in to see what they can contribute plus Dior J having worked with the team for a month before he was lost must have contributed to a team not yet at its potential. IMHO, it is like they began the season having to begin fall practice all over again with a different first five and top 7 group.

Also, it seemed last night that Hugley is still being give more bench rest time than he probably will once he is fully back into game shape. It also seemed to me that he was being proactively protected from getting into early foul trouble by Capel's substitution patterns during the first half.

Bottom line, I believe we still haven't seen this team's eventual ceiling. Despite their inconsistency they have actually won the last two by more than they were predicted to win by and that is encouraging for the moment.

What I hope is that the next three games don't turn out so badly that the players give up and that the eventual higher ceiling I see is never reached.

Reactions: jctrack
The first half, as others
have said, was really
bad in all aspects. The
lack of effort on D was
really troubling. They
were picked apart by a
disciplined, less talented
team. The D in second
half was just the opposite.
They all hustled, and for
the most part didn't get
caught in bad switches
and when they doubled.
Also didn't get beat of the
dribble, and when they did,
they had help.

I thought the second half
may have been our best
effort and performance
so far this year. On offense
we had much better spacing,
didn't over dribble, and
really moved the ball. I
posted after last game,
we need to go inside more
often. Not only to John,
but also Hinson. Again,
we do NOT have a true pg.
Since we don't, it's crucial
that we don't deploy Capel's
pg oriented offense. It's
pleasure to see all of our
five on the floor moving
with and without the ball.
Next few games will tell
us a lot.

There’s potential there especially if the play of Nike , Big John and the twins continues to improve .

It obvious that they’re much better than their last 3 opponents , but they need a W against a legitimate opponent.

I think what we’ve seen so far is that they’re not as good as we hoped nor are they as bad as those two blowouts .

I also think that as the twins get stronger they’ll be game changers , I just hope they’re wearing Panther uniforms .

There’s potential there especially if the play of Nike , Big John and the twins continues to improve .

It obvious that they’re much better than their last 3 opponents , but they need a W against a legitimate opponent.

I think what we’ve seen so far is that they’re not as good as we hoped nor are they as bad as those two blowouts .

I also think that as the twins get stronger they’ll be game changers , I just hope they’re weahalves likering Panther uniforms .
Good point about needing
a "W against a legitimate
opponent." We've played
three so far, and could or
should have beaten VCU.
I believe we would now if
we string two halves together
like our recent 2nd half
performances. We still are
well behind Michigan and
WVU. Northwestern isn't
going to be easy. They do
have a few "legitimate" W's.
That game should tell us a
lot. A W there will be a big
step forward if we can pull
it off.

This team seems to be very unathletic. Big John, Blake, and Burton are good players but not athletic. I can’t tell if Nelly is a good athlete or not because he gets blown by a lot. We definitely need a lot more from him.
Hinson’s another one who could most certainly be in better shape. I love the way he plays - no idea how he’ll do in league play. But he could stand to tighten up along with big John.

Reactions: PittMan2003
A lot of defense is effort. We lacked that effort for 30 minutes until midway through the second half. Then the switch went on and the defensive pressure made the offense better. I didn't like how lazy they played for most of the game, but they redeemed themselves with the defensive effort.

True about "effort."
William and Mary had
that effort all game long.
We had it late, and at
that point our talent
took over. Thus, the end
result.

** I suppose it will be much easier to assess our Panthers around this time next Monday evening after we learn the outcome against a pulse-worthy opponent in Northwestern. And I actually would not be surprised by any outcome, including a 15 point Pitt win or a 15 point Pitt loss.

I thought their spacing on offense - at least in the 2H - was really good. They had some nice kick out and skip passes to wide open jump shooters and when the double team didn’t come in time Hugley , Hinson, Burton had room to operate. The threat of (almost completely absent last season) of making a jump shot is a welcome improvement.

Reactions: Drew1208
I thought their spacing on offense - at least in the 2H - was really good. They had some nice kick out and skip passes to wide open jump shooters and when the double team didn’t come in time Hugley , Hinson, Burton had room to operate. The threat of (almost completely absent last season) of making a jump shot is a welcome improvement.
I haven’t given John much credit thus far but he did a good job passing out of double teams last night.

have said, was really
bad in all aspects. The
lack of effort on D was
really troubling. They
were picked apart by a
team. The D in second
the most part didn't get
caught in bad switches
and when they doubled.
they had help.

may have been our best
effort and performance
didn't over dribble, and
really moved the ball. I
posted after last game,
often. Not only to John,
but also Hinson. Again,
five on the floor moving
Next few games will tell
us a lot.
If we are going to beat an average Big 14 team, we have to start with defense and rebounding. That is a function of “wanting” to do it.

have said, was really
bad in all aspects. The
lack of effort on D was
really troubling. They
were picked apart by a
team. The D in second
the most part didn't get
caught in bad switches
and when they doubled.
they had help.

may have been our best
effort and performance
didn't over dribble, and
really moved the ball. I
posted after last game,
often. Not only to John,
but also Hinson. Again,
five on the floor moving
Next few games will tell
us a lot.
I agree with you that we do not have a true PG and the lack of a true PG is what has plagued this program since the last good one we had in James Robinson. I think you follow the recruiting much more than I do. Question is did Capel think that Neely was going to be his PG once he committed? I recall Capel saying that Dior basically, "feel into his lap very late". So did he really think that Neely was an ACC level PG or was there some other true PG he was recruiting before Dior fell into his lap?

I agree with you that we do not have a true PG and the lack of a true PG is what has plagued this program since the last good one we had in James Robinson. I think you follow the recruiting much more than I do. Question is did Capel think that Neely was going to be his PG once he committed? I recall Capel saying that Dior basically, "feel into his lap very late". So did he really think that Neely was an ACC level PG or was there some other true PG he was recruiting before Dior fell into his lap?
The only other guy I could recall was Seiko Jawara.... but not sure how much of a pg he is.

He did think that Nelly was going to be the starting PG until Dior hit. I still think Nelly can be a playable ACC PG - he’s not without limitations (mostly athletically), but I think he’ll be fine once he gets out of his own head. His biggest problems have been between the ears so far, though it looks like he might be getting his feet under him a little bit.

The difference is that Dior is/was an NBA level point guard, and Nelly just isn’t.

Reactions: cabe23
He did think that Nelly was going to be the starting PG until Dior hit. I still think Nelly can be a playable ACC PG - he’s not without limitations (mostly athletically), but I think he’ll be fine once he gets out of his own head. His biggest problems have been between the ears so far, though it looks like he might be getting his feet under him a little bit.

The difference is that Dior is/was an NBA level point guard, and Nelly just isn’t.
I hope you are correct but to me he looks too small, slow, and weak to be effective in the ACC. Again, hope I am wrong.

Another problem with Cape. His teams are never mentally prepared to play games.

You know I kind find it funny with 3 former head coaches on the staff it amazes me that we think we know more than them . Maybe just maybe the players just aren’t that good ! Just saying .

ps …you don’t have to remind me whose responsibility it is to get the players

Reactions: Kaywood105
You know I kind find it funny with 3 former head coaches on the staff it amazes me that we think we know more than them . Maybe just maybe the players just aren’t that good ! Just saying .

I agree. With three former head coaches on the staff it's pretty much a given that every decision that they make is the correct one. Might as well shut the board down.

Although oddly enough, the former head coach that is also a current head coach was talking after the game last night about how they need to do something different because whatever they are doing to get the team ready to play is clearly not working.

But wait, now I am confused. They are doing what they are doing because of what all those coaches think they need to do. So it must be right. But then they say that it's obviously not working so they need to do something different. And that must be right too. How can this be? They are both right and wrong at the same time.

Huh. Maybe, just maybe, even former coaches don't always make the correct decisions and don't always get things right. Nah, can't be that. They are former coaches. And former coaches are always right.

I agree. With three former head coaches on the staff it's pretty much a given that every decision that they make is the correct one. Might as well shut the board down.

Although oddly enough, the former head coach that is also a current head coach was talking after the game last night about how they need to do something different because whatever they are doing to get the team ready to play is clearly not working.

But wait, now I am confused. They are doing what they are doing because of what all those coaches think they need to do. So it must be right. But then they say that it's obviously not working so they need to do something different. And that must be right too. How can this be? They are both right and wrong at the same time.

Huh. Maybe, just maybe, even former coaches don't always make the correct decisions and don't always get things right. Nah, can't be that. They are former coaches. And former coaches are always right.
There’s not a coach , Dr , CEO etc who doesn’t make mistakes , but one guy who never makes mistakes is none other than JPF .

Pitt has three former HC who work everyday with the players and who’ve spend their entire professional life’s coaching bb , but a guy who pays for his ticket knows better than all three of them . Why in the world don’t they just ask you ? God are they stupid .

If things aren’t working as you want of course you try something different …duh !

JPF for next head coach with Bbinsider as top assistant/recruiter , now how can you beat that ? The Pete will be full and rocking just like the old days !

My advise to you as the next HC is get better players …..no charge .

Only real positives ;
1. Nike is getting better and better which we need
2. If we can only play one good half - I’m glad it’s the second half

There’s not a coach , Dr , CEO etc who doesn’t make mistakes

Well wait a second, if those guys make mistakes then why should people defer to them simply because of their (former) titles? You understand that that makes no sense at all, right?

Well, no, you probably don't. But most people don't seem to have trouble understanding it.

• Haha
This team has adequate offensive players to win a decent amount of games but it lacks so many things that are crucial to a good basketball team and most of it is a byproduct of coaching deficiencies

- defense
The WM Center was good. Better than any low-rated big we've had since McGhee. How does that happen? But he wasnt Tim Duncan. I get that Hugley isnt fully healthy but he wasnt even trying

- team doesnt play hard
Hugley plays like his dad is the coach and knows they cant take him out. Chucking up 3s, not fighting on the glass, no defense

He got his first rebound just over 26-1/2 minutes into the game.

Which is seriously pathetic given the level of opposition we faced.

Coincidentally, that's about the time that Pitt woke up and started playing. Maybe someone told them to start rebounding and play some defense for a change. I don't care how many points you think you can score. If you don't play defense and rebound, you're going to lose. If this Pitt team continues its lazy play on defense and rebounding and getting outhustled and outplayed for major parts of games, they'll lose a lot of games they could win. But again, that's on the coaches to teach and coach, and they're not doing their jobs.

Hugley is an absolutely lazy player -
Thats all that needs said about him .
It’s not conditioning or anything -
He doesn’t work for position in the post and he doesn’t box out .

The team plays better without him - honestly

They are former because of a reason.

This team has adequate offensive players to win a decent amount of games but it lacks so many things that are crucial to a good basketball team and most of it is a byproduct of coaching deficiencies

- defense
The WM Center was good. Better than any low-rated big we've had since McGhee. How does that happen? But he wasnt Tim Duncan. I get that Hugley isnt fully healthy but he wasnt even trying

- team doesnt play hard
Hugley plays like his dad is the coach and knows they cant take him out. Chucking up 3s, not fighting on the glass, no defense
But wait, isn’t he going to get 2 million from some blue blood next year because he’s a middle of the road ACC big!?

- defense

- team doesnt play hard
Hugley is an absolutely lazy player -
Thats all that needs said about him .
It’s not conditioning or anything -
He doesn’t work for position in the post and he doesn’t box out .

The team plays better without him - honestly
The minute he decides to drink his energy drink he’ll be on the bench compliments of the striped shirts. Aggressive bigs are easy targets. Not saying he is timid and wants to stay on the floor. Not at all. We’ve seen the double standard in tobacco country -- the Bacot game notwithstanding. Hopefully he’ll see the light with his conditioning.

Well wait a second, if those guys make mistakes then why should people defer to them simply because of their (former) titles? You understand that that makes no sense at all, right?

Well, no, you probably don't. But most people don't seem to have trouble understanding it.
You think your always correct , what intelligent people do is learn from their mistakes .

You think your always correct , what intelligent people do is learn from their mistakes .

Well wait a second, do those people make mistakes or not? I mean if they make mistakes then surely it would be OK for people to point them out and discuss them. But you have already told us that we mere fans have no right to question coaches decisions, because they are right. So which is it?

Intelligent people understand not to argue completely opposite things when they think it helps them make a point.

Well wait a second, do those people make mistakes or not? I mean if they make mistakes then surely it would be OK for people to point them out and discuss them. But you have already told us that we mere fans have no right to question coaches decisions, because they are right. So which is it?

Intelligent people understand not to argue completely opposite things when they think it helps them make a point.
Questioning a decision someone makes is one thing , but you truly believe you know more about bb than Pitts entire coaching
staff .

Questioning a decision someone makes is one thing , but you truly believe you know more about bb than Pitts entire coaching
staff .

Well that's just silly. I have never said nor implied any such thing.

One thing for certain though, I do know more about basketball than you.

Of course you do ! You know more than anyone , if you don’t believe that just read your posts .

Once again, never said I know more than anyone. Just you.

Of course that's obvious.

I do think it's kind of funny though that the fact that I believe in my own opinions bothers you so much. Maybe because you really don't have belief in your own?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT