ADVERTISEMENT

Wolfley continuously call Tunch

bayardstreet

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2016
“Chalooch”. He has been doing this for years during the radio broadcasts. Today he must have called Tunch “Chalooch” 15 times. Not exaggerating. I have no idea what the heck that means. If anybody can enlighten me ? Thanks

I listened to the game today for the first time in a couple years. Is it me or was Tunch very delayed in his speech and needing Wolfley to chime in to finish his sentences? It sounded like he was recovering from a stroke. Did I miss something in the off-season?

Wolfley was talking more than he ever has. In the past he would be in the sidelines but with the virus they have him as the 2nd analyst along with Tunch. It was weird. It was like he was taking over the broadcast.

I listened to the game today for the first time in a couple years. Is it me or was Tunch very delayed in his speech and needing Wolfley to chime in to finish his sentences? It sounded like he was recovering from a stroke. Did I miss something in the off-season?

I thought the same thing after I listened to some of the Giants game in the car. Tunch sounds like something happened, but I checked around online and couldn’t find anything.

Reactions: W1np1tt and Dan1911
“Chalooch”. He has been doing this for years during the radio broadcasts. Today he must have called Tunch “Chalooch” 15 times. Not exaggerating. I have no idea what the heck that means. If anybody can enlighten me ? Thanks
Didn’t listen on radio. Question for anyone who did:
How was Bill Hilgrove’s broadcast of the steeler game.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

I listened to the first 10 or so minutes. It's really hard to understand what is going on in the game ESPECIALLY with no crowd noise. The Steelers stopped them 3 and out but you would have had no idea. "Watson's pass over the middle" and then pause. The next thing was "Houston comes out in a punt formation".

Thanks in advance.

Status quo. I like the excitement in his voice when big plays happen, but perhaps that’s because the rest of his broadcast is a lot of fumbling of words and/or misidentification of players or plays. I appreciate his longevity, but I hate to see someone struggle past their prime. I think it’s a difficult decision for both the Steelers and Pitt, but perhaps they can honor him with a farewell tour this season.

Reactions: W1np1tt
This is wild speculation, but maybe that’s a personal nickname that he uses for Tunch...? Those guys are long-time buddies, so maybe that’s what he calls him in their conversations.

Whew, I'm glad. Back in the day everyone wondered what happened when Tonto and The Lone-Ranger broke up. It turns out the Lone Ranger found out Kemo Sabee meant Sh*t Head.
This spring, it took a global pandemic to keep them apart for the first time since they ended their careers on different teams in the early 1990s. Wolfley’s kids refer to Ilkin as “Uncle Tunch.” The Ilkins consider Wolfley extended family. Listeners to their radio show hear them call each other, “Chalooch,” a nickname lifted from one of their favorite movies, “The Pope of Greenwich Village.”

Whew, I'm glad. Back in the day everyone wondered what happened when Tonto and The Lone-Ranger broke up. It turns out the Lone Ranger found out Kemo Sabee meant Sh*t Head.
That’s an old joke, but still very funny!

My favorite Lone Ranger joke is Tonto & the Lone Ranger found themselves on the plain surrounded by several tribes of angry Indians. There was no way out and they were moving in for the kill. Lone Ranger looks over to Tonto and says "This doesn't look good, I guess we are doomed". To which Tonto replies "What you mean 'we' pale face"?

Ilkin sounds like he had a stroke or a severe cognitive issue. The fact that no one is talking about it speaks volumes. It will come out at some point. I wish him the best.

He recently said he wanted to go back to Turkey to coach football. I’d be worried. Muslims who convert to another religion are apostates and are killed for this crime. Granted, Turkey is more modern, but under Erdogan, i wouldn’t push it.

Wolf has been covering for his speech issues. Very noticeable

Ilkin sounds like he had a stroke or a severe cognitive issue. The fact that no one is talking about it speaks volumes. It will come out at some point. I wish him the best.

He recently said he wanted to go back to Turkey to coach football. I’d be worried. Muslims who convert to another religion are apostates and are killed for this crime. Granted, Turkey is more modern, but under Erdogan, i wouldn’t push it.

Wolf has been covering for his speech issues. Very noticeable
He was better in the section I heard - except Wofley just never shuts up
Hillgrove was as inaccurate as ever

I know Tunch and his wife. Tunch was having headaches and some issues with his head this Spring. He's on a vegan diet now and it's helped him a bit. I'm not sure about the other specifics.

I also noticed Tunch was slow, like he had a stroke or something. Wolfley did seem to finish his sentences and thought processes. I noticed that a few weeks ago. Hope he is ok, but he does seem slow processing his thoughts, alot of, "yea, yea". Wasn't sure it was because Wolf was now in booth instead of on sidelines but he sure was talking alot more than before. Glad others noticed, I thought it was just me.

Because they are all awful broadcasters
Listened to the first half on the radio driving home -
Had no idea what was happening 80% of the time since it’s just yammering nonsense -
And hillgrove is as incoherent as ever
Like many I love Billy and think of his voice covering big Pitt games over the years. I met Billy when he was in his young 70's when he would work out in the same gym as I and talk Pitt football to anyone who would listen. And when no one would listen he would talk high school football. I though it was amazing a 70 year old man would hit the gym daily and talk football and know so much about recruiting, big high school matchups, college games, and then finally steeler games. Obviously I knew his time had passed and his game calling was poor. Now it is a joke, and Pitt needs to do something about it. I was surprised 10 years ago how strong he was mentally and physically in person, yet he still struggled on the air. Time gets us all.

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT