ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s basketball

Unfortuantely, women’s basketball has very few fans and nobody really cares. But he’s just been awful. Pitt made 3 baskets in the entire third quarter.

• Wow
Reactions: cabe23 and jctrack
Another bad loss. I sat at
home watching as we
built a 34-17 lead. All our
players seeing time looked
very good. Sccoring was
evenly distributed. Amy
even hit a three. Clemson
looked awful, throwing the
ball away time and time
again (9 To's in the 1st Qtr).
Hmm....I thought this is as
good as we've looked all
year. and Clemson stinks.
So, I thought we're about to
get our first ACC win. I left
and ran some errands. Oh
stupid me!

Came back later, two plus
minutes left in the fourth
we're down 15 or so. WTF
happened? One look at the
stats and I saw 48 second
half pts. (didn't we give up
50 in the last two games?)
Did we fall asleep in the
second half?...24-8, 24-15.
One big thing I noticed in the
stats.....Clemson with 14 TO's.
They had that many or close
to it in the 1st half? Did they
start playing error free ball?
As for Pitt what did we do or
not do in that second half?
Please dont say we just stopped
scoring. LOL

With a minute and a half to go in the 2nd quarter Pitt was up 34-17. With four and a half minutes left in the 3rd quarter Pitt was losing 43-40. That's a 26-6 run. At one point it was 18-2. At the end of the quarter it was up to 31-8. And it didn't really get any better from there. 55-20 over the last 21-1/2 minutes of the game.

The difference was that Clemson made adjustments, both offensively and defensively. And Pitt kept right on doing what they do. You'd think somewhere in that 18-2 run, or at any time over that 55-20 two plus quarters that you'd try something, anything, to see if it would make a difference. Nope.

Another bad loss. I sat at
home watching as we
built a 34-17 lead. All our
players seeing time looked
very good. Sccoring was
evenly distributed. Amy
even hit a three. Clemson
looked awful, throwing the
ball away time and time
again (9 To's in the 1st Qtr).
Hmm....I thought this is as
good as we've looked all
year. and Clemson stinks.
So, I thought we're about to
get our first ACC win. I left
and ran some errands. Oh
stupid me!

Came back later, two plus
minutes left in the fourth
we're down 15 or so. WTF
happened? One look at the
stats and I saw 48 second
half pts. (didn't we give up
50 in the last two games?)
Did we fall asleep in the
second half?...24-8, 24-15.
One big thing I noticed in the
stats.....Clemson with 14 TO's.
They had that many or close
to it in the 1st half? Did they
start playing error free ball?
As for Pitt what did we do or
not do in that second half?
Please dont say we just stopped
scoring. LOL

They changed the way were attacking the zone. Most of those 1st quarter turnovers were when for some reason they were trying to throw cross court passes from the wing on one side to either the low post or the corner on the other side. Sometimes we intercepted those passes in the zone and sometimes they threw the passes over the zone, and over their players head as well. Then they stopped doing that. Instead they passed the ball into the foul line area. And one of three things happened. If our "bigs" jumped up they dumped the ball down into the low post for a layup. If the "smalls" came down to cover them they kicked it out to the three point line on the wings where they had open shots (although they didn't take or make a ton of threes). And if no one came to them quickly enough they shot the open 12-15 foot jumper, and they made a ton of those.

That's a big difference between the two teams. Clemson got a ton of open looks in the foul line area, and they took those shots and made those shots. Pitt also got a ton of open looks in the foul line area. Because Pitt kept flashing Brown and King to that area. The difference was that when those two get the ball there, the defense is perfectly fine with either of them taking that shot, no matter how open it is, because neither of them can make that shot. So there was no need to step out off of someone in the low blocks. There was no need to have guards come down on them, they could just stay with the player they were guarding on the perimeter. Because we never put anyone in that spot who could make a shot from there.

Clemson also changed their press, which led to a ton of turnovers. At the beginning we were breaking the press by giving the ball to Brown and letting her bring it up. Her defender didn't really go into the backcourt to pressure her, because she wasn't mobile enough to guard for 94 feet. But then Clemson recognized what we were doing and they started using one of their guards to pressure Brown when she tried to bring the ball up court. And we did not handle that well at all.

And the other thing about that that bothers me is that even when we did break the press we rarely attacked off of it with a numbers advantage. We'd just hold the ball out and run the regular offense. If you want someone to stop pressing you, make it hurt when they do it and it's not successful. For Clemson, there was no downside to pressing. We never made them pay for getting overextended and out of position. They got all the benefits of a press with none of the downside.

They changed the way were attacking the zone. Most of those 1st quarter turnovers were when for some reason they were trying to throw cross court passes from the wing on one side to either the low post or the corner on the other side. Sometimes we intercepted those passes in the zone and sometimes they threw the passes over the zone, and over their players head as well. Then they stopped doing that. Instead they passed the ball into the foul line area. And one of three things happened. If our "bigs" jumped up they dumped the ball down into the low post for a layup. If the "smalls" came down to cover them they kicked it out to the three point line on the wings where they had open shots (although they didn't take or make a ton of threes). And if no one came to them quickly enough they shot the open 12-15 foot jumper, and they made a ton of those.

That's a big difference between the two teams. Clemson got a ton of open looks in the foul line area, and they took those shots and made those shots. Pitt also got a ton of open looks in the foul line area. Because Pitt kept flashing Brown and King to that area. The difference was that when those two get the ball there, the defense is perfectly fine with either of them taking that shot, no matter how open it is, because neither of them can make that shot. So there was no need to step out off of someone in the low blocks. There was no need to have guards come down on them, they could just stay with the player they were guarding on the perimeter. Because we never put anyone in that spot who could make a shot from there.

Clemson also changed their press, which led to a ton of turnovers. At the beginning we were breaking the press by giving the ball to Brown and letting her bring it up. Her defender didn't really go into the backcourt to pressure her, because she wasn't mobile enough to guard for 94 feet. But then Clemson recognized what we were doing and they started using one of their guards to pressure Brown when she tried to bring the ball up court. And we did not handle that well at all.

And the other thing about that that bothers me is that even when we did break the press we rarely attacked off of it with a numbers advantage. We'd just hold the ball out and run the regular offense. If you want someone to stop pressing you, make it hurt when they do it and it's not successful. For Clemson, there was no downside to pressing. We never made them pay for getting overextended and out of position. They got all the benefits of a press with none of the downside.
Thanks, for two detailed
responses. The way Clemson
was attacking our zone at
first was comical. They
actually threw the same
left to right diagonal pass
out of bounds four times.
They also threw away other
passes. missed many inside
chippies and were getting
beat on the other end of the
floor. We actually looked.
legit. I even liked how we
spread the floor and got
good looks.

2nd half sounds like there
were no adustments on our
part while Clemson made
some. Also, I agree with your
comments on Brown. She's
unfortunately an undersized
inside player. All anyone has
to do is watch her handling
the ball on the outside, No
team guards her out there.
She actually has a pretty good
handle but has no shot, Thus
she's no threat from beyond
six feet or so.

Amazing how we didn't "make
them pay" in an overetended
press....it wasnt that long ago
that our outta control racehorse
style had us doing the opposite.

Again I feel sorry for these young
women. They're athletic, have
some quicks, and have improved
skill wise. They should have been
led differently, FAR differently.

Take the money that you were going to use for Capel’s buyout to bring Dawn Staley back up north lol
I've mentioned Dawn Staley
on here numerous times.
If she did come "north," I
doubt it's to western Pa.
She's a Philly native. We
shoulda tried for her when
she left Temple for S.C.

Caroline was on Agnes's staff here and has been at GW and now Stony Brook as a HC. Has local ties and knows the area. Would be a great hire IMO
Ok, I see now that she has more experience. I only saw the first paragraph stating 2nd season at helm.

Lance White is a nice guy and he has assistant coaches who looked capable. But he has been terrible. I'm going to the game tonight to support the team but I expect Pitt to lose by more than 20.

I can't bring myself to go down tonight. I would be shocked if they don't get hammered, and after that Clemson game on Sunday I don't want the frustration.

69-62 VT.
Women played well tonight. They have looked very good at times but just can't get it together. I was talking with a Pitt administrator on Sunday and said Lance could possibly have a good season next year that Jeff is having. Idk if HL will replace Lance just have to wait and see. H2P

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
Women played well tonight. They have looked very good at times but just can't get it together. I was talking with a Pitt administrator on Sunday and said Lance could possibly have a good season next year that Jeff is having. Idk if HL will replace Lance just have to wait and see. H2P
They did play well.Not a total collapse like other games.Maybe she will give him more time.

I like Coach White, but he just hasn’t addressed the need for a post player and he hasn’t found any real difference makers. In his first recruiting class, he brought in Rita (6-4) and Cynthia (6-2), to address the lack of height. In the rest of his time he didn’t add one post player - even after Rita transferred.

And he finds decent, solid players, but not difference makers. I think he thought Day Harris was going to be his Brianna Keisel - but she never developed into that player after a very promising freshman year.

They did make some progress offensively this season - I assume that was the influence of new assistants Coach DiPillo and Coach Keisel. I’d just like to see a fresh approach next season. I doubt they win an ACC game this season.

Go Pitt.

I am happy I was wrong about the game. Down 2 at the half. Still in it late in the game.

I like Coach White, but he just hasn’t addressed the need for a post player and he hasn’t found any real difference makers. In his first recruiting class, he brought in Rita (6-4) and Cynthia (6-2), to address the lack of height. In the rest of his time he didn’t add one post player - even after Rita transferred.

And he finds decent, solid players, but not difference makers. I think he thought Day Harris was going to be his Brianna Keisel - but she never developed into that player after a very promising freshman year.

They did make some progress offensively this season - I assume that was the influence of new assistants Coach DiPillo and Coach Keisel. I’d just like to see a fresh approach next season. I doubt they win an ACC game this season.

Go Pitt.
I agree they have "made
some progress offensively
this season." I don't know
if it's the assistants . My
guess is the assistants
have inflluenced the style
of play. If not why did the
outta control, racehorse
approach White was using
previously, disappear to?

And yes, he has found
"decent players." King and
Johnson along with the
three frosh, and Huchesron
can all play. Even though
theyre good, in the ACC
they're not special. All of
those teams have that
talent and better, along
with legit Bigs. Today's
gme with VT shows us
hanging in there, but as
usual getting beat inside.
If they had a legit big, I
believe they woulda won
today.

Question is....will Lyke
give him anther year?

Reactions: jctrack
Question is....will Lyke
give him anther year?

It probably largely depends on his contract and how many years it has left to run. There is pretty much nothing that has happened on the court that would lead anyone to think that he "deserves" to be back.

He's been the head coach for 74 ACC games now. And he has 8 ACC wins. 8-66. That's a .108 winning percentage for those of you scoring at home. Overall, 39-90, .302. That is simply god awful.

I have no inside knowledge on this, but given the way that she has played this season and how limited her playing time has been this season, I don't think that she's 100% healthy. I really think that she's on a minutes limit. She just doesn't seem to have the quickness or explosion that she had as a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT