ADVERTISEMENT

Winning Changes Everything...

pittmeister

Heisman Winner
May 26, 2010
There’s been some bitterness spewing on the board lately about the kids coming home and playing for Pitt after each of them failed to make an impact on a bigger stage. That's understandable. However the kids, the local coaches, parents and others didn’t believe Pitt could win at a higher level. Winning the last two years has changed their opinion. Read their own words…

https://www.si.com/college/pittsbur...ers-different-pitt-panthers-after-two-seasons

McMillon: McMillon said he took notice after Pitt won the 2021 ACC Championship. He said that season was an exciting time to follow the Panthers and it made him hungry to deliver a similar moment to his home city.

I think Duzz and the whole staff is really making something happen right now," McMillon said. "The 2021 ACC Championship, for example, that was an exciting thing to see and watch, not seeing an ACC Championship in a while. I’m excited to be a part of that and go get another one.”

Having the experience of losing the past two years didn’t really sit well with me and I feel like Pitt is on the rise and they just keep going," McMillon said. "I think we have an opportunity to go win and go do those big things and win an ACC Championship.”

Davis:I was able to see the build-up going on here and honestly, [head coach Pat] Narduzzi was able to turn this program around a lot in tremendous ways," Davis said. "So for me to be able to see that first-hand, I was like ‘Okay, Pitt has something’. Now they’re going to have something for real.”

Davis said he was able to see something different in this Pitt program while he watched from afar. After Pitt won 20 games over the past two seasons and ended both years ranked in the top 25, Davis sees the program in a much better light now than he did when he was recruited coming out of Gateway High School in the class of 2021.

Jurkovec: "There’s a lot of hardworking people and winners on this team," Jurkovec said. "They won a couple of years ago and this past year they had some success. Nine wins - that’s not where they want to be, but I really like that attitude. They’re not happy with nine wins even though they still had a lot of success a year ago.”

The reoccurring theme in their comments is winning. I’ve always said, winning cures everything. I said they needed to win with their 2, 3, and high 3-star players and the rest will take care of its self. They finally did it in 2021. Kids want to be associated with winners. It means more to them than lots of NIL money and atmosphere.

I’ve always hated the fact that locals went elsewhere and then wanted to come back, but the times have changed with the portal. We must put all that behind us and recruit kids that can keep the program winning regardless of circumstances.

Yes definitely excited to see these 3 play next season.
So what does Jurkovec bring that Slovis lacked? Just want to hear responses.
Excited to see Davis get a chance behind this OL and Cignetti play calling.

Slovis was frequently a stationary target for the defense. I believe Jurkovic brings a lot more mobility.

I do worry about Jurkovic getting injured, but that's why they have to have another QB ready to go. If game situations permit it, I'm in the camp that likes to see a back-up QB get a series every game.

Slovis was frequently a stationary target for the defense. I believe Jurkovic brings a lot more mobility.

I do worry about Jurkovic getting injured, but that's why they have to have another QB ready to go. If game situations permit it, I'm in the camp that likes to see a back-up QB get a series every game.
I think Jurkovec will be Nick Patti but with a better arm.

Reactions: USN_Panther
You're right. When the wrong teams win, the conferences change the rules!

I think Jurkovec will be Nick Patti but with a better arm.

the best analogies I have seen is that he is in his free agent year playing for the big contract. So I think he will be highly motivated and hopefully have a big year.

Heck what would this board have thought 3 years ago if you told them they would have Jurkovec, Devonshire, Davis, McMillon, Donald and Ford on the roster? It's a new era, and the "we only want kids who want to be at Pitt" is a thing of the past.

Except Speca, no desire to see him here.

Reactions: Celtsfan
the best analogies I have seen is that he is in his free agent year playing for the big contract. So I think he will be highly motivated and hopefully have a big year.

Heck what would this board have thought 3 years ago if you told them they would have Jurkovec, Devonshire, Davis, McMillon, Donald and Ford on the roster? It's a new era, and the "we only want kids who want to be at Pitt" is a thing of the past.

Except Speca, no desire to see him here.
Another point that I wanted to say is that the recruiting/portal situation is a two way street.

If a local recruit goes elsewhere and decides he wants to transfer to Pitt, but the coaches don’t feel he can help the team, then they shouldn’t feel obligated to give him a scholarship.

Pitt ain’t the Statue of Liberty…

“Give me your frustrated, your misunderstood,
Your huddled masses yearning to come home and play…”

Reactions: pittdan77
I watched Jurkovec’s highlights for 2020-2022 and it shows that he has better pocket presence and mobility than Slovis showed us last year. He is willing to run to pick up big chunks of yardage.

However, these were just highlights so I didn’t see his bad plays. I do wonder from his highlights why he didn’t produce better numbers. I know he had injury problems and his OL became a disaster his last year with BC.

If he can be more consistent, avoid injuries and play the whole year, I expect about 3000 yds/25 TD passing with 350 yds/5 TD rushing. The key will be limiting turnovers. He won’t be spectacular but if the returning players step up to replace the production from the departing players, it may be enough to win 10 games.

There’s been some bitterness spewing on the board lately about the kids coming home and playing for Pitt after each of them failed to make an impact on a bigger stage. That's understandable. However the kids, the local coaches, parents and others didn’t believe Pitt could win at a higher level. Winning the last two years has changed their opinion. Read their own words…

https://www.si.com/college/pittsbur...ers-different-pitt-panthers-after-two-seasons

McMillon: McMillon said he took notice after Pitt won the 2021 ACC Championship. He said that season was an exciting time to follow the Panthers and it made him hungry to deliver a similar moment to his home city.

I think Duzz and the whole staff is really making something happen right now," McMillon said. "The 2021 ACC Championship, for example, that was an exciting thing to see and watch, not seeing an ACC Championship in a while. I’m excited to be a part of that and go get another one.”

Having the experience of losing the past two years didn’t really sit well with me and I feel like Pitt is on the rise and they just keep going," McMillon said. "I think we have an opportunity to go win and go do those big things and win an ACC Championship.”

Davis:I was able to see the build-up going on here and honestly, [head coach Pat] Narduzzi was able to turn this program around a lot in tremendous ways," Davis said. "So for me to be able to see that first-hand, I was like ‘Okay, Pitt has something’. Now they’re going to have something for real.”

Davis said he was able to see something different in this Pitt program while he watched from afar. After Pitt won 20 games over the past two seasons and ended both years ranked in the top 25, Davis sees the program in a much better light now than he did when he was recruited coming out of Gateway High School in the class of 2021.

Jurkovec: "There’s a lot of hardworking people and winners on this team," Jurkovec said. "They won a couple of years ago and this past year they had some success. Nine wins - that’s not where they want to be, but I really like that attitude. They’re not happy with nine wins even though they still had a lot of success a year ago.”

The reoccurring theme in their comments is winning. I’ve always said, winning cures everything. I said they needed to win with their 2, 3, and high 3-star players and the rest will take care of its self. They finally did it in 2021. Kids want to be associated with winners. It means more to them than lots of NIL money and atmosphere.

I’ve always hated the fact that locals went elsewhere and then wanted to come back, but the times have changed with the portal. We must put all that behind us and recruit kids that can keep the program winning regardless of circumstances.
I for one, have renamed PItt as "2nd (or 3rd chance for Phil) U".

lets just hope in 2027 that we can get a year from Gallagher, Martin, Speca and Lindsay..

Regarding Jurkovec, Cig has put his neck in the block for this coming season. It was fair and reasonable to debate that Slovis’ shortcomings in 2022 (being slow, unable to go through progressions, reluctant/unable to check down, timid after the concussion etc.) were very limiting to the Cig offense. Duz brought in Slovis before he brought in Cig, yet had promised Slovis he would start and never be benched. Patti likely had some injury issues after the TN game for at least a few weeks as well, and Yarnell is Kedon Lite. This all tied at least one arm behind Cigs back in 2022. But he has His Man now, he had better show a more dynamic offense. If he doesn’t, this will expose that the 2022 problems were at least Cig and not only Slovis.

Because we like him.

We does anyone car about what you think? You’re less than mediocre…..
As are you, you're like me, a BIG NOBODY posting on a message board, at least I wouldn't root for my team to not upgrade from a D2 QB like Patti.

As are you, you're like me, a BIG NOBODY posting on a message board, at least I wouldn't root for my team to not upgrade from a D2 QB like Patti.
i was down as anyone on Patti but man he really played well in that bowl game. so kudos to him for sticking it out and ending his career on a high note..

But even the biggest patti fans realize that had he started all year, we arent any better than we were. he was a good backup P5 QB, who could come in and your team doesnt immediately STB. there is something to be said for that.

And he seemed like a good guy, never embarrassed the program, etc.

Correct! I am a big nobody posting on a message board. However, you’ve taken a small comment about Patti and took the thread topic in another direction…

You sir are a thread stealing weasel!

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
I don’t think winning cures all.

It’s not like there was an uptick on the recruiting trail. The class finished 50th with an 86 average.

A lot of these guys in the portal just didn’t have options. Where was PJ going if not here?

A huge NFL arm.

And a comfort with turning it into backyard football. Which is huge in today’s game if you don’t just have very good to elite pieces all across the board.

His issues have largely been Slovis’ issues as well. PJ can’t read a defense to save his life. He’s not comfortable in the pocket. And he throws an unreasonably large % of interception worthy throws. And much like Slovis, these three things have been consistently there all 3 years in college.

I think the hope with PJ is for every bad thing he does, he produces a wow play as well. Something Slovis just couldn’t do due to physical limitations.

I don’t think winning cures all.

It’s not like there was an uptick on the recruiting trail. The class finished 50th with an 86 average.

A lot of these guys in the portal just didn’t have options. Where was PJ going if not here?
The effect of winning isn't negligible either. I don't think you were being absolute in that thought but you're probably not getting decent guys from other P5 programs if you're winning 5-7 games every year. Recruiting has to keep moving forward but I'm not sure how much the NIL dynamic has changed things and how well Pitt can keep up with it.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
The effect of winning isn't negligible either. I don't think you were being absolute in that thought but you're probably not getting decent guys from other P5 programs if you're winning 5-7 games every year. Recruiting has to keep moving forward but I'm not sure how much the NIL dynamic has changed things and how well Pitt can keep up with it.

For sure. I’d rather be trying to land these guys with a winning record, rather than with a losing record.

But I don’t think a lot of these players are the result of some big swing in the W-L record.

What else was PJ going to say? “Have you seen me play the last few years? I came here because they at least were willing to pick up the phone and I knew with 100% certainty I was going to start”?

What else was PJ going to say? “Have you seen me play the last few years? I came here because they at least were willing to pick up the phone and I knew with 100% certainty I was going to start”?
Well, that was my read on it, too. I do think he cold have landed somewhere in the P5 but probably not with a program that could be near the top of a conference with an outside chance of playing in a title game.

Yeah I don't know how much NIL does or doesn't change things, and since it's not public data, we may never really know. But there is a never ending chicken and egg debate about winning and recruiting but at some point you just need to get into the good spiral instead of bad spiral of how they connect, and Pitt is in that now. It's refreshing after like 40 years..

Reactions: Parkview57
i was down as anyone on Patti but man he really played well in that bowl game. so kudos to him for sticking it out and ending his career on a high note..

But even the biggest patti fans realize that had he started all year, we arent any better than we were. he was a good backup P5 QB, who could come in and your team doesnt immediately STB. there is something to be said for that.

And he seemed like a good guy, never embarrassed the program, etc.
Agree. Patti's a gamer with substandard arm talent. A good guy to come in and move the offense down the field when the starter is out. Not afraid to go off script, use his legs and put his body on the line. Has obvious leadership qualities. Nothing to dislike there.

Agree. Patti's a gamer with substandard arm talent. A good guy to come in and move the offense down the field when the starter is out. Not afraid to go off script, use his legs and put his body on the line. Has obvious leadership qualities. Nothing to dislike there.
he's what you want in a backup. any better, and you probably lose him to the portal.

Well, that was my read on it, too. I do think he cold have landed somewhere in the P5 but probably not with a program that could be near the top of a conference with an outside chance of playing in a title game.

He probably could have gone to like a Northwestern or something.

Reactions: pittdan77
agree, the ideal backup, but not someone you want for a whole ACC season
Not sure a team like PItt will ever have that type of backup QB to be honest. and that's not a knock on pitt, because 90% of P5 teams are in the same boat..

If you have a really good backup, who is capable of being the starter and leading your team to a really good year if they started, you are either going to lose him in the portal or he's a really good freshman playing behind a senior and was willing to wait one year before taking over...

other than that, if your backup is good, you are most likely gonna lose him to the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT