ADVERTISEMENT

With every local kid that turned down Pitt in last five years our program offers less and less.

jason754732

Walk-on
Aug 16, 2017
I can't blame the coaches when your own family turns on you. I feel it hurts all the fringe players that might have gotten offers!!! I was thinking about the Devonshire rebuke today and thought what has happenned? When we had a pipeline like aliquippa or clairton or central or gateway, we would extend a complimentary an offer to a fringe prospect. Now that most schools are scorning us, I see no reason why PITT should ever send another complimentary offer to any of these schools. HailtoPitt! We can live without West PA talent and we no longer need to offer it. Why only 8 only 8 kids got power five offers. HailtoPitt!!!!!!! Get your act together WPIAL coaches. You ARE HURTING YOUR KIDS, GROW UP!!!!!

I can't blame the coaches when your own family turns on you. I feel it hurts all the fringe players that might have gotten offers!!! I was thinking about the Devonshire rebuke today and thought what has happenned? When we had a pipeline like aliquippa or clairton or central or gateway, we would extend a complimentary an offer to a fringe prospect. Now that most schools are scorning us, I see no reason why PITT should ever send another complimentary offer to any of these schools. HailtoPitt! We can live without West PA talent and we no longer need to offer it. Why only 8 only 8 kids got power five offers. HailtoPitt!!!!!!! Get your act together WPIAL coaches. You ARE HURTING YOUR KIDS, GROW UP!!!!!
I meant to say only 8 wpial kids signed with power five conferences

There's far more blight on the locals for their attitude, since they're willfully overlooking that Pitt puts a fairly impressive number of guys into the league given our spotty success in W-l. That should be the focus of the local high school coaches and the families: the best chance of pro shot for their prospects. Going to Blue Blood U is much more unlikely to yield a solid career and legit NFL opp, because of the numbers game at those places. But these types tend to be a rather unsophisticated lot. They like the ego boost of pushing their best guys to the bigger profile programs. Plus, whatever impact of the wad in the hand during the handshake. But it's a tough situation, you get ripped for not emphasizing the locals, or pretending to, anyway.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Local talent is down in PA look elsewhere.
PSU or another top 10 will get the few good ones, so what, find the FL, TX, GA, pipleline, that's where the high octane football lives.
Go South and Southwest coaches!

Talk about not adapting to the new college football business model?????
There's a tarpit right outside the PITT football athletic office lets see if we can avoid it??

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:

When do you believe Pitt had a pipeline to Gateway?

Dorian Bell- OSU, thought he was big stuff flames out there in less than a semester.

Orney Bey- UNC, not sure of his career trajectory but he went there because of family connections.

Justin King- Wanted to get away, didn’t really fake interest in Pitt

Dondi Kirby, few other fringe guys- Went to Temple to follow their HC in Terry Smith.

Dayonne Nunley- Went to Miami of Ohio

Cam Saddler, Shayne Hayle- Arguably two of the best prospects chose Pitt 13-9 had a tremendous influence on Saddler.

The other fringe guys who escape me now went on to G5 schools because that’s where the interest was.

Rob Kalkstein- I believe played D2

Jaymar Parrish- Very nice kid, enjoyed playing a Pitt has a decent catch vs Clemson in 16

Two current prospects- Pitt has offers to, one of which is currently a sophomore, was offered last year and will most likely be a national recruit if he develops as projected.

This is from 2007-present so if Pitt has “less to offer” to Gateway students in that time it has extremely little to do with the current staff. Similarly D1 talented has dropped off a bit because Smith is not there to bring in transfers to play for him. He had individual recruits not teams. That’s why he didn’t fare well at Heinz.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Plus, whatever impact of the wad in the hand during the handshake. /QUOTE]

Ha ha ha. What’s the going rate for a WPIAL first team All Star? How much more would Pitt need to pay to keep these kids home? Surely it’s less than it costs to compete for Florida kids, no? Ha ha ha. Keep us enlightened on how it really works!

Eh

I think people are making too much of the local kids and the influence of the school. I reallly don’t think HS coaches have much influence over Kids who have strong support from their parents. Kids make college choices for a wide range of reasons from their relationship to the position/head coach at the University to the campus setting to the fan support , program succeed/profile, etc etc. often times is a number of these factors

Pitt is at a disadvantage in some of the major factors. Pitts campus is not a traditional campus, we don’t have an in campus stadium and our fan support is inferior to most schools. The last 30 years the program had been mediocre to a joke. Add in the smiley circus and instability in general and any coach who has this job as a huge uphill struggle to recruit

IMO the gym coach at their school is way way down the list if he’s a factor at all. Admittedly for some kids who don’t have a strong home environment the coach is a father figure and does have significant influence. But I don’t see that as the case with most of the kids that chose to go to other schools over the past few years

Reactions: Usuallyunusual
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT