ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s basketball

This team has lost its last 2 games, at home, by 70 points. Can it really get any worse than that?

This team has lost its last 2 games, at home, by 70 points. Can it really get any worse than that?

They play a better team than Syracuse (although not as good as Notre Dame) on the road on Sunday. I don't know if it will get worse, but it probably could.

We made Syracuse, an
average ACC team,
look like the Celtics. Do
we even have a clue on
the D side of the ball?
Dyaisha Fair was 7-10
from three point land.
There were times she
was wide open and not
a Pitt player anywhere
near her. Yes, she's
good, but did we we
ever adjust defensively?
Not that I could see.
Here's a crazy but very
telling stat....they were
6-6 on FT's. The 100%
is good shooting, but
why only 6 FT's? Hell
Fair NEVER went to
the line. We shoulda
been all over her. It
sure as hell wasn't great
D that had the foul total
so low. To further make
the pont, we allowed
53%- Fg's, 55%-3''s, and
100% Ft's. Oh wait, they
forced us into 20 TO's,
and literally killed us on
the glass 40 to 27.

Where oh where is that
poster who got on us
for actually suggesting
a coaching change.

Dyaisha Fair was 7-10
from three point land.
There were times she
was wide open and not
a Pitt player anywhere
near her. Yes, she's
good, but did we we
ever adjust defensively?

And here's the thing. For large portions of the game, especially in the first half, Fair looked like she was, well, disinterested wouldn't be the right word, but she looked like she was a lot more interested in getting her teammates involved than she was in scoring herself. She actually passed up quite a few open looks early in the game to pass the ball off to teammates. If she were a little more aggressive in looking for shots she could have easily been in the 30s. Or more.

I do think, however, that I have figured out just what this defense that we are playing is trying to accomplish. As you pointed out, we gave up open looks on the perimeter like crazy, but we also gave up a ton of open layups. I think what we are trying to do is to completely confuse the opponents.

"I am wide open at the three point line, I should probably shoot. But wait, there's my teammate standing all alone under the basket, I should pass her the ball. But three pointers are worth an extra point, so I should take the shot. But even though I am open she's going to make that open layup a lot more often than I'm going to make this three, so I should pass it to her. But, ahhhhh, I don't know what to do. I'll pass it to one of my other teammates and they can try to figure it out."

Seriously, I know we have a height deficit which doesn't help, but I don't think that there is one player on this team that understands how to defend in the post. The number of times that a Syracuse player had the ball on the wing and the big was on the opposite low block and our defender just stayed behind them and allowed them to step to the ball and catch an easy pass and shoot an open layup was unbelievable. And I can't see how that is on the players. I mean literally none of them defended it correctly. It can't be that they are being taught correctly but not even one of them can figure it out. It just can't.

And here's the thing. For large portions of the game, especially in the first half, Fair looked like she was, well, disinterested wouldn't be the right word, but she looked like she was a lot more interested in getting her teammates involved than she was in scoring herself. She actually passed up quite a few open looks early in the game to pass the ball off to teammates. If she were a little more aggressive in looking for shots she could have easily been in the 30s. Or more.

I do think, however, that I have figured out just what this defense that we are playing is trying to accomplish. As you pointed out, we gave up open looks on the perimeter like crazy, but we also gave up a ton of open layups. I think what we are trying to do is to completely confuse the opponents.

"I am wide open at the three point line, I should probably shoot. But wait, there's my teammate standing all alone under the basket, I should pass her the ball. But three pointers are worth an extra point, so I should take the shot. But even though I am open she's going to make that open layup a lot more often than I'm going to make this three, so I should pass it to her. But, ahhhhh, I don't know what to do. I'll pass it to one of my other teammates and they can try to figure it out."

Seriously, I know we have a height deficit which doesn't help, but I don't think that there is one player on this team that understands how to defend in the post. The number of times that a Syracuse player had the ball on the wing and the big was on the opposite low block and our defender just stayed behind them and allowed them to step to the ball and catch an easy pass and shoot an open layup was unbelievable. And I can't see how that is on the players. I mean literally none of them defended it correctly. It can't be that they are being taught correctly but not even one of them can figure it out. It just can't.
Paragraph 3 very funny,
but then again...what if.

Paragraph 4's example
is downright pathetic.
It wouldn't be so bad if
it were just getting over
powered on the inside,
of if it were a result of
a sophistcted set, or
tough picks and screens.
It's none of those things.
I don't get why a TO isn't
called and corrected on
the spot. Even worse, I
know there's game film.
Don't they study these
mistakes and then follow
up on the floor with
adjustments? ALL teams
do this, it's basic. I've
seen these players do
post game interviews. I
know that they're smart
enough to learn and to
absob this stuff.

With all that said, the low
post example you gave
should have been taken
care of by an instinctive
move down on the blocks.
Hell, just move into the
obvious passing lane. I
wonder if that would
even resonate with some
of these players. If not, I
blame the coach for not
getting them to that point.

And before that jackass
poster comes on here and
comments that we're being
unreasonable for suggesting
an obvious coaching change;
Oh well, I'll behave and let
others have their say.

I thought offensively they
did enough to win the
game. The defense though
is a whole other matter.
They gave up a lot of
height inside as always,
but the zone and the
fundamental mistakes
we make playing it, takes
us right out of the game
whenever we get close.

Seemed to be competitive today. But we get 33 rebounds and they get 44. We get 6 offensive rebounds and they get 12. In the end, they got to take 5 more shots than we did and they win by 5. Oh well.

Seemed like in the final regular season game, Coach actually shortened the bench. Bizzaro…

Go Pitt.

To their credit they seem
like good athletes who
have kept up their team
spirit. They hustle and
seem to care for their
team mates. The real
problem lies elsewhere,
and I have a hunch we might
see some changes made.
We'll know soon enough.

SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2018–19Pittsburgh11–202–1414thNone
2019–20Pittsburgh5–261–1715thNone
2020–21Pittsburgh5–143–1212thNone
2021–22Pittsburgh11–192–16T-14thNone
2022–23Pittsburgh10–193–1515th
Pittsburgh Totals:42–98 (.300)11–74 (.129)

Hm, the PSN article I read must have lied then, it said last in 3 seasons, but two 15s and two 14s is basically the same lol

No Washenitz today for some reason,

I don't know if it's coincidence or causation, but he ditched the moronic hockey line changes today and the team actually played pretty well. And I don't mean pretty well against an ACC bottom feeder like us, I mean against an actual good ACC team. On the road.

Although it should be noted that NC State was playing without Diamond Johnson, who is their leading scorer and assister, and close to their leading rebounder.

I don't know if it's coincidence or causation, but he ditched the moronic hockey line changes today and the team actually played pretty well. And I don't mean pretty well against an ACC bottom feeder like us, I mean against an actual good ACC team. On the road.

Although it should be noted that NC State was playing without Diamond Johnson, who is their leading scorer and assister, and close to their leading rebounder.
Well the "pretty well" I
feel fits with the offensive
side. We actually shot it
pretty well with four players
in double figures and 40.9%
on our threes. However we
were beaten badly on the
glass again. They were BIG.
Harris 0 pts...16 min...???

The defense ? Well I saw
what I guess masqueraded
as a zone.It's amazing that
NC ST was able to have open
passing lanes through
what should be the teeth
of our zone. One specific
instance was a pass from
a good 25 feet away to
a wide open player down
low in the blocks, There was
no Pitt player in an already
set defense to prevent,
deflect, or intercept that
pass. Just when I think I'd
seen it all. Oh well, what else
is new....LOL

Good point

Hm, the PSN article I read must have lied then, it said last in 3 seasons, but two 15s and two 14s is basically the same lol
Tied for 14th means they were tied for last. Thus no 15th place finish in the ACC in 2022. So it is true they finished in last place in 3 of the last four seasons.

We made Syracuse, an
average ACC team,
look like the Celtics. Do
we even have a clue on
the D side of the ball?
Dyaisha Fair was 7-10
from three point land.
There were times she
was wide open and not
a Pitt player anywhere
near her. Yes, she's
good, but did we we
ever adjust defensively?
Not that I could see.
Here's a crazy but very
telling stat....they were
6-6 on FT's. The 100%
is good shooting, but
why only 6 FT's? Hell
Fair NEVER went to
the line. We shoulda
been all over her. It
sure as hell wasn't great
D that had the foul total
so low. To further make
the pont, we allowed
53%- Fg's, 55%-3''s, and
100% Ft's. Oh wait, they
forced us into 20 TO's,
and literally killed us on
the glass 40 to 27.

Where oh where is that
poster who got on us
for actually suggesting
a coaching change.
I'm right here. Its not that you suggested a coaching change. Its that you and your ilk relish the thought of a Coach being fired. How many posts did you make demanding Capel be fired. You probably can't count that high How many posts did you make about Duzz having to be fired. Yo have no credibility. All you want is firing for your pleasure. Maybe its you who should be fired. But wait, you are probably the perfect employee. NOT

I'm right here. Its not that you suggested a coaching change. Its that you and your ilk relish the thought of a Coach being fired. How many posts did you make demanding Capel be fired. You probably can't count that high How many posts did you make about Duzz having to be fired. Yo have no credibility. All you want is firing for your pleasure. Maybe its you who should be fired. But wait, you are probably the perfect employee. NOT
Are you defending a coach who has won 11 ACC games in 5 years?

PittED - “…relish the thought of a Coach being fired.” I’m sorry but this strikes me as crazy-talk. I’ve had the chance to talk to Coach White (and his wife) and to Coach Mitchell, and you couldn’t find nicer and more dedicated people. For 5 years I have really rooted for them and hoped to see them succeed. But it just hasn’t happened - I take no pleasure in seeing Pitt have to move on and try yet again to find a women’s BB Coach who can make Pitt competitive…

Reactions: jctrack and Franb
You obviously have a
bug up your ass when
it comes to Capel... "how
many posts did I have
"demanding Capel be
fired" NONE. The "ilk"
that you're referring to
likes to rehash bball games
and yes, coaching plans
and strategies. When the
program gets this bad, as.
others have repeatedly
told you, yes.... suggesting
a coaching change fits on
a sports message board.

I'm glad you responded to
"where oh where is that
poster....." You've once
again proven that you're
both delusional and
apparently unaware of
another league bottom
finish. 11-74, 5 yr ACC
record.

So hotshot, as an expert
in HR, tell us what you'd
suggest. Maybe a five year
extension?

I think maybe you guys are being too harsh here. I mean it could just be a matter of perspective here. For example, it makes perfect sense that someone who, for instance, went to their first Pitt women's basketball game more than 40 years ago, who has had season tickets for nearly two decades now, and who takes the time to actually goes to the games could have a completely different perspective on this than someone who, for instance, is first paying a little bit of attention to the Pitt women's team because they have a local player on the team.

One of those kinds of people might just care a wee little bit more than the other. Might be more inclined to demand, well, not success, but how about a minimal level of competence.

ADVERTISEMENT